Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

  1. #1

    Default Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    They both sound like morons

    However Irsay should've just not said anything ... by responding on Twitter just makes him look infantile.. the media says this for shock value and he took the bait.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ully/#comments

    Tony Kornheiser calls Jim Irsay “bozo,” Irsay calls Kornheiser “chump”
    Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT

    APColts owner Jim Irsay and former Monday Night Football commentator Tony Kornheiser have engaged in a war of words today, with Kornheiser ripping Irsay on the radio, Irsay ripping Kornheiser on Twitter, and both parties landing some verbal jabs.

    Caught in the crossfire was Kornheiser’s former Washington Post colleague Sally Jenkins, whom Kornheiser called “shrew-like” for the tone of her own commentary on NFL owners.

    It started with Kornheiser scoffing on his radio show at Irsay’s claim that he could get an NFL labor deal hammered out by sitting down with Colts center Jeff Saturday.

    “What inflames this is a complete bozo, like Jimmy Irsay,” Kornheiser said. “Jimmy Irsay, who inherited his team. Worked very hard in the American way. He was in what Dan Jenkins used to call ‘The son business.’ He inherits a team, and now he says, ‘Jeff Saturday and I could hang out, we could go clubbing, we could work this out on a napkin at Ralph’s Boathouse.’”

    For the record, it was actually Rick’s Boatyard where Irsay said he and Saturday could do a deal. And while Kornheiser is right that Irsay inherited his team from his father, just about anyone who has observed the Colts through the years would agree that Irsay has been an effective owner, far more effective than his dad.

    But Kornheiser wasn’t done, saying that Irsay is viewed as a joke among his fellow owners, who would be much more likely to listen to someone like Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

    “Jimmy Irsay, the rest of the owners wouldn’t trust Jimmy Irsay to call a cab for them,” Kornheiser said. “Just so we understand that. They would not. Now, when the Krafts of the world, Kraft says, ‘This is hurting us with fans,’ he’s a reasonable guy. They would trust Kraft. There’s four or five owners that the other owners would trust to get involved in this.”

    When Irsay heard about that, he went on Twitter and responded.

    “T.Kornheiser is a mean-spirited chump! When he can win 115 games n a decade,build a top 3 stadium,win n host a Super Bowl,then he can chirp!” Irsay wrote. “I think he used 2 b Bill Tobin’s mailman…but that would b an insult 2 mail men! I just droppin’ knowledge…”

    So now that we have Irsay’s response, the next question is whether Sally Jenkins, who wrote a column criticizing NFL owners, will also offer a response to Kornheiser’s comments during the same segment of his radio show.

    “I read Sally’s shew-like, hysterical column in which she just bangs the owners around, constantly, constantly, constantly,” Kornheiser said. “I’m really sick of that.”

    So, to be clear, Kornheiser is sick of members of the media criticizing the owners. But he’s happy to use his radio show to call one owner a bozo.

  2. #2
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,848

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Kornheiser is a moron. Ripping Irsay because he inherited the team? Are you serious? Yeah, he inherited the team.....like a billion other sports owners have. Inheritance is just a part of business. Some are born into more fortunate situations than others and that's just life. Just because Irsay was born into a privileged world doesn't mean that he isn't great at what he does. Ask anyone who knows one iota about the Colts and they will tell you that Jim is an infinite better owner than his dad.

    Kornheiser saying that the other owners "wouldn't trust Jimmy Irsay to call a cab for them" shows just how little Kornheiser knows. Um, Tony, the other owners awarded Irsay's cold-weather city with a Super Bowl. Indy is an unconventional Super Bowl location so clearly there was something impressive with the package we put together. Robert Kraft, who Kornheiser is drooling over in this article, had this to say about Irsay:

    "I voted for Indianapolis because of Jim, because I like him and respect what he's done there," says Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

    http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0929/083.html

    Hmm, looks like other owners do indeed respect Irsay. The owner of the Colts biggest rival gave him a ringing endorsement, which I think says quite a bit. Clearly, the elite owners in the NFL respect Irsay. Of course, if Kornheiser did 10 minutes of research he would understand this.

