Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Western Conference Finals: (3) Dallas vs. (4) Oklahoma City

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2011 Western Conference Finals: (3) Dallas vs. (4) Oklahoma City

I don't think "experience" matters too much. Chicago has zero experience and they might beat Miami, a team that has two superstars who have been to the Finals.

What are the Mavs going to do about Westbrook? The two PG's they have played against this postseason are Andre Miller and Derek Fisher, two old guys. How is Kidd going to keep up with Westbrook? If Westbrook plays smart then he should have a field day against them.

Durant and Dirk cancel each other out I think, and Westbrook is the third best player in this series. Thunder in 6.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Miami as a team has less experience than Chicago. Having two individuals who have been to the finals is not the same thing as going through even one round as a team.

If the game was decided by who the 2nd best player on the court was, Dallas wouldn't still be playing, and Miami would win every playoff game for the next 5 years. The game isn't that simple.

I don't believe Wesbtrook is ready for this yet. He's far too inconsistent. No the Mavs have nobody that can keep up with him one on one, but this isn't a gus macker tournament.

OKC has to match up with all of Dallas's weapons, and they don't have nearly the depth. Harden, Cook, Maynor and and Sepholosha do not come close to Barea, Terry, Peja and Marion.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.

[QUOTE=Kstat;1235835]....so Kobe couldn't exploit his mismatch, but Westbrook and Durant Will?

Maybe, just maybe, Dallas is a better defensive team than you realize?
    QUOTE]

Kobe was completely gassed. The injuries, 15 years in the league, three Finals runs with an Olympics stuck in there....all of that finally caught up with him. I give Dallas' D credit, but Westbrook and Durant have younger legs and will be much fresher than Kobe was.

They also aren't as playoff tested as Kobe was.

Over 7 games, young legs give way to experience. Dallas can control the tempo of a game. OKC has trouble with it because their point guard is so bipolar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Miami as a team has less experience than Chicago. Having two individuals who have been to the finals is not the same thing as going through even one round as a team.

If the game was decided by who the 2nd best player on the court was, Dallas wouldn't still be playing, and Miami would win every playoff game for the next 5 years. The game isn't that simple.

I didn't say the game was that simple. But again, tell me, how is Dallas going to stop Westbrook? He's a bit more spry than Andre Miller or Derek Fisher.

Dallas' experience is something that's being trumpeted in this thread. They have what, two players who were on the 2006 Finals team (Dirk and Terry)? That's about as relevant as the Heat's two best players having been to the Finals in the past.

I don't think they can stop Westbrook. I also don't think they necessarily have to. He's not good enough to beat an entire team by himself. He can be OKC's biggest liability just as often as he can be their biggest strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Dallas' experience is something that's being trumpeted in this thread. They have what, two players who were on the 2006 Finals team (Dirk and Terry)? That's about as relevant as the Heat's two best players having been to the Finals in the past.
    Dallas has been in the playoffs together for a while now. Even the newest members of their roster have been through it for a year already. Kidd is the floor general of that team, and he's in year #4.

What impresses me about the Mavs is that they cannot be rushed. They will play at their own pace, hell or high water. They are going to run their stuff and make you play defense. OKC just doesn't have that level of maturity, which is why they struggled so much against Memphis, despite matching up extremely well. One game they look like the best team in the NBA, and the next Westbrook is hoisting 30 shots and freezing out the NBA's scoring champ.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Dallas in 6. Dirk > Durant. Westbrook is the third best player in the series, but i just don't see him carrying OKC to the finals. He is still a young player, and he isn't on the level of a Derrick Rose. If Dallas is hitting their 3's, good luck beating them. Similar to Orlando in 2009. Also, Dallas having home court is huge.

They also aren't as playoff tested as Kobe was.

Over 7 games, young legs give way to experience. Dallas can control the tempo of a game. OKC has trouble with it because their point guard is so bipolar.

The Thunder in their first playoff series ever were a Gasol tip in away from forcing a game 7 against the defending champion Lakers.

They have now won two playoff series this year, including a grueling 7 game series against the Grizzlies. So I think they are quickly learning in the "experience" department.

Westbrook is bipolar, but IF he plays like he did yesterday than I think it's the Thunder who control the tempo.

It's going to be a great series, that's for sure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The Thunder in their first playoff series ever were a Gasol tip in away from forcing a game 7 against the defending champion Lakers.
    ...they had control of that game never should have let it come to that. That's what I'm talking about.

Westbrook is bipolar, but IF he plays like he did yesterday than I think it's the Thunder who control the tempo.
    Agreed, but the chances of him completely changing his stripes are slim to none. He's never been a consistent floor leader. Aside from a handful of hall of fame point guards, nobody is mature enough to be that composed at age 22. Jason Kidd didn't grasp it until he was almost 30.

