Thread: Clutch-o-meter based on our Bull playoffs series

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Clutch-o-meter based on our Bull playoffs series

I'm going to rate all our players on the clutch-o-meter scale based on our recent playoff performance.

Mainly, I want to promote discussion, but also I want to remind myself how well Granger did, because I am pretty darn open to trading him away for some pieces, but that may need to be reconsidered. Also, I have been a huge Roy supporter from the beginning, believing that he would grow into greatness as the challenges emerged. The playoffs has me reconsidering Roy.

Anyway, the great ones in all sports rise to the occasion. Think Tiger Woods. That's who you really want on your team, and it needs to be emphasized as much or more than the stats and performances in the regular season (although the last five minutes of regular season games is also a pretty good indicator).

Here goes for the Clutch-o-meter: (10 highest—0 worst)

Collison: 5
    (Had some moments and some bad moments)

Price: 7
    (This is one of his best qualities, but the rest of his performance has been so bad I don't know if this can bail him out.)

George: 8
    (He got better as the challenges came his way)

Granger: 9
    (Though one-dimensional, inconsistent on defense and apparently not a leader, he IS pretty darn clutch. He gets better with pressure, imo)

Dahntay: 8
    (I like him down the stretch)

Rush: 3
    (I find him terrible down the stretch. He did have a nice game-ending dunk this year. Who can forget him stepping across the line on an inbound pass?)

McRoberts: 4
    (I'm a McBob fan, but clutch he seemed not in this playoff)

Tyler: 6
    (He had a couple of moments, and several during the regular season final minutes. But the jury is still out.)

Roy: 3
    (Hate to say it. The brutal truth. He has not risen to the occasion very often.)

Foster: 8
    (Not a nine, only because his non-offense makes him a liability sometimes down the stretch. But he was great this series, and even hit some big free throws in the final minutes.)

Dunleavy: 4
    (He just didn't show up in the playoffs.)

TJ Ford: 7
    (He's got all kinds of problems, but he has in fact performed well down the stretch at times.)

Posey: 5
    (In his career, yeah. For us, once or twice he's hit a shot but mostly not.)
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 05-22-2011 at 08:53 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Clutch-o-meter based on our Bull playoffs series

So, from best to worst:

Granger: 9
    Foster: 8
    George: 8
    Dahntay: 8
    Price: 7
    T.J.: 7
    Tyler: 6
    Collison: 5
    Posey: 5
    McRoberts: 4
    Dunleavy: 4
    Roy: 3
    Rush: 3

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

so we blow late leads in 3 games and yet our "best" player is rated a 9 in your ranking? think to yourself why we blew those leads (lack of leadership, no scoring, turnovers) and then redo your rankings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Why now? We got eliminated a while ago. Anyway...

Granger closed the only game we won with his free throws, and played good offense against one of the best defenders in the league. He made some serious clutch shots in games 2 & 3 as well. Average defense and missed a game winner, but I'm still very pleased with him. 8.

George played good defense, his hustle was there, I can't say it has been "Amazing" but overall he came to play. 7.

Foster played good. AJ played way better than I thought he'd play. He made some HUGE threes. And DC, other than Granger, was the closest thing we had to consistency (Though he played kinda bad after the injury.. can't blame him). I give them 7.

Tyler had one great game, but a pretty bad series. Pretty much reflects his season. I give him 6, because he played good defense on Boozer.

Jones, Ford, Rush- Played well when they did but I don't think they've played all that much, which means they didn't really affect the game. 5.

Dunleavy- Just bad. I really thought he's sort of a Korver type of guy. He didn't provide the spark we needed. 4.

Roy - Looked soft, got owned by Noah and the rest of their bigs. Had maybe 2-3 good quarters the whole series. 3.

Mcroberts - Bad offense, bad defense, bad rebounding. 3.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

It feels like you're rating their playoff performances based on your expectations, not really clutchness. I don't think any of our players deserve to be call clutch. If the question is who didn't cower in the face of playoff pressure/who can you "go to war with" your ratings are pretty much on.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so we blow late leads in 3 games and yet our "best" player is rated a 9 in your ranking? think to yourself why we blew those leads (lack of leadership, no scoring, turnovers) and then redo your rankings.
    Because Danny keeping the team alive in the 4th in game 3 wasn't clutch at all. The reason we lost it at the end of games is because this team is young and not as good as the Bulls. Danny was damn good and clutch in this series. When other players are turning the ball over, how can you blame this on Danny?

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yea, seriously, we lack clutchness top to bottom. I would say only a couple of points separate Granger vs. Rush, or Hibs or whoever. If anyone on our team was clutch, we would have won the series instead of blowing game after game, and nearly blowing the one we won. In fact, Granger's one weakness that keeps him from an elite or allstar level is that fact he isn't clutch.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

This is based on clutchness, specifically how clutch they were in the Bulls series. This does not reflect their overall performance.

Price: 9 He may have been up and down, but when the team needed a clutch player he always made it.

Granger: 7 There are times when he seems to be clutch, then there are times when he doesn't.

George: 6
    Dahntay: 6
    Rush: 6 All of these guys came up clutch on the defensive end during the first 3 quarters.

Foster: 5
    T.J.: 5
    Tyler: 5
    Collison: 5 All of these guys have their moments, but they aren't guys I want the plays to be based around.

Roy: 4
    McRoberts: 4 Neither seemed particularly clutch, but neither were really put in a clutch situation

Dunleavy: 2 bleh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AJ Price is Derrick Fisher-esque.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How can you remember Rush stepping across the line on an in bounds pass this year, but completely forget Dahntay failing to get the ball in play within the 5 second rule at the end of a game?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I really thought Tyler was clutch in several games this year at the end of the season. It was really noticeable to me, others seem to shy away from it and he made several plays in the 4th. Nothing maybe in the Bulls series but I bet 5 or 6 at least in the Vogel era. He never played afraid, imo. I think we'll see more of it next year.

I also think DC showed the mindset or willingness to take a big shot, he just didn't hit that many. I could see both improving on this with experience. In fact, I'd call the DC/Tyler Pick and Pop/roll option 1B moving forward to Danny isolating on the left wing.
    Last edited by Speed; 05-23-2011 at 04:31 PM.

I think Tyler is very clutch. I think when he doesn't have a good game, he simply didn't/couldn't play well that night. I don't think nerves or choking or not being clutch have anything to do with his poor games. The dude is fearless. Class case of a guy who you look at and think "If only he could do or had this or that..."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    How can you remember Rush stepping across the line on an in bounds pass this year, but completely forget Dahntay failing to get the ball in play within the 5 second rule at the end of a game?
    Did you mean that time when they applied the 8 second rule to get the ball in play?
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Cause I want to?

More seriously, one is more of a forced error. Rush's was very unforced.