    Irsay has been an owner in the NFL for almost 15 years now. He has had one of the most successful franchises in the NFL over that time span, has built a palace of a stadium, and has been awarded a Super Bowl despite being in a landlocked cold-weather city. He has clearly earned the respect of his fellow owners, as is evidenced by Robert Kraft's comments.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-18-2011 at 02:17 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kornheiser is a moron. Ripping Irsay because he inherited the team? Are you serious? Yeah, he inherited the team.....like a billion other sports owners have. Inheritance is just a part of business. Some are born into more fortunate situations than others and that's just life. Just because Irsay was born into a privileged world doesn't mean that he isn't great at what he does. Ask anyone who knows one iota about the Colts and they will tell you that Jim is an infinite better owner than his dad.

    Kornheiser saying that the other owners "wouldn't trust Jimmy Irsay to call a cab for them" shows just how little Kornheiser knows. Um, Tony, the other owners awarded Irsay's cold-weather city with a Super Bowl. Robert Kraft, who Kornheiser is drooling over in this article, had this to say about Irsay:

    "I voted for Indianapolis because of Jim, because I like him and respect what he's done there," says Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

    http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0929/083.html

    Hmm, looks like other owners do indeed respect Irsay. The owner of the Colts biggest rival gave him a ringing endorsement, which I think says quite a bit. Clearly, the elite owners in the NFL respect Irsay. Of course, if Kornheiser did 10 minutes of research he would understand this.

    Irsay has been an owner in the NFL for almost 15 years now. He has had one of the most successful franchises in the NFL over that time span, has built a palace of a stadium, and has been awarded a Super Bowl despite being in a landlocked cold-weather city. He has clearly earned the respect of his fellow owners, as is evidenced by Robert Kraft's comments.


    I can understand why people don't take Irsay seriously I know I don't especially when you respond so immaturely on Twitter. I would've ignored him and moved on.

    By reacting he gave TK what he wanted.

  4. #4
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,848

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can understand why people don't take Irsay seriously I know I don't especially when you respond so immaturely on Twitter. I would've ignored him and moved on.

    By reacting he gave TK what he wanted.

    Meh, who doesn't get carried away on twitter these days?

    Kornheiser is the one that started with the immaturity. He said the other owners wouldn't trust Irsay to call a cab which is a flat out lie. Robert Kraft, who is clearly one of the more respected owners in the NFL, said that he respected what Irsay has done here. If the owner of our chief rival is saying that then that's all I need to hear. That shows how ignorant and misinformed Tony Kornheiser's comments were and they didn't deserve to be responded to with class or maturity. I'm glad Irsay took to twitter, because that will probably only irritate Kornheiser more. We all know that Kornheiser has a massive ego that can't handle any criticism whatsoever...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kornheiser

    Go to the "Criticism" portion of his wikipedia page. Time and time again, he has proven himself to be an egotistical maniac who can't handle any criticism.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, who doesn't get carried away on twitter these days?

    Kornheiser is the one that started with the immaturity. He said the other owners wouldn't trust Irsay to call a cab which is a flat out lie. Robert Kraft, who is clearly one of the more respected owners in the NFL, said that he respected what Irsay has done here. If the owner of our chief rival is saying that then that's all I need to hear. That shows how ignorant and misinformed Tony Kornheiser's comments were and they didn't deserve to be responded to with class or maturity. I'm glad Irsay took to twitter, because that will probably only irritate Kornheiser more. We all know that Kornheiser has a massive ego that can't handle any criticism whatsoever...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kornheiser

    Go to the "Criticism" portion of his wikipedia page. Time and time again, he has proven himself to be an egotistical maniac who can't handle any criticism.


    Wilbon brought it up on PTI yesterday and he laughed it off..

    Which is what Irsay should've done to begin with.

    Twitter is not private.. once you put it out there its forever...

  6. #6
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    If it takes Bozo and Clarabelle to end the lockout I'm all for it.

  7. #7
    pacer fan since 88-89 Mr_Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis/Noblesville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,680

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    For the record its not Ralphs Boathouse, its Ricks Cafe Boatyard
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    When I hear Irsay speak, I'm not overly impressed by him. However, the proof is in the pudding. He hired and has hung onto Polian, which was his biggest accomplishment. Also, he tapped into the fear of the local fan base that he'd move the team to California at just the right moment so that he could bend the city over a barrel, and has somehow done that with very little upset by the populace.

    Impressive? No. Effective? Yes.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I hear Irsay speak, I'm not overly impressed by him. However, the proof is in the pudding. He hired and has hung onto Polian, which was his biggest accomplishment. Also, he tapped into the fear of the local fan base that he'd move the team to California at just the right moment so that he could bend the city over a barrel, and has somehow done that with very little upset by the populace.

