View Poll Results: Will Danny be better next year?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 48.91%
  • No

47 51.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

I think so, but i don't know if it'll be "significantly". Danny did show me a few things (what I would call 'MAN' plays) in the playoffs. See if he can bring that along an 82 (hopefully) game season. Better players will help as always too.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think so, but i don't know if it'll be "significantly". Danny did show me a few things (what I would call 'MAN' plays) in the playoffs. See if he can bring that along an 82 (hopefully) game season. Better players will help as always too.
    I agree, very respectable job! every stat improved except 3P% during playoff run.
    I knew he would come around as I mentioned in a different thread. It's hard to maintain great play night in night out during 82 game seasons. Especially with all the bad and young talent he has had for teamates. All the greats have their slumps even with great team support.

Way to go Danny! Keep it up!

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2760/danny-granger

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No. I think by this time, you have what you have. He could improve defensively, but is that "significant"?
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    No. I think by this time, you have what you have. He could improve defensively, but is that "significant"?
    Absolutely.

If Danny puts up his playoff numbers (21ppg on a good percentage) while playing solid defense? That would be fantastic. I'd be more than thrilled with that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Danny's putting up 21 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, with only 1 turnover per game while shooting 48%ish from the field and playing solid D, it'd be the best season of his career since his MIP year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

If he is willing to give full effort defensively he'll be a significantly better player.

So I voted no.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

No. There is nothing that suggests he will become a better player.

I voted yes because I believe a player can still improve at age 27. Personally I think the coach and the scheme will make Danny a better player next year and I think he's finally hungry for more success now that the playoff drought is gone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I voted yes because I believe a player can still improve at age 27. Personally I think the coach and the scheme will make Danny a better player next year and I think he's finally hungry for more success now that the playoff drought is gone.
    Danny is 28

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Danny is 28
    Thanks, Same applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Danny's putting up 21 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, with only 1 turnover per game while shooting 48%ish from the field and playing solid D, it'd be the best season of his career since his MIP year.
    Do you think it's unrealistic to hope/expect that from Danny?

I know Mackey's answer, but this is one of the few situations where I disagree with him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think from an intangible standpoint yes. From an ability standpoint, probably not. He could average 18 a game next year and be significantly better, just depends how he does it.

If the poll said can Danny be significantly improved in leadership and defense, I'd say he can.

If the poll said will his numbers improve significantly, I'd say no.

Statistatically speaking, I'm more concerned with his rebounding, FG and 3p % go up, along with assists and 4th quarter efficiency.

Danny is a huge key to what happens next year, I think most think that a franchise/max player is going to arrive this year. I honestly don't think that is happening. So Danny has to reach that next step and its 95% intangibles that he has to grow into, imo.

No knock on Danny with this, the next step is what separates the elite players from really good players. It's the point in his career to find out what he is.

After watching him perform in the playoffs, I have hope, now.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

I know Mackey's answer, but this is one of the few situations where I disagree with him.
    It's not unrealistic to hope for that, and it should be expected. It's infuriating that he hasn't done it his whole career, but if he hasn't done it for the past 5 seasons, why do you think the light will come on next season?

I hope it happens, but at this point, I'd be very surprised.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I voted yes only because the team around him should be better than the majority of last season and hopefully he won't feel like he needs to carry the team like he used to, which should help in shot selection. Also when his teammates play better defense it should help Danny s individual defensive performances.
    Agree with everything above. I'll also add that most All-Star level players really improve their game after performing well in the playoffs.

With that said, I don't think his points per game will be much higher but he'll be better at attacking the basket and more effective at drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line. I also think his defense will be much better now that he has other players in the lineup that can defend at a high level.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    It's not unrealistic to hope for that, and it should be expected. It's infuriating that he hasn't done it his whole career, but if he hasn't done it for the past 5 seasons, why do you think the light will come on next season?

I hope it happens, but at this point, I'd be very surprised.
    I wouldn't say it's the last 5 seasons... really just the last two where his defense has significantly slipped.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Danny was at his best 2-3seasons ago,

Mood

I think so. I'm not sure it was fair to expect danny to both be at 100 percent effort defensively and carry the team offensively on a nightly basis.

Don't forget that his all-star year and the year after that there was a clear corellation between danny scoring alot of points and the pacers winning, danny looks at stats and i'm sure he was aware that him taking over offensively was the best way to give our team a chance. Early in the year when Roy was a legit second option/ 1A option we saw amazing defense from danny, remember the hawks game where he was on joe johnson? After frank took over we also saw a more efficient danny where he got to the line more often.

If the team is more balanced offensively and one guy, be it roy, tyler, darren, or even PG steps up to be a clear, consistant offensive option then granger will be free to spend his energy on the all around game that we all know he has. Danny wants to do what is best for the team, and gives us the best chance of winning, I have no doubt about that. The key is moving to a level where we don't need 26 ppg danny to win on any given night.

Also when your team is really competitive, and has a chance to flourish it helps for motivation, even unconciously... Remember this is the year that larry has been talking about to danny... This is the year that danny stuck around in indiana for... It's probably been pretty tough mentally on danny playing on teams that he knew weren't built to win for a few years, but the team is about to take the next step up, and i thin kdanny takes it with them ,even if not in the form of top 5 scoring again then manifesting as a more solid all aroudn game, it's all on his teammates to produce on the offensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

All of that should be expected except for the 48%, but 45% should be expected. He was only 1 assist and 2 shots per game away from putting up those numbers his 3rd season, which in my opinion was his real MIP season but that is another discussion. He was .5 rebounds away in his 5th season, except he shot under 43%.

Mood

He should be able to easily get 45 or higher % simply by the virtue of taking it to the hole more, which i'm confident he'll do under frank, if he's brought back. I'd prefer our next coach not encourage overdoing the jumper or the 3 from danny. At the very least he needs to explore his midrange more, which imo is one of the best int he league. He torched the bulls from that distance.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I usually do not make predictions about next season until I know the roster.

But I think any coach but JOB can bring about a better Danny. Danny was not motivated under JOB and I would hope that he can be coached into being a better defender and rebounder.

Danny's playoff performance was outstanding, but I think he hit his ceiling. I do hope he acts hungry like that in the regular season but I'm not holding my breath.

Regardless, this is a key year for him. Pretty soon he will be playing second fiddle to Paul George, so if he's going to break out big he better hurry. The reality is, Paul has a much higher ceiling simply due to being quicker, more athletic, more creative with the ball, smoother, a better defensive player, a better rebounder, etc.

While I can see Danny winding back the clock to his second tier all-star version, the player I see becoming significantly better is Paul George.

I really think we need to trade him this off-season. He has been loyal and thats huge, but his stock is likely gonna be a little bit higher than what it will be if we wait. He showed in the playoffs he can be an important, consistant point contributor. But he isn't as good as most people think. Hes not an All-Star. The only reason he was in the past is he got the ball all the time because the team wasn't very good. Now we are quite dangerous and his numbers are falling a bit. He doesn't hustle enough on defense. I remember his Rookie year we were all excited because he was obviously skilled and played tough defense.. Unfortunately that fell off the map. Luckily i dont think we will see the same thing from George.

Granger would be a perfect "Robin" next to a superstar, but he isn't good enough to be a #1 go to guy to win games himself. Im trying not to be too hard on him, but thats just my critical eye on him.

Wouldn't everyone agree that Paul Pierce became a much better defender after the KG and Allen trades?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Wouldn't everyone agree that Paul Pierce became a much better defender after the KG and Allen trades?
    I would, absolutely.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Danny Granger is not Paul Pierce, not even close.