Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Golden State Warriors hire Jerry West

Default Re: Stephan Curry to the Lakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol I had completely forgotten that West didn't even work for the Grizzlies anymore when the trade went down. That makes the original premise of this thread even funnier.
    He was President of BB Operations not GM. Couple that with how him and McHale get slaughtered for those trades. I assumed he made it. My bad.
    So I admit, McHale must be the homer not West.

Default Re: Stephan Curry to the Lakers?

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    How many championships have the Lakers won since the trade? Plus they went to another and lost. Yes, it was very lopsided.
    Kobe Bryant might have had a wee little bit to do with that.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Golden State Warriors hire Jerry West

That was an extremely lopsided trade, any one who says otherwise is being ridiculous. There was a million and 1 ways Memphis could have created cap space without trading their best player.

Not that it's a big deal, looks like it could turn out good for Memphis if they can keep Marc, but we'll see.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would rather have Z-Bo and Marc Gasol on my squad instead of just Pau in their place. That's what makes the end result of the trade very positive for the Grizzlies. They were going nowhere with a team built around Gasol (wasn't he like 0-12 in playoff games and out of the race when he was traded?) and ended up getting a guy in Marc that is really playing well. If they end up losing Marc for absolutely nothing, I'd be willing to admit that it was a bad deal, but I really think that generally speaking, people who hate(d) the deal were and still are very short-sighted. Both teams got exactly what they wanted out of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I would rather have Z-Bo and Marc Gasol on my squad instead of just Pau in their place. That's what makes the end result of the trade very positive for the Grizzlies. They were going nowhere with a team built around Gasol (wasn't he like 0-12 in playoff games and out of the race when he was traded?) and ended up getting a guy in Marc that is really playing well. If they end up losing Marc for absolutely nothing, I'd be willing to admit that it was a bad deal, but I really think that generally speaking, people who hate(d) the deal were and still are very short-sighted. Both teams got exactly what they wanted out of the trade.
    Short sighted is remembering how Pau played this playoffs and not every other playoff performance which were far superior to Marc. It's not close. Pau is a much better player than Marc.

The fact that Memphis was getting to the playoffs in the first place was a tribute to Pau leading a terrible team by himself.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since West wasn't involved with the Pau trade... Why don't we talk about him getting hired by GS? - How do you think this affects the way the build their team? Think they will go for a more rounded team, instead of a High offense and no defense?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Short sighted is remembering how Pau played this playoffs and not every other playoff performance which were far superior to Marc. It's not close. Pau is a much better player than Marc.

The fact that Memphis was getting to the playoffs in the first place was a tribute to Pau leading a terrible team by himself.
    Yes, Pau is a better player than Marc. But he is not a better player than Marc and Randolph.

I don't know, but I thought something smelled fishy at the time because there should have been a bidding war for Pau Gasol to max his value and there wasn't. Just the deal with the Lakers.

Have to wait and see if GS does do a deal that helps out the Lakers that no one else gets in on.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 05-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I don't know, but I thought something smelled fishy at the time because there should have been a bidding war for Pau Gasol to max his value and there wasn't. Just the deal with the Lakers.

Have to wait and see if GS does do a deal that helps out the Lakers that no one else gets in on.
    There could have been behind the doors and we just never heard about it. Not everything gets leaked to the media. In fact it is far more likely that something does not get leaked than it is that something does get leaked.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    There could have been behind the doors and we just never heard about it. Not everything gets leaked to the media. In fact it is far more likely that something does not get leaked than it is that something does get leaked.
    Disagree. Other teams were complaining they didn't know about it.

The Pacers front office doesn't talk about trades, but we hear about some trades because of the other team. When we were wanting Al Harrington from Atlanta, one of their owners was the one running their mouth.

Two or three teams can make a trade and no one will hear about it, but that's about as big of a trade that you can keep the lid on. Teams aren't going to max out a players value behind closed doors. We'd have heard about it.

Yes Memphis got what is now looked at as a good deal from the Lakers, but that's because Marc panned out.

With Jerry West's influence I could see the Lakers dealing Gasol to GS for Monta Ellis and David Lee. (It works)

Or Artest and Bynum for Monta Ellis and David Lee. (It works)

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Disagree. Other teams were complaining they didn't know about it.

The Pacers front office doesn't talk about trades, but we hear about some trades because of the other team. When we were wanting Al Harrington from Atlanta, one of their owners was the one running their mouth.

Two or three teams can make a trade and no one will hear about it, but that's about as big of a trade that you can keep the lid on. Teams aren't going to max out a players value behind closed doors. We'd have heard about it.

Yes Memphis got what is now looked at as a good deal from the Lakers, but that's because Marc panned out.

With Jerry West's influence I could see the Lakers dealing Gasol to GS for Monta Ellis and David Lee. (It works)

Or Artest and Bynum for Monta Ellis and David Lee. (It works)
    Problem with either of those trades is that the Lakers are trading the best player in the deal. Ellis's numbers are bloated and overrun from a run and gun GS offense, and Lee is decent but not that great of a player for his contract.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    Since West wasn't involved with the Pau trade... Why don't we talk about him getting hired by GS? - How do you think this affects the way the build their team? Think they will go for a more rounded team, instead of a High offense and no defense?
    I tried lol
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    I don't know what West will exactly do for the Warriors at this stage of his career, but his presence can't hurt. At the very least he adds credibility, something the organization could certainly use. I would hope that he can tell Joe Lacob that "Hey, the way you have your team built right now, it's never going to win." He needs to be a voice of sanity and reason.

One thing is I'm confident is that if West were around in 2008, he would've never let Robert Rowell dismantle that "We Believe" team the way it was when he essentially drop kicked Baron in favor of Corey Maggette and then gave SJax that completely unnecessary extension.

I definitely feel goo dabout Lacob adding a guy like Jerry West. I'd feel even better if he got rid of that Rowell stooge. That guy disgusts me to no end and has no business being a part of any professional organization.