    Impressive? No. Effective? Yes.


    Has very little to do with Irsay and a lot more to do with Manning.

    If it was Ryan Leaf most people here would've packed that Mayflower on their way out of town.

  10. #10
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,759

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I hear Irsay speak, I'm not overly impressed by him. However, the proof is in the pudding. He hired and has hung onto Polian, which was his biggest accomplishment. Also, he tapped into the fear of the local fan base that he'd move the team to California at just the right moment so that he could bend the city over a barrel, and has somehow done that with very little upset by the populace.

    Impressive? No. Effective? Yes.

    Uh, maybe because the RCA Dome was old and a POS?

    Seriously, why would anyone be upset that the city got a new stadium, considering the shape of the RCA Dome, and considering the perks that come along with LOS.

    Damn you Indy, I hate the fact you get to host the NCAA FF every 5 years!!! What a stupid agreement.

  11. #11
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has very little to do with Irsay and a lot more to do with Manning.

    If it was Ryan Leaf most people here would've packed that Mayflower on their way out of town.
    Irsay hired the man who chose Manning over Leaf. Sometimes you do make your own luck.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay hired the man who chose Manning over Leaf. Sometimes you do make your own luck.
    But Manning is the one fans care about... Irsay and Polian are another story.. especially Polian.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, maybe because the RCA Dome was old and a POS?

    Seriously, why would anyone be upset that the city got a new stadium, considering the shape of the RCA Dome, and considering the perks that come along with LOS.

    Damn you Indy, I hate the fact you get to host the NCAA FF every 5 years!!! What a stupid agreement.
    RCA Dome was more than adequate for a small market team. It wasn't a cathedral to football, but it was functional, and the Colts weren't losing money. LA was a boondoggle, as has clearly been shown by their subsequent inability to get a team.

    However, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the deal where the Colts basically make money from the building, and the city pays all the expenses, and paid to have the thing built.

    I've been to a grand total of 0 events inside Lucas Oil Stadium. I've also paid 2% sales tax on every purchase I've made in the last 2+ years to support the stadium I've never utilized. So no, I was perfectly happy with the RCA dome, because it didn't cost me any money to not use it.

    As for the NCAA FF, the RCA Dome had been used in that capacity in prior years, and could have been used again. NCAA HQ is in Indy, it's not like they're not going to hold it in their back yard because of 10,000 fewer seats.

    At any rate, Irsay capitalized on his position at the exact right time. Lucas Oil Stadium will be seen as a huge mistake within 5 years. The team will have a few bad years, the fans will flee, and I'll still be paying 2% sales tax so that 30,000 people can sit in 70,000 seats instead of 55,000.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:


  15. #14
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Actually, the RCA Dome WAS (and still is) costing you money for not using it.

  16. #15
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,947

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RCA Dome was more than adequate for a small market team. It wasn't a cathedral to football, but it was functional, and the Colts weren't losing money. LA was a boondoggle, as has clearly been shown by their subsequent inability to get a team.

    However, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the deal where the Colts basically make money from the building, and the city pays all the expenses, and paid to have the thing built.

    I've been to a grand total of 0 events inside Lucas Oil Stadium. I've also paid 2% sales tax on every purchase I've made in the last 2+ years to support the stadium I've never utilized. So no, I was perfectly happy with the RCA dome, because it didn't cost me any money to not use it.

    As for the NCAA FF, the RCA Dome had been used in that capacity in prior years, and could have been used again. NCAA HQ is in Indy, it's not like they're not going to hold it in their back yard because of 10,000 fewer seats.

    At any rate, Irsay capitalized on his position at the exact right time. Lucas Oil Stadium will be seen as a huge mistake within 5 years. The team will have a few bad years, the fans will flee, and I'll still be paying 2% sales tax so that 30,000 people can sit in 70,000 seats instead of 55,000.
    I sympathize with a lot of what you're saying in principle, but it's pure fantasy. The RCA Dome was no longer adequate to host an NFL team, much less the NCAA Final Four. Not in today's world. With the popularity of the NFL and college basketball today, we would have lost the Colts and the Final Four in the next couple of years to someone had we not built LOS. Someone else would have been willing to compel their taxpayers to pay the bill and build a much better stadium in terms of the NFL, while the Final Four would have moved to an NFL city that already has a stadium like Arizona, Detroit, Houston, etcetera. The RCA Dome was the smallest stadium in football and I believe had the least number of luxury boxes.

    I'm not a fan of public funding for athletic stadiums at all, but that's my realist take on things.

  17. #16
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Damn you Indy, I hate the fact you get to host the NCAA FF every 5 years!!! What a stupid agreement.
    Why? Jealous?

    Indy is a perfect host city for the Final Four and with it being the location of the NCAA headquarters they understand this as well as anyone.

  18. #17

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, the RCA Dome WAS (and still is) costing you money for not using it.
    I'm aware of that. Another reason I didn't want LOS built.

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sympathize with a lot of what you're saying in principle, but it's pure fantasy. The RCA Dome was no longer adequate to host an NFL team, much less the NCAA Final Four. Not in today's world. With the popularity of the NFL and college basketball today, we would have lost the Colts and the Final Four in the next couple of years to someone had we not built LOS. Someone else would have been willing to compel their taxpayers to pay the bill and build a much better stadium in terms of the NFL, while the Final Four would have moved to an NFL city that already has a stadium like Arizona, Detroit, Houston, etcetera. The RCA Dome was the smallest stadium in football and I believe had the least number of luxury boxes.

    I'm not a fan of public funding for athletic stadiums at all, but that's my realist take on things.
    I'm assuming that Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, and Arrowhead Stadium didn't start out at 70,000+ seats with multiple rings of luxury boxes. Now, because of the dome, RCA Dome's seating capacity wouldn't be expandable in all likelihood. But the stadium could have been renovated to include more suites.

    Or, if LOS has to be built, then perhaps more private funding and a better rev share needs to be implemented so that the city isn't essentially funding the Colts for the next 2-3 decades. I actually didn't have such a huge problem with the building of LOS, my problem was with the deal struck, as mentioned previously. I believe the Colts get to wet their beak on the concessions from all the Final Four games, and yet the city pays all the upkeep during downtime. So, it's solely on the CIB to find people to hold events, pay any shortfalls, and the Colts pay a very small lease, which they probably recoup a decent percentage of from the revenue they see from non-Colts events.

    In fact, that's the part that really gets me. The Colts get revenue when someone else holds an event in a building that they don't own. I read something that during Colts games, if you buy an $8 dollar beer, the city pays the Colts $12 (150% revenue sharing). How is that fair?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:


  20. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,759

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Jealous?

    Indy is a perfect host city for the Final Four and with it being the location of the NCAA headquarters they understand this as well as anyone.
    Sarcasm.

  21. #19
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,759

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    After seeing a 3hr wait, just to get inside Hooters during the FF weekend, I have zero sympathy for anyone who complains about the cost of LOS to the city of Indianapolis.

    None. Not one single bit.

    The amount of revenue, just for that one weekend let alone all the other events that get held there, is HUGE. Absolutely massive.

    Every eatery was packed, every bar had lines of over an hour long, and I heard you couldn't find a hotel room from Indy to Anderson.

    The added cost of LOS on sales tax is the price of doing business in order to keep a billion dollar company (essentially) in town. If you don't like it, then move to a place that doesn't have a NFL franchise.

    I'm sorry that you don't want to enjoy the place, but the benefits of LOS far outweigh the bad.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  23. #20
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm aware of that. Another reason I didn't want LOS built.

    I'm assuming that Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, and Arrowhead Stadium didn't start out at 70,000+ seats with multiple rings of luxury boxes. Now, because of the dome, RCA Dome's seating capacity wouldn't be expandable in all likelihood. But the stadium could have been renovated to include more suites.
    Not that I disagree with the rest of your post but the above was inaccurate. Soldier Field originally had 74,000 seats back in 1926 and has hosted football games with upwards of 150,000 people.

    They actually reduced the number of seats back in 1971 to 57,000 for the Bears and then increased the capacity to 66,950 in 1981. When the Newly renovated Soldier Field was reopened in 2003 the number of seats was reduced again to 61,000 with 133 suites.

    Lambeu had a total seating capacity of 60,890 before their renovation and can hold 71,000 (Approx.) now. They had 198 suites and club level seats before their latest renovation.

    Both Soldier Field and Lambeau Field were renovated using public financing. Soldier Field was 100% financed with public funds. Lambeau used about 55% public financing.

    http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Gr...s/newindex.htm


    The RCA Dome could only hold 57,890 and had 104 suites but no club seating. It was a smaller arena than Lambeau and Soldier Field and although it was younger it had less suites than them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  24. #21

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Replacing the RCA dome with LOS also had a lot to do with the need to expand the convention center. It is not just about the Colts.