I don't think Kidd is anywhere near as gifted as Westbrook at this point, but I know Kidd is going to make sure the ball goes where it needs to go every time down the court. It's pretty obvious Westbrook still has to learn that lesson.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-16-2011 at 02:07 PM.

I think the series goes 7. The questions, for me, that will decide the series are all revolve around the Thunder.

Which Westbrook is going to show up?
    How healthy will Ibaka be?
    Is KD going to be a little more consistant with his shot? (which directly relates to question 1 IMHO)

It does come down to experience, but at some point in time the light switch is going to be turned to the on position for OKC. There's no reason why it can't happen this series, considering how last year played out and how this year as gone so far.

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see it remain in the off position for another year.

Which ever the case, I still think the series goes 7. OKC has too much talent.

...they had control of that game never should have let it come to that. That's what I'm talking about.

Well yeah, but that was their first series ever. Don't you think the two series this year - especially the grueling 7 gamer against the Grizz - taught them a few lessons that they didn't know 13 months ago?

Yeah, but it's a learning process. Even Jordan's Bulls had to wait a few years to win a playoff series, and after that had to wait a few more to finally beat the Pistons. It's not like there's only one hurdle to climb.

I think going to 7 with Memphis emphasized their lack of maturity. They had every conceivable advantage, and it took them 7 games to decide how they wanted to defend Memphis's only rally dangerous offensive threat. OKC played 7 different games 7 different ways. There was just no consistency with what they were trying to accomplish. I don't see that working against Dallas.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-16-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Well yeah, but that was their first series ever. Don't you think the two series this year - especially the grueling 7 gamer against the Grizz - taught them a few lessons that they didn't know 13 months ago?
    Along with the acquisition of Kendrick Perkins, who kept telling them they haven't won anything yet.

His pickup was huge, IMHO. Completely changed the dynamics of two teams.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Dutch Pacers Fan

I totally love this series, am looking so much forward to it. You get 2 good defensive centers go head-to-head, Perkins and Chandler. It'll be interesting to see who can step up in more than one side of the ball.

The other difference, will be Dirk more effective against Ibaka than Durant will be against Marion?

Will Westbrook be consistent enough slowing down Kidd/Barea-playmaking to make up for the combination of Terry/Stevenson/Peja outplaying Harden/Sefalosha?

I just don't know what it will be, my gut feeling says Dallas, but Durant can make a name for himself. I think he will, OKC in 7!
    yay, we're going back to the play-offs!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mavs in 7. They have the veteran experience and home court advantage.

I'm looking at Dirk's stats right now and it's just amazing what he's been doing for 10 plus years.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...nowitdi01.html

Look at his run from 00-01 to present. Averages in the mid 20's every year for the most part. Plays in virtually every game. Since 00-01 they have never won less than 50 games which is absolutely incredible. That is an insane run of sustained excellence that Dirk has been the center piece of.

If this guy wins a championship this year then that would be the icing on the cake of an absolutely incredible career. As much as I love the young Thunder, I am sort of rooting for Dirk since he's 33 and might not have another opportunity like this.

I think one of that greatest what-if's of all time is what if Cuban didn't decide to get cheap with Steve Nash? Spending money on Dampier instead of Nash was a huge misfire. If Dirk and Nash had played the past 7 years together then they would have won a ring at some point, no question about it.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-16-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Dallas is deep and consistent and when the Thunder play poorly they play reaaaally poorly. I think OKC will lead in every game, blow out Dallas twice, but lose the series in 7.

GO MAVS! DIRK NEEDS A RING! Sorry, but he's my favorite player of the last decade. Why? Because he's a great player, but not a dazzling athlete, not flashy, and not a prima donna.

However, if the Dallas goes down, I'll undoubtedly be pulling for OKC. I like them, too, and I sure as hell don't want Chicago or Miami.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I think it would be entertaining to see Westbrook and Rose go at it in the finals.

I expect the Bulls will beat Miami, however I haven't seen the Mavs play enough to predict the WCF.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dallas in 6 or 7. They know who they are, the Thunder still figuring it out.

Ofc, I'm sticking with my Dallas over Heat finals prediction.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope it's Dallas/Chicago in the Finals, because I want the Mavs to win it all and I don't think they can beat Miami.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Double Ts already.

Banned

The said on PTI that the Celtics were asking for Harden for Perkins but someway somehow they ended up with Green.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

My goodness Dirk is unreal.

So is Durant.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 05-17-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The said on PTI that the Celtics were asking for Harden for Perkins but someway somehow they ended up with Green.

Sick, what a classic case of settling that was. I'd much rather have Harden, so it's easy to see why the Cs felt the same.