Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

Default Re: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

I personally don't think ATL would want Granger.

Between DG & JJ that is a lot of money tied up in the SF spot.

Not to mention what they need a Center not another SF

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chandler & Smith combo gives us a defensive boost. George is a good defender. Granger can be a good defender. Rush & Jones & hopefully Foster are also great defensive options off the bench. Which makes us... a tough defensive team!
    We still need that "create his own shot SG" type of guy though... but at least we're improving. Smith and a better George and DC should be enough (though not optimal) offensive support for Danny.
    Cuban is not going to let Chandler go...and my guess is that short of getting a way overpaid contract offer by the Pacesr.....Chandler would take a less contract to stay in Dallas given the huge Playoff run that they have made.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I haven't read a single comment but I bet a shiny buffalo nickel someone has mentioned trading Danny for Josh Smith.

Edit: Welp I guess i lost out on a nickel.
    Last edited by LA_Confidential; 05-21-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Douchery.

I don't see much point in trading for Smith. I cannot see a serious scenario where the Pacers come out better for it, only worse.

I'm on record as wanting Kaman because I think he's attainable. However, I'd like JSmith more. Therefore, three-way?

(LAC) C Kaman --> (ATL) J Smith --> (IND) ??? --> (LAC)

So what would the Clips want for Kaman?

I'm not interested in Smith unless we can first sign Nene.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I am not interested in Smith as long as we have Granger. Smith is not a real 4. He is a wing. Or at least he insists on playing on the wing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    Id be much happier with a Hibbert/Nene front court than I would be with Nene/Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Id be much happier with a Hibbert/Nene front court than I would be with Nene/Smith.
    I'm not sure I will ever understand the fascination with Nene Hilario.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    I'm on record as wanting Kaman because I think he's attainable. However, I'd like JSmith more. Therefore, three-way?

(LAC) C Kaman --> (ATL) J Smith --> (IND) ??? --> (LAC)

So what would the Clips want for Kaman?
    Would they be interested in picks and instant cap space? If so, you could offer our '11 and '13 firsts to absorb his salary, to then trade him to ATL for Smith.

I want to think that's allowable. Well, after June 30th it would be if there wasn't a lockout, but that throws a major wrench into things. Remember Rasheed Wallace wasn't traded from Portland to Detroit, he was traded to Atlanta, and THEY traded him to Detroit after he played a single game in a Hawks uniform. So you can turnaround and trade your acquisition that fast. I think as long as it's just the one player alone.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Chandler & Smith combo gives us a defensive boost. George is a good defender. Granger can be a good defender. Rush & Jones & hopefully Foster are also great defensive options off the bench. Which makes us... a tough defensive team!
    We still need that "create his own shot SG" type of guy though... but at least we're improving. Smith and a better George and DC should be enough (though not optimal) offensive support for Danny.
    A problem may be if Smith thinks Granger should be his support, and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    I'm not sure I will ever understand the fascination with Nene Hilario.
    He's rugged, can score and with this team he would automatically be our "enforcer". Although his rebounding numbers aren't stellar, he's more than capable. He'd bring an extra added toughness to our frontline offensively and defensively. He'd be our starting 4 and our primary backup at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    He's rugged, can score and with this team he would automatically be our "enforcer". Although his rebounding numbers aren't stellar, he's more than capable. He'd bring an extra added toughness to our frontline offensively and defensively. He'd be our starting 4 and our primary backup at the 5.
    Don't get me wrong, I think he is a nice player and his inside scoring would be very helpful. With that said, I don't think he is worth anywhere near the contract numbers being tossed around here, and he brings neither rebounding, defense, nor shot blocking that we really need down low right now.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    A problem may be if Smith thinks Granger should be his support, and not the other way around.
    Could be, the article posted here also mentioned his shot selection, but I don't think it'll be the case.

Wage:
    I kinda agree about Nene. He's not that great, but he's good all-around. I also think he's a lot better than Roy.
    The thing about Nene is that he's efficient. I think he led the league in FG% (61.5%), Last year he got to the line almost as much as Granger (Nene 5.4 attempts per game, Granger 5.9). 14.5 ppg in 8.7 attempts is sweet.

Chandler & Smith combo means awesome inside defense, Nene & Smith means decent inside offense. How does that not improve us?
    Anyway, I don't think Smith's really available. I sure hope so, and we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If we could get a Starting quality Center that can block shots to add to JSmoove, I would happily move Hibbert to get him in the 1st place. I remember that I've read a SI article about some shotblocker and they said that the one common trait that MOST Championship Caliber Team were able to control the paint with shotblockers ( see what the Mavericks did with Chandler and Haywood ).
    Dalembert?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I think is funny that the same people that give guys like Lance and Beasley s*** are the same people that want JS as part of the Pacers

Oh well, at least he is a veteran and because of that he could bring his leadership to this team.................

