Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see the Cavs being willing to wait for him, though. He's going to fall a little.
    Why wouldn't the Cavs wait? They are gonna suck with Kanter or without Valanciunas next year regardless. I just think he is the perfect fit to play with Kyrie. But they pay not want to wait because it may be a 2 yrs before he comes over that buyout is toxic.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I have my Euros mixed up....is it Motiejunas or Valanciunas that may have some buyout concerns that may leave him in Europe for another season or two?
    Valanciunas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I'm narrowed down to:

- Jimmer Fredette
    - Kenneth Faried
    - Jeremy Tyler
    - Bismack Biyombo
    - Alec Burks
    - Brandon Knight

I'd be okay with any of them, depending on where we draft (if we trade up or stay or down)
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Why wouldn't the Cavs wait? They are gonna suck with Kanter or without Valanciunas next year regardless. I just think he is the perfect fit to play with Kyrie. But they pay not want to wait because it may be a 2 yrs before he comes over that buyout is toxic.
    Because Gilbert isn't the kind of owner that likes to wait. He'll be even less patient when he sees how few people purchase season tickets next year.

Watching the Combine, many of the draft analysts were saying that Fariad is the type of Player that understands his role on the Team and strives to fill that role very well. As you suggested....he cares more about grabbing that 30th rebound then scoring the ball. He won't be able to create his own shot or hit a mid-range jumpshot...but I'm okay with him scoring on put-backs and scrounging for those rebounds.

I know that his size will be a concern.....but short of drafting Donatas Motiejunas ( and waiting for him to come over in a year or two )...I have no problem drafting a Player like Fariad.
    Yeah the more i look into this kid the more I am sold. I am really digging this guy.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    Yeah the more i look into this kid the more I am sold. I am really digging this guy.
    IF you are okay with getting ( what I think ) to be a rotational 6th to 8th ( as his likely "floor" ) Frontcourt Player that appears to be a "rebounding and shotblocking that doesn't have much of an offensive game" version of Hansbrough ( as in a high motor / energy PF ) that isn't really that tall.....then Fariad is probably your guy.

Because I prefer to draft a Frontcourt Player ( due mainly to positional need that fills a certain skillset ) and don't expect to get anything other then a rotational Player out of this draft at the 15th spot; unless Jimmer is CLEARLY the BPA, is "heads and shoulder" the better Player, then I am okay with drafting Fariad over a Player like Jimmer.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

IF you are okay with getting ( what I think ) to be a rotational 6th to 8th ( as his likely "floor" ) Frontcourt Player that appears to be a "rebounding and shotblocking that doesn't have much of an offensive game" version of Hansbrough ( as in a high motor / energy PF ) that isn't really that tall.....then Fariad is probably your guy.

Because I prefer to draft a Frontcourt Player ( due mainly to positional need that fills a certain skillset ) and don't expect to get anything other then a rotational Player out of this draft at the 15th spot; unless Jimmer is CLEARLY the BPA, is "heads and shoulder" the better Player, then I am okay with drafting Fariad over a Player like Jimmer.
    my only thing is we already have that 6-8th rotation guy in Tyler. I want an upgrade and that cant be had in this draft.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because Gilbert isn't the kind of owner that likes to wait. He'll be even less patient when he sees how few people purchase season tickets next year.
    Agreed. Remember, the Cavs have to win a title before Lebron does.

So he's got about 3 weeks.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Just to be clear - Valanciunas' buyout isn't "huge" and "toxic", it is simply being negotiated.
    He has no buyout clause whatsoever, and his current team can easily keep him in Europe till 2014. However, his team has very serious financial difficulties and is looking to cash in. ASAP.
    I'd be very surprised if Valanciunas' buyout issues aren't solved before the draft. It's both in his and his team's interests.
    I'd also be surprised if Valanciunas stays in Europe unless there's some sort of lockout next year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Just to be clear - Valanciunas' buyout isn't "huge" and "toxic", it is simply being negotiated.
    He has no buyout clause whatsoever, and his current team can easily keep him in Europe till 2014. However, his team has very serious financial difficulties and is looking to cash in. ASAP.
    I'd be very surprised if Valanciunas' buyout issues aren't solved before the draft. It's both in his and his team's interests.
    I'd also be surprised if Valanciunas stays in Europe unless there's some sort of lockout next year.
    Thats why i said toxic because they hold his rights til 2014-2015. I didn't know his team is in debt. But is what the NBA is allowed to offer them even close to being attractive to his team? Another euro league team could do what happened with Rubio right? They could make a lot more money that way and can tell Valanciunas they will hold him there unless he accepts a 1 or 2 year deal from another euro league team.

My guess is they negotiate down his current contract and factor in a buyout clause for next season in exchange.

Thats why i said toxic because they hold his rights til 2014-2015. I didn't know his team is in debt. But would what the NBA is allowed to offer them even close to being attractive to his team? Another euro league team could do what happened with Rubio right?
    Obviously, Valanciunas would have to pay a chunk of it out of his own salary.
    They are trying to negotiate a deal where buyout size depends on where Valanciunas is drafted. The higher he's drafted, the higher his salary, the more they get. That's why I think it will be in paper by draft day. The team is interested in him going high.

Another issue (reportedly) is that the team wants the cash right away, they don't want to wait for Valanciunas paychecks. So it makes it more complicated, some sort of loan would have to be involved.

Another Euroleague team could buy him, sure. But I doubt it. Rubio was a special case, he was basically a national hero in a country with the richest basketball league. Valanciunas isn't a complete player, he doesn't have the hype in the rich leagues - Spain/Italy/Greece/Russia. So I'd doubt someone offers millions for a chance to develop him.

My guess is they negotiate down his current contract and factor in a buyout clause for next season in exchange.
    Well his reported salary this year was 80k euros (~110k $), so it probably isn't an option.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm good with just about anybody not named Tristan Thompson at #8....Valanciunas I'd be willing to wait a year for.
    Now I'm curious... what don't you like about Tristan Thompson? Athletic big, not very skilled, a bit of a project. To be honest that could describe some of the other prospects too, like Valanciunas or Biyombo. If those two are taken before #8, wouldn't you consider Thompson then?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Obviously, Valanciunas would have to pay a chunk of it out of his own salary.
    They are trying to negotiate a deal where buyout size depends on where Valanciunas is drafted. The higher he's drafted, the higher his salary, the more they get. That's why I think it will be in paper by draft day. The team is interested in him going high.

Another issue (reportedly) is that the team wants the cash right away, they don't want to wait for Valanciunas paychecks. So it makes it more complicated, some sort of loan would have to be involved.

Another Euroleague team could buy him, sure. But I doubt it. Rubio was a special case, he was basically a national hero in a country with the richest basketball league. Valanciunas isn't a complete player, he doesn't have the hype in the rich leagues - Spain/Italy/Greece/Russia. So I'd doubt someone offers millions for a chance to develop him.
    So is Valanciunas really willing to play in the NBA for free? Because the way I read the Rubio situation was he would of had to pay all of his rookie salary for 3 years to his former team. Or is Valanciunas's not that bad how big would his buy out be?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Now I'm curious... what don't you like about Tristan Thompson? Athletic big, not very skilled, a bit of a project. To be honest that could describe some of the other prospects too, like Valanciunas or Biyombo. If those two are taken before #8, wouldn't you consider Thompson then?
    There are about 10 players in this draft I'd want over Thompson, and since we're picking 8th....

Biyombo and Thompson have similar skill sets, but the major difference is Biyombo has a great motor and Thompson too often plays like he doesn't care. It also helps he's a little bigger, faster and stronger.

As for Valanciunas, he's got more skill to his game than either of the other two, and he's gaining ground defensively. Also, I like his intensity level as well.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

So is Valanciunas really willing to play in the NBA for free? Because the way I read the Rubio situation was he would of had to pay all of his rookie salary for 3 years to his former team. Or is Valanciunas's not that bad how big would his buy out be?
    Noone plays for free. I don't think he'll have to. I think his team will agree to a much lower buyout price than his rookie salary. This is a different situation.

