Thread: Draft Prediction Sure to Go Wrong!

Default Draft Prediction Sure to Go Wrong!

We never really know what any team will do because they treat the draft like a CIA mission. But I am going out on a limb here and making a prediction concerning the Pacers upcoming draft pick(s):

The Pacers will keep their pick (15) and pick up a later selection in the low/mid 20's. Here is how: Some team will want to dump the salary of a sg/sf player that Bird will be interested in. In return for taking the salary off their hand, the Pacers will receive that teams pick (See Kirk Hinrich last year).
    This draft does not have many game changers but it is very deep with players who can contribute.
    By doing this the Pacers "could" pick up a PF in Kenneth Faried, a scoring wing to come off the bench (salary dump) and another player via the draft.

There will be several spots to fill and not all of them will be filled thru FA! This could get really interesting!

Default Re: Draft Prediction Sure to Go Wrong!

There are some players who can be taken later in the draft and contribute off the bench.

Justin Harper
    Reggie Jackson
    Johnson
    Jordan Williams
    Travis Leslie
    Nolan Smith
    Kyle Singlar

etc......
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What the hey!

If Atlanta would want to dump Kirk Hinrich and give is their 1st to do so, I guess we could take him off their hands. As an overweight 59-year-old, I'd even provide some rather clumsy cartwheels and backflips when it happens... well maybe not the backflips.

If we did acquire a second 1st round pick, I would see us trading both picks in picking up another veteran player.

The Pacers have more than their share of young players, I just don't see them as wanting to add 2-3 more to the roster. Bird has gone on record as saying that they need more veterans. And as much as so many on here say that the best thing we can do is dump all the veterans, it isn't going to happen. I think there will be a greater percentage of veterans on the team next season than there was this previous season.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Its good to point out. Having the cap room allows you to get players just for taking money off someones cap. OKC got Eric Maynor in exactly this way. Its a good position to be in.

When do the Pacers have to start signing guys that are on their rookie scales?

I ask because that is basically when this cap room goes away when you start to have to sign Hibbert, Tyler and DC, then Paul to presumably much larger contracts.

Banned

I think it really matters who the Pacers take first round.
    If they go PG (Morris/Jackson/Selby) & Shelvin Mack is available in the second round do the Pacers take him? I say no

If they go PF/C with 15 & Jujaun Johnson/Jamie Skeen/ Trey Thompkins have a fall do they take go another big? I say Yes.

Right now I am predicting we take Norris Cole Cleveland State PG in the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the hey!

If Atlanta would want to dump Kirk Hinrich and give is their 1st to do so, I guess we could take him off their hands. As an overweight 59-year-old, I'd even provide some rather clumsy cartwheels and backflips when it happens... well maybe not the backflips.

If we did acquire a second 1st round pick, I would see us trading both picks in picking up another veteran player.

The Pacers have more than their share of young players, I just don't see them as wanting to add 2-3 more to the roster. Bird has gone on record as saying that they need more veterans. And as much as so many on here say that the best thing we can do is dump all the veterans, it isn't going to happen. I think there will be a greater percentage of veterans on the team next season than there was this previous season.
    Washington took Hinrich from the Bulls and Chicago sent them their 1st Rd pick for taking his salary. I was not suggeting we get Hinrich, but that we take a player back and the team send their first with him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Its good to point out. Having the cap room allows you to get players just for taking money off someones cap. OKC got Eric Maynor in exactly this way. Its a good position to be in.
    The Pacers don't have any cap space yet and won't have any at the time of the draft either.

They won't be under the cap until July 1st, which unfortunately for the Pacers is also when the lockout will start.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    The Pacers don't have any cap space yet and won't have any at the time of the draft either.

