Thread: Former Indiana Pacer Jalen Rose pleads guilty to drunken driving

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Former Indiana Pacer Jalen Rose pleads guilty to drunken driving

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6588997

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich. -- Former Michigan star and NBA player Jalen Rose pleaded guilty Wednesday to drunken driving, telling a judge he was embarrassed to admit that he drank six martinis the night he veered off a snowy road and rolled his Cadillac Escalade.

Standing beside his attorney, Rose pleaded guilty in district court in Bloomfield Hills to operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He faces up to 93 days in a jail, a $500 fine and court costs when he's sentenced July 27.

Rose was arrested March 11 in neighboring West Bloomfield Township.

Despite what an officer described as an odor of intoxicants on Rose's breath and slightly blood shot eyes, Rose told police that night he didn't have a drink and that he doesn't drink.

The story was different before Judge Kimberly Small, who asked Rose how many drinks he had leading up to the crash.

"I'm embarrassed to say I had six drinks that evening," Rose said softly.

When Small asked how large the drinks were, Rose replied: "I'm embarrassed to say probably too big."

The drinks were equivalent to about 12 regular-sized drinks, Small responded.

Authorities said Rose had a 0.088 blood-alcohol level, above Michigan's legal driving limit of 0.08 percent. A hospital blood test revealed his blood-alcohol content was actually 0.12.

Rose, an NBA analyst for ESPN, left the courthouse without speaking with reporters.

A basketball standout at Detroit Southwestern High School, the brash Rose was part of Michigan's famous Fab Five, which reached the NCAA title games in 1992 and 1993. He spent 13 years in the NBA, reaching the finals with Indiana in 2000.

Rose and his female passenger were unhurt in the rollover off the two-lane Walnut Lake Road, about 20 miles northwest of Detroit. In a statement released March 30, Rose said he wasn't "feeling impaired" at the time of the accident.

Rose was given several field sobriety tests and had difficulty with each one, West Bloomfield officer Robert Stevens wrote in his report.

While stretched along the back seat of a patrol car, Rose later told the officer that there was no reason for his arrest. When he was told it was for driving while intoxicated, Rose replied: "For what, sir? But I haven't been drinking."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Former Indiana Pacer Jalen Rose pleads guilty to drunken driving

.12 on 12 drinks? The man has a huge tolerance. The fact that he got a DUI is terrible, but that really jumped out at me.
    Last edited by idioteque; 05-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.

the blood alcohol level has nothing to do with tolerance.

you can be inebriated with a BAC of 0.1 and be completely sober with a BAC of .96
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .12 on 12 drinks? The man has a huge tolerance.
    Depends on the time frame, if he ate or not, what he was drinking, etc ......

props to jalen for being a man and standing up and admitting his mistake.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bet thats the last time he goes to dinner with Sir charles

Jalen Rose is a big boy, that's why his BAC was as low it was with as much as he had to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    the blood alcohol level has nothing to do with tolerance.

you can be inebriated with a BAC of 0.1 and be completely sober with a BAC of .96
    Doubt ANYONE would be completely sober with a BAC of 0.96 - you'd likely be dead from alcohol poisoning!

(I know you meant 0.096, just good natured medical ribbing)

No, I strongly doubt you'd be sober at .96.... perhaps you meant .096?

EDIT: Rats, ProfS beat me to it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everybody makes mistakes, I can see a little bit of probabation and a fine or maybe just community service for Mr. Rose.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

he was embarrassed to admit that he drank six martinis the night he veered off a snowy road and rolled his Cadillac Escalade.
    Five is Fab, Six is just stupid.

"Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Wow Michigan is really leniant on drunk driving. Here in AZ, if someone rolls their vehicle they are looking at least a $2000 fine, plus court costs, plus another $2000 for installation and monthly charges for an ignition interlock device. Even if someone just gets pulled over and fails a field sobriety test they are gonna get fined more than $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    No, I strongly doubt you'd be sober at .96.... perhaps you meant .096?

EDIT: Rats, ProfS beat me to it.
    No - I meant what I wrote. This is what is referred to substance dependence/tolerance. Alcohol is one of those things where you develop a tolerance. If you keep drinking, day in and day out, it takes more alcohol to make you impaired. So hard core drinkers, the ones who drink a 12 pack daily, need to drink alcohol in the morning just to function properly without withdrawing. They very well might depend on a BAC just to function.

This is why people go to rehabilitation centers when they want to kick the habit. Withdrawing from alcohol is not easy, its one of the most difficult things I've ever seen anyone go through. People get the shakes, hallucinate, etc etc. Its not pretty.

The reason they have made 0.08 or thereabouts the legal limit is because it basically represents a general rule for the average American. But there are functional alcoholics out there who need to have BACs much higher than 0.08 just to function normally because of their dependence.

Its a highly technical thing. I don't expect you all to understand it, necessarily.

Its a highly technical thing. I don't expect you all to understand it, necessarily.
    .4 is dead, no matter how much a boozer someone is.

.96 is more than twice that

edit: Wikipedia (so take it fwiw), reports people surviving BACsmore than .9...mostly Eastern Europeans...so I should qualify that .4 is dead for almost anyone
    Last edited by dal9; 05-26-2011 at 05:58 PM.

So hard core drinkers, the ones who drink a 12 pack daily, need to drink alcohol in the morning just to function properly without withdrawing.
    Hey - I know her.

The highest I've ever seen back when I was a resident was 0.60. And the guy was relatively even keeled. He wasn't inebriated, but the police stopped him for speeding (like 70 in a 55) and he blew a high score. They didn't know what to do with him so they brought him to the hospital. Not everyone follows the rules, it depends on the amount of tolerance the patient has.

another point to make is that you might have someone who never drinks, has a single glass of wine, and is intoxicated off their rocker, with a BAC of only 0.03. I agree, 0.96 might have been outlandish but I wanted to sort of exhibit how those numbers that are legally thrown out there are used to define the masses but not necessarily individuals.

So Jalen, might have had 0.12 or whatever, but very well might not have been driving wrecklessly or intoxicated.

but dal9 - point taken.