Thread: Washington wants to institute "Jock Tax" to return NBA to Seattle

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Washington wants to institute "Jock Tax" to return NBA to Seattle

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...on_is_pro.html

Seattle — They call it a "jock tax" and if someone around here had thought of it a few years ago, maybe the Sonics_not the Oklahoma City Thunder -- would be playing in the Western Conference finals.

The tax is one of a few ideas being considered by two Washington state lawmakers who hope to bring the NBA back to Seattle.

State Representatives Mike Hope, R-Lake Stevens, and David Frockt, D-Seattle, said the first step is forming a bipartisan task force of lawmakers, business leaders and grass-roots activists.

The coalition plans to discuss the merits of a jock tax that would require visiting professional athletes to pay state income tax for each game in the state of Washington. The funds from the tax would help finance construction of a new facility or renovation of an existing one for an NBA team.

"We have different, various ideas," Hope said. "I'm not exactly sure which one will go forward, but I want to have something done and tangible, a piece of legislation ready to go by January of next year. So that when the Legislature convenes they can start hammering away at this."

According to an April 12, 2009, article in The Los Angeles Times, the state of California collected $102 million in taxes from visiting athletes in 2006-07.

"It's a huge amount of money," Hope said. "Every time the Mariners and Seahawks go there, they get taxed. But when their players come here, we don't tax them.

"To me it's about equity. It's about developing a plan to do that and to use that money to bond out for something. What I like about it the most is, it doesn't cost the taxpayers in Washington state a single dime."

For jaded Sonics fans still angry after Seattle political leaders agreed to settle a lawsuit that allowed Clay Bennett to move the team to Oklahoma City, it's the first significant plan from Olympia to bring an NBA team to the area.

Jason Reid, who directed "Sonicsgate: Requiem for a Team," plans to join the task force, and is cautiously optimistic.

"We're obviously excited about anyone who wants to bring the issue to the forefront, especially when it comes to someone in government actually representing the effort to bring the Sonics back," Reid said. "So pardon the pun, but we have a lot of hope in Hope because he's saying the right things, at least as of now."

NBA spokesman Tim Frank declined to comment.

At the NBA Board of Governors meeting last month, commissioner David Stern said the league has no plans on expanding the 30-team league domestically, which means the only way Seattle can acquire a team is through relocation.

In perhaps a cruel twist of fate, Bennett is the chairman of the NBA relocation committee. However, Reid believes the Thunder owner might help Seattle.

"Just the way things were handled in Seattle, everybody involved wants that black eye (removed)," he said. "Between the NBA and Clay Bennett and even the local politicians, nobody came out of it looking good."

A few teams could potentially relocate within the next few years.

The NBA purchased the New Orleans Hornets last December. The Kings petitioned to move to Anaheim, Calif., but will remain in Sacramento at least one more season.

NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said last month 22 of the 30 teams are projected to lose money this season as the league braces for an expected lockout.

While the NBA attempts to fix a broken business model, Hope said it's important that lawmakers begin to lay the groundwork for a team to relocate to this area.

"The business community, they want to see something tangible first," Hope said. "And that's what we have to get give them. That's what the Legislature has to step up and do."

Reid said he believes Sonics fans will soon watch their favorite team in Seattle once again.

"I've maintained hope that we can get it done relatively quickly," he said.

"That's why we've maintained the heat and kept the pressure on.
    "I'm hopeful for a five-year plan. It's realistic in that window we can get a team back, especially if the will is there."

Default Re: Washington wants to institute "Jock Tax" to return NBA to Seattle

It would really weird if the Kings ended up in Seattle.

Sorry Seattle give it up already.

If you're city can somehow string together hundreds of millions of dollars to build a new arena, then you might have a shot at landing the Kings if they don't get their arena. Outside of the Kings, it does not appear that anyone is moving.

I feel bad and I'd be mad, but again unless you can get a new arena plan going and a team like the Kings who can't seem to get in Sacramento like the Sonics couldn't in Seattle, then you will not be getting an NBA team. I'm sorry.

Enjoy your Seahawks and Mariners and their fancy, new venues.

Look at the brightside. There's still pro basketball being played at Key Arena. Team Bing.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 05-24-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It doesn't appear that anyone is moving?

What about the teams that the article itself mentioned? Hornets and Kings? Although, I do expect Sacramento to get their act together, I don't know what to expect with the Hornets since the NBA owns them, but I'm sure they would salivate at the mouth if Seattle somehow managed to build a state of the art arena. They'd be getting the Mayflower trucks ASAP.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

You never know who is going to move and who may decide that Seattle is a better opportunity than where they presently are. There is a lot of money in Seattle, people are well paid, and public transportation is decent, all things that make for a profitable fan base.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I expect a new arena to be built in Sacramento within the year. I really don't think that will be a problem anymore and Kings fans can thank Kevin Johnson for that.

But the Hornets? Well whoever wants to buy the franchise should be allowed to move the team wherever. The NBA cannot continue to own the franchise. Its just a bad situation. I really think that they have to go with the first person that shows serious interest and good intent.

If the Kings get their new arena, I'm sure it'll just be your typical modern arena. Some bars, restaurants, luxury boxes, larger seating capacity, more leg room.

That's why I'm grateful for the Fieldhouse and its beauty. It's themed, it's beautiful inside and outside and it will definitely be a top notch venue for many many more years to come. When the city built the Fieldhouse and Lucas Oil Stadium, they wanted it to have a retro/modern look. That's what Indiana loves and I'm sure any owner would love to own a team who plays in the Fieldhouse. Simon is a lucky man.

What makes me believe the Hornets might not leave is because of the age of their arena. It's not old and like I said, it's your typical modern arena like most teams play in so there's nothing wrong with that which seems to be the case for teams who move. However, they have no ownership and the city of New Orleans most likely will not pay for the team from the league.

So unless the Hornets can find an owner who will keep the team situated, they will have to start looking elsewhere.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 05-24-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I expect a new arena to be built in Sacramento within the year. I really don't think that will be a problem anymore and Kings fans can thank Kevin Johnson for that.

But the Hornets? Well whoever wants to buy the franchise should be allowed to move the team wherever. The NBA cannot continue to own the franchise. Its just a bad situation. I really think that they have to go with the first person that shows serious interest and good intent.
    There has to be a good reason for an owner to move a team which is typically due to the arena they play in.

I think in this case, if the Hornets cannot find a new owner within the next 2 years, they will have to start considering offers outside of New Orleans.

The heck with Seattle, let's look at the bigger picture.

Indiana and most of its counties levy taxes on individuals that work inside their borders. In Ohio, it gets very ridiculous because taxes are oftentimes levied for cities within counties and even townships within the counties. All of that is a nightmare for company payroll departments, but that is another story.

It just seems to me that an additional tax on out-of-state athletes "working" inside Marion county would go a long way towards assuring the Pacers stay in Indy by providing more than enough funds for the maintenance fees of Conseco Fieldhouse (and Lucas Oil Stadium for that matter). The maintenance of Conseco was the recent bone of contention between the CIB and the Pacers.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

Indiana and most of its counties levy taxes on individuals that work inside their borders. In Ohio, it gets very ridiculous because taxes are oftentimes levied for cities within counties and even townships within the counties. All of that is a nightmare for company payroll departments, but that is another story.

It just seems to me that an additional tax on out-of-state athletes "working" inside Marion county would go a long way towards assuring the Pacers stay in Indy by providing more than enough funds for the maintenance fees of Conseco Fieldhouse (and Lucas Oil Stadium for that matter). The maintenance of Conseco was the recent bone of contention between the CIB and the Pacers.
    This city is no different than any other city or at least most of the average sized.

The city will have to aid the arena's operating costs in some kind of way for most teams. Fortunately, the CIB has had the Fieldhouse and the Luc under control which takes a load off of Simon and Irsay in managing their respective teams.

I don't have an issue with the taxes. What can you do? The money is being divided among anything and we don't have any control over that. It's the case everywhere.

I also didn't like the whole "keeping the team in Indianapolis" because it's not just the Pacers or even the Colts. Everyone who runs a sports franchise wants their team to stay forever and they always work hard to keep a strong franchise.

The Pacers have a great deal of support here in Indy. Hopefully the team's new owner someday will bring as much dedication as the Simons have brought for years.

This is a franchise you can be proud of. Owning the team that plays in the Fieldhouse is something to be proud of in the state of rich basketball history.

I know I sound very cheesey and I sound like I'm being very optimistic, but you know what it's the truth and anyone who knows this franchise well enough knows how great it is and what it has.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 05-24-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Build it and they will come. Worked out for Indy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

For some reason, I thought we already did this in Indiana.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Does Indiana tax outside athletes? That's a good question to ask because if it isn't being done, it should be.

I know I've never heard that they do but that would help cover the costs of both LOS and CFH through the CIB.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

We do.

As do most other states.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Baltimore looks to be building an arena. How long before there's speculation of an NBA team there?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,1434961.story

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Baltimore looks to be building an arena. How long before there's speculation of an NBA team there?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,1434961.story
    Since the Wizards né Bullets started in Baltimore, would it make sense for them to get moved over?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Since the Wizards né Bullets started in Baltimore, would it make sense for them to get moved over?
    No. There's no reason for the Wizards to leave.

I don't see anyone going there.

At this point, it only looks like the Kings and Hornets are in trouble unless both teams come to a resolution a year from now, they're screwed.

Mood

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ous-cities-247

Guess Ray Lewis would argue that Baltimore needs an NBA team to lower its crime rate?