Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl...medium=twitter

For seven seasons, Josh Smith has shown us that he can be the best player on the floor. For seven seasons, he has shown us that he can be the worst player on the floor. The fact these opposites often appear in the same game is what makes him so maddening.

This is why after seven seasons, it’s time to say goodbye.

Smith is not the biggest problem on the Hawks’ roster, he’s merely the greatest lightning rod for criticism. He’s not the player who has crippled the payroll and just followed the richest contract in NBA history — $123,658,089 — with his least-productive season. That would be Joe Johnson.

For as much as Smith is hammered for launching three-point shots, he had a better shooting percentage from three-range this season (33.1 percent) than Johnson (29.7). Johnson battled some injuries (elbow, thumb). But so did Smith (knee), and he’s not supposed to be a three-point shooter. So who should we scream louder about?

Here’s the problem: Smith clearly is getting fed up as the Hawks’ player who’s constantly being duct-taped to a post in the middle of the town square.

I spoke to him the day following one bad shooting performance in the playoffs and he said, “I know sometimes I take shots I shouldn’t. But I’m not the only one in here who takes bad shots. I just get talked about more than anybody else.”

There is some truth to that. There’s also some truth to the fact that some of coach Larry Drew’s offensive sets leave Smith out in the corner, away from the basket, although that doesn’t mean he has to shoot from out there.

Smith’s slow boil continued when Drew called him out following a poor performance in Game 2 of the Chicago playoff series. (“I want him flying all over the place. I don’t want him sitting out there just shooting jump shots and trying to make plays off the dribble.”)

Then, following his phenomenal Game 4 performance against the Bulls (23 points, 16 rebounds, eight assists, two blocks, one steal), Smith seized the moment.

“The media is trying to ‘T.O.’ me,” he said, referencing NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens, a frequent target of blame.

He called his relationship with fans “a love-hate thing.” There’s no reason to believe that’s going to change.

The Hawks might finally be willing to trade Smith. But equally important is that Smith may actually welcome a trade. He needs a fresh start, with a new organization, new teammates and new fans – all some place far away from his hometown.

For as much as Smith is criticized, he is not a bad guy. He’s a good guy. He wants to succeed. He wants to be accepted and appreciated as much as anybody — if not more so, because he’s from Atlanta.

We get on the Hawks for sometimes looking like they just don’t care. That generally isn’t the problem with Smith. It’s more about him going after solutions in the wrong way.

The risk of trading Smith is that he finally turns into that consistent game-changer we’ve envisioned since his rookie season. The downside to not trading him now is if he doesn’t become that soon, his value on the trade market will plummet.

Hawks general manager Rick Sund wanted to give the core of this team one more chance to show what it can do. There was improvement this postseason – upsetting Orlando and taking Chicago to six games without their starting point guard – but this probably is as far as this unit can go.

Johnson can’t be traded because of his contract. Al Horford won’t be traded because he’s the team’s most consistent player. Jeff Teague suddenly shows promise. That leaves Smith as the only player who other teams really want. They see great potential without a long-term commitment (two years left on his contract).

Dealing Smith gives the Hawks a chance to acquire a legitimate starting center. Teague’s ascent opens the possibility of including Kirk Hinrich and his expiring $8.1 million contract in the trade.

There are options. But after seven years, Smith’s exit would be beneficial for both parties.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jeff Schultz Hawks and Josh Smith may have had enough of each other

Call 'em up, Larry!!!!

Let the Danny Granger for Josh Smith trade posts begin.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sounds like it would come down to a deal surrounding Hibbert since the Hawks want a center. They want to slide Horford to the PF spot anyways.

Something Pacers may think about if they can acquire a Nene

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally I say lets go after Smith to be our PF and keep Danny.

Dream Summer get Mayo or Iguduala and Smith to play along side Danny. Paul George in running for 6th man of the year.

If we would have to include Roy in a Smith trade would we do it?

That is the real debate to me.

Trade Roy and sign Nene or Oden to play along side Smith wouldn't be to bad.

Sports Logo

Whether we offer up Hibbert in any trade for Josh Smith is purely based off of whether we trade or sign a Starting quality Center to replace Hibbert in the first Place.

Trading Hibbert isn't a "no-go" for me.....not having a quality Starting Center at the beginning of the season is a "no go" for me.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Which makes absolutely no sense from any angle, but you know they are coming.

They could sign Nene and then trade him for Josh Smith, couldn't they? That makes the most sense to me since the Hawks can't sign him and he'd be great next to Horford.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Sounds like it would come down to a deal surrounding Hibbert since the Hawks want a center. They want to slide Horford to the PF spot anyways.

Something Pacers may think about if they can acquire a Nene
    That's kind of the Catch-22 of this whole thing. The reason Josh Smith would be such a great fit here is because he is an excellent complement to Roy Hibbert. If we have to trade Roy Hibbert to get him here, he suddenly becomes less attractive to our team.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I personally want no part of Smith. He is super talented, but I don't think he is very bright and a potential locker room issue waiting to happen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

If we can get him without giving up Hibbert, Hans, Danny, DC or Paul I'm all for it. He's not worth losing anyone from our core, but he makes our core a lot better and fits in really well with us.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I personally want no part of Smith. He is super talented, but I don't think he is very bright and a potential locker room issue waiting to happen.
    Given what I have read of him, this is a concern as well for me. However, you have to wonder whether stepping into a more prominent 2nd/1st scoring option on the Team would ( as opposed to the previous role he had on the Hawks where he was one of 3 or 4 that was relied upon to score ) mature him more.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I will say this: A Josh Smith package interests me a lot more than the Minnesota rumor.

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Given what I have read of him, this is a concern as well for me. However, you have to wonder whether stepping into a more prominent 2nd/1st scoring option on the Team would ( as opposed to the previous role he had on the Hawks where he was one of 3 or 4 that was relied upon to score ) mature him more.
    That is my concern. I believe that is how he views himself. But he just doesn't have the ability to deliver in that role, IMO.

Sports Logo

Hawks need a C so they can slide Horford to his true PF spot, and have been looking for a point guard for some time (though they might be ok with Hinrich/Teague)

Doing a Hibbert-Smith swap is good value for us, but our frontcourt will only get serious once we get a decent center like T.Chandler, Marc Gasol or Nene. Problem is, it'll blow all our cap space. Smith gets 12.4m next year. If we sign one of the centers above, they'll need around the 10m-13m/year type of salary, which puts us around 55m-58m (which might be bad with the new CBA)

Collison/Price
    George/Rush
    Granger/Jones
    Smith/Tyler
    (Center)/Foster

That's a good team, maybe 4th or 5th seed

Isaac, we can't get him without trading anyone... A #15+Rush junk type of package won't be enough... you exchange quality for quality
    Last edited by yoadknux; 05-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.

I would be thrilled if we got Smith and was then able to sign Marc Gasol to play Center next to him......

That would be nice

PG: Collison
    SG: George
    SF: Granger
    PF: Smith
    C: Gasol

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esabyrn333 For This Useful Post:

Mood

If we can sign Nene and pull in Josh Smith for a Hibbert + expirings+ picks package,we win the offseason. That's the grand slam scenario. It's really possible too.
    Pacers,baby!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeliumFear For This Useful Post:

The only two ways we could trade for Smith is one, to trade them Danny, which would be stupid because then we wouldn't have a reliable first option. We need another scorer to go with Danny, not move players around like trading cards.

Or to trade them Hibbert, Posy, and another young guy and thereby as has already been mentioned defeat the purpose of trading for Smith because he would compliment Hibbert.

I think we need to have patience and wait until something better comes along. There will be better free agents next year. I think it would be better to tread water this year unless something really good comes along.

I know a lot of you guys are not patient at all, but I don't see a trade for Smith making us better. Free agent acquisition yes, he would make us better, trading for him, no.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

If we can get Nene or Marc Gasol, then I'd be open to what would essentially if not literally (with our cap space) be a Hibbert for Smith trade.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Smith has been cussed and discussed for the last 6 months here, this will just add fuel to the fire. If it's not this rumor, it will be another 1 or 2 or 3 or more the rest of the off season. I can't hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by HeliumFear View Post
    If we can sign Nene and pull in Josh Smith for a Hibbert + expirings+ picks package,we win the offseason. That's the grand slam scenario. It's really possible too.
    Possible yes. Likely, no! I think you guys that keep putting Nene in your scenario's are dreaming big time.

I think Denver will resign Nene, and he says he wants to be there.

And BEFORE we trade a center like Hibbert, we need to already have his replacement on the roster. So we would have to acquire Nene before we traded for Smith.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Hawks need a C so they can slide Horford to his true PF spot, and have been looking for a point guard for some time (though they might be ok with Hinrich/Teague)

Doing a Hibbert-Smith swap is good value for us, but our frontcourt will only get serious once we get a decent center like T.Chandler, Marc Gasol or Nene. Problem is, it'll blow all our cap space. Smith gets 12.4m next year. If we sign one of the centers above, they'll need around the 10m-13m/year type of salary, which puts us around 55m-58m (which might be bad with the new CBA)

Collison/Price
    George/Rush
    Granger/Jones
    Smith/Tyler
    (Center)/Foster

That's a good team, maybe 4th or 5th seed

Isaac, we can't get him without trading anyone... A #15+Rush junk type of package won't be enough... you exchange quality for quality
    If we could get a Starting quality Center that can block shots to add to JSmoove, I would happily move Hibbert to get him in the 1st place. I remember that I've read a SI article about some shotblocker and they said that the one common trait that MOST Championship Caliber Team were able to control the paint with shotblockers ( see what the Mavericks did with Chandler and Haywood ).

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If we could get a Starting quality Center that can block shots to add to JSmoove, I would happily move Hibbert to get him in the 1st place. I remember that I've read a SI article about some shotblocker and they said that the one common trait that MOST Championship Caliber Team were able to control the paint with shotblockers ( see what the Mavericks did with Chandler and Haywood ).
    Chandler & Smith combo gives us a defensive boost. George is a good defender. Granger can be a good defender. Rush & Jones & hopefully Foster are also great defensive options off the bench. Which makes us... a tough defensive team!
    We still need that "create his own shot SG" type of guy though... but at least we're improving. Smith and a better George and DC should be enough (though not optimal) offensive support for Danny.

Instead of trading Hibbert, maybe we initiate a three-way with Denver/Memphis, sending Nene/Gasol to Atlanta.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Instead of trading Hibbert, maybe we initiate a three-way with Denver/Memphis, sending Nene/Gasol to Atlanta.
    This really doesn't make sense. If we are not trading Hibbert who are we trading?

I wouldn't trade Granger for Josh Smith because it really doesn't make us any better. However, if you dealt Hibbert and could land Gasol or Nene, there's no question we become a better team.