View Poll Results: Which PG should the Pacers draft?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norris Cole - Cle St

1 1.37%
  • Malcolm Delaney - Va Tech

0 0%
  • Jimmer Fredette - BYU

18 24.66%
  • Andrew Goudelock - C of C

0 0%
  • Ben Hansbrough - ND

5 6.85%
  • Tu Holloway - Xavier

0 0%
  • Justin Hurtt - Tulsa

0 0%
  • Reggie Jackson - BC

33 45.21%
  • Charles Jenkins - Hofstra

4 5.48%
  • Cory Joseph - Texas

2 2.74%
  • Kalin Lucas - Mich St

2 2.74%
  • Shelvin Mack - Butler

16 21.92%
  • Demetri McCamey - Ill

1 1.37%
  • Darius Morris - Mich

15 20.55%
  • Jacob Pullen - Kan St

5 6.85%
  • Josh Selby - Kan

26 35.62%
  • Iman Shumpert - Ga Tech

1 1.37%
  • Nolan Smith - Duke

9 12.33%
  • Isaiah Thomas - Wash

2 2.74%
  • Brad Wanamaker - Pitt

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which PG should the Pacers draft?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which PG should the Pacers draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    B.Rush for chicago's 1st and 2nd?
    B. Rush for 28 might be possible.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't necessarily want us to pick a PG and don't really think we have a problem with that position in general, but out of these guys you have listed, I like the Jimmer, Darius Morris, and Selby. None of whom do I really consider to be true point guards either.
    On the NBA Big Board they have Selby listed with (and evaluated against) the SGs.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Toss up between Jimmer Fredette and Reggie Jackson.

I am convinced that Jimmer will be a very solid player off the bench, a Ben Gordon lite or a Derek Fisher depending on whether or not he will be able to create his own shot. But he will be solid. I want to focus on what he CAN do, and not what he CAN'T do. He can flat out get things done. I like Fredette.

Reggie Jackson is this year's Paul George. I would like to go after him perhaps. He's big, athletic, and young. He may never be a distributing point guard, but I like him.

To a much lesser degree, I also like Josh Selby, Darius Morris, and Nolan Smith. Darius and Josh have potential to be productive, and I just feel like Nolan will be a solid player, even though he will have some fairly large weaknesses to overcome (Needs to be a better shooter and not be a ball stopper).

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I am sold on Reggie.

Much of Jackson's development since last season can be attributed to the way he utilizes his athleticism. Standing 6'3 with a giant wingspan, but an underdeveloped frame, Jackson has excellent size for a point guard, and while he does a lot of scoring at the college level, he has the makings of a potential floor general on the NBA level if he improves his ability to orchestrate an offense. He took a big step towards that end by learning how to play at different speeds, something that he didn't do effectively last season. That change has allowed him to cut down on his mistakes considerably, yielding his impressive 2.9 assists-to-turnover ratio. Slowing the game down and using his excellent quickness to exploit seams within the flow of the offense instead of using it to force action, Jackson has looked terrific in the open floor and in most half court situations early this season.

Though Jackson has been producing at a high-level as a passer and a scorer in the early going, he still has plenty of room to grow to become a legitimate point guard. The Colorado native shows great court vision, is not one to miss an open teammate to take his own shot, and has become extremely adept and scoring and passing in pick and roll situations, but spends a considerable amount of time off the ball where Steve Donahue can best exploit his scoring ability and give his team a dynamic athlete on the wing to complement Joe Trapani's shot-up shooting and off-ball scoring ability.

Though Jackson looks good handling pressure and has developed into a very solid ball-handler, he isn't relied upon exclusively to run Donahue's offense as a facilitator or bring the ball up the floor regularly. While the pieces of the puzzle certainly seem to be there for the talented junior, the development of his draft stock will be influenced heavily by his ability to continue to improve his playmaking skills.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Jackson-6325/

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Ya i have been sold on him for the last few weeks. Mainly because the defense and athletic ability. But even more so the kid is very intelligent and has a high b ball IQ he has the potential to grow into a floor general. Give him 5 yrs and I think he will be a very very good pg because he is so smart and a great basketball IQ. I still think he rises up the board during individual workouts. If he is there and isn't picked by us i will be very disappointed. He is one of the few in this draft with tons of upside.

EDIT:

But the best thing is even if he cant turn into a floor general pg. He can be the guy Bird wants or wanted this past season. A guy who can play make and create for himself off the dribble at the SG. He fits the bill in my opinion of what we need in the short term he can play some SG for us and PG. In the long term he could develop into a leader / floor general at PG because he knows how to play the game of basketball.

Like I said the main reason I want him is defense and potential. But I also think he will can come in next year and be an instant offense off the bench. Which is something we lacked the reason some people want Marshawn Brooks or Jimmer is part of the reason Jackson is my guy also. I think Jackson will be able to come in next year and be instant spark on offense and play really good defense and be a spark like PG24 was a spark on defense last year.

To add to the instant offense here is Reggies senior stats in HS where he played SG(he didn't start playing pg till college)

Led all 5A scorers with a 29.6 ppg average in 2007-08; also averaged 7.9 rebounds and 7.0 assists per game.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Ya i have been sold on him for the last few weeks. Mainly because the defense and athletic ability. But even more so the kid is very intelligent and has a high b ball IQ he has the potential to grow into a floor general. Give him 5 yrs and I think he will be a very very good pg. I still think he rises up the board during individual workouts. If he is there and isn't picked by us i will be very disappointed. He is one of the few in this draft with tons of upside.
    Ya, from what I have read he is athletic, long, and a good defender. Pretty good shooter last year too. His PG skills are improving and I think he will be a good backup even before he refines his PG skills.

Plus, 7-foot freaking wingspan!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

If we HAD to take a PG, I'd say go for Reggie Jackson. I haven't heard much about him until recently, but from what I've gathered, he's a fantastic defensive PG with what is probably a little more size than we have with Price and Collison right now. I've heard about a few of his other PG qualities, such as (I believe) being a pass-first PG and also a great shooter from 3 when he does shoot, but don't count me on those two counts. He sounds like he'll be a steal for his defensive ability.

I have yet to read the thread.

You don't target a point guard, you draft for talent, trade for need.

Another point, I think it would be better to bring in a vet to back up Collison. I would rather not have a 3rd year starter with a young backup.

Does anyone here really think any of those guards has a chance of replacing DC? The very best on the list might make a good back-up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Does anyone here really think any of those guards has a chance of replacing DC? The very best on the list might make a good back-up.
    replace DC this season ? no! in 5 years? yes

But i value defensive and B ball IQ more at the pg position than what DC brings. It all depends on how DC develops. But even if DC becomes the guy everyone wants him to be he will always suck at defense. We need a defense pg to throw at the Roses and Westbrooks of the NBA. Having two starting quality pg's is a good thing not a bad one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

But i value defensive and B ball IQ more at the pg position than what DC brings. It all depends on how DC develops. But even if DC becomes the guy everyone wants him to be he will always suck at defense. We need a defense pg to throw at the Roses and Westbrooks of the NBA. Having two starting quality pg's is a good thing not a bad one.
    Paul George?

Not a point guard I know, but he can defend them. A good majority of point guards can't defend Rose and Westbrook, because those guys are abnormal.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Paul George?

Not a point guard I know, but he can defend them. A good majority of point guards can't defend Rose and Westbrook, because those guys are abnormal.
    If Paul George is gonna be our leading scorer in 5 yrs no way in hell i want him having to check a fast quick pg all game. Plus we would need Paul to guard Kevin Durant vs OKC. In my opinion we cant have to be good defenders who can also score. Plus he is a scorer off the dribble so he fits 2 needs from last season.

EDIT
    6'3 7' wing span is insane and abnormal

just put this in prospective when Bayless was coming out everyone wanted him because they felt he would be able to play both pg and SG and be a great scorer. (same with Avery Bradley who is too small to play SG but is not a pg)

Bayless is 6'3 same height as Jackson his wingspan is 6'3.5. Jackson is truly gifted and will be able to play both positions very effectively and will be a great defender and scorer.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.

I still maintain my stance. I really hope we can land a big who can rebound and block shots and provide hustle and perimeter defense off the bench at 15, and I hope we pick-up Hansbrough at 45. I don't think Hansbrough could replace Collison, but he could be a very good combo gaurd/bench player for us. Maybe when we play bigger point gaurds Collison has a hard time defending, I could see Ben providing a spark off the bench, and maybe closing out a couple games if his defense continually improves.

I dont really want to wait 5 years. If we could upgrade the pg spot in the draft I would do it. But nobody on that list intrigues me with the 15th pick. I to, like bigger, more defensive minded pg's.

Morris or Jackson

I am a big believer in Morris. He was 5th in the country this year in assists and was the team's leader throughout the season. He shot 49% FG and 72% FT, a marked improvement over the year before (41%, 63%). He set the all time Michigan single season assists record (235) and had the 3rd triple double in Michigan history. He has been/is working on his shot and apparently is showing a very strong midrange, and a developing/solid 3pt shot.

His defensive skills are not fully developed but with his size (6'5'' point guard anyone?!), length (6'8'' wingspan!) and quickness he has the athleticism to dominate smaller guards and match up with bigger, more aggressive ones. He has a good motor and has been known to consistently make hustle plays.

