Thread: Portland Fires GM Rich Cho.

Banned

Post Portland Fires GM Rich Cho.

Trail Blazers part ways with GM Rich Cho | NBA.com

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Portland Trail Blazers announced today that they have parted ways with Rich Cho, the team's general manager of basketball operations.

"The fit between Rich and our team simply wasn't right," said Trail Blazers President Larry Miller. "This was a tough move because I respect Rich and he's a good person with many strong skills. But it simply wasn't a good match."

Trail Blazers Director of College Scouting Chad Buchanan will serve as acting general manager. Buchanan has been with the team for four years. Buchanan and Head Coach Nate McMillan will report to Miller until a permanent replacement is hired.

Trail Blazers Owner Paul G. Allen said the move is part of the franchise's commitment to building a championship contending team. "This decision, as difficult as it was to make, reflects our willingness to admit and recognize that things haven't worked out," Allen said. "We're going to be tough on ourselves in assessing what we could have done better, and then go out and find the executive who is the best fit with the needs of our franchise. That chemistry and connection is critically important."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Portland Fires GM Rich Cho.

He needs to re-fire the guy who signed Brandon Roy to that ridiculous contract.

Banned

Roy's contract was signed in the summer of 2009, after back-to-back All-NBA seasons. Healthy, too: 74 and 78 games played. I can't see how locking up a player of that caliber is a bad move.

By the way, Chow made the great Wes Matthews signing and the move for Gerald Wallace, two moves regarded as very good, so it's odd that he's being fired.

I wonder if Wojo will hatchet this guy to death like Pritch, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wow, that job seems like it's a poisoned chalice. Good luck finding an adequate replacement after the last 2 summers Portland.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if Wojo will hatchet this guy to death like Pritch, too.
    Wojo actually blasted Portland's decision makers after learning of this firing.

in his words...

"With Paul Allen, Larry Miller and Vulcans, no GM will ever please them. They want a weak-minded person willing to be controlled. A waste." - via twitter
    http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/st...54957639630848
    Grown Man Ball

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Wonder if this means they will try a big move / trade. New GM just can't set there with their thumb up there, he has to do something,,,,right?

How bout trade us Oden and a 2011 1st round pick to clear salary. hehe
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 05-23-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added a line

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Roy's contract was signed in the summer of 2009, after back-to-back All-NBA seasons. Healthy, too: 74 and 78 games played. I can't see how locking up a player of that caliber is a bad move.

By the way, Chow made the great Wes Matthews signing and the move for Gerald Wallace, two moves regarded as very good, so it's odd that he's being fired.
    Couldn't agree more. Hindsight is 20/20 and people like to give a revisionist's history of that signing and say that Portland knew about his knee condition. But, like you said, coming off of the 2 seasons prior to that contract there's no way they could've gotten away with giving him a lesser deal. Not to mention he has been the biggest fan favorite in Portland since probably Clyde Drexler.
    Grown Man Ball

The more I read the more I think Allen's flunkies should let the basketball people run the team. Prichard and Cho have both make good moves and got fired anyway. My question is why?

Does anyone know what the fans in Portland are saying?

Early on in the season, Larry Miller said that they knew about Roy's knee issues when they gave him that contract. It really is indefensible even with his body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    Early on in the season, Larry Miller said that they knew about Roy's knee issues when they gave him that contract. It really is indefensible even with his body of work.
    I remember reading that, but did they ask for the doctors advice, go against it, etc,?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    The more I read the more I think Allen's flunkies should let the basketball people run the team. Prichard and Cho have both make good moves and got fired anyway. My question is why?

Does anyone know what the fans in Portland are saying?
    I don't get it! I thought he did an AMAZING job.
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Vulcan went too far last year, and now this is beyond explainable
    I have no trust in the Vulcans ability to run a business. The KP situation was bungled from top to bottom and now this. Just when I was starting to warm to Cho...

Problem is, I think Paul Allen puts absolute trust in Vulcan. This is a big part of why I ended my season tickets. It was too hard for me to accept the bunch up top.
    A GM with an opinion or who is not a 'yes man' is not welcome in the Blazer organization. Sadly, it is a figurehead job. "Not the right fit" is pure BS. Anyone buying that load of cr@p?

Just another episode of an abject void of letting quality people do their job.
    Just a sample from RealGM Blazers board, couldnt find one person for the move or who understood it

Poor Rich
    Sittin on top of the world!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was well known he had a degenerative knee problem that would hinder him. They failed to put any team options in the contract at all, despite fighting for one. They gave in.

Paying a guy who's got a degenerative body part isn't a good plan. In particular when you're paying them near max money. Failing to protect yourself with team options isn't a good plan. There's a ton of things wrong with that signing. Same thing with people wanting to sign Greg Oden. You're just asking for it when you do that. Roy had multiple knee surgeries before the 08-09 season, including having cartilage removed from his knee. This isn't revisionist, and it's not rocket science either. It was known at the time.

Last edited by xBulletproof; 05-23-2011 at 07:25 PM.

We are lucky to have Mr. Simon around, he would never do something this stupid.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post: