Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep and that didn't worked out too well, let's hope he does the opposite of whatever he did last time.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 05-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Mike Brown sucks! Lebron made him a good coach

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-brown-hiring

Report: Kobe Bryant “surprised” by Mike Brown hiring
    Kurt Helin
    May 25, 2011, 11:58 AM EDT
    Leave a comment
    Getty Images
    Superstars are used to being consulted.

So the report of Kobe Bryant’s reaction to the Lakers being on the verge of hiring former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, from Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated, says a lot about how this decision was made. And maybe about how it will be received in the locker room.

The source close to the Lakers told SI.com that Lakers star Kobe Bryant was “surprised” by the news, and that he was not a part of the decision-making process. Bryant had been a staunch supporter of Lakers assistant Brian Shaw for the position and remains as such.
    Shaw represented the Lakers continuing with a similar style — of offense, of coaching — that they had under Phil Jackson.

Jim Buss and the Lakers brass clearly wanted a change in that. Brown is a big shift, an attempt to change the direction of the ship.

The question is how well that will work.

The Lakers don’t really need an Xs and Os guru — they have a lot of high basketball IQ players with Kobe, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derrick Fisher, Andrew Bynum and on down the line. They have guys who know how to play, whatever the system.

What Jackson was able to do brilliantly was get those guys to play as a unit, to sacrifice, to win together. (Up until this season, when fatigue of mind, body and the message wore them down.) Can Mike Brown do that? He can bring in energy and push a defense-first agenda, but can he get them to bond and play as a unit the way Jackson has done (and did in Chicago before)?

That is the real question and the real risk with this hire

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I don't even know where to start.
    A head coach? He's not someone I think would command respect.. if Lebron could walk all over him you think Kobe would be different?

In that market with those expectations.. he'll get a pass in Cleveland.. LA is an entirely different beast.

I don't blame him for taking it I blame the Lakers for offering the position to him.

I think he's a great assistant coach especially on defense but head coach?

No I think he sucks. He got the most out of the Cavs but the Lakers he'll underachieve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post
    Buss and crew obviously aren't as smart as some of you PD posters. After
    all, what the hell have they ever won ?

His Son hired him not Jerry.. Jerry is giving control to his son as he's getting on in years..

Rather sexist of him since Jeanie is the one with any sense but she's a girl go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Who was the "good assistant" in Cleveland?
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 05-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    In your opinion good sir. I fully believe we had the inside track on Mike Brown due our previous experience with him and our location to his family. I just think we failed to act on it. Mike Brown wasn't going to wait around too long for Larry to reach out though.
    Do you know for a fact we did not reach out to Brown?

I see your point, but frankly L.A beats Indiana 9 times out of 10.

Now if the Pacers did not reach out to him at all, then I would say they were foolish. However, my guess is they have talked to him (or his agent) at least once. Who knows, maybe his agent was shooting for LA the whole time, and was just using Indiana as a back up.

My point is we do not know what happens from the business side of the house, unless you are Larry or Morways assistant, in which case I doubt you would be posting on P.D.

As for Brown, I always liked him and wish him the best. I think he is a bit overrated, but I also think he would have been a good name for us to have (though that opens the door for the argument does having a big-coach matter for us right now)

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    A head coach? He's not someone I think would command respect.. if Lebron could walk all over him you think Kobe would be different?

In that market with those expectations.. he'll get a pass in Cleveland.. LA is an entirely different beast.

I don't blame him for taking it I blame the Lakers for offering the position to him.

I think he's a great assistant coach especially on defense but head coach?

No I think he sucks. He got the most out of the Cavs but the Lakers he'll underachieve.
    It has always been said, but LeBron walked all over his because the owner let him.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    It has always been said, but LeBron walked all over his because the owner let him.

And Mike Brown let it happen... Phil Jackson wouldn't.

To me this is like the Colts hiring Jim Caldwell WTF were you thinking!? letting him coach one of the greatest to ever play ...

Except Mike Brown is way more respectable in comparison..

I just think L.A. is too much for him. Cavs fans may be cool with early exits but not Lakerland.

To me this is like the Colts hiring Jim Caldwell WTF were you thinking!? letting him coach one of the greatest to ever play ...

I just think L.A. is too much for him. Cavs fans may be cool with early exits but not Lakerland.
    LOL, the Lakers will be the best defensive team in the league next season. They'll make the west finals on that attribute alone.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe and the Lakers quit on Phil this year that was pretty clear. Mike Browns defensive X and O's are way greater than Caldwell's skills in the NFL.

I would not be brave enough to pay Brown 4-5 mil a season over 4 years- we'd be forced to stick by him for a couple of seasons if it all went pear-shaped, which nobody can definitively say wouldn't have happened. Can't blame the FO if those were his demands.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

The new look offense of the Lakers will be tested next season, barring a lockout.

Kobe and company have run the triangle offense for more than 3 years now, so the new offense to be instilled by Brown will be the main topic for the Lakers next season.

About their defense, Brown will have very little problem with the Lakers because they have been one of the top teams in terms of defense on the previous years under Jackson.

I doubt that. Phil has the pull to make it more public (there would be "leaks" all over the place talking about the crap the owner was doing) but the only diffrence is Phil would have walked away sooner, IMO

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

Kobe and the Lakers quit on Phil this year that was pretty clear. Mike Browns defensive X and O's are way greater than Caldwell's skills in the NFL.
    I have to admit I almost wondered if Phil kind of quit as well (as in, these guys are trying to turn it on and off, plus we know Phil was not in the best of health) and if that did not come into play as well.

Regardless, yes, he lost this team.

Back on topic, 4 years does seem like a long time. Which just makes me think even more Brown wanted LA all along, and had his demands which it looks like he is going to get

What Jackson was able to do brilliantly was get those guys to play as a unit, to sacrifice, to win together.
    Not saying that Frank is in any way equal to Phil Jackson, but based on what we saw in the playoffs he seems to have this same capability. Mastering the mental aspect of the game is what seperates the good teams from the elite ones that have the same talent level and I think Frank has shown that he has a good grasp on what it takes mentally as a team to win. Now we just need to upgrade our talent level.

Good luck to Mike Brown in Tinseltown. I wish him well.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Time is critical because your competition is hiring coaches as well. I'm not waiting until the week before to find my date to prom. All the good looking girls will be taken.
    You also don't ask the first girl you meet in the cafeteria because the one you might really want to go with you is on vacation.

It isn't anywhere near a "week before the prom" situation, here. So far, it's just "one of the girls I might have wanted to ask agreed to go with someone else. Oh, darn."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I will say that is a very tough position Brown is going into. Taking over for Phil Jackson - there isn't much upside there. if the lakers win the championship, Brown will get some credit (but not a ton) if they lose early he'll get a lot of the blame.

I could see where goingo thte Rockets, Warriors or Pacers would have been an easier gig

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Could we end up landing Adelman? It's looking like we've got a shot.
    Pacers,baby!

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    Could we end up landing Adelman? It's looking like we've got a shot.

Yeah, he has no where else to go. Not going back to the Warriors and not going back to the Rockets obviously.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeah, he has no where else to go. Not going back to the Warriors and not going back to the Rockets obviously.
    Could that maybe be the reason why Bird is taking his time?
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.

I really wanted Brown for his toughness and the fact that he wouldn't put up with the wimpy **** from players.

Good for him though. I'm sure he would've liked the Indiana job, but he had a nice offer right there in LA and of course he took it.

I'd love to have his coaching and a team of solid players we bring in. Specifically Nene in Brown's system. That would've been great. Brown loves the toughness from big guys and he'd actually man up Roy. Like I said, he wouldn't put up with wimpy crap and definitely wouldn't like Roy's inability to use his size to his advantage and settle for crappy bunny shots.

There's still some good options out there. I'm pretty bummed we couldn't get a successful coach in Mike Brown and the type of mindset he has. That would've been great for this team who tends to slack, but hopefully with new players, that'll change.

Rick Adelman brings a very tough mindset and wouldn't put up with laziness like Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I have to admit I almost wondered if Phil kind of quit as well (as in, these guys are trying to turn it on and off, plus we know Phil was not in the best of health) and if that did not come into play as well.

Regardless, yes, he lost this team.

Back on topic, 4 years does seem like a long time. Which just makes me think even more Brown wanted LA all along, and had his demands which it looks like he is going to get
    I sort of thought they all (players and coaches) looked very tired. I have no idea whether it was the grind of the season, or whether they were simply tired of each other, but something didn't seem right. Not for that team, anyway. Maybe they were feeling the end of something they have had for a while, and lost there heart to compete. Sort of a "Let's just get this over with." kind of thing. But again, that just doesn't sound like that team.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In your opinion good sir. I fully believe we had the inside track on Mike Brown due our previous experience with him and our location to his family. I just think we failed to act on it. Mike Brown wasn't going to wait around too long for Larry to reach out though.
    Inside track means nothing when the Lakers offer you a job. There is no good reason why any coach would pick Indy over LA. They have a better team, more attractive area, more money to offer, and I could go on for days.

If you really think this is a failure by the front office, your crazy. I would love to see a team run by graphic-er. We all thought Kahn was bad, but I'm pretty sure he would look like GM of the year next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

I don't think Kobe/Bynum/Fisher quit the rest of the team? Yeah

However Mike Brown will be an epic fail with the Lakers.

You're right comparing him to Caldwell is rather insulting to him.

I guess a better comparison would be Norv Turner.

I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good hire for head coach.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

It is official according to Broussard:

"Deal is done. Mike Brown and Lakers agree to 4-year, $18.25 million deal. Team option for 4th year. Brown gets $2.5 mil if option not taken"