Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Morway interview 21 May

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default David Morway interview 21 May

Haven't seen this posted yet, thought it was quite informative.

http://kentsterling.com/2011/05/21/i...ion-and-vogel/

Some notes:

* Morway actually came up through the agent side of things. Can see things from agent/player perspective, experienced in contract negotiations. Mentioned Donnie's mentoring.

* On how he works with Bird. Says that Bird allows him to run basketball side of things, overseeing draft, free agency, and trades. Says he talks to some teams, Bird talks to other teams, and then they get together to make decisions. Sounds a bit 2-headed monsterish, but on the other hand it seems to be working.

* On the use of analytics to evaluate players. Says that player evaluation process takes in as much info as they can, but that analytics is an increasing component of what they do. Says that analytics isn't the area of expertise of either Bird or himself, but that they hired an expert to help out. This would be Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus.

* Some specific stats they're looking at: player production on-court vs off-court, vs different quality of players, at different positions, with different groups on the floor. Very reasonable stats to look at, IMO.

* On Vogel, Morway basically stuck to what Bird has said. That they're happy with Vogel's performance, but that they'll do their due diligence in the coaching search. Nevertheless, Vogel remains a strong candidate.

* On a player's character, Morway says that this a very important part of their player evaluation, and that they do extensive background checks including private investigators (which we've heard about with Lance). They also do a lot of personality and psychological testing. That while they try their best to get good guys, sometimes they have to take risks (I guess this is Lance). Not saying though that their risks will always pay off.

Those are the things that seemed interesting to me. Have a listen, and post your own thoughts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Default Re: David Morway interview 21 May

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Says that Bird allows him to run basketball side of things, overseeing draft, free agency, and trades.
    Not sure what to make of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Could it be that "Boomer for adults" is still alive and well?

What is means is that Morway failed to get OJ Mayo.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Some notes:

"Snip"

* On how he works with Bird. Says that Bird allows him to run basketball side of things, overseeing draft, free agency, and trades. Says he talks to some teams, Bird talks to other teams, and then they get together to make decisions. Sounds a bit 2-headed monsterish, but on the other hand it seems to be working.

"End Snip"
    This is sort of the idea I was alluding to when I posted this in the "Bird will stay with Pacers" thread -

There is another side to the way the two can share some duties. Everyone has a different history of contacts, people with whom they have had previous dealings or relationships.

We've all heard the term "We speak the same language.", right? We all know people we can say that about, and others we can not say that about.

With that in mind, it would be easy to imagine Bird saying to Morway "You have a past relationship with team "A"'s GM, so how about you give him a call to gauge his interest in moving "X" player. In the meantime, I'm more familiar with team "B"'s GM, so I'll call him to check on the availability of this other player."

It would only make sense to make the best use of prior relationships in these cases.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Larry's in charge. Morway said Larry listens to him and then they make decisions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Re: David Morway interview 21 May

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    What is means is that Morway failed to get OJ Mayo.
    Speculation, and at that speculation that contradicts what information we actually have on the matter.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=wintermute;1239874]

Says that Bird allows him to run basketball side of things, overseeing draft, free agency, and trades. /QUOTE]

This surprised me. Then I guess why should it, when Carlisle and Harter did the coaching when he was the coach. 5 mil salary to be a delegater. Nice gig if you can get it. No wonder Herb wanted Bird to take a cut in pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Speculation, and at that speculation that contradicts what information we actually have on the matter.
    Anyway you look at it, he is the GM and has admitted that Larry lets him run the trades and draft and such. He did not close the deal for Mayo.

So...

Anyway you look at it, he is the GM and has admitted that Larry lets him run the trades and draft and such. He did not close the deal for Mayo.

So...

graphic-er, you have very selective reading when it fits your purpose.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

So...

You define failure, as it relates to being the general manager, as not concluding a trade you wished to make? I mean on technicality I guess I get it, but usually when someone calls another person a "failure", it's meant to imply that they are bad at what they do or otherwise unfit or something to that extent. As if, had we had a better GM, the Mayo trade would have completed. I don't agree with that at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are we really going to go through all of this again? Didn't we just do this recently?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Besides wasn't the Mayo deal failure in the hands of the Grizz for not submitting it to the league office?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think its more an inability to change or adjust your opinion when getting called out on the validity of it. Honestly. Or attention seeking behavior. One of the two.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Besides wasn't the Mayo deal failure in the hands of the Grizz for not submitting it to the league office?
    Apparently the Mayo trade was exclusively in the hands of David Morway as to whether or not it happened, with no one else playing an equal role in it. I guess.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I see how this could raise a red flag, some of the best managers I know are professional delegators. Who cares who got the job done, so long as it got done.

I disagree that Bird is just sitting around playing NBA Live and smoking Cubans while Morway does all the real GM work. I do, however, think Tom White is onto something

So...
    So . . . you don't know what goes on but that doesn't stop you from loudly proclaiming your opinion does it?

It's been explained to you that our front office wasn't to blame for the Mayo trade not happening, yet you unreasoningly want to place the blame on them anyway.

I think you're just a troll wanting to cause trouble, why else the picture of Morway?

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

I think its more an inability to change or adjust your opinion when getting called out on the validity of it. Honestly. Or attention seeking behavior. One of the two.
    But my opinion is completely valid. Did Morway not just say that Larry lets him oversee the basketball side of things? The draft, FA, Trades? Yes they make decisions together, but Morway executes those decisions. So why would I change or adjust my opinion on this?

Attention seeking behavior....I don't get this. You offered up an open ended statement in your original post. I offered my take on it. Hicks calls me out saying that I got it all wrong, even though back in the retaining Morway thread it was pretty much mutually agreed by everyone that certainly Morway as the GM failed on some level because he had a deal in place and the other party backed out. Thats still a failure, because in that level of business results are what matter. There maybe a million reasons why the trade didn't go thru in the end. But the end result is all the same. OJ Mayo not wearing the Blue and Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    So . . . you don't know what goes on but that doesn't stop you from loudly proclaiming your opinion does it?

It's been explained to you that our front office wasn't to blame for the Mayo trade not happening, yet you unreasoningly want to place the blame on them anyway.

I think you're just a troll wanting to cause trouble, why else the picture of Morway?
    A win is a win and loss is a loss at the end of the day right? No matter who is to blame. End results matter.

Why can't I express my thoughts with pictures when I feel it works? My Avatar to the left here shows my desire to hire Mike Brown. I don't see how that makes me a troll.

But my opinion is completely valid. Did Morway not just say that Larry lets him oversee the basketball side of things? The draft, FA, Trades? Yes they make decisions together, but Morway executes those decisions. So why would I change or adjust my opinion on this?
    No your opinion is not completely valid! You are basing it on the assumption that Bird let Morway oversee the basketball side of things last year.

However one of the things that came out of Bird's new agreement was he was going to let Morway do more. So, you don't know if what you are basing your latest argument on was valid at the time of the draft.

You define failure, as it relates to being the general manager, as not concluding a trade you wished to make? I mean on technicality I guess I get it, but usually when someone calls another person a "failure", it's meant to imply that they are bad at what they do or otherwise unfit or something to that extent. As if, had we had a better GM, the Mayo trade would have completed. I don't agree with that at all.
    So no response to the above?

No response to fact that pretty much everything said after the deadline pointed the finger at either Memphis or New Orleans with regards to why the deal didn't go through?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    No your opinion is not completely valid! You are basing it on the assumption that Bird let Morway oversee the basketball side of things last year.

However one of the things that came out of Bird's new agreement was he was going to let Morway do more. So, you don't know if what you are basing your latest argument on was valid at the time of the draft.
    And to me this isn't even the point. The point is why would anyone ever assume that David Morway (or Larry Bird, if you prefer) was the primary cause for the OJ Mayo trade not going through?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

why would anyone ever assume that David Morway (or Larry Bird, if you prefer) was the primary cause for the OJ Mayo trade not going through?
    Because there always has to be someone to point the finger at if something doesn't go as planned.

A win is a win and loss is a loss at the end of the day right? No matter who is to blame. End results matter.

Why can't I express my thoughts with pictures when I feel it works? My Avatar to the left here shows my desire to hire Mike Brown. I don't see how that makes me a troll.
    Just be thankful Hicks is in charge and not me!

So no response to the above?

No response to fact that pretty much everything said after the deadline pointed the finger at either Memphis or New Orleans with regards to why the deal didn't go through?
    Whatever was said after the deadline doesnot mean its accurate. Why would the Pacers Front office admit to botching a trade? Of course they are going to deflect. Just like Memphis's front office deflected and said the Pacers couldn't get their act together. Didn't the Memphis owner essentially post right when the deal was supposedly accomplished, that he wanted Mayo gone and thought that a change of scenery was needed for him?

Like I said i can only factually base my opinion on the end results. We had a deal in place, deal fell thru. Morway is the GM. The GM executes trades. Morway did not produce OJ Mayo at the trade deadline. Morway failed.
    These are all factual statements.