View Poll Results: Who was better?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wade/Lebron are superior when you consider the overall effect on the teams defense

9 14.75%
  • Scottie/MJ effect on their teams defense was superior

52 85.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Wade/Lebron better defenders as a whole than MJ/Scottie were?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are Wade/Lebron better defenders as a whole than MJ/Scottie were?

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that that has not been outside the norm for Rose during the entire playoffs. It's not because of Lebron (who didn't guard him the entire game). For all the (undue) praise he's been getting, Rose has played like crap.
    I agree. I don't think Rose has been all that great in the playoffs. He's getting numbers, but he's taking a ton of shots to get them. He really needs a second scorer to take some of the immense pressure off of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago make a run on OJ Mayo if he's available this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I agree. I don't think Rose has been all that great in the playoffs. He's getting numbers, but he's taking a ton of shots to get them. He really needs a second scorer to take some of the immense pressure off of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago make a run on OJ Mayo if he's available this summer.
    They need somebody bad. It's why I've repeatedly said before the playoffs i didn't think they could win. They were inherently flawed. I don't think any team has ever won a championship without someone else who could score. The only exception would of been the Lakers vs Pacers in 00.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Obviously you haven't been watching his defense for the past 2 seasons.

He's the defensive anchor for the best or 2nd best defensive team in the league and he shut down the league MVP last night when it mattered most.
    Fixed.

Lebron is a lock down defender when the game is on the line. He's like Jordan and Pippen in the way that his defensive intensity increases in the fourth quarter.

He shut down Paul Pierce and has had DRose launching airballs with the game on the line. Even without the blocks, he's been incredible defensively.

DWade has always been a good defender. He has the speed and athletic ability to challenge shots but he doesn't have the length and size that Lebron has.

Good poll question!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's kinda' hard to compare being as the defensive rules have changed so much,but I'll go with the GOAT/Scottie.
    Pacers,baby!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    Except that that has not been outside the norm for Rose during the entire playoffs. It's not because of Lebron (who didn't guard him the entire game). For all the (undue) praise he's been getting, Rose has played like crap.
    Ok, Rose has played like extra crap against LeBron than against everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    It's kinda' hard to compare being as the defensive rules have changed so much,but I'll go with the GOAT/Scottie.
    Yeah, people have to remember this is a different era with different rules. You can never make a totally fair comparison because of that.

But man, can you imagine Lebron being able to handcheck opposing players on the perimeter? That would be tough to say the least.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Yeah, people have to remember this is a different era with different rules. You can never make a totally fair comparison because of that.

But man, can you imagine Lebron being able to handcheck opposing players on the perimeter? That would be tough to say the least.
    Agreed. There is no reason LeBron can't be as good as Pippen was defensively. Well other than the rules.

I would rank them as follows defensively:

Pippen
    LeBron
    Jordan
    DWade

Pippen was very long and cat quick. LeBron has played the best defense of his life, but I saw Pippen do that stuff for years. Yes, it was a different set of rules and hard to compare. Anyway, if LeBron continues to play at that level, he might pull up and tie Pippen in my book.

Jordan was better than DWade defensively and offensively...which is saying a whole lot. No question I would prefer having Jordan on my team than DWade at either end of the floor.

So...I think MJ/Pippen has the edge. LeBron though has shown he can play elite level defense and if he keeps that up he will enter the realm of Jordan in terms of greatness. ...and I am no LeBron fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I would rank them as follows defensively:

Pippen
    LeBron
    Jordan
    DWade

Pippen was very long and cat quick. LeBron has played the best defense of his life, but I saw Pippen do that stuff for years. Yes, it was a different set of rules and hard to compare. Anyway, if LeBron continues to play at that level, he might pull up and tie Pippen in my book.

Jordan was better than DWade defensively and offensively...which is saying a whole lot. No question I would prefer having Jordan on my team than DWade at either end of the floor.

So...I think MJ/Pippen has the edge. LeBron though has shown he can play elite level defense and if he keeps that up he will enter the realm of Jordan in terms of greatness. ...and I am no LeBron fan.
    It's hard for me to rate Lebron ahead of Jordan in defense. I'm not being a hater. I actually like Lebron. But MJ was just MJ, and he routinely wreaked havoc on the opposition on the defensive end of the floor. I wish this was a 3-wheel debate, because that's where the biggest difference comes. Scottie/MJ/Grant - Scottie/MJ/Rodman both > Wade/Lebron/Bosh. Maybe a little closer if you sub Haslem for Bosh in terms of defense.