Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brandon Jennings available?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brandon Jennings available?

can't we just get a distributor here? somebody that doesn't care at all about scoring. Jennings is slightly better than DC, but Brandon strikes me as someone that only wants to put the ball in the basket. not what we need from the PG position.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While Collison's size will always make him a defensive liability, its not the reason he struggles so much right now. His lack of lateral quickness needs to be worked on this off season. I can live with the guy having trouble against bigger PG's. But its the lateral speed that bothers me.

With that said, no thanks to Jennings.
    I agree, but he is to short to guard the Kyle Korvers of the world if a SG needs to cover up for his defense. I hope it improves.

Jennings can create his own shot and thats something we lack badly, but I would rather have that person be a wing and let Collison continue to improve. Collison has a cieling of a championship level PG, Jennings has the potential of a Steve Francis level player who makes allstar games but never does anything in the playoffs.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Here's a visual aid .... yeah .... This is just ugly.

Thats awsome Bullet, just simple awsome.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Taken a look at Hotspots and checking out some of the best players around the league...Danny is really special...wow...he can shoot from anywhere efficiently except, strangely at the top of the key area.

Thx bulletproof for posting the Hotspot...never seen that before.

Banned

It'd be nice if they'd update those NBA Live 08 ads.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Jennings can create his own shot and thats something we lack badly, but I would rather have that person be a wing and let Collison continue to improve. Collison has a cieling of a championship level PG, Jennings has the potential of a Steve Francis level player who makes allstar games but never does anything in the playoffs.
    DC can create his own shot pretty well himself. So it's not like that would be a new quality to our starting PG if we got Jennings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Taking the Celtics five. michealwilliams4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    can't we just get a distributor here? somebody that doesn't care at all about scoring. Jennings is slightly better than DC, but Brandon strikes me as someone that only wants to put the ball in the basket. not what we need from the PG position.
    We need scoring from the PG position right now, at least until we can get a secondary, maybe a third scorer. Collison was the team's second leading scorer, which speaks a lot to how much his points were a necessity. The team did well when he was able to do both, say 15 and 8, but no way we would be a better team simply fielding Mark Jackson in Collison's stead.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Jennings might have had the potential to be something special in his rookie season, but after this season past season, it just became even clearer to me that he's a shoot-first PG who's overrated, who is too arrogant for what he really is as well.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michealwilliams4 View Post
    The team did well when he was able to do both, say 15 and 8, but no way we would be a better team simply fielding Mark Jackson in Collison's stead.
    You can't be serious.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I'd like to pass on this one, please. He's like a very terrible version of Stephen Marbury. His FG was 38 at one point, and he's been pretty stagnant this season. Why mess up something that doesn't need fixing? I think DC will play even better next year. I like our chemistry too, don't break our guys up.

I know that every time I watched Jennings...I was thankful DC was our starter.
    Last edited by Sookie; 05-24-2011 at 12:33 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

Shoot-first PG that only excels at creating bad shots for himself. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    You can't be serious.
    With this roster? Who's going to score if you replace Collison with Jackson if your second leading scorer is Collison and he wasn't even a reliable scorer? It's not like the entire reason Hibbert averaged under 13 was because his PG didn't get him the ball enough.

I love Jackson, but I don't see how he, or any distributing PG, solves the root problem of not having any scorers. Plugging him in didn't solve anything in 96-97. Sure we'd win some of the games we lost when Collison couldn't get five points, but I see it all even out over an 82-game season. We're still going to lose some of the games we won when Collison got into the high teens.

I don't see how it's a stretch that even though Jackson is a better player than Collison, I don't see him being a good fit for this team.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by michealwilliams4 View Post
    With this roster? Who's going to score if you replace Collison with Jackson if your second leading scorer is Collison and he wasn't even a reliable scorer? It's not like the entire reason Hibbert averaged under 13 was because his PG didn't get him the ball enough.

I love Jackson, but I don't see how he, or any distributing PG, solves the root problem of not having any scorers. Plugging him in didn't solve anything in 96-97. Sure we'd win some of the games we lost when Collison couldn't get five points, but I see it all even out over an 82-game season. We're still going to lose some of the games we won when Collison got into the high teens.

I don't see how it's a stretch that even though Jackson is a better player than Collison, I don't see him being a good fit for this team.
    You don't think a brilliant passer with a brain who is a floor general, resulting in less wasted possessions, the ball getting where it needs to go when it needs to get there, more assists, and more easy buckets wouldn't help our offense?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

A true point guard, which you can count on one hand these days, makes EVERYONE better. Really who is a true pure Point Guard anymore?

Steve Nash
    Chris Paul
    Rondo
    Jason Kidd (although greatly diminished now)

Probably
    Deron Williams

Who else?

Its a very rare commodity.

I think its a mindset, type of person as much as skills.

You have to

1.) See the play two ticks before it happens and set it up to come to fruition.

2.) like to make the assist more than score, intrinsically.

For #1, its a special special skill, you have to recognize the situation, assess the advantage, then exploit the situation/advantage or you have to move the defense or the defender with your subtle actions. All in less than 2 seconds.

I remember a story when Magic when he first came in the league was hitting guys in the back of the head with passes because he saw the play when his teammate still didn't know what was going on. After several passes to the back of the head, they started gaining better recognition. A pass first Point Guard/player is a pretty big deal.

THIS is why Rubio is soooooo intriguing to me.

Edit: I guess #3 should say completely selfless; meaning only caring about getting your team a bucket, not who or how they score it. #4 would be leadership, willing to tell guys or direct guys on where to be and how to maximize what happens on the court. Also, leadership in understanding if Joe Blow hasn't touched the ball the last 3 times down, we may want to involve him in someway to keep him engaged fully on defense (and identifying who needs this type of attention), leadership/selflessness means the trust of your players too, that you have the teams interest in mind, not some other agenda.
    Last edited by Speed; 05-24-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    A true point guard, which you can count on one hand these days, makes EVERYONE better. Really who is a true pure Point Guard anymore?

Steve Nash
    Chris Paul
    Rondo
    Jason Kidd (although greatly diminished now)

Probably
    Deron Williams

Who else?

Its a very rare commodity.
    Andre Miller, Billups, Calderon, Hinrich maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Ya, I thought about some of these guys. Good list of maybes, I think.

Andre Miller Borderline, I was a big Andre Miller guy because I thought he was this guy early in his career, but in Portland he looks different to me.

Billups is a shadow of himself to me, but I see the understanding there for sure for him.

Calderon is somewhat but not to the degree you'd want, also he's such detriment to other parts of the game, its tough.

I'd disagree on Hinrich, he's defensively selfless in a point guard way, but I don't see him as a Pass first/make guys better point guard.

I guess Pass first is kind of a misnomer, in my mind. I mean guys who make players around them significantly better by being pass first and all that goes with the 2 things I listed before.

Larry Bird fit this category and he wasn't a point guard in any way. Larry was one of the best passing/make-guys-around-you-better players maybe of all time, imo.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm completely stunned that there is anyone (albeit surely only one) that thinks we would not be a noticeably better basketball team with Mark Jackson in place of Darren Collison.

He only averaged 13 points a game! That scoring could be made up.

Not to mention, Jackson actually scored more and did so at a higher efficiency than Collison when you compare their 2nd NBA seasons.

But even washed up, 35 year old Mark Jackson was better than Collison. Sure he only averaged 8 points per game. He also averaged 8 assists. He directly contributed to at least 24 points per game. Collison? 13 and 5. He directly contributed to 23 a game.

This doesn't even account for all the other things a team orientated passing player brings.

I'm flabbergasted.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Here's a visual aid .... yeah .... This is just ugly.

It really says something when you manage to shoot less than 40% on layups.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Billups has never been a pure point guard.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You don't think a brilliant passer with a brain who is a floor general, resulting in less wasted possessions, the ball getting where it needs to go when it needs to get there, more assists, and more easy buckets wouldn't help our offense?
    I don't think it'd contribute greatly over an 82-game season with this current roster is all. There's no doubt it would help the offense, but I think there'd be nights where we'd still fall short due to lack of scorers. Collison won us games that Jackson could not just as Jackson would win us games Collison could not. Would we win more? I'd buy into that. Significantly more? I do not see it.

I just don't think offensive struggles, especially in regards to Roy, Tyler, and Mike, had entirely to do with the set up Collison was giving them. You can only do so much as a PG before the job to scoring falls on the player with the ball. The Pacers were too streaky over 87 games for me to think it's a problem easily solved simply by upgrading setups and court vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Billups has never been a pure point guard.
    Neither has Hinrich.