They won't be under the cap until July 1st, which unfortunately for the Pacers is also when the lockout will start.
    They dont need the space at the time of the draft. The other team will send the player they pick along with the player with the contract they want to unload. As long as Bird wants both the player and the pick we get 2 more players without giving up anyone!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Want:

15 - J. Fredette
    42 - J. Tyler

Prediction

15 - Mk. Morris
    42 - D. Lighty

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

That would be the situation on draft day where they say " team 1 and team 2 have agreed in principal". not a big deal.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 05-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Mood

Want:

#15 - Jordan Hamilton sg/sf so. Texas
    #42 - Cory Joseph pg fr. Texas or Jeremy Tyler PF/C intl. if available

and no, I'm not a Texas fan. I just like fr. and so. caused they can be scooled be the NBA better, have more potential. I think.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 05-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Want:

#15 - Jordan Hamilton sg/sf so. Texas
    #42 - Cory Joseph pg fr. Texas or Jeremy Tyler PF/C intl. if available

and no, I'm not a Texas fan. I just like fr. and so. caused they can be scooled be the NBA better, have more potential. I think.
    DX.com has Joseph getting selected 60th. And after my research, I'm not feeling him as much as other probably-available PGs. Also, we don't need Jordan Hamilton. We are still decently stacked at wing position, he's way too streaky, and we don't need another unreliable swingman, imo.

Want:
    #15 - Reggie Jackson
    #42 - Jeremy Tyler

Drafting for our backup PG "need" earlier (in the first round, no less) is better than getting another second round PG who can't stand up to other options. RJ has a lot of facets of skill that I can appreciate, and which I think would be beneficial for our team, much moreso than AJ Price.

Despite JT's history/attitude, I can't think of anyone who would be in our picking range that can perform like Perry Jones, who I'd rather wait for. But JT's length and height would be incredibly valuable, especially with his ability in the paint. I just don't want him to instantly take a negative turn after the draft and turn into Roy Hibbert 2.0, which I don't want and we don't need.

Prediction:
    #15 - Kenneth Faried
    #42 - Ben Hansbrough

In contrast to my above statements, I can see us picking Kenneth Faried because he's Hansbrough's size, but quite a bit better with his vertical, rebounding, wingspan, athleticism, etc. With that said, I think Bird is more interested in drafting young players to fill specific holes (and trading for reliable talent) instead of taking risks on the weak FA class.

In addition to that, who better to pick up in the second round than BEN HANSBROUGH! I couldn't think of anyone we would likely pick up, but (for some reason) I could see Larry wanting to bring together the Hansbrothers together. Perhaps simply because their competitive nature could fuel some kind of unlit fire that Larry and Herb could market if it was moderately successful. Maybe that's why Brandon was drafted right after we "lost" Kareem. Who knows?

Regardless, I hope I'm epically wrong on my prediction. I still have my reservations on Faried, but would rather have him than plenty of others in this draft. Also, if Ben Hansbrough steps foot in a Pacers jersey (that isn't one of the PD redesigned unis), I will knock on the door of Bird's ranch house and let him know that I thought of the idea first, and I want reimbursed for the rights to "Hansbrothers." I know it's an unlikely pick, but there's always a chance.

I will not stand for the drafting Benny Hans.

edit: saw this tweet about Faried from DX:

Quote Originally Posted by DraftExpress
    Lots of good buzz about Kenneth Faried today. Skill-level looks poor but everyone loves his energy-level and athleticism. "He's an animal."
    Tyler Hansbrough has skill and (some) energy, but lacks athleticism. If we smashed him and Faried together into one player (which hopefully added a couple inches to this new player), then he would be exactly what we're looking for.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 05-23-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

note: I didn't add this into my last post because time passed, and that makes a difference in my posting decisions.

Just for the record, I think Reggie Jackson may be my most official selection for our 15th pick. If I could get past Faried's size, I'd be more split. But there's nothing about RJ that I see that makes me worry about his production. If he played behind DC, he'd almost immediately prove his place, and make a considerable difference to our bench production.

In contrast, I would worry that Faried would get beat out by bigger PF's (even those off the bench) who could stand up to him easily, which is a position/player we already have. Faried's biggest plus is his athleticism, which I hope can make up the difference between his height, and everyone else's.

