Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 steps to fixing the Pacers

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default 5 steps to fixing the Pacers

About a year ago, when the Indiana Pacers made the trade to acquire Darren Collison, the NBA world almost immediately felt as though they'd put together the foundations of a really good team. By the time the season started, however, most of us changed our minds. Indiana was very underwhelming, Jim O'Brien didn't seem to be using his point guard or his power forwards to their strengths, and they looked set for more lottery mediocrity.

But then that first-round series with the Chicago Bulls happened, and everybody changed their minds. Again.

With interim head coach Frank Vogel bringing the best out Collison, Paul George, and Tyler Hansbrough, the Pacers showed the Bulls more than anyone thought they would, and those players along with Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert are enough to make Indiana look more than a little promising again.

They're not winning a championship as currently constructed, however, which means they've still got a lot of work to do…

1 – Get a coach
    There's no questioning the Pacers were a different team as soon as they made the midseason coaching change, but the question now is whether Vogel is the right guy to move forward with, or whether or not there's a better man out there to take the Pacers to another level.

With coaches like Chuck Person and Mike Brown—both very qualified and very familiar with the Indiana organization—it's not a sure thing Vogel is the guy who ends up helming the Pacers next season. But despite his relative lack of pedigree, he's probably the guy they go with, and that's not a bad thing. He's a confident young coach who clearly had a positive influence on this group, and they'll respond well to him should he be given the opportunity to coach the team without the interim tag.

2 – Let the veterans walk
    Indiana has quite a few expiring contracts this summer, three of which are veteran players that don't carry quite the value that they once did. Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Jeff Foster, and definitely T.J. Ford all have run their course as Pacers, and considering Indiana's strength is their youth, there's little reason to keep those guys around.

If they're going to keep any of the three, Foster has the best chance to be useful as an enforcer, but his better years are far, far behind him. For anything much more than the veteran's minimum, he's probably not worth keeping, either. This team is young, and it needs to stay young. Of course you'd like to see some veterans on the team to help bring the young guys along, but these three vets aren't game-changers.

3 – Figure out how to spend your free agency money
    The Pacers will have the second-most cap space in the entire league this summer with all those expiring deals, and no matter what the new CBA ends up looking like, they're going to be in a good place to spend some money on guys who can help the team.

While Indy has put together a reasonable starting lineup, they could still use a more natural shooting guard and definitely need an upgrade at the power forward position. Hansbrough has shown flashes of brilliance this past season, but still has issues with consistency, and there are players available that could help shore up that frontline, especially if they're going to lose Jeff Foster and possibly Josh McRoberts.

Depending on how much money they want to spend, Jason Richardson and Jamal Crawford are the best unrestricted shooting guards on the market, with younger restricted free agents like Wilson Chandler and Shannon Brown also probably worth taking a look at. As for the power forward situation, the top guy in this class is David West (if he opts out), though he's not likely to end up a Pacer. Someone like Carly Landry, Glen Davis, or Luc Mbah a Moute could start for this team, though, and all are young enough to be part of the burgeoning core.

Not that they need much help at the three with Paul George and Danny Granger, but if Granger gets moved (see #4), someone like Shane Battier would be a great fit, too. He'd be a perfect veteran for this team.

Whatever they do, though, expect Indiana to hit free agency hard. There isn't much by way of superstars this year, but there are guys who can help, and that's what the Pacers need.

4 – Trade Danny Granger
    It's a tough call because the man is and has been Indiana's franchise player. With George looking so good, however, and with Granger's contract and output not exactly lining up the way Pacers fans would like, it might be time to look into moving him.

It should be noted the Pacers value Granger highly and would only move him for a player or package of players that included someone they felt had similar All-Star potential or pedigree. They aren't going to dump him for expiring contracts and draft picks; they've got to get real value in return. Knowing that, it's hard to imagine a lot of teams willing to give up All-Star quality talent to get him. The Clippers would happily surrender Chris Kaman to get him, but Indiana has little need for a starting center. That particular deal would need a third team, and goodness only knows who that might be.

The bottom line, though, is that it would be nice to keep Paul George in the starting lineup alongside a more natural two guard. That means moving Granger, and if there's a cost-effective move out there that also makes basketball sense, they've got to pull the trigger.

5 – Let the kids play
    It's a young group, and what they need more than anything is time to grow together and get a full year with a new head coach's system. Get a coach that can hang around for a while, and then set a starting lineup that's maintainable for a few seasons, and turn them loose. Let 'em marinate, and hope that in two or three years you've got a group that's grown into itself, ready to compete for real in the Eastern Conference.

It's not all that crazy, really. They showed the world quite a bit in the 2011 postseason, and with the money they've got to spend to add some new pieces, they should be even better next season. This franchise is in a good place, and Larry Bird and David Morway get to continue their vision, see it through to the end. Let's keep our fingers crossed that what they've worked so hard for comes together the way they hoped. They've got the potential to be very good, but a few pieces are missing. In a year's time, we might feel a little differently. The Indiana Pacers have certainly showed us how easily they can change our minds.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1Mj345Lv0
    Last edited by 90'sNBARocked; 05-18-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 5 steps to fixing the Pacers

Here's my idea.

1. Get the best coach available.

2. Get some/resign some veterans (ie Foster) for leadership and experience.

3. BPAs in draft.

4. Let team grow together.

5. Try for Mayo again.

6. Try to get a top FA or trade for a top talent using our cap space and/or draft picks and/or our non-core players.
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 05-18-2011 at 01:51 PM.

David West is the top FA PF? Didn't he blow out his knee? I'd think that would drop him quite a ways in the rankings.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    David West is the top FA PF? Didn't he blow out his knee? I'd think that would drop him quite a ways in the rankings.
    That's how bad the FA are this summer. Figures!

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Here's my idea.

1. Get the best coach available.

2. Get some/resign some veterans (ie Foster) for leadership and experience.

3. BPAs in draft.

4. Let team grow together.

5. Try for Mayo again.

6. Try to get a top FA or trade for a top talent using our cap space and/or draft picks and/or our non-core players.
    Great plan! Now if it was only that easy

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I think thats more based on past production and a weaker PF FA class

Here is an interesting twist

Who would you rather have right NOW

David West or Serge Ibaka?

"With George looking so good, however, and with Granger's contract and output not exactly lining up the way Pacers fans would like, it might be time to look into moving him.
    "

WTF! Granger probably has the most desirable contract of any SF averaging 20+ a game.

I do like the idea of getting Wilson Chandler at the SG though. That would be a nice pick up.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

This is from someone not quite paying attention, I think.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone like Carly Landry
    I didn't know Carl Landry's sister played PF.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't know about trading Danny.
    Of course we need to trade him if the deal is right. But what is the right deal? Is it available?
    Should we try to get young talent like DeRozan/Favors? We won't make the playoffs, but we should have a good team in a few years.
    Should we try to trade him for someone around his level, like Josh Smith/Monta, and allow George to slide in the SF spot?
    Should we just do nothing?

If we're gonna get Granger some help this summer, like a better starting PF or SG, we should probably keep him and not "lets get young" trade.
    If we do not, well... I hope we make the playoffs, because if we don't (which is possible), then we've wasted it

I don't agree with trading Granger. He really played well in the playoffs and I would LOVE to keep him. He also has a very reasonable contract.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

Ibaka by far

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

A year ago? Ibaka.
    6 months ago? Ibaka
    Yesterday? Ibaka.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I think trading Granger could be a move to consider for next year, but right now, George still needs some seasoning to see what we have. Hate to throw a lot of eggs in the basket and come out worse

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I agree, that was terrible. Glen Davis starting for us? Get out of here.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    LOL

Its from a rabbid Bulls fan, sportwriter on Hoopsworld

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I understand trading Granger for a player of equal or better value. But why in the world would we downgrade by getting Kaman and some picks? He's a top 30 player in this league. You don't just give him away when we are at the cusp of getting over the hump. Danny has been crucial in this.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I understand trading Granger for a player of equal or better value. But why in the world would we downgrade by getting Kaman and some picks? He's a top 30 player in this league. You don't just give him away when we are at the cusp of getting over the hump. Danny has been crucial in this.
    In all fairness to the author he did say a third team would need to be involved as the Pacers have no need for a center

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

People keep giving him this label because of a couple of contact fouls on Rose in the playoffs, but Foster is not an enforcer. Sign him because he's still a great rebounder and a decent defensive big.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glen Davis, Yes please.
    Trade Granger to be trading Granger, No thanks.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

[QUOTE=Richard_Skull;1237387]Glen Davis, Yes please.QUOTE]
    No thank you to Shrek!

Jeff Foster has "run his course" as a Pacer? The writer made it sound like he was a fly-by free agent.

You could debate that he has "run his course" as an NBA player, but as far as I'm concerned, Jeff is a Pacer for life.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trading Danny would be moronic. LOVE Paul George, but he still has a ways to go and Danny has a lot of years of peak play left. We need both of them and some more top notch talent.

I have no problem with PG going back to coming off the bench, if we get a legit 2 in the off season.

I also see no reason he can't be the starting 2, if he can guard Rose at the 1, he sure as hell can guard 2's.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

I would not be totally opposed to trading Danny. If the right deal comes along, why not?

I mentioned before that a deal that would have landed Derrick Favors and co. would have appeal at least IMO. That is about the only type of deal that makes sense if you trade Danny...get a young talent with potential to be a bigger star than Danny.

However when you consider his production and contract...you will not improve your team. Given how him and the rest of the team performed in the playoffs I would rather see the Pacers keep Danny and build on this team.