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think is funny that the same people that give guys like Lance and Beasley s*** are the same people that want JS as part of the Pacers

Oh well, at least he is a veteran and because of that he could bring his leadership to this team.................
    How many people are actually saying they want Smith and give Lance and Beasley crap? Also, Smith hasn't been as bad as either of those guys. And he is a far more accomplished player.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I am not interested in Smith as long as we have Granger. Smith is not a real 4. He is a wing. Or at least he insists on playing on the wing.
    Nor am I, really. We need some more quality bigmen more than Smith.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    How many people are actually saying they want Smith and give Lance and Beasley crap? Also, Smith hasn't been as bad as either of those guys. And he is a far more accomplished player.
    If Lance got crucified by many here for having some issues with his teammates, how you think people would react to JS if they get to see articles like this one were he is having issues with his coach? (former coach and now with his new coach)

Josh Smith and Mike Woodson have issues
    There were rumors in the past that Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith and coach Mike Woodson have a bit of a problem. Nothing crazy, but things flare up every now and then. That’s become clear recently, especially Friday in Charlotte.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (Sekou Smith) reports:

And Hawks coach Mike Woodson benched starting power forward Josh Smith after halftime, the result of a heated disagreement between the two in the locker room during the break. Smith refused to comment after the game, and Woodson said it was a “coach’s decision” and that Smith’s status for tonight’s game against Detroit would be determined later. “That was coach’s call,” Hawks captain Joe Johnson said. “This is coach’s team. Whoever he wants to play plays, and if he doesn’t want you to play, you don’t play.” … “Josh played well in the first half,” Mo Evans said. “It didn’t have nothing to do with his basketball playing abilities. It’s the off-the-court, internal stuff that causes all the drama.”

I agree with wage! All this nene hype is a little too much. Plus u gotta realize that chance of one him leaving and two us attaining him and three maintaining him after collison contract renewal and the constant need to fill the roster. U get what u can and that's why u get a Thompson, Jordan, or ideally vet like anderson to hold on to the spot until u can find someone better and keep ur salary cap low enough to make a necessary trade etc. Some might say

These guys are young and unproven
    -so was Roy

They are not star quality starters
    - there's not to many of them floating around, at least easily attainable ones

Plus we are more than likely gonna re sign foster so we won't be too bad on vet play. This is not the definite home run option but it's definitely a base hit. Some say well this is the year that we make our name in fa and become contenders...says who. Show me where that is written and I'll believe u. Look at the spurs bulls and thunder patience and smart consistent fo moves have gotten them to wear they are now. We have to be patient.

I want Josh Smith here, and give Lance crap, but they're not even close to the same thing.

What the hell do they even have to do with each other? Josh Smith is nothing like Lance on or off the court. He's not in trouble with the law, and he also contributes to his teams success. Lance has problems avoiding the former, and hasn't accomplished the latter.

No idea what they have to do with each other in any way at all.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

Yep "Lance is a locker room cancer" but JS is not the same thing

Might Hawks Josh Smith cost coach Larry Drew his job?
    Kurt Helin
    Apr 9, 2011, 11:22 PM EDT
    8 Comments The Atlanta Hawks got their heads handed to them Saturday night by the Washington Wizards. A 32-point beatdown. That would be loss number four in a row. They are stumbling toward the playoffs, and this is not a team anybody has seen flip the switch.

The last two of those losses were without Josh Smith — but he is still the story.

Larry Drew is on the hot seat for the Hawks — this team has taken a step backwards this season — but the bigger problem is that he may have lost the locker room because he could not control Smoove, Sam Amick reports at Sports Illustrated.And then there is the not-so-obvious sensitive spot: the Josh Smith factor. Drew has been unable to stop the veteran from being a season-long disruption and undermining his position with his other players in the process. Add to that the relative affordability of cutting him loose (he’s owed $1.5 million for next season, lockout notwithstanding), and Drew is looking very vulnerable unless he can lead a deep postseason run.
    Where is the veteran leadership on this team? Either Joe Johnson has no faith in Drew either or he didn’t have enough backbone to stand up to Smith and tell him to get in line.

The Hawks defense this season was exactly the same as last season statistically — they gave up 106.7 points per 100 possessions both times.

But Drew came in promising more ball movement in the offense, no more iso-Joe, and the team never seemed to buy into it. That or they were incapable of executing it (meaning they are unwilling or incapable passers). Either way, the offense went from 111.9 points per 100 possessions last season (second best in the league) to 106.5 this season. The results are 44 wins (and they should probably not have that many), which is down from 53 last season.

Drew is and should be in some hot water. Drew and Hawks fans can dream that a healthy Jason Collins can body up Dwight Howard and lead the Hawks to a first-round upset of the Magic. And that winning cures all ills. But that seems about as likely as getting the Golden Ticket to visit the Wonka factory.

If Smoove is a locker room problem, the issues in Atlanta are running deeper than Drew or no Drew and will be much harder to fix than management may realize. Especially in an organization known for over-valuing what they have.

Again I ask, how many people here are giving Lance crap and what Smith?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Again I ask, how many people here are giving Lance crap and what Smith?
    Me.

I do think if we made a move for Smith that I would then prefer a veteran head coach over Vogel. I think someone like Mike Brown would have much better luck guiding Smith than an (essentially) rookie head coach like Vogel.

Edit: I don't really get involved in the Lance melodrama, but I don't really like him anymore and wouldn't be upset at all if we cut ties with him. Josh Smith and Lance are not the same though. Smith isn't a wildly immature young guy who thinks he is the best player in the league and gets into legal trouble on and off the court. He is a mercurial player with a reputed attitude problem who needs a change of scenery.
    Last edited by cdash; 05-22-2011 at 01:21 AM.