Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gasol more available than Mayo?

Default Re: Gasol more available than Mayo?

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand your logic, but I have 2 main points of contention:

1. I don't believe we have a glaring hole at PF. I believe we have a glaring hole at "Really Good Big Man". I think that if we fill our hole at "Really Good Big Man" that our other big will be good enough to play alongside them. I do not believe there are any PF's available in the FA market that fit the "Really Good Big Man" mold. I think there are two C's (Gasol and Nene) who do.
    I'd like to suggest adding Chris Kaman to this line of thinking. Though not a FA, he's only got one year left ($12.2M) on his contract and is frequently mentioned as "attainable." Our ideal 4-5 Player X is nowhere to found, it seems, so by all means, let's go after either Gasol or Nene ... but I'll be surprised if they are not re-signed. In that event--and by your reasoning, Melli--I'd be delighted to acquire Kaman at a reasonable price (Posey, Rush & #15?), then maybe go after another scorer (Landry?) at PF.

I like Gasol but he seems like he is only a couple of double cheeseburgers away from being overweight. It's still hard to believe he was drafted so low, given his brother's success.

Man. This Bill Ingram seriously forgot to add Z-Bo's salary to his math.
    Which makes all of his numbers fail. With 12+5 for Gasol and Shane, Memphis would be over 70 mil next year.

If he did his math, he wouldn't even have to use that impossible "45 mil cap" idea.
    Clearly this guy has no clue about Memphis plans if he can miss the most basic things.

Can you really get paid writing these articles? I want in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's hard to imagine Memphis not placing enough importance on Gasol, I think he's a massive part of what they do. He's become fantastic. I might even prefer him to his brother.

I'd take him over Hibbert. If he's truly available, I'd love to see him come here.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut N Beer View Post
    I like Gasol but he seems like he is only a couple of double cheeseburgers away from being overweight. It's still hard to believe he was drafted so low, given his brother's success.
    It's probably got to do with the contract situation of European players and the uncertainty that he'll play early for the team that drafted him that's why he was drafted so low. It also happened to Manu Ginobili if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    It's probably got to do with the contract situation of European players and the uncertainty that he'll play early for the team that drafted him that's why he was drafted so low. It also happened to Manu Ginobili if I remember correctly.
    He was drafted low because he was massively overweight and generally not very good. He was called the "Big Burrito" before he came to the NBA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    He was drafted low because he was massively overweight and generally not very good. He was called the "Big Burrito" before he came to the NBA.
    Thanks for the info. His weight has certainly helped him right now given that he's a banger in the paint. Hope he doesn't gain more weight to reduce lower-body related injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It's hard to imagine Memphis not placing enough importance on Gasol, I think he's a massive part of what they do. He's become fantastic. I might even prefer him to his brother.

I'd take him over Hibbert. If he's truly available, I'd love to see him come here.

I also would take Gasol over Hibbert in a heartbeat. He's tuff and not a Mr. Softee like Hibbert. He can rebound and play "D". I don't EVER see Hibbert getting to Gasol's playing level.

There is no way Memphis is letting Gasol go! Players like Gasol at center are hard to find. You let other players, Mayo/Gay, go long b4 you lose Gasol.

Gasol is a player who plays at a position you pay the big bucks to. I wouldn't think twice of paying him big bucks if the Pacers could get him. I'm not even thinking Gasol would be obtainable, but if Heisley wants to go cheap then Roy, 011 & 013 1sts, Rush, and capspace might get get Heisley's attention. I'd do the trade and NEVER look back. I feel Gasol is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I also would take Gasol over Hibbert in a heartbeat. He's tuff and not a Mr. Softee like Hibbert. He can rebound and play "D". I don't EVER see Hibbert getting to Gasol's playing level.
    Hibbert gets more rebounds and block shots in less minutes than Gasol. And Hibbert's also faster. You think Roy is a problem on the pick and pop? Keep watching Gasol.

I understand people don't like Roy's softness, I don't either. But we don't have to make stuff up because we like another player more. I like Roy more than Gasol but I'm not going to say he's stronger than Marc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A 45 mil hardcap isn't going to be next year if ever.
    Yeah, I don't know where they are getting that number from. Isn't that close to the current minimum salary level for all teams this season? So they're trying to propose the minimum become the new maximum?

If so, they're also asking the players to take less salary than what their often frivolous team GMs/owners agreed to pay them. I don't blame the players for flatly rejecting that proposal.

Going along with that plan would really squeeze out older players and a lot of guys would find themselves cut via the amnesty rule and never signed because few teams will have room to add players even at a veteran minimum price tag.

This would totally screw the Pacers too. They finally get under the cap this summer but would still have very little capspace, about 50% less than what they would've had under this current CBA.

I think a hard salary cap of 65 million is far more likely than one starting at 45 million. Even with a hard cap of 65 million teams like the Lakers, Mavs, Magic, Hawks, and Spurs would be way over the cap and need to make lopsided trades to get under the cap. That could help the Pacers because at least they could be on the receiving end of one of those trades.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

A 45 mil hardcap isn't going to be next year if ever.
    Yep, the whole article is based on a dooms day scenario.

It doesn't mean they won't have trouble signing everyone, but it's not going to be like is being depicted here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do you have your Hyperbole Blaster set on max?

Marc had a great playoffs run but there isn't that great of a divide between Hibbert and Gasol.

If you compare their regular season numbers, their numbers are nearly identical other than FG%. Marc's playoff production was way higher than what he gave during the regular season. In fact he took a step backwards from the season before. It's still not a certainty that he'll be able to carry the type of numbers he had in the playoffs through an entire regular season. If he can then you have to pay big to keep him but will you have enough money to spread around under the new CBA?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I like Roy at 2.5 million better than Gasol at 15 million, next year for sure.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

Marc had a great playoffs run but there isn't that great of a divide between Hibbert and Gasol.

If you compare their regular season numbers, their numbers are nearly identical other than FG%. Marc's playoff production was way higher than what he gave during the regular season. In fact he took a step backwards from the season before. It's still not a certainty that he'll be able to carry the type of numbers he had in the playoffs through an entire regular season. If he can then you have to pay big to keep him but will you have enough money to spread around under the new CBA?

Isn't that what "good players" are suppose to do? Now, tell me how did Roy do in the playoffs! If Roy had stepped up his game, maybe the Pacers might have gone to the 2nd round.

I notice you left out how Gasol plays much better "D" than Hibbert and is stronger as well. Even if their stats are similiar, the toughness and "D" is what separates Gasol from Hibbert as the better player. 2 of the most important aspects of a big man is toughness and "D", and I give high priority to both those aspects in a big man.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Do you have your Hyperbole Blaster set on max?

Since I also made the same claim, I'll defend it. I watch these guys with my own eyes and I see a difference. Financials aside, I think Gasol plays in the "smashmouth" style better than Roy does. I question whether Roy will ever become consistent and aggressive. He seems way too easily rattled and dispirited. And just to further the point with something you said yourself, Gasol stepped up in the playoffs, while Roy shrunk.

The only negative to Gasol is he's gonna cost more.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I like Roy at 2.5 million better than Gasol at 15 million, next year for sure.
    No one will give Gasol 15 million. He's not that good.
    And just so you know, Hibbert expires next season... we will need to resign/extend him

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    No one will give Gasol 15 million. He's not that good.
    And just so you know, Hibbert expires next season... we will need to resign/extend him
    Okay 12 million a year, highest paid on the team, as it stands now. Roy could get a qualifying offer in two years. Regardless, take the extreme examples.

2 years of each

Gasol 25 million 12 + 13 = 25
    Roy 2.5 + 10 = 12.5

Gasol isn't twice as good as Roy. If you spend on Gasol, you handcuff other things you need to try to do.

I'm not against it, who knows what you could get for Roy, if you get Gasol. I'm just saying its an expensive rearranging of the deck chairs.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Screw it and try to get both Gasol brothers to be our starting bigs. I bet they both could be had.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    Screw it and try to get both Gasol brothers to be our starting bigs. I bet they both could be had.
    Now that would be interesting, they strangely would compliment each other big time, I think.

We could have a bad neck beard fan group.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Personally I would spend money on the guys who can get it done in the playoffs since thats what the Pacers need to have to be successful. I wonder what it would take to get Gasol away from Memphis. 15 mill is too much but maybe 12 to 13 per would do it. IF we could get Gasol and trade Hibbert in a packaged deal for someone then that would be a great way to upgrade the team. Certainly we could get an Iggy type player with Hibbert as a trade bait.

Its hard to believe that Memphis would let him go.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 05-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

I'm not against it, who knows what you could get for Roy, if you get Gasol. I'm just saying its an expensive rearranging of the deck chairs.

You are getting a better quality deck chair that should last for years to come. One of quality that you can add to the young core and go forth. Hibbert is weak physically and mentally, and toughness and Hibbert should never be used in the same sentence. I get so tired of watching it take 10 minutes after Hibbert gets the ball to finally work himself into position for a shot. He looks apprehensive with little confidence in what he's trying to do.

Do I think hibbert can be a decent center, sure, but I want more than a decent center. If Gasol could be had w/o gutting the core and causing a financial problem, then it's a no brainer you get him. If I'm going to have to pay Gasol now or Hibbert in a year or 2, I'll pay Gasol NOW!