Thread: Durant's backpack will be part of Thunder star's Nike Line

Default Durant's backpack will be part of Thunder star's Nike Line

Kevin Durant's backpack will be part of Thunder star's Nike line
    BY JENNI CARLSON Staff Writer jcarlson@opubco.com Oklahoman 10 Published: May 18, 2011

DALLAS — Everyone wants a piece of Kevin Durant these days.

Coming to a store near you — the KD backpack.

The accessory that will eventually hit shelves as part of the Thunder superstar's Nike KD III line has become all the rage during these playoffs. It's not just that Durant wears the backpack to every postgame press conference. He also leaves it on the entire time.

With all the straps buckled and tightened in front, he looks like he's ready to hike across campus to geometry class.

“People say they like it. People say they don't,” Durant said. “I'm going to stick with it.”

Intended or not, he is doing one heck of an advanced advertising campaign for the KD backpack. With Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals on Thursday night in Dallas, Oklahoma City's playoff run has already lasted more than a month. The Thunder has played almost every other day, and after just about each game, Durant and his backpack have been part of the postgame press conference. The footage is then used by national networks and local stations.

That's some serious product exposure.

It is unknown when the backpack with an embroidered KD logo will debut or how much it will cost once it hits stores, but a Nike backpack in Kobe Bryant's line retails for $90.

The thing is, no one ever suggested that Kobe's backpack should have its own Twitter account like KD's.

(Yes, that has been mentioned on the social networking site.)

The most persistent question during these playoffs has been “What's in Kevin Durant's backpack?”

More on that in a minute.

Durant first wore one of his backpacks to the postgame press conference after Game 4 of the Thunder's first-round series against the Nuggets. It made sense because after a late game, the team was trying to make a quick exit from the arena, bus to the airport and return home as quickly as possible.

But now?

He wears it all the time, home or away regardless of the travel schedule. It seems to have become something of a superstition.

“That's my thing,” Durant admitted.

So, what does he have in the backpack?

Thunder coach Scott Brooks isn't sure.

“I know he doesn't have any money in there,” he said. “He never bought a meal in his life. You can guarantee (money's) something he doesn't have.”

Perhaps he's carrying around stuff for teammates or coaches.

“No,” Brooks said, laughing. “I'm a little jealous because I've had a backpack that my son gave me. I wear it all the time. I never get attention for that backpack.”

The mysterious contents of Durant's backpack have become so popular that TNT had a tongue-in-cheek segment about it earlier in the playoffs. Among the items Durant claimed to carry were his game shoes, his clothes for the road trip (three pairs of jeans, three shirts and dress shoes) and a basketball.

“And I got Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme donuts for Chuck,” he said of TNT commentator Charles Barkley.

Thunder teammate Eric Maynor even joked, "Nate's in there sometimes."

Reserve guard Nate Robinson might be only 5-foot-9, but the backpack isn't that big.

Turns out, Durant's stash in his backpack is much smaller — Bible, iPad, headphones, three phones and phone chargers.

“I'm a little lazy,” Durant said, “so I don't like to carry all that stuff in my hands.”

Want to battle laziness like Kevin Durant?

There's a pack for that.
    Read more: http://newsok.com/kevin-durants-back...#ixzz1MpA0g1Zz

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Durant's backpack will be part of Thunder star's Nike Line

Thunder teammate Eric Maynor even joked, "Nate's in there sometimes."
    I guess this means that Durant literally puts the team on his back.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post: