Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) Why

2) How can they expect to get as high-quality of a candidate as possible if they (if even only because of how high teams like LA can go) low ball?
    1) The Pacers do not have the revenue to pay a coach the kind of money that LA would.

2) They can't expect to get the best-quality candidate possible. Hence, the likely outcome is Vogel will be retained.

Edit: Not to say that Vogel isn't a good candidate, but his pedigree would preclude him from commanding anything but near the very bottom of the salary scale for NBA coaches.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 05-25-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

I'm good with Vogel.

Brown would have been good, but I'm not so sure about his offensive acumen. Not sure about Frank's either.

But there's this: Frank has something to prove. He's never played in the NBA. He's never done anything as a head coach for an entire season.

Mike Brown doesn't have something like that to prove. He's won 60 games in a season and gone deep into the playoffs several times. He may feel the need to prove something over in LA but not in Indy so much.

Brian Shaw and Person have played in the NBA. Adelman has nothing to prove. I like the idea of a very hungry head coach who will work monster hours to get this team where it needs to be.

Based on half a year, I am very comfortable with Vogel's instincts and commitment to the fundamentals and playing the right way. Plus, you gotta like Frank's style. I'm up for the experiment.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

3. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Mike Brown/Lakers in Serious Discussions. Update post #24 -Reports: Brown Lakers new coach

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We know that Bird interviewed Shaw in 2007 along with Adelman. We also know that Bird is the type that doesn't believe in a lot of interviews, and a series of interviews with the same guy
    Yep and that didn't worked out too well, let's hope he does the opposite of whatever he did last time.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Some of you guys kill me

Overrated?

2009 Coach of the year
    3 times Browns teams won 60 games or more
    His team finished in the top 5 on defence every year

LeBron or no LeBron, Mike Brown can coach, and coach well.

I remember Pop being quoted as saying how much he hated to lose Mike Brown but he deserved to be a head coach.

I understand if people think Mike Brown is not a good coach for the current Pacer team, but he definitley is a good coach
    Sittin on top of the world!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You have that wrong. The owner catered to Lebron and the owner undermined Brown and Ferry whenever they tried to stand-up to Lebron. When the owner does that it is not the coaches fault
    Well said Buck

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I absolutely agree that Brown is a good coach, but I'm happy he won't be our next coach. I just don't think he is a good fit for our young team. I think he is a much better fit for LA. I'm happy for him. I think this is a huge step in his career. Good for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Excellent hire by the Lakers. Damn it! I want them to suck!

It's looking more and more like Vogel will be staying in Indy.
    Yep

And if we hire Vogel I am going to love hearing the BS spin Bird and company will put on it. How we conducted an extensive search and interviewed all candidates but we liked Frank all along

translation we were stuck in the mud and wanted someone else but settled for Vogel

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Don't know anything about Dwayne Casey. But his wiki bio didn't do much for me, that's for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwane_Casey

Dwane Casey (born April 17, 1957) is currently an assistant coach for the NBA's Dallas Mavericks.

Casey played college basketball at the University of Kentucky between 1975 and 1979. While he served as an assistant coach there, Emery Worldwide employees discovered $1,000 in cash in an envelope mailed to recruit Chris Mills, with Casey's name on it.[1] The resulting scandal contributed to head coach Eddie Sutton's resignation and Mills' transfer to the University of Arizona.

Casey coached in Japan for five years. He then served as an assistant coach for the Seattle SuperSonics of the NBA, first under George Karl and then under Nate McMillan.

At the start of the 2005-06 NBA season, Casey was hired as the head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, replacing Kevin McHale, after McHale coached the Wolves for thirty-one games in the 2004-2005 season in an interim capacity following the firing of longtime Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders. Casey lasted only a season and a half in Minnesota (with an overall record of 53-69), and was fired on January 23, 2007.[2] At that time, the Timberwolves were 20-20 and competing for a playoff spot. He was replaced by assistant Randy Wittman, who went 12-30 the rest of the season.[3]

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    1) The Pacers do not have the revenue to pay a coach the kind of money that LA would.

2) They can't expect to get the best-quality candidate possible. Hence, the likely outcome is Vogel will be retained.

Edit: Not to say that Vogel isn't a good candidate, but his pedigree would preclude him from commanding anything but near the very bottom of the salary scale for NBA coaches.
    I guess what I don't understand is what information is leading you to this conclusion that the revenue of the Pacers doesn't allow them to spend that money, therefore the Pacers can't expect to get the best-quality candidate possible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yep and that didn't worked out too well, let's hope he does the opposite of whatever he did last time.
    Worked out well in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Don't know anything about Dwayne Casey. But his wiki bio didn't do much for me, that's for sure.

I liked that he coached in Japan for 5 years. That means he should work well with young or inexperienced players

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Yep

And if we hire Vogel I am going to love hearing the BS spin Bird and company will put on it. How we conducted an extensive search and interviewed all candidates but we liked Frank all along

translation we were stuck in the mud and wanted someone else but settled for Vogel
    I don't think that's fair unless you truly believe Frank isn't that good of a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

That Kentucky story is a red flag.

However, the fact that he's worked for not just Carlisle, but also McMillan and Karl as well is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think that's fair unless you truly believe Frank isn't that good of a coach.
    I think he is a good coach potentially, but I dont think the Pacers are convinced he is the best coach they can get

who knows for sure?

Well the Pacers FO swing and miss again! Oh wait they coudn't even get up to bat for Mike Brown. Freaking ridiculous, Bird and Morway kill me. Got to strike while the iron is hot. I feel like sometimes its Amateur hour at the fieldhouse.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Well the Pacers FO swing and miss again! Oh wait they coudn't even get up to bat for Mike Brown. Freaking ridiculous, Bird and Morway kill me. Got to strike while the iron is hot. I feel like sometimes its Amateur hour at the fieldhouse.
    This is retarded.

Unless we were going to come in and offer 5 years and $50 million, there is nothing that they could have done to sway Mike Brown to come here when the Lakers had even a shred of interest.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hasn't Brown been available for a long time? What was the rush?

I really don't get how hiring a coach becomes a critical, do it NOW dammit, activity when the playoffs aren't even over yet?

If you ran baseball, you'd call the on deck batter out if he wasn't in the batter's box by the time the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher after the previous strikeout.

What kills me is the number of people screaming that it isn't moving fast enough and the number of people who would scream if it moved too fast. Seems like you can't satisfy anyone in this business.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Just add it to the strike tally. It joins failing to sign and trade for LeBron, not getting the #1 pick in the 2010 draft lottery and not signing a perpetuitous lease for the Pacers to remain in Indiana....all things that we had as much control over as signing Mike Brown.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Clearly Morway whiffed on Lebron, and Wade this summer too, I'm starting to see the point, now.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

When the Lakers come calling, it doesn't matter what the Pacers do or did nor when they do or did. Lakers trump us, plain and simple. Can't hold this against Larry

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This is retarded.

Unless we were going to come in and offer 5 years and $50 million, there is nothing that they could have done to sway Mike Brown to come here when the Lakers had even a shred of interest.
    In your opinion good sir. I fully believe we had the inside track on Mike Brown due our previous experience with him and our location to his family. I just think we failed to act on it. Mike Brown wasn't going to wait around too long for Larry to reach out though.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I really don't get how hiring a coach becomes a critical, do it NOW dammit, activity when the playoffs aren't even over yet?
    This is why, obviously . And now we've missed out on Brown because of it. [/green]

If we were truly interested, then I have to assume we had preliminary talks with Mike Brown, who either made it clear that he didn't want to come here or had a preference to go to another team, like the Lakers.

It's not like we're sitting on our hands. It's possible that we want to talk to Casey but really can't right now without Dallas' permission. Who knows.

If anything, the most telling thing is that Larry stated draft was #1 for him right now. Of course it's coming up fast, but there are only 6 days to sign a coach after the draft before we're in lockout mode. It's a stretch, but to me that implies that the move(s) we make related to the draft might have a factor in determining who our coach might be.

This says to me that we might be making a big move or two and puts a little truth to the Minnesota rumor that was floated.

or on PD

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This is why, obviously . And now we've missed out on Brown because of it. [/green]

If we were truly interested, then I have to assume we had preliminary talks with Mike Brown, who either made it clear that he didn't want to come here or had a preference to go to another team, like the Lakers.

It's not like we're sitting on our hands. It's possible that we want to talk to Casey but really can't right now without Dallas' permission. Who knows.

If anything, the most telling thing is that Larry stated draft was #1 for him right now. Of course it's coming up fast, but there are only 6 days to sign a coach after the draft before we're in lockout mode. It's a stretch, but to me that implies that the move(s) we make related to the draft might have a factor in determining who our coach might be.

This says to me that we might be making a big move or two and puts a little truth to the Minnesota rumor that was floated.
    You might be giving the Pacers FO too much credit, this the FO office that hired their last coach over the phone, and let said coach fire the #1 assistant last year and replaced them with with a bunch of newbies.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Hasn't Brown been available for a long time? What was the rush?

If you ran baseball, you'd call the on deck batter out if he wasn't in the batter's box by the time the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher after the previous strikeout.

What kills me is the number of people screaming that it isn't moving fast enough and the number of people who would scream if it moved too fast. Seems like you can't satisfy anyone in this business.
    Time is critical because your competition is hiring coaches as well. I'm not waiting until the week before to find my date to prom. All the good looking girls will be taken.