Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

funny how many of you thought brown wasn't good enough to be the pacers coach and wanted vogel over him, and then now he becomes the coach of one of the greatest franchises in sports history...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Inside track means nothing when the Lakers offer you a job. There is no good reason why any coach would pick Indy over LA. They have a better team, more attractive area, more money to offer, and I could go on for days.

If you really think this is a failure by the front office, your crazy. I would love to see a team run by graphic-er. We all thought Kahn was bad, but I'm pretty sure he would look like GM of the year next to him.
    I get that if it came down to Lakers vs Pacers he isn't going to choose us. Thats common sense, but what isn't common sense is not even having him in for a interview before the Lakers got their greedy mits on him. You never know what the outcome will be if you interview him first. Maybe he loves Danny Granger and Paul George. He might see 30M in cap room as a chance to build a legit contender over the next several years. Maybe he and Larry hit it off like old buddies right away and signs a contract that evening.

Unless you actually think he just flat out told the Pacers no way jose' at the thought of interviewing for this job....which I highly doubt happened. If it did happen we more than likely hear about it just like we heard him take his name off the Warriors and Rockets lists.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    funny how many of you thought brown wasn't good enough to be the pacers coach and wanted vogel over him, and then now he becomes the coach of one of the greatest franchises in sports history...
    Doesn't mean the Lakers are actually smart here.. Buss's son hired him not Senior.

And many think Jim is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Doesn't mean the Lakers are actually smart here.. Buss's son hired him not Senior.

what about brown's resume suggests he is anything less than a far superior head coach to vogel?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I get that if it came down to Lakers vs Pacers he isn't going to choose us. Thats common sense, but what isn't common sense is not even having him in for a interview before the Lakers got their greedy mits on him. You never know what the outcome will be if you interview him first. Maybe he loves Danny Granger and Paul George. He might see 30M in cap room as a chance to build a legit contender over the next several years. Maybe he and Larry hit it off like old buddies right away and signs a contract that evening.

Unless you actually think he just flat out told the Pacers no way jose' at the thought of interviewing for this job....which I highly doubt happened. If it did happen we more than likely hear about it just like we heard him take his name off the Warriors and Rockets lists.
    Thing is, we have no idea when LA contacted him. We also have no idea if the Pacers contacted him. You make all these assumptions and just act like they are facts when there is no proof of it.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Mike Brown is the new coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Brown and the Lakers agreed in principle Wednesday to a four-year, $18.25 million deal, according to league sources.

The Lakers will announce Brown as the 22nd coach in franchise history Wednesday afternoon. Brown, who is currently in Cleveland, will sign the contract later this week.

Kobe by Head Coach
    Mike Brown will become the sixth person to coach at least two games for the Lakers with Kobe Bryant. Only Phil Jackson won a title with Kobe but Del Harris did put together a higher winning percentage.

Bryant: Career by Head Coach
    Win PCT Titles
    Phil Jackson .676 5
    Frank Hamblen .256 0
    Rudy Tomjanovich .558 0
    Kurt Rambis .648 0
    Del Harris .699 0

powered by

The development is a victorious comeback for Brown, who was fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers almost a year ago to the day. Now, the 41-year-old Brown, the winningest coach in Cavaliers history, is leading one of the most prestigious and successful franchise in modern basketball history.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6587752
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good for Mike, but he's got some high HIGH expectations for a franchise on their way down.

They need to retool, and Kobe isn't getting any younger.

But still, you get to coach LeBron with your first HC gig, and then Kobe for your second? Sign me up!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also heard if LA does not pick up the team option in after year 3 he still gets 2.5M.

Not too shabby

Thing is, we have no idea when LA contacted him. We also have no idea if the Pacers contacted him. You make all these assumptions and just act like they are facts when there is no proof of it.
    Yup they're all assumptions in the end. I am assuming that if Brown was interviewed by the Pacers that his agent would have leaked something about it. I fully expect to hear that Vogel was interviewed by the Pacers some time in the near future.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Unless he or his agent were pushing for LA all along. The only reason to bring up Indy would be to start a bidding war or put pressure on LA to get a deal done, and if LA showed he was canidate #1 there would be no reason to do that.

Of course, there are a lot of assumptions being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Good, lets hope he gets that team. They need some years of incompetence.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'm glad Brown got Bryant after Bryant grew up.

As amazing an opportunity it is to coach Lebron and then Bryant. If he had gone from Lebron to Kobe pre-maturation..it would have been going from an incredibly spoiled entitled brat, to an even bigger spoiled entitled brat.

If the Lakers get Dwight, Brown should be pretty set up though, for a while.

Lakers are still good enough to win the championship next season.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    1. He's a big name coach.
    2. I think a majority of us just thought that Vogel earned the job, and that he was right for this team.
    3. Yes, Brown has a good resume in terms of winning percentage. Brown also had Lebron. I think the Pacers and Vogel go pretty far in the playoffs with Lebron.

Congrats to Mike. He's shown that he knows how to handle a 'superstar'. Give him the ball when he wants it. Kobe will love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    1. He's a big name coach.
    2. I think a majority of us just thought that Vogel earned the job, and that he was right for this team.
    3. Yes, Brown has a good resume in terms of winning percentage. Brown also had Lebron. I think the Pacers and Vogel go pretty far in the playoffs with Lebron.
    lebron and who else? even wade, bosh, and lebron couldn't win 60 games this year which is something brown did with the cavs twice. a coach like jerry sloan only made it to two finals appearances with malone and stockton in 25+ years as a coach and won 60+ games only 3 times. brown accomplished a finals appearance in his second season as head coach. you could argue danny granger has a better supporting cast around him than what many of lebron's clevelnad teams had around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I'm glad Brown got Bryant after Bryant grew up.

As amazing an opportunity it is to coach Lebron and then Bryant. If he had gone from Lebron to Kobe pre-maturation..it would have been going from an incredibly spoiled entitled brat, to an even bigger spoiled entitled brat.

If the Lakers get Dwight, Brown should be pretty set up though, for a while.
    ..and Nevermind...Kobe was apparently "Shocked" at the news, and supported Shaw. Heh. Should be fun.

bring in Adelman, JVG, and Mark Jackson, and Vogel. Any of those 4 i would be happy

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    bring in Adelman, JVG, and Mark Jackson, and Vogel. Any of those 4 i would be happy
    Now how the hell are you against Brown, but would be ok with Jackson, who hasn't even been an assistant coach in the league?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just say no to Mark Jackson. Especially after listening to his awful color commentary. He is by far my least favorite broadcaster.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

I feel bad for Mike Brown already. Kobe not a supporter of the hiring? He wanted Brian Shaw? The media (at least the clowns on Around the Horn) were saying it is a bad hire and they should have gone with Shaw, JVG, or someone with a bigger name.

I hope Mike Brown does well there. He deserves to.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe may have rendered the Lakers damned if you do, damned if you don't here. Bringing in Shaw, a former teammate of Kobe when Kobe was the unquestioned alpha dog for the Lakers while Shaw was a role player, would allow Kobe to in effect run the team. Why else would Kobe want to bring him in. The other option, which the Lakers apparently took, was to bring in someone else, which serves to **** Kobe off.

Get your popcorn out...

Now how the hell are you against Brown, but would be ok with Jackson, who hasn't even been an assistant coach in the league?
    who says u need to have to be an assistant coach to be a head coach? He played in the league and had a really good career. He knows what's go one in players minds and how the game plays.

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    who says u need to have to be an assistant coach to be a head coach? He played in the league and had a really good career. He knows what's go one in players minds and how the game plays.
    You need coaching experience. Being a head coach is far more than just X's and O's. Its about management, motivation and so much more. These are things that Jackson needs to learn. How do you learn that? Be an assistant.

Just because you play in the NBA doesn't mean you can coach in the league. Be an assistant or a positional coach? Yes. But a head coach? No. I would never hire a head coach who has no coaching experience. Its a terrible idea. There are plenty of players who were better than Jackson that wouldn't be good head coaches either.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What former players have made the leap from player to head coach without first being an assistant? I know Larry is one...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post: