Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwayne Casey

Default Dwayne Casey

According to this link, Dwayne Casey is a candidate for our coaching job. I for one am a fan of his, does anyone else like the idea of having him as coach?

Mood

Default Re: Dwayne Casey

His name is just Dwane, not Dwayne, btw.

As for liking him, well, I don't dislike him. Don't really know a lot about him. I know when he was the T-Wolves coach, they fired him in year 2 when they were "only" .500, and then the team went down the drain after that. I know he's Rick Carlisle's latest defensive coach, which definitely counts for something.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'd take him over Mike Brown any day, that's for sure. I would probably take him over Vogel, too, because he strikes me as a better coach.

EDIT: thanks for the spelling correction

Mood

What do you know about him that makes you like him so much?

ill be fine with him as head coach, just as long as its not the overrated guy(Mike Brown).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If those are our three candidates, here's how I see them.

Vogel: inside track on the job, knows the players and has their respect. I think that goes a long way. He's not afraid of anyone, and seems to understand how to scheme and gameplan and manage during a game. Of course, being such a new coach, he has to prove himself if he gets the job.

Casey: I know basically nothing about him other than he's coming from Carlisle, which gives him some appeal to me. I always thought Carlisle was a good coach. And if Casey would bring defense like Carlisle brought to the Pacers, I'd love him. But, he's an unknown quantity. He'd have to prove himself.

Brown: What Brown has going for him is that his record is impressive and he has gained a lot of attention. I think hiring Brown would make the biggest splash and draw the most attention from the casual fans. That's obviously not the main focus, but I do think it weighs on the minds of the FO. Brown also brings with him the questions of whether or not he's a good coach, or if Lebron made that team entirely. So, Brown would have to prove himself as well.

My vote is still with #teamvogel.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

With all this interest in him for team's head coaching vacancy for the past 2 years, I guess he's been an effective assistant for Dallas.

I don't know enough about Casey to campaign for him as my coach, and I still prefer Vogel the most with Brown in 2nd.

Vogel
    Brown
    Casey/Anyone else

That'd be my preferred order of coaches.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i still can't believe some people don't know mike brown was our assistant coach from 2003-5 under rick. he shouldn't be counted as an unfamiliar face at all.
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 05-16-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he was able to keep that crappy Minnesota roster at .500, he can't be too bad.

I thought he was done wrong in Minnesota. He's a very good coach IMO. There were some reports out of Minnesota though that he was not tough enough on his players, but from what I recall the players really liked him and he's excellent at X's and O's.

I'd be fine if he were the Pacers coach.

All of the three coaches mentioned most frequently for the job have question marks primarily because none of them have long track records as head coaches, although Brown obviously has the most experience in the big chair.

Dwane Casey:

I did go to NBA.com to look at Casey's bio (From the Mavs page.).

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dwane_c....html?nav=page

In his case, his overall record is unimpressive, but look at who he was coaching. Still leaves you with questions.

He was an assistant under "Cheatin' Eddie" Sutton at UK, and an assistant at Seattle for eleven years (Anyone know their record during that time?), but other than that he spent a lot of time in Japan. Who knows how that went.

Mike Brown:

Yes he has a very good won-loss record at Cleveland, but he had James on the roster. We've seen how taking James away from that team has changed their record this year, and it certainly wasn't because Byron Scott can't coach. So, again we are left with questions about his HC abilities without a star.

Frank Vogel:

Thirty-Eight games plus a playoff experience just isn't a lot to go on. I know all of us were more pleased with the teams performance under him than under the previous coach, but it is still such a small frame of reference that there are questions left unanswered.

For my money (And, of course it isn't my money.) if you are going to choose between these three, some weight has to be given to the monetary side of the equation. Vogel would likely be the least expensive of the bunch.

I guess I would be happier if there were some candidates with more proven, longer term track records without the aid of a star player. Adelman, Sloan and even Mike Woodson come to mind. Yes each of them have coached some very good players that aided their career records, but none of them had a Bryant, James, Shaq sort of franchise changing player to work with.