Again, the difference with Rubio is that, one, Badalona (Rubio's team) was a rich team. Not rich enough to refuse 7 mil for Rubio, but they weren't going broke.
    Second, Rubio was a very hot commodity in a rich country - Wolves, Barcelona, Madrid Real were all fighting for him and raising the price, so Badalona could drive a hard bargain.
    And then Rubio's contract had a clear buyout clause as far as I remember - 6 or 7 mil mil $. So Badalona basically told everyone - pay up what's on paper or go away. And they got nearly full amount in the end.

Now Valanciunas situation is different. His team is nearly broke. They had their home arena arrested (wrong term?) for debts earlier this season. There's no buyout in the contract, but they need the money, and they made no secret they are willing to grant a buyout for a price. They don't have the leverage that Rubio's team had.

So unless a giant Euroleague team comes in and raises the buyout price to Rubio levels (seems unlikely), it seems there's got to be a semi-sane buyout sooner rather than later.

I thought NBA teams could only offer 500,000 USD to buyout a player and that the rest of buyout has to come from the players side which is one of the big reasons Rubio stayed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I thought NBA teams could only offer 500,000 USD to buyout a player and that the rest of buyout has to come from the players side which is one of the big reasons Rubio stayed.
    Yes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

my only thing is we already have that 6-8th rotation guy in Tyler. I want an upgrade and that cant be had in this draft.
    Yeah....that's the sad part....for the next season or two..we already have a whole bunch of 6th to 8th rotational guys on our roster and it's likely that at 15...that is what we will be left with choosing.

But for the same reasons that you mention as to why we wouldn't pickup Fariad over Jimmer ( cuz we have Hansbrough )....the same reason can be used to justify not picking up Jimmer ( cuz we have PG and/or Inferno ).

But I guess that IF PG is ready to move out of the Backup rotation to the starting lineup...then I guess I'm okay with drafting Jimmer if needed ( I look at him more as a Scoring Wing Player as opposed to a PG ).

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Agreed. Remember, the Cavs have to win a title before Lebron does.

So he's got about 3 weeks.

Banned

I really like Marshon Brooks. He has excellent size; 6'5", 200 lb. and an enormous 7'1" wingspan. 25/7/3 in the Big East.

2011 NBA Mock Draft: Is Marshon Brooks Really a Top 20 Pick? | Bleacher Report

Yes, it's Bleacher Report, but it cites Chad Ford and Tim Grover, the trainer for both Brooks and Kobe:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Rudnansky
    Chad Ford of ESPN got some rather extraordinary quotes from NBA GM's regarding Brooks.

Said one NBA GM:

"If he was two years younger or if his team had won more games, he'd be a lottery pick. But as far as NBA scorers go, there aren't any guards in this draft that can get his own shot at the NBA level like him."

Key word: any.

That includes Connecticut's Kemba Walker.

Want another quote sure to rattle your brain?

"There's a little bit of Kobe in him, isn't there?"

That's Brooks' trainer, Tim Grover, who just so happens to train Bryant, as well.
    Here's his 52 point (20-28 shooting) explosion against Notre Dame. You can definitely see where the Kobe comparisons come from...

The knock against him is that he's older (a decrepit 22), his team wasn't that good (15-17) and referred to himself in the third-person during pre-draft interviews, bringing up character concerns . If that's the best his doubters can do, then I like him even more.
    Last edited by Jared Sullinger; 05-25-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Imagine us getting Marshon Brooks AND OJ Mayo.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Imagine us getting Marshon Brooks AND OJ Mayo.
    I'll take that Brooks burger with no Mayo please...

Brooks will go a lot earlier than when he is projected right now, just like george shot up boards last year so will brooks.

Th kid has a lot of game and can really score... I just haven't seen his defense, but I am sure that will be a point of emphasis in pre draft workouts...

I wouldn't mind, especially if we could turn Granger into the #2 pick and have Cleveland pass on Kyrie and grab him at 2'

I would be okay with Kyrie/Brooks/George/4/Hibbert as a young group of players.

maybe we can grab Perry Jones next draft if he learns how to play the 4, lol

I really get tired of the worn out, hacky "Indiana loves those white bread players" jokes that always seem to make it in to national rumor articles. So god damned tired and unfunny.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Admittedly, I've never seen Reggie Jackson play, or even heard of him until draft coverage started, but every time I read something about him I'm like "how in the world do you NOT draft this dude?"