  25. #22
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,848

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After seeing a 3hr wait, just to get inside Hooters during the FF weekend, I have zero sympathy for anyone who complains about the cost of LOS to the city of Indianapolis.

    None. Not one single bit.

    The amount of revenue, just for that one weekend let alone all the other events that get held there, is HUGE. Absolutely massive.


    Does the average Indy resident benefit one iota from that revenue? I don't get any extra money in my pockets because of those events and neither do most other people. Sure it's nice for the waiters and the owners, but average Indy resident spends far more paying for the stadium via the 2% tax than they get in benefits from it.

    No one has a problem with the stadium itself. It's a beautiful stadium and is infinitely better than the RCA Dome. The problem many have with it is that it is maybe the most lopsided stadium deal in NFL history and was basically just a handout to a billionaire. That's what Indy is all about - fleecing the taxpayers when greedy billionaire's like the Simons or Irsay's throw a hissy fit. Indy is all about screwing the taxpayers so the well connected elite in this town can make out like bandits. The average joe doesn't get anything from this stuff.

    Irsay ended up paying 50 mil when all was said and done and the taxpayers footed the other 700 million. He uses the facility rent free, the taxpayers pay for maintenance, and he gets all revenues from non-Colts events. There is not a single other place in the country where you will find such a one-sided joke of a deal. It's not the stadium itself that ticks people off, it's that a greedy billionaire is making out like a bandit on the backs of taxpayers while only putting up a wussy 50 million of his own money for the deal. People have the right to be outraged. Bob Kraft put up like 300 million of his own money for Gillette stadium. Jerry Jones put up a big chunk of his fortune for the Cowboys stadium.

    If these stadiums were the huge money makers that they are made out to be, then why didn't Irsay put up more money? If the stadium makes the money we are led to believe, then Irsay would have invested more of his own money because he would have got it back in the long run, right? He wouldn't have needed to fleece the taxpayers. It's a joke. The whole stadium deal was set up so Irsay and the well-connected downtown elite with their nice six figure incomes could get even richer on the backs of the taxpayer.

    And it wasn't enough that Irsay was getting a stadium built on the backs of taxpayers. No, he had do demand a stupid retractable roof which is open one home game a year and was obviously completely unnecessary. But why wouldn't he demand it? It's easy to be greedy and reckless with money when it's the taxpayers and not your own. Since he gets all revenues from events at Lucas then he's obviously going to want the stadium to be as nice as it can possibly be.

    I'll never forget being at the Chiefs game last October when it was 80+ degrees with abundant sunshine as far as the eye could see. It was one of the warmest October days on record and there wasn't a cloud in sight. But the roof was closed. That one game in a nutshell describes the joke that the retractable roof is. A roof that cost about 75 million or roughly 10% of the stadium cost. That roof is downright criminal. And if you're going to spend all that money for a roof, at least spend a couple pennies more for a drainage system. If there's a chance that someone might spill a coke on the field then they won't open the roof.

    Indy is a place that will stop at nothing to screw taxpayers so billionaires like the Irsay's or Simons can stay rich. Meanwhile, the city has one of the worst school districts in the nation, miles and miles of dumpy decaying neighborhoods, parks that are closing, some of the worst roads I've ever seen (seriously, the roads in Indy have to be about the most beat up of any place in the nation. My car has got the hell beat out of it since moving there), and an awful murder/crime rate. There are better places to put this money than in the pockets of billionaires.

    There's this famous little place over at 16th and Georgetown that, to my knowledge, has never asked for an obscene taxpayer handout.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-27-2011 at 03:06 PM.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  27. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,759

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does the average Indy resident benefit one iota from that revenue? I don't get any extra money in my pockets because of those events and neither do most other people. Sure it's nice for the waiters and the owners, but average Indy resident spends far more paying for the stadium via the 2% tax than they get in benefits from it.
    Directly? No. But it boosts the whole area's economy. It makes it a more desireable place for relocating companies, etc.

    If you were in a field that provided a service, like hotels, resturants, bars, etc, then yes.

    For a back story....