All in all, I guess that is just a long, drawn out way of saying I'm not sure what the heck they should do!
    Last edited by Tom White; 05-17-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Casey is the guy I want. He would be a much better fit than Vogel because he has had so much more experience. If he turned that T-Wolves team into a .500 ball club imagine what he could with a Pacers roster who is fresh off a season where they made the playoffs. If Casey doesn't get this job I'll be extremely p!ssed.

Can someone start a facebook page to petition for Casey as our coach?

#teamcasey
    Last edited by I Love P; 05-17-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: misspelled
    Here we come lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Brown:

Yes he has a very good won-loss record at Cleveland, but he had James on the roster. We've seen how taking James away from that team has changed their record this year, and it certainly wasn't because Byron Scott can't coach. So, again we are left with questions about his HC abilities without a star.
    Let me turn this around. What if the Cavs had a really good record this year - what if they had won 44 games. Would that have shed any light on Mike Brown's coaching?

Or maybe we can never determine Brown's coaching because he coached lebron?

I'm just trying to figure out exactly what you are saying

Banned

Casey's claim to fame seems to be that he went 20-20 in his second year in Minnesota before being fired. Of course, he was 33-49 the previous season, for a total of 53-69. This with KG on his roster. Not that impressive, even if the supporting cast was weak.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Casey is a legitimate possibility. He has been sought after for the past 2-3 seasons and could be a good head coach. I wouldn't be opposed to having him as the next Pacers head coach.

I don't think this would be a splashy hire though. I think Mike Brown would be the best choice to generate some national and local interest unless Rick Adelman or Jerry Sloan would be interested (I think one of those 2 coaches will wind up coaching the Lakers).

Mike Brown was the top assistant with the Spurs and Pacers before getting his chance with the Cavs. He gets a ton of credit for the success he's had at each stop and shouldn't have been fired by the Cavs, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Let me turn this around. What if the Cavs had a really good record this year - what if they had won 44 games. Would that have shed any light on Mike Brown's coaching?

I think it's really difficult to judge Brown because he had LeBron, but at least we can look at how much better he made Cleveland when he took over for Silas. They were almost instantly better and respectable.

Mood

This. A guy as talented as Lebron can make an average coach look like a COY because through the regular season pure, natural talent wins a lot of games. The playoffs are when teams and coaches are really tested and proven. That's why Phil Jackson, even with MJ and Kobe, is still regarded so highly. Because Jackson's teams always played their best on the biggest stage.

Winning 60 regular season games with Lebron "shouldn't" be very difficult, and so it "isn't" very impressive.

The question is obviously that since we don't have a Lebron/Kobe/DWade type of player, is Mike Brown going to be an effective head coach for us?
    We don't know because all we have about him is his time with Lebron.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

OK, but can we judge Brown on the defense the Cavs played.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of the names available, my first choice is Vogel. My next choices would be Adelman or Brown. Both of those guys are intriguing. I love Sloan, too, but I really don't think he's available to us... the dude is so friggin old. If he did come back, it'd probly be with an established team like the Lakers. But, I doubt he gets back into it.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

You're still trying to figure out what I'm saying? Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm saying!

No, I just don't know of a way to calculate how much of that team's success was due to Brown's coaching, or the presence of James on the team. I think if, for instance, Brown had taken over a good team this year, that did not have a "star" but had a consistent roster from previous years, we could then see if he helped that team improve, or whether there was a decline in the teams' record. With his entire resume consisting of the James years in Cleveland, it is tough for me to evaluate him.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think it's really difficult to judge Brown because he had LeBron, but at least we can look at how much better he made Cleveland when he took over for Silas. They were almost instantly better and respectable.
    OK, now see this is what I didn't remember. That helps out a bunch. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    He was an assistant under "Cheatin' Eddie" Sutton at UK
    More than that, it was his name on the envelope of cash sent to a recruit that almost got Kentucky the death penalty.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

27. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post: