Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vogel to only get 1 year contract?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Vogel to only get 1 year contract?

Vogel leads Pacers race

In Indiana, the seat that is technically vacant is likely to be occupied by Frank Vogel next season as well. According to a source close to that process, the final decision has not been made but the odds are good that the interim coach is given a one-year deal.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1MdVqYfIM

1 year deal? I though Bird didnt like the "lame duck" coach? If true I dont understand this move and how the players will respond

Maybe putting the team in position to sell?

Sittin on top of the world!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel to only get 1 year contract?

I don't view it as lame duck, I view it as giving Frank a 1-year opportunity to show what he can do, and it would be really unwise for Frank to be lame, lol...

Been saying for a few days now I prefer a 1-year or a "rookie contract"-like deal with options to opt out of further years if things just don't work out.

That said, if this is true, I hope and believe that Frank will earn himself a healthy extension.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe 1 year with team options for the next 2 years?
    Pacers,baby!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I doubt Vogel would get a multi-year deal from anyone, so it makes sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

this has already been posted

I posted my comments on this over the weekend

If the pacers only offer him a 1 year deal that is insulting, and a terrible decision. One of the worst since I've been following the Pacers. Might as well keep the interim tag

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If the pacers only offer him a 1 year deal that is insulting, and a terrible decision. One of the worst since I've been following the Pacers. Might as well keep the interim tag
    Couldn't agree more Buck

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I don't think it's insulting, and I don't think it's a terrible decision. He's unproven.

I bet it ends up being a 2-3 year, with options, anyway...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I think a 1-year deal for Vogel would be ideal for us. Think of it as an extended evaluation period.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think a 1-year deal for Vogel would be ideal for us. Think of it as an extended evaluation period.

Maybe it's ideal for us, but it's insulting to him.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really? Vogel got a rare opportunity to stand in interim for an NBA head coach, and possibly turned it into a 1-year evaluation period and a chance to earn himself even further commitments in the future doing what he loves when historically speaking, interim coaches don't often get called back the next year. I'd say he's probly ecstatic with how things have turned out. I doubt he's like "man this is bullsh*t..." NO one gave this guy a long-term chance when it was announced he would be interim coach in January. I'd say it's worked out well for him.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Personally I think the NBA needs to get away from giving contracts to non-player. There really isn't much reason for non-players to have a contract anyways.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Do we think the team as currently constituted or with minor changes has to move forward, or is it OK to risk staying the same or even taking a step back over what remains of the next season after the lockout?

If the latter, then you are OK with an unproven coach.

If the former, you need a proven coach, and if you don't think Vogel is proven enough to get a full contract then you need to grab one of the other coaches on the market.

While there is INTENTION to improve the player end, the COACH is being decided right now, without any guarantee we get more than just a different mix of young players.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Do we think the team as currently constituted or with minor changes has to move forward, or is it OK to risk staying the same or even taking a step back over what remains of the next season after the lockout?

If the latter, then you are OK with an unproven coach.
    How can it be assumed that because we go with an unproven guy and a 1-year contract that we'll "risk staying the same or even taking a step back over what remains of the next season after the lockout"? You risk that with even a proven coach. JOB was "proven", for an example. You could just as easily assume that Vogel becomes Coach of the Year and we win a championship. There's absolutely nothing guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    If the former, you need a proven coach, and if you don't think Vogel is proven enough to get a full contract then you need to grab one of the other coaches on the market.
    See, I just disagree with this mentality. It's not about the years on the contract. It's about his past experience. It's saying "You show a lot of promise, but you have a 40-game coaching career, and we just wanna make sure you keep this up. All indications point to yes, but you never know." And if he does, then you extend him.

It's a smart business decision, I firmly believe that. I don't see it as sending a negative signal at all, which is what I'm getting from some of the posts on here. Throwing him a 3-4 year deal with some guarantees just to "send a signal" is what I would call an unwise emotional business decision based off a relatively short run of success and a Stupid Human Trick.

If the short run turns into a season and half of "smashmouth basketball" and .500+ record and another playoff run, then you can say alright, let's give this guy some more commitments, he's officially legit.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-17-2011 at 03:53 PM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;1236483]

Maybe putting the team in position to sell? QUOTE]

I'm a fim believer that's going to happen within the next 2 years.

2 year deal at a lower salary, then you could eat the last year if things fell apart. The cost would likely be less than bringing in a vet coach.

I don't want to lose another year with this group. I feel like Roy, JMac, Tyler all had their growth stunted by the previous regime. Now I'm not sure if that means Vogel is good cuz he'll play them or he's bad cuz he might not be the surer thing choice.

Conversely, if Bird is going to flip some of these youngsters with potential for proven vets, I'd probably rather have a vet coach like Adelman.

If Vogel gets a 1 year deal, then my feeling is Bird and Morway with 1 year deals means a FO cleaning after the season. Either Herb wants a different FO going forward after the lockout season, or the setting up for an ownership change.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Orrr.... they just don't wanna give a 3-4 year deal to a guy who has a 40-game coaching career. This is an organization that believes in "handshake" working arrangements, after all....

That's reading a little bit too much into something, imo... I don't think Simon is looking to move the team, personally. I think he's looking to make it profitable again, by making it successful again. Just looking at his situation, it doesn't line up. The Pacers aren't his main source of revenue... he lives here... he's always been loyal to this city and state... and there's reasons to believe the Pacers will see more success next year.

I don't have a problem with the one-year deal. I understand it brings up issues of whether or not they believe in him, but it is his first coaching contract. Maybe a one-year with team options deal would be nice, if those are possible for coaches.

Can anyone name the last NBA coach to get a 1 year deal (as their first contract)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

First thing I found was Silas in Charlotte. Not his first contract ever, but it did follow being an interm coach there.

Today, his wish comes true. The Bobcats announced that Silas has had the interim tag removed from his title, and he will be back as coach next year. Silas signed a one-year deal.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...#ixzz1Mdv0pKDB
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...silas-contract

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This would be such a horrible idea. How about you just go around and tell each player one on one you do not really have much confidence in your potential head coach to get the job done.

A one year deal could really backfire on us as well. Lets say he does sign a one year deal and then has this team take another step forward and we actually get the 5th or 6th seed or even win a series. Then there will be numerous opportunities that open up next year and if Vogel proves himself again then he will be at the top of their lists. Then we are stuck in a bidding war with other teams. If he then goes to another team we just screwed our self out of a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    First thing I found was Silas in Charlotte. Not his first contract ever, but it did follow being an interm coach there.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...silas-contract

OK, but he is about 80 years old, and isn't planning on coaching too much longer

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This would be such a horrible idea. How about you just go around and tell each player one on one you do not really have much confidence in your potential head coach to get the job done.
    That would be unwise and totally incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    A one year deal could really backfire on us as well. Lets say he does sign a one year deal and then has this team take another step forward and we actually get the 5th or 6th seed or even win a series. Then there will be numerous opportunities that open up next year and if Vogel proves himself again then he will be at the top of their lists. Then we are stuck in a bidding war with other teams. If he then goes to another team we just screwed our self out of a good coach.
    I could see this happening. All depends on how well Vogel does this year.

[QUOTE=Justin Tyme;1236525]
    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

Maybe putting the team in position to sell? QUOTE]

I'm a fim believer that's going to happen within the next 2 years.

Unfortunatley, me as well

I just pray they stay in Indianapolis