View Poll Results: Will Danny be better next year?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 48.91%
  • No

47 51.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

I'm probly in the minority that thinks Granger has been pretty much at the same plateau for the past 3 years, and didn't have near the drop-off this year that most on here seem to think. I don't think his defense is near as bad as everyone thinks. I honestly think he's a victim of expectations and a system that was poor under JOB.

He's a very good player. He's Danny Granger.. he's not Paul Pierce, because Paul Pierce is Paul Pierce, and Danny Granger is Danny Granger. You can argue all day who's the better player, I honestly feel Pierce is the better player, but that doesn't make Granger a bad player. He's just a player with a different skillset, on a team that is not the Boston Celtics.

He's been mostly consistent since he's been here, exceeded expectations when we drafted him, been forced to be the face of this franchise when he's honestly probly not built for that, and mostly handled it admirably. He's also represented the USA. He's not ridiculously expensive. He's not that old. What's not to like? I think mostly Pacer fans have become overly critical unnecessarily and unfairly.

So that said... back to the thread title, will he be significantly better? Probly not. He's probly going to be the same. He's going to be a damn good player for us. It's the *rest of the team* that needs to improve.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-17-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't everyone agree that Paul Pierce became a much better defender after the KG and Allen trades?
    Sure. And Ray Allen did too btw.
    PP also got into the best shape of his life after those trades, afaik.

But KG and Ray Allen are not your ordinary additions. They are maniacal each in their own way. Ray Allen when it comes to diet and regime and body shape, KG when it comes to D effort.

I think add Pau Gasol and Monta Ellis in place of those two, Paul Pierce doesn't make that huge change.
    I wouldn't expect us to find anywhere near the culture changing players as KG/Allen this offseason.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Danny Granger is not Paul Pierce, not even close.
    No one would have said Paul Pierce was Paul Pierce before those trades happened.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No one would have said Paul Pierce was Paul Pierce before those trades happened.
    Mmm.. IDK.. He was a good finisher before they came along. Him and Antoine Walker used to kill people with their 3 pt shooting. Pierce is of course better with them than before, who wouldn't be? But I would definitely pick Pierce over Granger if i was doing a draft and it was between those.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Mmm.. IDK.. He was a good finisher before they came along. Him and Antoine Walker used to kill people with their 3 pt shooting. Pierce is of course better with them than before, who wouldn't be? But I would definitely pick Pierce over Granger if i was doing a draft and it was between those.
    I woudn't. I don't see how Pierce is any better than Granger, likewise I don't see how Granger is better than Pierce. I would have to go with Granger by default.

It really isn't that hard to see Granger being a much better player next year. It isn't physical ability or skill that it holding Granger back, it is mental. It is about giving a consistent effort and playing smarter. If all Granger did was take better shots and not try to do too much by himself he would immediately be a much better player, and I could see him average 25 ppg again.

Mood

Sports Logo

For some reason, I voted yes. When you bring good players together, they tend to get better according to certain strengths and weaknesses. As long as the young players continue to get better, and quality players are brought in this offseason, I think Danny will have no choice but to get better, whether in skill, attitude, or whatever. His only other choice is to stay the same, or get worse, and he'll turn into a vital piece of a future blockbuster trade.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I voted yes under the assumption Bird goes out a gets us a legitimate scorer who'll take some of the pressure off Granger, giving him some open looks and defensive mismatches. If Bird doesn't do that, my vote changes to a "no"; I just don't think Granger has the ability to create his own shot and put a team on his back.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I'm probly in the minority that thinks Granger has been pretty much at the same plateau for the past 3 years, and didn't have near the drop-off this year that most on here seem to think. I don't think his defense is near as bad as everyone thinks. I honestly think he's a victim of expectations and a system that was poor under JOB.

He's a very good player. He's Danny Granger.. he's not Paul Pierce, because Paul Pierce is Paul Pierce, and Danny Granger is Danny Granger. You can argue all day who's the better player, I honestly feel Pierce is the better player, but that doesn't make Granger a bad player. He's just a player with a different skillset, on a team that is not the Boston Celtics.

He's been mostly consistent since he's been here, exceeded expectations when we drafted him, been forced to be the face of this franchise when he's honestly probly not built for that, and mostly handled it admirably. He's also represented the USA. He's not ridiculously expensive. He's not that old. What's not to like? I think mostly Pacer fans have become overly critical unnecessarily and unfairly.

So that said... back to the thread title, will he be significantly better? Probly not. He's probly going to be the same. He's going to be a damn good player for us. It's the *rest of the team* that needs to improve.
    This is an extremely good post. Danny deserves praise for what he has done and respect as well. He has represented this franchise very, very well and I have not a single issue with him on that front. One criticism I think is legit is that Danny's defense has not looked good for some time. There's a reason Iggy took his spot on the all-star team and it's not because Iggy is a better shooter. Paul George and Brandon Rush are both much better as well. You have to ask who Danny can guard at a high level and I cannot answer that question. He is not a PF and he does not defend the wing at a high level.