Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mystical Power Forward

Default Re: The Mystical Power Forward

Varejao is the best fit though. When healthy, he's also on par or close to Nene or Scola or J-Smith when you account for D and consistent effort. D and effort is the key for us above all else at PF spot.

Nene got vastly overrated on this board in terms of D and fit with Hibbert. He's no Varejao. Inconsistent effort on D, subpar rebounding. Shot blocking isn't impressive either - that's because he's not all that athletic, sure he can dunk, but otherwise not top-notch. Besides, he's a bit of a diva.
    I love J-Smith when he's on. A great person from what I keep hearing. But overall I hate on/off guys.

Varejao's contract is also good. If he recovers from injury. So he's the guy I'm hoping for.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who is Aundray Blatche, Alex?

Quote Originally Posted by MaHa3000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I'm mostly hoping for is that this off season we can Improve our depth in the front court. Spend the majority of our cap next year.

Backup possibilities:

Stanko may be coming over right?... there's a possible back up maybe

What about Ian Mahinmi? A bench/ D-league player on the Mavericks pine that has great size and could be gottin cheap.

Draft Biyombo at 15 if he is there

I really hope we can keep McRoberts around.... I don't think he has reached his potential.

Starting PF:

I like David West.. always liked his game and has a great attitude.

Roll with Tyler
    Well that's not going to happen. There's talk about him at 2 for Minnie. Top 8 at worst.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    I know I'm in the big minority but I would hate to have Varejao here. I lived in Cleveland the past 4 years and saw more than enough of his butter fingers and tripping over his own feet to not want him.
    Agreed.

Varaejao is awful. I would be beyond pissed off if we got him. I'd be much more content just re-signing McBob and keeping Tyler as the starter as opposed to signing a terrible player like Varaejao.

Think of it this way. A lot of you don't like Tyler starting. Varaejao is like a bad Tyler Hansbrough. He has awful hands, can't shoot anything but layups and dunks.

I'd rather go after Nene and stick him at the 4. It may not be his natural position, but at least we'd have another true post scorer next to Roy. Nene has good size and is a good scorer, and he has better height than Tyler and would make up for Roy being soft as hell.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Nene averaged 7.6 rbs per game last year I don't see that helping us at PF

I got the impression on this board that he was a big defensive big guy that was a rebounding machine.

How can you be that if you only average 7.6 boards

Banned

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Agreed.

Varaejao is awful. I would be beyond pissed off if we got him. I'd be much more content just re-signing McBob and keeping Tyler as the starter as opposed to signing a terrible player like Varaejao.

Think of it this way. A lot of you don't like Tyler starting. Varaejao is like a bad Tyler Hansbrough. He has awful hands, can't shoot anything but layups and dunks.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Cleveland is in rebuilding mode and is possible that they want another pick and young player for Varejao, Nene is a free agent so we have a shot and Scola, I don't know but is possible that they would trade him if a good package is offered.
    Even in rebuilding mode, I don't see the Cavs moving Sideshow Bob. He's a solid starting quality PF/C that is paid $7 - 9 mil a year....that is dirt cheap for a 29 year old Starting Quality Big Man.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd be excited (to varying degrees) if we got Nene or Varejao or Okafor to be our PF / backup C.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=vnzla81;1236823]

Please explain why Varaejao makes us better and is the mystical PF we need.

I'll be waiting.

My problem with Varaejao is this? Is he going to make us anything but a 7 or 8 seed? Not likely.

While West is coming off a nasty injury (And he's a bit older), I'd rather have him or Nene. With either of them on our team, along with another FA signing or two, I think we can be more than a perennial 1st round exit. With Varaejao, I don't think we're really any better than before.
    Last edited by Psyren; 05-17-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

I'd love to find a PF along the lines of Blake Griffin or Kevin Love, but since that's never going to happen I just want us to bring in a starting quality big man that will help. I absolutely don't want us to spend any of our cap space on another wing player or undersized 4. Any for that can even play at the 3 if disqualified from consideration. I agree that the best attainable big men are centers on their current teams. Nene would be my first choice, followed by Gasol, and I'd be o.k. with trading for Kaman.
    I'm of the firm belief that in today's NBA the twin towers concept would still work, and perhaps give a greater advantage then it did 20 years ago.
    Instead of worrying about how our guys can deal with the small ball played by so many teams, let them worry about how they can deal with our advantage in the paint.
    I have a feeling that Gasol will be the first victim of the new hard cap. Memphis has said that they'll keep him, but I don't see how they can from the salary they have on their books. In the 12/13 season they already have over 45 mil under contract for 3 players. Even if salaries are reduced they still wouldn't be able to add Gasol to that mix and field a team under a hard cap of 45-58 mil.

Banned

[QUOTE=Psyren;1236828]

I'll be waiting.
    Good defensive player(NBA All defensive 2nd team), good rebounder, he does things stats don't show, he is as good or better player than Noah in Chicago, he could be the perfect PF to play next to Hibbert and the perfect back up for Roy.

edit: I would also ad that he is the kind of player opponents hate to play againts, just like Tyler and Noah he gets other player to commit stupid fouls and that is important, he is also one of the NBA leaders in taking charges.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-17-2011 at 11:00 PM.

[QUOTE=Psyren;1236828]

I'll be waiting.
    compared to whom? What we really need is a KG in his prime, but that's unlikely.

Compared to most offensive choices? I'd say our much bigger priority is defense, high motor and toughness.
    Varejao is not the lord and saviour, but I just don't see a perfect choice, personally. So I'd rather take an upgrade who fits the need very well, has very good contract and is easy to trade (in case a young KG does show up).

Varejao is not as good or better than Noah.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Wow no arguments against Blatche huh? I guess you guys are starting to see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Wow no arguments against Blatche huh? I guess you guys are starting to see the light.
    No, just ignoring it. It's not an idea that gets better with time, it's still bad because he's not any smarter and is a headcase.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    No, just ignoring it. It's not an idea that gets better with time, it's still bad because he's not any smarter and is a headcase.
    Well darn you could have at least presented a "better idea". Webber was a "headcase" in Washington and so was Rasheed. Change of scenery does wonders for a young guy with talent. Not so much for Rasheed but at least he won a title.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    Well darn you could have at least presented a "better idea". Webber was a "headcase" in Washington and so was Rasheed. Change of scenery does wonders for a young guy with talent. Not so much for Rasheed but at least he won a title.
    There's a difference between a headcase that plays the game intelligently, and a headcase who acts like one on and off the court. Blatche is one of the least intelligent players in the NBA and also a pain. Webber and Rasheed did stupid things, but they understood how to win.

Blatche was whining he didn't get the ball enough and was taking himself out of games as a whiney *** reaction before he had even started a season's worth of games in the NBA. He's a me first player, he wants his stats. Not W's.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Blatche put up big numbers, & is still young. Yes, he is a rick, but he is the tall, athletic type LB has alluded to that he would like. He or A.Randolph are both risks, but add them & get a leader (Battier'ish) & it could just work. Not crazy about the contract, but if we move Posey I'm good.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Pick back up Magnum Rolle!

Personally there aren't a lot of appealing options out there. I would be just fine with bringing over Stanko, re-signing Foster and McBob, and if Rolle becomes available signing him too. Most of the options just aren't that good, or would just cost too much. Nene at 10 to 12 million fine, Nene at 13+ million hell no.

Varajeo would be a good pick up. But would rather have Nene. Varajeo tends to do things out of his game, sometimes i see him trying to create off the dribble and then turns it over. He is a excellent rebounder. Nene can hit the outside jumper and has a good post game. My favorite thing about Nene is the way he finishes at the rim

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

God D*** it. Every time someone mentions Varaejao wearing blue and gold, I fight the need to have a convulsing seizure and throwing up everywhere.

Edit: To actually make this post useful. I have a hard time finding a better Pf than Josh Smith,although Aldridge would be great too but untouchable. I know that has been talked about to no end. I wouldn't mind having Chris Kaman if he could start at 4 and play some at the 5 (4-5 flexibility being the main reason to have him). I would also be very interested if we got Big Baby; no superstar, but him and Tyler could cause some serious casualties out on the floor. I believe he is a free agent. And then there is Nene. I would to have him but may cost too much.

some others that would be nice to have but won't make you go druel.

Taj Gibson.
    Kris Humphries.
    Carl Landry.
    Last edited by Richard_Skull; 05-18-2011 at 01:59 AM.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo

The reality is that there are no FAs that we can outright sign that will be that "Mystical PF" ( the closest one is Nene and I'm not so sure that he is the answer )....much less one in the draft that we can draft at the 15th spot or even trade up for....so the only way that we are going to get one is to trade for an existing Starting quality PF on another Team.

As to who that PF is that we can reasonably acquire?

Unlike many of you, I don't think that Big Men like Varajeo will be available. Until the new CBA comes out and we get a clearer picture of how the new SalaryCap will affect Teams and their finances, I don't know what "Mystical PF" that we can reasonably get.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-18-2011 at 02:13 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

[QUOTE=pwee31;1236793]I watched that 2009 draft again, and Jay Bilas said that about Hansbrough when we drafted him.[/QUOTE

Forgot about the Bilas quote. Frank said this when he first took over.

Blatche - has talent to be a top player in the NBA, he's selfish, lacks work ethic, doesn't play hard often especially if he's not shooting or really scoring. I'd lable him a cancer actually. He is really good, but its diminished greatly. No thanks!! Plus 2 wins to minus 2 wins.

Verajeo - is Noah lite. He has the foot speed to stay with many power forwards and the size and tenacity to play center. He brings you extra possessions with offensive rebounding and exceptional defense in the front court. He's has 3 guaranteed years left on his contract at 7.9, 8.6, 9.2. This is a good get I think. I also think he would be available since Cleveland is building from the ground up. He turns 30 in September, so thats not great. Plus 5 wins.

Carl Landry - inconsistent undersized guy who can score on occaision. He needs the right match up to play well, imo. He killed Troy Murphy when with the Pacers (who didn't), but if he was matched up against Boozer or Noah, he'd get killed in a playoff series. Landry is a good back PF imo, but not what the Pacers need. Even.

Nene - by far the best fit, but is he worthy of franchise money, can you build around him as a best player, probably not, but he'll get paid like you can. Tough call, he would probably get the Pacers to 8 - 12 more wins next year, but not to contender status. Plus 10 wins.

Al Jefferson - he needs the offense to revolve around him to be effective, not a smart player, in general, liability defensively. Horrible fit next to Hibbert. If you got Jefferson, I'd say move Roy for a defensive based center who doesn't need to ever touch the ball. Plus 4 wins.

Kris Humphries - better rebounding Tyler with worse offense, can't play center. One year statistical wonder who worries you if this was real. Sounds like NJ will wrap him up. Plus 2 wins.

Taj Gibson - I like him better than Boozer, honestly. He's very very good defensively, just young and inconsistent. I"d guess Chicago realizes his value too and you'd have to way overpay in a trade for him. Plus 3 wins.

Okafor - too large contract for production, has Center skills, but is mostly a PF. Couldn't play him next to Roy in todays perimeter type PFs. He does do what you need rebound defend, but not at an elite level, all the time. He's a support player paid like a 2nd best or 1st best guy. If you can play with CP3 and still put up "just good" numbers, that may tell you that you have limitations. Plus 5 wins.

Sciola - Great fit, worker, can get buckets in awkward ways. It seems Houston realizes how good he is too and the asking price is high. I'd love to get this guy, he would make the overall team fit and play better. He was 31 in April and has 3 years left on his contract at 8.5, 9.4, 10.2. Paying a 34 yr old Sciola 10.2 may be tough to swallow. Plus 9 wins.

Who else did I miss?

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post: