Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

Default Re: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless of his weight, he played both positions.
    Thats not what I was getting at. We know he can play both positions. But can he play them both well?

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like turtles!

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Last edited by ECKrueger; 05-24-2011 at 12:43 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Thats not what I was getting at. We know he can play both positions. But can he play them both well?
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...9/emeka-okafor

He's been averaging a double-double, since he's been in the league minus his two seasons at New Orleans. Even then, he was averaging 9 RPG. The same can't be said for Nene.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...9/emeka-okafor

He's been averaging a double-double, since he's been in the league minus his two seasons at New Orleans. Even then, he was averaging 9 RPG. The same can't be said for Nene.
    Again, this doesnt answer the guys question about whether he can play the PF position now. I am not saying he cant. I just dont know. He is a quality big man but is he mroe suited for the Center position or Power Forward. Since he plays Center now, the argument has to be made for him making the transition to PF. I would like to hear someone explain how they know he can do this. If I can be convinced of that, I say go get him!

Again, this doesnt answer the guys question about whether he can play the PF position now. I am not saying he cant. I just dont know. He is a quality big man but is he mroe suited for the Center position or Power Forward. Since he plays Center now, the argument has to be made for him making the transition to PF. I would like to hear someone explain how they know he can do this. If I can be convinced of that, I say go get him!
    Your questions is almost like asking if Tim Duncan can PF after playing C for 2-3 seasons. It's like someone else stated, Emeka is a 4 playing the 5.

Is 255lbs (ha ha) kind of big for a 4? If he lost some weight he could be a really good 4/5 combo. I would not imagine him trying to guard Tyler any more than Tyler trying to guard him.
    Dale Davis was 6'11" 252lbs
    Antonio Davis 6'9" 250lbs

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    And Antonio Davis is an good example of a PF who played C (Tornoto/Chicago/New York), and has Emeka's body type.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    Both Davis boys were much more athletic than Emeka! Especially AD.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Biyombe is available at 15, do we keep him or flip him to the Hawks for Josh Smith? Would Atl have interest in Nikola Vucecic at 15?
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 05-24-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Guys, ask any Hornets fan, Okafor's not a 4. He's not fast enough. Have you watched any Hornets games over the last couple years? Here's a Hornets version of Pacers Digest discussing Okafor last year in a thread titled "How Would Okafor Do at PF?":

http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForum...2&page=1&pp=25

Some highlights:

"Okafor's main position was never PF. He simply can't play the position especially in today's league where a pick and pop stretch four is vital. He also isn't anywhere near athletic and quick enough to defend 4s. His ideal situation would be one with a long 4 that plays on the perimeter and allows him to clean up in an offense that doesn't utilize the screen and roll very much."

"Okafor to me would be terrible at PF. Like has been stated here he has no offensive ability at all. Most of the great PFs in the NBA have a decent mid range jumper these days, and I don't see Okafor going out to defend that."

"Okafor would be a terrible PF. He has no offensive game, and limited athleticism."

"10 points, 8 rebounds a game, blowing up against terrible teams and getting owned against good ones. This is what I expect from him. Oh, and minimal defense."

"Chokafor."

These guys have seen Okafor as much as we've seen our players, so I trust their opinion. The idea that Okafor is a 4 playing out of position at the 5 is insane. MAYBE he could spell the 4 for a few minutes a game, but he could not play there regularly. So if you want a 3 year/$40 million backup for Roy, sure trade for Okafor.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Guys, ask any Hornets fan, Okafor's not a 4. He's not fast enough. Have you watched any Hornets games over the last couple years? Here's a Hornets version of Pacers Digest discussing Okafor last year in a thread titled "How Would Okafor Do at PF?":

http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForum...2&page=1&pp=25

Some highlights:

"Okafor's main position was never PF. He simply can't play the position especially in today's league where a pick and pop stretch four is vital. He also isn't anywhere near athletic and quick enough to defend 4s. His ideal situation would be one with a long 4 that plays on the perimeter and allows him to clean up in an offense that doesn't utilize the screen and roll very much."

"Okafor to me would be terrible at PF. Like has been stated here he has no offensive ability at all. Most of the great PFs in the NBA have a decent mid range jumper these days, and I don't see Okafor going out to defend that."

"Okafor would be a terrible PF. He has no offensive game, and limited athleticism."

"10 points, 8 rebounds a game, blowing up against terrible teams and getting owned against good ones. This is what I expect from him. Oh, and minimal defense."

"Chokafor."

These guys have seen Okafor as much as we've seen our players, so I trust their opinion. The idea that Okafor is a 4 playing out of position at the 5 is insane. MAYBE he could spell the 4 for a few minutes a game, but he could not play there regularly. So if you want a 3 year/$40 million backup for Roy, sure trade for Okafor.
    And according to Pacers Digest, TJ Ford is the worst PG to ever to put on a Pacers uniform, Paul George is a bonafide superstar, Gordon will take the Pacers to the Finals, and JO was the reason why we couldn't achieve greatness.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And according to Pacers Digest, TJ Ford is the worst PG to ever to put on a Pacers uniform, Paul George is a bonafide superstar, Gordon will take the Pacers to the Finals, and JO was the reason why we couldn't achieve greatness.
    I think saying that Okafor is not a 4 is considerably less dramatic than all those things you said. You don't have to venture to a Hornets messageboard to find that to be the prevailing thought either.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Yeah... we're not getting Okafor.

About Smith:
    I've been thinking about it for some time, and I think adding him to our core group could really improve us.
    First and most important, it would secure our spot in the playoffs next year (Which I didn't take for granted at all!).
    Second, Hibbert & Smith could give us really good inside defense. And if Hibbert gets a bit tougher this offseason, we could finally control the rebounds - something we lacked on the Chicago series.
    Third(ly?), while he's no scorer, he'd probably our true #2 offensive option next to Granger (something we didn't really have. Who's our true #2 scorer? Roy? DC? Tyler?)

Now the hard part is adding him to our core group. His salary is quite high, but his contract isn't long and I don't think he's overpaid, so cap relief won't be enough. His trade value isn't low either, Atlanta doesn't want to get rid of him, they want to trade him for a piece that makes them better (In their case, they need a center so Horford could move to his true PF spot)
    So like someone here mentioned, we need a 3rd team. I was thinking about the Clippers or Utah, because they both have centers and are sort of rebuilding. So after playing around with it:

We trade: #15 Pick, 2013 first round pick, Posey
    We Recieve: Josh Smith, Zaza Pachulia

Hawks trade: Smith, Zaza..
    Recieve: Kaman+2013 pick

Clippers trade: Kaman
    Recieve: #15 + Posey

If we trade with Utah, we're giving Atlanta Al Jefferson. In that case, since he's better than Kaman, Utah will recieve both picks and maybe a guy like Rush.
    I view Zaza as slight cap relief, but also as a guy who could help us. If this somehow makes Atlanta get a better package, we throw him out.

Not sure why the Clippers wouldn't just trade Kaman for Josh Smith, and play him at the 3?

Yeah you can say he's a PF, but Clips need a SF, and I would rather gamble on Smith being a SF instead of #15 and Posey

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Yeah... we're not getting Okafor.

About Smith:
    I've been thinking about it for some time, and I think adding him to our core group could really improve us.
    First and most important, it would secure our spot in the playoffs next year (Which I didn't take for granted at all!).
    Second, Hibbert & Smith could give us really good inside defense. And if Hibbert gets a bit tougher this offseason, we could finally control the rebounds - something we lacked on the Chicago series.
    Third(ly?), while he's no scorer, he'd probably our true #2 offensive option next to Granger (something we didn't really have. Who's our true #2 scorer? Roy? DC? Tyler?)

Now the hard part is adding him to our core group. His salary is quite high, but his contract isn't long and I don't think he's overpaid, so cap relief won't be enough. His trade value isn't low either, Atlanta doesn't want to get rid of him, they want to trade him for a piece that makes them better (In their case, they need a center so Horford could move to his true PF spot)
    So like someone here mentioned, we need a 3rd team. I was thinking about the Clippers or Utah, because they both have centers and are sort of rebuilding. So after playing around with it:

We trade: #15 Pick, 2013 first round pick, Posey
    We Recieve: Josh Smith, Zaza Pachulia

Hawks trade: Smith, Zaza..
    Recieve: Kaman+2013 pick

Clippers trade: Kaman
    Recieve: #15 + Posey

If we trade with Utah, we're giving Atlanta Al Jefferson. In that case, since he's better than Kaman, Utah will recieve both picks and maybe a guy like Rush.
    I view Zaza as slight cap relief, but also as a guy who could help us. If this somehow makes Atlanta get a better package, we throw him out.
    "Like"! Yes please. Josh's athleticism and defense is exactly what we need. He is still young and can improve on his shot selection and scoring, but for pure defense alone this guy is great.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Not sure why the Clippers wouldn't just trade Kaman for Josh Smith, and play him at the 3?

Yeah you can say he's a PF, but Clips need a SF, and I would rather gamble on Smith being a SF instead of #15 and Posey
    If they want to try and "win now", they shouldn't take this trade. I just don't think they're there yet. Gordon, Blake, Aminu, Bledsoe... they pretty much still need to mature
    Anyway, that's why I also mentioned Utah, who are having a pretty jammed frontcourt with Millsap, Jefferson and Favors. Jefferson is the oldest and highest paid of these guys, so he'll probably the guy who gets traded in case they plan on rebuilding