Morris is a true leader, bringing Michigan to the brink of toppling #1 seed Duke.
    Last edited by Jrod Jones; 05-25-2011 at 05:04 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I dont really want to wait 5 years. If we could upgrade the pg spot in the draft I would do it. But nobody on that list intrigues me with the 15th pick. I to, like bigger, more defensive minded pg's.
    5 yrs is just a generalization It took Steve Nash that long he was labeled a SG coming out and he needed time to learn the position and he was worth the wait to develop. It all depends on how how the franchise handles that player and how the coaches help the player. If he is an intelligent it might be faster. If they are naturally a pg and born with the gifts like CP3 was they can be great right away at pg. The point guard position is a tough position to play in the NBA it takes time.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-25-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

For all the stat guys & girls out there. Here is where the PGs in this poll rank in different categories. I only included them if they made the top 50. None of the PGs made the top 50 in FG%, it was all big men.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball...ividual/136/p1

Rank Name Value

Assists to Turnovers Ratio
    39 Darius Morris 2.28
    44 Brad Wanamaker 2.26

Assists Per Game

5 Darius Morris 6.7
    10 Demetri McCamey 6.1
    12 Isaiah Thomas 6.1
    29 Tu Holloway 5.4
    36 Norris Cole 5.3
    47 Brad Wanamaker 5.1
    48 Nolan Smith 5.1

Points Per Game

1 Jimmer Fredette 28.9
    4 Andrew Goudelock 23.7
    6 Charles Jenkins 22.6
    10 Norris Cole 21.7
    16 Nolan Smith 20.6
    21 Jacob Pullen 20.2
    24 Justin Hurtt 20.0
    27 Tu Holloway 19.7
    49 Ben Hansbrough 18.4

Steals Per Game
    6 Iman Shumpert 2.7
    23 Norris Cole 2.2

3s Per Game
    2 Andrew Goudelock 3.5
    3 Jimmer Fredette 3.4
    42 Justin Hurtt 2.7

3 FG%
    14 Ben Hansbrough 43.5
    20 Reggie Jackson 42.0
    26 Andrew Goudelock 40.7
    31 Jimmer Fredette 39.6

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    Morris or Jackson

I am a big believer in Morris. He was 5th in the country this year in assists and was the team's leader throughout the season. He shot 49% FG and 72% FT, a marked improvement over the year before (41%, 63%). He set the all time Michigan single season assists record (235) and had the 3rd triple double in Michigan history. He has been/is working on his shot and apparently is showing a very strong midrange, and a developing/solid 3pt shot.

His defensive skills are not fully developed but with his size (6'5'' point guard anyone?!), length (6'8'' wingspan!) and quickness he has the athleticism to dominate smaller guards and match up with bigger, more aggressive ones. He has a good motor and has been known to consistently make hustle plays.

Morris is a true leader, bringing Michigan to the brink of toppling #1 seed Duke.
    I like Morris also i would be fine with him he is a true gamer.

I think Shelvin Mack is a bulldog, pardon the pun. He's a tough dude, a bully with the ball. He'd have no problem attacking the rim. Thats something I look for in a Point Guard.

I don't want a PG in the first round, so, whoever is available in the second round.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

My dream situation: guys like Selby or Jeremy Tyler or Dontas go in the lottery and Bismack falls to us at 15. We trade for Twolves 20 pick and draft Jackson if he's still there.

Mood

Sports Logo

I've thought highly of Josh Selby since he was the top HS player in the nation, but I worried he declined getting into college. I've been waiting to see some reports from any workouts to see how well he's doing. Nevertheless, if we could pick him up in the late first, I think he'll show the skills he had in high school and be a great combo guard off the bench. He probably won't be around for our second round pick, but if he is, I say go for him. I don't know who else would be good for our second.

As far as Reggie Jackson goes, I completely support picking him with our 15th.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Just a thought: The Twolves are said to be shopping their 20th pick too. They have just over 3 mill in cap space so we could offer Rush, #42 pick for the #20 pick? Reggie Jackson with #15, Markief Morris or Faired with #20? or vice versa

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Just a thought: The Twolves are said to be shopping their 20th pick too. They have just over 3 mill in cap space so we could offer Rush, #42 pick for the #20 pick? Reggie Jackson with #15, Markief Morris or Faired with #20? or vice versa
    I'm actually all for this. I was trying to think of scenarios where we could get Jackson AND Faried, but to get rid of Rush at the same time is just undeniable. Two players who can potentially play better than one player who hasn't performed well lately (or consistently at all) makes this a chance we need to take.

Of course, there's always the risk that both Jackson and Faried are gone by the time we make those two picks. Then I'll just be disappointed. But hey, that's still two first round picks!
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I like Darius.. A real point guard and only 20 years old.