Thread: Blazers offer Rasheed Wallace a Contract Extension, WTF???

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Blazers offer Rasheed Wallace a Contract Extension, WTF???

I heard on ESPNEWS that they actually offered him a 3 or 4 year contract worth 30-40 million dollars over the contract, according to David Aldridge. I thought they actually wanted to trade him, guess not unless it's somebody else's demand to take him back in a trade ala Dale Davis...I absolutely shocked by this though.

If I'm Sheed I take it in a heart beat. He's NOT getting 8-10 million per year in the free agent market, maybe slightely more than the MLE.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Default Re: Blazers offer Rasheed Wallace a Contract Extension, WTF???

sounds like the players arn't the only ones smokin the reefer in portland

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Portland has got to be insane.

Is kind of odd. Isiah probably tried to strong arm Portland by saying Wallace would sign with NY during the Summer for the mid-level exception. This is their responce.

Mood

Geez. Just listening to SportCenter, and you tell me what's crazier?

The fact that Portland offered him this extension?

Or maybe the fact that the word out of Portland is he turned it down??

Rumors have been flying around here for weeks, but I would not believe them.

Unless Rasheed, his agent, John Nash, or Steve Patterson say it, I put little credibility in it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless Rasheed, his agent, John Nash, or Steve Patterson say it, I put little credibility in it.

What rumor? That it wasoffered or that it was turned down? Is mgmnt just setting up the justification for trading him (as if that's needed)?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Every time a writer comes up with a trade they can sell, they have been printing it.

Management has been holding out for the best deal. They were trying to sell Rasheed as one of the ten best during the offseason and got some horrible offers. Nash has tried to get the idea out of other GM's minds that a fire sale is not going to happen and this may be another effort.

They made a pledge to fans to improve the image of the team, so I doubt they would have made that type of offer without having a trade lined up to immediately follow it. I sincerely doubt Rasheed would turn down that type of offer. Gary Payton proved that star players might have to settle for the MLE if they cannot play the game of negotiation.

Gary Payton proved that star players might have to settle for the MLE if they cannot play the game of negotiation.
    you make it sound like GP was forced to signing with the lakers for peanuts. That's not true, he got large offers from Milwaukee and the Pacers. He chose to ride the LA bandwagon over the big contract. It wasnt like he settled for it.

NE way I bet GP wishes he could do that offseason over again :P

What is the source on the Pacer and Buck offers?

I know he demanded a huge contract from the Blazers and was denied. Not for sure why the Blazers were a more desirable destination over Indy.

What is the source on the Pacer and Buck offers?

I know he demanded a huge contract from the Blazers and was denied. Not for sure why the Blazers were a more desirable destination over Indy.
    I have no idea where to look for sources, this was all last summer, but I'm sure some people here can vouch for the fact.

The only way Indiana could have offered Gary Payton decent money was to do a sign and trade with Milwaukee.

The funny thing is I watched that same report last night and they did a review of what IT's options would be to trade for Sheed and one of the options they had listed was hew coud give up a couple players and on the list was AL HARRINGTON HAHAHA...Another classic ESPN mistake, and it was even listed on a screen they put up. I believe they were referring to Othello Harrington, but...I still laughed when I saw it.

Banned

Blazer President Steve Patterson said this morning on the radio that there was nothing to this, and that it was probably just Wallace's agent starting rumors to try to boost his trade value.