Although, how awesome would it be if Faried came out on the court in a Pacers jersey, and was the "dreaded" (pun) second coming of Blake Griffin? #win
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    DX.com has Joseph getting selected 60th. And after my research, I'm not feeling him as much as other probably-available PGs. Also, we don't need Jordan Hamilton. We are still decently stacked at wing position, he's way too streaky, and we don't need another unreliable swingman, imo.

Want:
    #15 - Reggie Jackson
    #42 - Jeremy Tyler

Drafting for our backup PG "need" earlier (in the first round, no less) is better than getting another second round PG who can't stand up to other options. RJ has a lot of facets of skill that I can appreciate, and which I think would be beneficial for our team, much moreso than AJ Price.

Despite JT's history/attitude, I can't think of anyone who would be in our picking range that can perform like Perry Jones, who I'd rather wait for. But JT's length and height would be incredibly valuable, especially with his ability in the paint. I just don't want him to instantly take a negative turn after the draft and turn into Roy Hibbert 2.0, which I don't want and we don't need.

Prediction:
    #15 - Kenneth Faried
    #42 - Ben Hansbrough

In contrast to my above statements, I can see us picking Kenneth Faried because he's Hansbrough's size, but quite a bit better with his vertical, rebounding, wingspan, athleticism, etc. With that said, I think Bird is more interested in drafting young players to fill specific holes (and trading for reliable talent) instead of taking risks on the weak FA class.

In addition to that, who better to pick up in the second round than BEN HANSBROUGH! I couldn't think of anyone we would likely pick up, but (for some reason) I could see Larry wanting to bring together the Hansbrothers together. Perhaps simply because their competitive nature could fuel some kind of unlit fire that Larry and Herb could market if it was moderately successful. Maybe that's why Brandon was drafted right after we "lost" Kareem. Who knows?

Regardless, I hope I'm epically wrong on my prediction. I still have my reservations on Faried, but would rather have him than plenty of others in this draft. Also, if Ben Hansbrough steps foot in a Pacers jersey (that isn't one of the PD redesigned unis), I will knock on the door of Bird's ranch house and let him know that I thought of the idea first, and I want reimbursed for the rights to "Hansbrothers." I know it's an unlikely pick, but there's always a chance.

I will not stand for the drafting Benny Hans.

edit: saw this tweet about Faried from DX:

Tyler Hansbrough has skill and (some) energy, but lacks athleticism. If we smashed him and Faried together into one player (which hopefully added a couple inches to this new player), then he would be exactly what we're looking for.
    DX also has Jimmer at #20 and you think Bird is gonna pass him up over Jackson? Pacers need another wing and Hamilton will prolly be the best talent at pick 15. Rush will be gone after next year prolly and Jones will prolly be dealt, that only leaves Granger and George if they aren't dealt. Hamilton will be perfect for next year, if not this year. He shoots 2pt-48% 3pt-38.5% and is one of the most versitile Gaurds in the draft. Some sites have Jackson early to mid 2nd round. I don't see any with Hamilton even in the second round. Got to get the best availible talent at 15 and Jackson isn't it. He doesn't even play PG all the time and his shooting is sub par.

My main issue with Faried is can he play against bigger PFs?

It wouldn't maybe be as big a deal if you didn't have Hansbrough. If you take him, because he's best available, so be it. As far as fit, I love guys who are role players and happy about and do it with a fervor.

I just wonder if your in a series against the Bulls again and you are clearly outsized at the PF for 48 mins, can you play that way.

Is Faried an upgrade from Josh McRoberts, statistically I have no doubt Faried puts up great rebound numbers comparatively, but does he get exploited by bigger guys, defensively. Is he a bigger liability offensively.

Don't you want a bigger PF to compliment Tyler, maybe not.

Again I love energy role players, they are a pain for the other team to play against, I just wonder how Faried fits.
    Last edited by Speed; 05-23-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Mood

It would maybe be as big a deal if you didn't have Hansbrough. If you take him, because he's best available, so be it. As far as fit, I love guys who are role players and happy about and do it with a fervor.

I just wonder if your in a series against the Bulls again and you are clearly outsized at the PF for 48 mins, can you play that way.

Is Faried an upgrade from Josh McRoberts, statistically I have no doubt Faried puts up great rebound numbers comparatively, but does he get exploited by bigger guys, defensively. Is he a bigger liability offensively.

Again I love energy role players, they are a pain for the other team to play against, I just wonder how Faried fits.
    100% agree with you!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

-I predict we will move the #15 before/ during the draft. If LB really wants Mayo, & Mem is serious about moving him, it will take this & likely more, esp after his playoff run to get him.

-I also predict that if a player LB likes falls, we may try to trade back up into the end of Rd. 1 (Wash 18, Cha 19, Min 20, NJ 27, Chi 28 & 30 all also have a 2nd (or both) 1st rd picks later in the draft). I could see J.Tyler, J.Shelby, R.Jackson, K.Faried, or J.Fredette as all possible tagrets.

-I predict you will hear us mentioned in a lot of possible deals. I don't think you have heard the last of Min or Mem, and depending on who is made available and at what price I could see rumors tied to Atl (J.Smith), Wash (Blatche), Utah (Milsap), GS (Ellis/Cury), Sac (J.Thompson). Many of the same old characters. Some have players LB is rumored to like, others are rumored to like some of our guys (Granger).

-Prediction on 2nd rd targets (assuming no changes/ 1st pick bias):
    S.Mack, N.Smith, N.Cole, K.Benson, or the best available SG.

-I perdict only a 5% chance D.Granger is delt. But...
    If we could get #2 (D.Williams) & Rubio & A.Raldolph I think I might have to do that! Add Beasley for #15 & Rush if you think you need to, I'd be good with that, esp if you can some how still get Mayo (S&T McBob & '13 1st for Mayo & a unwanted contract?). I'm likely under-estimating what it would take, but I can dream.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

It wouldn't maybe be as big a deal if you didn't have Hansbrough. If you take him, because he's best available, so be it. As far as fit, I love guys who are role players and happy about and do it with a fervor.

This is why I can not get over people who ignore the fact that Larry keeps using the words "Long" & "Athletic". Not "Strong" & "Crafty". We have our bull in a china shop in Tyler. We need a different look, a compliment, a lifferent look, and a different matchup. If Larry could get hm (not @ 2, but lower & not for Danny!) I think he would want a B.Biyombo-type in this draft. Someone like an A.Randolph or D.Favors, (both prev rumored targets), or even an A.Blatche, not a Faried or a Milsap, or a G.Davis tyle. This is why I am confused at all the A.Jefferson live. Next to Hibbert?... Really? When Larry talks about buliding a "foundation", I don't think we should take that litterally!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would just be absolutely shocked if we end up picking at 15.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This is why I can not get over people who ignore the fact that Larry keeps using the words "Long" & "Athletic". Not "Strong" & "Crafty". We have our bull in a china shop in Tyler. We need a different look, a compliment, a lifferent look, and a different matchup. If Larry could get hm (not @ 2, but lower & not for Danny!) I think he would want a B.Biyombo-type in this draft. Someone like an A.Randolph or D.Favors, (both prev rumored targets), or even an A.Blatche, not a Faried or a Milsap, or a G.Davis tyle. This is why I am confused at all the A.Jefferson live. Next to Hibbert?... Really? When Larry talks about buliding a "foundation", I don't think we should take that litterally!
    I agree. It's why Larry mentioned fit when talking about the players he wants to acquire. I think he likes his core alot and so do I. He wants guys who fit. Wants to build a complimentary team, not just a collection of players.

I think Larry is spot on too. Dallas has a real chance to go to the finals because they have group that fits together. Same for San Antionio over the past years.

It might be a situation where a guy like Jason Thompson fits better than a more talented player like Blatche. The numbers aren't close, but the contributions to winning could be completely reversed. (just an example, not saying JT is the answer)

Good news is some of the tougher skillsets to get are already here and just need developed.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Banned

Chris Singleton

Tobias Harris

Jordan Hamilton

How you rate these 3 is how the Pacers Pick. This is a draft where you go best available and hope you don't overspend via free agency in the offseason.