Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Default Re: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That easily could be taken out of context.

Am I wrong to assume that the longer this goes on the less likely it is that Vogel will be the coach?
    If Bird has ANY interest in Casey, he may just be waiting until the playoffs are over so he can give the guy an fair chance at an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    Not saying that Adelman's lack of an agent would be a deciding factor, but I can see the scenario being a good fit for Larry's personality.
    On the other hand, Bird would be interviewing and hiring the coach, not the coach's agent. Did JOB have an agent? How about Carlisle?

Default Re: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I think you have an excellent point. Makes me wonder if Bird might have been referring to paying for coaches when he commented about Herb willing to spend money.

I wonder if Bird has a problem, uncomfortable, with face to face interviews with coaches? I personally would look upon with distain an over the phone intereview for a job. I want to talk to people face to face and look them in the eye when talking to them.
    I think if the person you are speaking to is someone you are not familiar with, or maybe have only met briefly, then you are right. However, my guess is Bird knows some of these people pretty well, if not on a close personal basis then by their history in the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like Rick Adelman. He's one of the better coaches out there. Honestly the coaches that have been mentioned for the job, I am comfortable with them all. It seems like there is a much better selection than there was 4 years ago.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Casey has already interviewed with the Rockets, so Pacers don't necessarily have to wait until after the finals to interview him. On the other hand, we may have to get in line behind Golden State.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    To me, I would think that Vogel very much wants to hire his own staff, and this is just Bird giving him an excuse to fire all of JOB's hires.
    Too convoluted for me. Likelier explanation is that Bird will want to pick out the coaching staff for Vogel, figuring Vogel doesn't have the experience, connections, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And one would think perhaps, maybe, no guarantees here because we all know that JOB was the stupidest and most evil human being to ever coach a basketball team, that some of those assistants were good? I mean, we're of a general consensus that at least one guy who spent his entire career with O'Brien did pretty well.
    During his lame duck year, Obie added a couple of newbie coaches in Walter McCarty and Vitaly Potapenko to his staff, probably just to get them a start in the business. Whether or not they have potential down the road, it seems clear that they won't be asked back, not if we're looking for experience. The other assistants are Jay DeFruscio, who has an ok resume so he may be asked back, and Dan Burke, who has been here since Bird was coach, and in fact is the only assistant coach helping out with the draft, so he seems a lock to return. So altogether there's maybe one Obie holdover who could be retained, other than Vogel himself.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree Burke is a safe lock to stay. DeFruscio is probably going to stay too. Vitaly and Walter are more than likely gone, giving us room for the Rifleman and a big man coach (or do we just bring in a "consultant" to work with Roy in that role?).
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Vitaly is our big man coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Vitaly is our big man coach.
    uh....yeah so we bring in a big man coach right?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I agree Burke is a safe lock to stay. DeFruscio is probably going to stay too. Vitaly and Walter are more than likely gone, giving us room for the Rifleman and a big man coach (or do we just bring in a "consultant" to work with Roy in that role?).

By 'consultant', do you mean 'a shrink' ? If so, YES !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jackson shimmy For This Useful Post:

I was actually pretty puzzled when McCarty and Potapenko were brought in.

They didn't really have much coaching experience or really anything to offer other than being former players.

McCarty's game didn't really seem to be of much need for the way our big men play. Just an O'Brien decision. Very random.

Potapenko was also a pretty random hiring considering other big men coaches we could've brought in.

I'd say Dan Burke is remaining on the staff since he's been here for years and is a defensive coach.

Vogel seems to like Jay DeFruscio. They're usually talking and seem to be on the same level of coaching so he's probably going to stay.

With 3 spots open, I'd like to add a former head coach specifically Eddie Jordan who doesn't appear to be getting any kind of interviews at this time so being an assistant might help him if he wants to coach again.

The next 2 are up for grabs.

I'd want to add Jeff to our coaching staff as a big man coach. Roy's always given him a lot of credit for helping him improve.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yep more phone interviews ......
    Did your phone break? You got something against phones?

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Did your phone break? You got something against phones?
    Its the whole JOB was hired from a phone interview thing.

I see where it comes from, but its a common practice that was done before JOB was hired.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

I agree with the former head coach thing Trophy, although Eddie Jordan would literally be the last person I ever called to be on a coaching staff that wasn't above the high school level.

I think Bird would be able to get some decent coaches in under Vogel. I absolutely want to keep Burke and DeFruscio around. I think Person would be a terrific hire, as would Shaw and Laimbeer. I don't know that Shaw would come here to be an assistant. He will get one of the head coaching jobs. This is kind of a slap in the face to Shaw from the Lakers, because he had a head coaching offer last year but turned it down in hopes of getting the Lakers gig. I think he is deserving.

What about Jim O'Brien for Head Assistant? I think he is available.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I'd like Rick Adelman. He's one of the better coaches out there. Honestly the coaches that have been mentioned for the job, I am comfortable with them all. It seems like there is a much better selection than there was 4 years ago.
    I would be very happy with Adelman. He runs a lot of high post offense that our team is used to, but maybe would have us a little tepid over as fans.

I think as for the hiring search four years ago, that no one was willing to come here with our roster makeup. It has a lot more to do with our cap situation and the young players we have this time. We had bad veterans on long horrible contracts and a lack of youthful talent. That sounds like a coaching sesspool to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

What about Jim O'Brien for Head Assistant? I think he is available.

I almost mentioned it in jest as well, but I decided against it.

Lester Conners?? I don't know if that would work though.

What ever happened to Jim Boylan, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

I was actually pretty puzzled when McCarty and Potapenko were brought in.

They didn't really have much coaching experience or really anything to offer other than being former players.

Job security, fortunately it didn't work!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think if the person you are speaking to is someone you are not familiar with, or maybe have only met briefly, then you are right. However, my guess is Bird knows some of these people pretty well, if not on a close personal basis then by their history in the league.
    Yeah I think these telephone interviews everyone seems to hate are a lot like this. Bird knows all these guys, it's probably just a simple conversation to see what direction each candidate would like to go with our squad. If I remember correctly, when the Colts hired Tony Dungy the first talks he had with Irsay was via a phone conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    What ever happened to Jim Boylan, anyone know?
    He's still with Skiles in Milwaukee.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I would like to see a big man coach brought in. Not just to work with Roy but Tyler as well. I wasn't so big on it when David Harrison was here (as I never thought he was worth 2 cents) but if you can attract the right coach I think its a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    And one would think perhaps, maybe, no guarantees here because we all know that JOB was the stupidest and most evil human being to ever coach a basketball team, that some of those assistants were good? I mean, we're of a general consensus that at least one guy who spent his entire career with O'Brien did pretty well.
    absolutely..

It isn't like people don't use others as a stepping stone to get their foot in the door in the NBA, or advance their careers getting much needed experience on a coaching staff..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Sam Mitchell
    You know, this name hasn't been brought up. I wonder why that is. Do you think S-Mitch is being considered?

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

vogel would be the safest pick. We've seen what he can do and that is play and develop young guys, make smart descions and is young enough to relate to the players. Jim O'Brien was a respected coach around the league after leading the celtics an ECF appearence but look how he did. I don't want another veteran-loving idiot when about 75% of our future team and talent will be young players. I want a rookie head coach not some recycled coach.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    You know, this name hasn't been brought up. I wonder why that is. Do you think S-Mitch is being considered?
    IMO, he's a pretty underrated coach.

He won that COY for a reason in 2007 and got that Raptors team to be in 3rd place.

Outside of Chris Bosh, that team really didn't have too much so he played a big role there.

He's an assistant under Avery Johnson in New Jersey now.

Vogel with an experienced coaching staff makes sense, but wouldn't the assistants make just as much as Vogel? I can see a Vogel/Frank or a Vogel/Woodson combination.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to eldubious For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    You know... that would be the 2011 version of the Jim O'Brien hire. The almost-forgotten former coach with a decent but certainly not great resume.

Yeesh, that's going to be stuck in my head and I'm half-expecting him to be our next coach now.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Mitchell is an assistant with the Nets right now, under Avery Johnson.

I'm not sure I'd want him for head coach, but certainly he's the sort of tough disciplinarian you'd want to pair up with Vogel.