    We went downtown for the saturday of FF weekend. We managed to get our way into Hooters without standing in line. A buddy and his family was already in who we were supposed to meet up with, so we just stood at their table and ordered drinks, and when a large table opened up (there was like 10 of us) we asked the waitress if we could just sit down and we would make sure she was compensated nicely for putting other people out. Yeah, I know not the nicest thing to do, but..... Anyways, we stayed there for almost 7 full hours. A few hours before tip, then stayed through half time of the Duke/WV game before we headed down to Cadillac Ranch.

    All in all for that one day, I ended up spending about $400. My tips at Hooters alone was about $50 (we ended up having two), let alone all the tips I gave out after I was completely smashed at the bar.

    I can only imagine how much waitresses made there that day. Or how much bartenders made. It had to be incredible.

    While it might not have helped you directly, it helps the overall area's economy, and the workers that work services utilized by visitors.

    Sure, that's only one weekend. But then combine in the fact that more fans get to go downtown to actually attend the games on Sundays, all the concerts that they hold there (Kenny Chesney has an all day concert with like 5-6 other acts) all the conventions, and once again Indy gets the FF once every 5 years.

    LOS is worth every penny.

  28. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,848

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Directly? No. But it boosts the whole area's economy. It makes it a more desireable place for relocating companies, etc.

    If you were in a field that provided a service, like hotels, resturants, bars, etc, then yes.

    For a back story....

    We went downtown for the saturday of FF weekend. We managed to get our way into Hooters without standing in line. A buddy and his family was already in who we were supposed to meet up with, so we just stood at their table and ordered drinks, and when a large table opened up (there was like 10 of us) we asked the waitress if we could just sit down and we would make sure she was compensated nicely for putting other people out. Yeah, I know not the nicest thing to do, but..... Anyways, we stayed there for almost 7 full hours. A few hours before tip, then stayed through half time of the Duke/WV game before we headed down to Cadillac Ranch.

    All in all for that one day, I ended up spending about $400. My tips at Hooters alone was about $50 (we ended up having two), let alone all the tips I gave out after I was completely smashed at the bar.

    I can only imagine how much waitresses made there that day. Or how much bartenders made. It had to be incredible.

    While it might not have helped you directly, it helps the overall area's economy, and the workers that work services utilized by visitors.

    Sure, that's only one weekend. But then combine in the fact that more fans get to go downtown to actually attend the games on Sundays, all the concerts that they hold there (Kenny Chesney has an all day concert with like 5-6 other acts) all the conventions, and once again Indy gets the FF once every 5 years.

    LOS is worth every penny.

    Oh, I definitely agree that a lot of people are helped by it, particularly in those big events. No doubt that there are a lot of people who are cleaning up during those big events. Though I still think that the average Indy resident spends more paying for it via the 2% tax than they receive from stadium benefits.

    But the Final Four would have still been here had we kept the Dome. Like Eindar said, it wasn't going anywhere given that the NCAA headquarters are here.

    I'm glad the stadium was built. I'd rather there be a LOS than no LOS. My main problem is that our billionaire owner held the city hostage and made out like a complete thief. Seriously, it's maybe the most lopsided deal stadium deal in American professional sports. Irsay should have put up more than 50 million dollars which is virtually nothing when the stadium cost 750 million (it's like 6% of the stadium cost). To put it in perspective, the roof cost more than Irsay's contribution was worth.

    Indy residents have a right to be outraged at how this went down. It's not that people are anti-stadium (it's hard not to like that palace), it's that people are anti-fleecing the taxpayers so a cheap billionaire sports owner can make out like a complete bandit. Irsay gets all the revenues, uses the place rent-free, and doesn't pay for maintenance. Had he put up more money, he would have made it back in the long term anyway given that sweet deal. Instead, he gets even richer.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-27-2011 at 03:47 PM.

  29. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,522

    Default Re: Tony Kornheiser vs Jim Irsay

    A quick fact check here... I thought the city DOES get a share of money from events in LOS and that it's only the Pacers that get ALL of the revenue generated in their stadium? Is that wrong? Have I forgotten something?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Similar Threads

  1. Colts' Irsay on Manning talks: Deal already should be done
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
  2. Aaron Rodgers slams Tony Kornheiser and other ESPN employees
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
  3. Forbes.com article about Jim Irsay.
    By Putnam in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 04:25 PM
  4. 03/23/2005 Game Thread: Pacers vs Spurs
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 02:29 AM
  5. OT I'm going to miss The Tony Kornheiser Show
    By Southside_Pacer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •