View Poll Results: Which injured player would you take risk on?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • David West

34 33.33%
  • Yao Ming

10 9.80%
  • Caron Butler

28 27.45%
  • Michael Redd

11 10.78%
  • Greg Oden

48 47.06%
  • None

9 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which injured player would you take risk on?

Default Which injured player would you take risk on?

It's a little slow these days, so I was curious if you had to gamble on one of the players coming off of injury in free agency who would you rather have?

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which injured player would you take risk on?

Greg Oden...most of his injuries have been freak accidents, such as sprained ankles and such. A healthy Oden is an automatic All-Star on both ends of the court, but especially defensively.

Because of their past injuries, I don't feel as though they'd cost too much to take a risk on (I could be complete off base here) but I honestly like the list of players in the poll!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greg Oden...most of his injuries have been freak accidents, such as sprained ankles and such. A healthy Oden is an automatic All-Star on both ends of the court, but especially defensively.
    sprained ankles? WTF?? All his injuryys are on his knees and are serve. He would cost you 10m a year BTW you have to take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    sprained ankles? WTF?? All his injuryys are on his knees and are serve. He would cost you 10m a year BTW you have to take that into account.
    I'm a little curious as to see why he would be worth so much. He hasn't proven anything in this league so far and certainly does not deserve that much?

Assuming this is all for the right price I would go with Redd and Oden. I think Ming is done, West is just out of this teams age range, and i was never really a fan of Butler. I wouldn't expect Oden to stay healthy, but for a small enough contract I would give him a chance for a season or two because if he does surprise everyone and becomes healthy he is a game changer. Redd mostly because I think he would be perfect coming off of the bench for this team.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I'm a little curious as to see why he would be worth so much. He hasn't proven anything in this league so far and certainly does not deserve that much?
    Anyone saying anything over $5 million isn't being realistic. They are basing it off of what the perceive someone with his skill who has had some recent minor injury troubles would make, not someone who has had injury troubles on the scale of Johnathan Bender.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    for one the Blazers will give him his qualifying offer which is 8m dollars. So they would most likely be willing to match any thing reasonable. The Blazers aren't just gonna give the #1 away like that they have invested to much into him.

http://www.videojugpages.com/pages/1...ury-What-Next- here is a good read on him.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/5/5/...aid-he-expects

Portland has to extend the offer sheet to make him a RFA they would be really stupid to not and let him be a URFA.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-05-2011 at 02:45 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I would take the risk on Oden or Redd. I believe that Oden still has a chance to be a good center in this league if he can just take care of his body, but I'm not sure if he can.

I like Redd because he would be a great addition to our bench. Our bench really needs help scoring the ball, and that is where he could really help. The only problem I have is he isn't fully healed, but if we limit him to 12-15 mpg I think he would be fine.

For the right price (meaning we don't sign them on some stupidly high contract),

Greg Oden
    Micheal Redd
    Caron Butler

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

I think Caron Butler still has a lot left in the tank and I don't think he'll be negatively affected much by this last injury of his...I think he'll be back to his normal form when he comes back onto the court.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

I think Yao is intriguing both as a player and marketing wise of course with the huge following in China, but I don't think he'll ever be healthy enough to play again.

David West may not be ready to start the season, and may not even opt out after the injury, but I think he would be a nice vet at PF if healthy.

I think Oden will remain in Portland, but I would definitely take a chance on him, bring him off the bench behind Roy to see if he can get and remain healthy. If so you have a really nice problem at Center.

If Michael Redd can still shoot, he could be worthwhile off the bench.

I like Butler, but I think Cuban will pay to keep him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I think Yao is intriguing both as a player and marketing wise of course with the huge following in China, but I don't think he'll ever be healthy enough to play again.

David West may not be ready to start the season, and may not even opt out after the injury, but I think he would be a nice vet at PF if healthy.

I think Oden will remain in Portland, but I would definitely take a chance on him, bring him off the bench behind Roy to see if he can get and remain healthy. If so you have a really nice problem at Center.

If Michael Redd can still shoot, he could be worthwhile off the bench.

I like Butler, but I think Cuban will pay to keep him.

IF
    Oden was 100% healthy he wouldn't be a backup Roy would be the one coming off the bench.

I'm sorry but Greg Oden has a 0% chance of getting 100% healthy. Give me David West, no question.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

I'm about to go scouring other teams message boards to see how they feel about Oden, because I can't imagine people everywhere really think he has a chance. Is it because he's from Indiana? That's all I can think of.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I'm about to go scouring other teams message boards to see how they feel about Oden, because I can't imagine people everywhere really think he has a chance. Is it because he's from Indiana? That's all I can think of.
    I think it is an Indiana thing. I can't imagine Portland would even consider making him a RFA. I don't care how much you invest in something at a certain point you have to cut your losses. The only way he stays in Portland is if he signs a contract smaller than his rookie contract. It is like Bob Sanders, the talent is there, but no one is going to sign him to the amount his talent demands because he is only going to play 8 games a season MAX. The best he will get is a back-up salary. Oden is in an even worse position as he has yet to be healthy so he isn't going to get anything more than a low 2nd string high 3rd string type of salary.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 06-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Gotta Play Big

WTF is right.

There are a lot of people on PD who claim he'll get 10M/Yr or so yet act like he's worth next to nothing. He scares me too, so I get the concern. However, do the people who get far more information about his health know less than all of us? I'm sure that multiple, highly educated people have to agree on this deal after it has been thoroughly reviewed.

Personally, I picked Oden because I do not believe he has been deemed "done" by the experts. West is definitely the safer pick and he would help us for sure. I could just as well have picked West. No, he will not be a difference maker but he'll make us more competitive and help us with another playoff run IMO.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    WTF is right.

There are a lot of people on PD who claim he'll get 10M/Yr or so yet act like he's worth next to nothing. He scares me too, so I get the concern. However, do the people who get far more information about his health know less than all of us? I'm sure that multiple, highly educated people have to agree on this deal after it has been thoroughly reviewed.

Personally, I picked Oden because I do not believe he has been deemed "done" by the experts. West is definitely the safer pick and he would help us for sure. I could just as well have picked West. No, he will not be a difference maker but he'll make us more competitive and help us with another playoff run IMO.
    If they do give him a qualify offer we would have to give him that type of money for the Blazers not to match IMO. They are gonna extend the offer and hope he accepts IMO. They have invested so much into him so one more year is a must they have rehabbed him off injures numerous times and rehabbed him this season so i assume Portland wants him back.

Butler..

I wouldn't go near Oden and Yao, and Butler is better than Redd and West. He also has a tendency to sign for less than he's worth.

edit: oops, i was thinking of a different player for West. I'd still take Butler though, only because I don't think West and Hibbert are a great fit.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Gotta Play Big

If they do give him a qualify offer we would have to give him that type of money for the Blazers not to match IMO. They are gonna extend the offer and hope he accepts IMO. They have invested so much into him so one more year is a must they have rehabbed him off injures numerous times and rehabbed him this season so i assume Portland wants him back.
    I don't think they will consider the past when they make a huge financial commitment in the future. These guys are professionals.

Of course, they did pick Oden over Durant...

I voted for West. He will come back healthy. He can play great next to DC, but I don't think he would be the best PF for Hibbert to play next to. But I think he is the best one on the poll.
    I would go off of the poll and take a chance on Brandon Roy. If we could trade for him and not give up our core I would go for it. He seemed to be getting back to his old self during the palyoffs.

HELL no to Brandon Roy.

He averaged 9 ppg in the playoffs, that's nowhere near his old self. He gets paid more than Granger as well. I'm not risking burning up almost all of our cap space for a guy who's gotten progressively worse the last couple years with a degenerative knee problem.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

If I were Oden I woudl not except the qualifying offer. I'd be trying to get out of Portland as fast as possible. That team has a knee injury problem. Oden's knees get injured, Roy's knees get injured, and it seems like they aren't the best at rehabilitating these players.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    If I were Oden I woudl not except the qualifying offer. I'd be trying to get out of Portland as fast as possible. That team has a knee injury problem. Oden's knees get injured, Roy's knees get injured, and it seems like they aren't the best at rehabilitating these players.
    That is like saying players shouldn't sign with the Pacers because Bender had injury problems. People put too much weight on doctors and training staff when 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the training staff or doctors and has to do with the players own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That is like saying players shouldn't sign with the Pacers because Bender had injury problems. People put too much weight on doctors and training staff when 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the training staff or doctors and has to do with the players own body.
    Of course I get what your saying. All I'm saying is that with certain teams there appears to be trends with certain types of injuries and re-injuries.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.