Thread: Five-man plus/minus

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Five-man plus/minus

RoboDoug's dedication has me thinking...

As you PD old-timers (since we're starting our second season at PD, is that an oxymoron or what?) might recall, last season I built an MS-Access database to track five-man plus/ minus (a much more useful alternative to Pacers.com individual plus/ minus.)

I got swamped with work late last fall, and I wasn't able to keep the database current for very long. Its not obscenely time-consuming, it takes me about a half hour per game and that's mostly re-reading the official play-by-play sheet so I could figure out what the five-player combinations were, a small amount of that time is inputting data into the database.

If there is sufficient interest in using this again this season, (1) speak up. (2) I'm going to be very busy at work for the next six weeks. As mentioned, the database is coded and the formulas are written, with some small tweaks to the roster, its ready to go - but I probably won't have time to maintain the database myself, so I might need some help.

Your feedback is appreciated. Unless, of course, you tell me to "go f myself." I wouldn't appreciate that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Default Re: Five-man plus/minus

It would be appreciated; however may not be necissary. I don't have the URL on me on my laptop, but someone I'm sure does. I think it's called 82games.com , or something like that. They do 5-man +/- and then some, for all 30 teams, so you may be better off just letting them do it, and you can be the official guy to post updates here on PD. Just a thought.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well why not have it queery other sites to complie your stats , I am not sure the specifics of the whole thing but you can draw stats from other sites , I know this is how alot of stats keep there databases updated.

I know it's possiable but I am not that skilled in databases to be able to tell you step by step how to do this , I played in a fantasy BB league last year and a user made up all the stats on a website just drawing the info from ESPn's own website etc .

GEL

It is 82games.com.

Interesting that each 5 man +/- rotation that has Miller in it is a 'plus'. He is not listed in any rotation that is in the 'minus'. And he is the only player in which that is the case. I was surprised by that. Maybe he is a difference maker!

The most effective rotation was Tinsley, Miller, Artest, O'Neal & Foster. (+249) Of course those are our starters, so not too surprising. They had the most minutes together and the best result together.

The lowest was Johnson, Jones, Harrington, Croshere & Pollard. (-39)

Just a little info FYI

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

82games is nice , but they really slack off at times , I get most mine from pacers.com , 82games.com wasn't very zealious at keeping up stats at the end of last season and throuhout the season in general.