Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: David Morway interview 21 May

  1. #26
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever was said after the deadline doesnot mean its accurate.
    But you would acknowledge that, in any event, that is the only information we have with regards to who was primarily to blame, correct? Otherwise, it's pure speculation no matter what one's opinion is, right?

    Why would the Pacers Front office admit to botching a trade? Of course they are going to deflect.
    Have you seen anything that specifically suggests that the Pacers Front Office, specifically, botched this trade, or are you merely speculating?

    Just like Memphis's front office deflected and said the Pacers couldn't get their act together.
    Could you provide us with a source for this? I don't recall this.

    Didn't the Memphis owner essentially post right when the deal was supposedly accomplished, that he wanted Mayo gone and thought that a change of scenery was needed for him?
    How would the above support your opinion that Morway "botched" the trade? This only would suggest that at one point the Memphis owner thought the deal was done, as I believe I recall him speaking to the local Memphis newspaper with word to the effect of what you say, implying that the trade was complete.

    Like I said i can only factually base my opinion on the end results. We had a deal in place, deal fell thru. Morway is the GM. The GM executes trades. Morway did not produce OJ Mayo at the trade deadline. Morway failed.
    These are all factual statements.
    They are factual until you get to "Morway failed." That is your opinion, not a fact. Elaborate on what you mean by failed. Do you simply mean he didn't get what he wanted, or are you suggesting something more to the effect that he is incompetent at his job?

  2. #27
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    In all fairness Heisely did throw the Pacers under the bus. Really though who cares? It didnt happen and we move on. NBA trades I would assume are very complicated, so I cant really believe one person is the sole responsibility for the trade or lack of trade

    If I had to guess , New Orleans "botched" the trade

    Questions is, if the Pacers somehow obtain Mayo in the offseason.........

    Who gets the credit then?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  3. #28

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    My understanding it was NOLA that botched the deal. They played a Charlotte and backed out of the deal at the last moment. NO ONE has ever said what the deal with NOLA was suppose to be or who was involved. Mayo for McBob and pick couldn't have been the deal, b/c salaries didn't match. There was a 3rd team involved to make the deal work. If they backed out of the deal, the deal was finished no matter what was settled on between Memphis and the Pacers. Please feel to correct me if I'm wrong.

    Now that I think about it, Rush was supposedly involved.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,556
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Questions is, if the Pacers somehow obtain Mayo in the offseason.........

    Who gets the credit then?
    Worldwide Wes?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  7. #30

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    [QUOTE=vapacersfan;1240066]

    Who cares who got the job done, so long as it got done.

    QUOTE]


    The person who did all the work while someone else got the credit, that is who cares!

  8. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    I feel weird saying this since I am so young, but some of the best managers I have had got credit for the work I did (or someone else on the team did) but I did not mind because we were working for a "team"

    Managing, by definition, is delegating.

    But I digress

  9. #32
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Holy cow, some people just don't know how to admit that their opinion isn't based on anything rational or factual. You can have that opinion based on a hunch or something, but to say it's based on fact when it clearly isn't .... is just ..... I don't even know. Dense? Silly? Either that or someone's attempt to try to annoy others, becuase there's no logic that supports it. None what so ever. Zip.

    I can't believe it's being discussed again. That's how silly it is.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,727

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever was said after the deadline doesnot mean its accurate. Why would the Pacers Front office admit to botching a trade? Of course they are going to deflect. Just like Memphis's front office deflected and said the Pacers couldn't get their act together. Didn't the Memphis owner essentially post right when the deal was supposedly accomplished, that he wanted Mayo gone and thought that a change of scenery was needed for him?

    Like I said i can only factually base my opinion on the end results. We had a deal in place, deal fell thru. Morway is the GM. The GM executes trades. Morway did not produce OJ Mayo at the trade deadline. Morway failed.
    These are all factual statements.
    Take a look at the Morway interview again. He clearly states that he talks to some teams, while Bird talks to others. How are we to know whom was speaking on behalf of the Pacers?

    The answer is, we don't know.

    Of course, I point out that part of the interview to you in a previous post, but it seems you chose to ignore it.

  12. #34
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Ok, can we ignore the "dude on a MAC" and actually discuss the content of the thread?

    I, personally, was interested in how much weight they put on getting guys that will function together. I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not... clearly it is.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you would acknowledge that, in any event, that is the only information we have with regards to who was primarily to blame, correct? Otherwise, it's pure speculation no matter what one's opinion is, right?



    Have you seen anything that specifically suggests that the Pacers Front Office, specifically, botched this trade, or are you merely speculating?



    Could you provide us with a source for this? I don't recall this.
    Okay right here, David Aldridge has the quote from Memphis's owner.

    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/0...ed-mayo-trade/

    “Indiana was not able to get it all together,” Heisley said in a telephone interview. “People are going to say I have reservations (about the proposed trade). I think from our point of view, we were interested in the trade going forward. It was a very, very difficult conversation for us. It took us a long time to decide. We were getting a lot of players at the two and three position and we were getting a little skinny at the four. We had three candidates we were looking at and when we decided on one, O.J. had to be part of that trade. It wasn’t that we were anxious to get rid of him.”

    If we weren't able to get it all together before 3PM then we botched the deal. Because apparently the deal was there for the taking according the the team owner.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are factual until you get to "Morway failed." That is your opinion, not a fact. Elaborate on what you mean by failed. Do you simply mean he didn't get what he wanted, or are you suggesting something more to the effect that he is incompetent at his job?
    At this specific task Morway failed, even though N.O. pulled out, it was revealed that we had a back up team to make it work, but by the time Morway had it all together and called the league, it was past 3pm.


    I really don't know how you all can't piece it together. If Morway is the guy in the front office who is all about the cap (as many on this site has said of him), then it makes sense that Morway is the one calling for on a 3rd to team to make the salaries match. Therefore Morway is the one who did not close this deal. That in my opinion means he failed. It was the Pacers deal as Memphis isn't calling up Indiana about Jmac. So we failed to see the deal thru. Morway is the GM. What do you guys think GM's do?

    I'm done talking about this. I've no more to say on the matter that could possibly change anyone's mind, and nobody has posted anything in the various threads that can convince me that David Morway is not a terrible GM that should not have been retained. There are several people on this board who post only to sling mud at me for various reasons, be it Gordon Hayward, Danny Granger, Mike Brown, and now David Morway. Thats just how its gonna be I guess. I find it hilarious that people complain about my posts while thanking those who only want to offer an insult.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 05-23-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  15. #36

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Why is a trade for OJ Mayo so hugely important? Mayo, if the trade had been made, would not have made the Pacers a .500 team all by himself. He's not a superstar. He's not a franchise player. The fact that this trade didn't happen means nothing, neither to the long-term development of this team nor as a basis for judging the entire body of someone's GM work. Can we all agree to "let the Mayo trade die" and instead focus on the draft and available free agents?

  16. #37
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    If another team pulls out of a GM's deal, it's his fault. And if it takes X amount of time to theoretically get another deal put together, and the GM has less than X time remaining, it's his fault. Also, ignore the part where the GM cant magically make another team agree to a deal all sides like and want. This is what you seem to be telling us.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  18. #38
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    I listened to the interview this morning. Something interesting to me was the vibe on a new coach. He talked about having a coach with the ability to get the most out of the players, a couple of times, he said Frank did great in a short time. He didn't leave me with the impression that Frank was the guy for sure, in any way. Nothing concrete to quote, just a general vibe.

    I just think more and more the whole "frontrunner" thing is a way to compliment the great job he did as interim, not saying that he is the complete favorite in any way to get the job moving forward. Just my opinion.

    Lastly, he did say they are getting closer to a decision, but who knows what that means.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I listened to the interview this morning. Something interesting to me was the vibe on a new coach. He talked about having a coach with the ability to get the most out of the players, a couple of times, he said Frank did great in a short time. He didn't leave me with the impression that Frank was the guy for sure, in any way. Nothing concrete to quote, just a general vibe.

    I just think more and more the whole "frontrunner" thing is a way to compliment the great job he did as interim, not saying that he is the complete favorite in any way to get the job moving forward. Just my opinion.

    Lastly, he did say they are getting closer to a decision, but who knows what that means.
    Speed,

    You think there is any correlation to not announcing the new coach and also Mike Brown having the GS job offered and him not accepting as of yet?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  21. #40
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speed,

    You think there is any correlation to not announcing the new coach and also Mike Brown having the GS job offered and him not accepting as of yet?
    Good call, I hadn't put those two things together. I could see that, for sure.

    To me, the longer it goes on, the greater the chance Frank isn't being retained. I have no evidence of that, it just makes sense to me. If Frank is the guy and they are sure of it, why not move forward now. Maybe there isn't a need to, I never felt like Obie was very involved in the assessment part of the draft, at all.

    Still, if there are any doubts about Frank and Mike Brown, Larry, and Simon are all on the same page....
    Last edited by Speed; 05-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  23. #41
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good call, I hadn't put those two things together. I could see that, for sure.

    To me, the longer it goes on, the greater the chance Frank isn't being retained. I have no evidence of that, it just makes sense to me. If Frank is the guy and they are sure of it, why not move forward now. Maybe there isn't a need to, I never felt like Obie was very involved in the assessment part of the draft, at all.

    Still, if there are any doubts about Frank and Mike Brown, Larry, and Simon are all on the same page....
    Thats what I am starting to think, that the comments of "Frank will be the first and last interview" was done out of respect for the job he did this season, but if you know Frank is your man, why not move now?

    the "due dilligence" is crap, and sounds like "if the guy we want shoots us down there is always Frank"
    Sittin on top of the world!

  24. #42
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats what I am starting to think, that the comments of "Frank will be the first and last interview" was done out of respect for the job he did this season, but if you know Frank is your man, why not move now?

    the "due dilligence" is crap, and sounds like "if the guy we want shoots us down there is always Frank"
    Wow. And if they'd signed Vogel to a contract as soon as the season was over and he promptly led us to an 0-20 start I'd bet you'd be one of the first to scream about the lack of investigation into other coaches.

    Tell me exactly why looking at all available coaches is a bad thing again?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #43
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. And if they'd signed Vogel to a contract as soon as the season was over and he promptly led us to an 0-20 start I'd bet you'd be one of the first to scream about the lack of investigation into other coaches.

    Tell me exactly why looking at all available coaches is a bad thing again?
    No, I think its a good thing. I just think that the longer it takes, Frank might not be the guy. I could be wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. David Thorpe on draft prospects
    By Placebo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM
  2. David Morway is the new Pacers GM
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
  3. Pacers might lose David Morway to the Cavs
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
  4. Q & A with David Dupree 3-2
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 03:13 AM
  5. My Interview with David Stern
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •