View Poll Results: Will Danny be better next year?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 48.91%
  • No

47 51.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

This year, especially in the middle of the season, he seemed to have some very tough stretches despite staying healthy. He had career low field goal percentage and a lot of times he seemed burnt out. However, at the end of the year he played very well. I think a lot of that is due to FIFA and lingering injuries from last year. This year, the playoffs seemed to rejuvenate his game and he played with much more energy and defense in the playoffs.

In the playoffs he averaged 21.6 PPG with 48% shooting with one of the best defenders in the league, Luol Deng, guarding him. He seemed like a completely different player than from the middle of the season. He played w/ energy and focus that we had not seen in a while.

Is this the Danny that we will see next year? I think that this is a very important question because if this is the Danny that we can get used to than that will turn him into more of a Paul Pierce than a Shareef Abdur Raheem if he doesn't play with the same intensity.

Default Re: Predict: Will Danny be a significantly better player next season?

Post in this one.

I voted yes only because the team around him should be better than the majority of last season and hopefully he won't feel like he needs to carry the team like he used to, which should help in shot selection. Also when his teammates play better defense it should help Danny s individual defensive performances.

Predict? You mean guess don't you?

And I agree with the guy that posted just before me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Depends on who his teammates are.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Predict? You mean guess don't you?

And I agree with the guy that posted just before me.
    Same difference.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I think "no". He had great playoffs, but...
    Danny's playoffs were amazing not so much because of his level of play but because of consistency.

He didn't do anything truly spectacular on O or D in any of those games. Nothing he hasn't done before. But those were 5 amazingly similar high level games.

If he showed us something new - un-Danny-ish energy on D, or some new trick in his bag, or new level of toughness... Then I'd say this may be his breakout.
    Instead, he simply was a consistent Danny for 5 games. Nothing very unusual. Stiull very nice playoffs, but I doubt that consistency translates long term.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Danny, during the playoffs, basically played as well as he is capable of playing. I don't believe you will see a full continuation of that level of play...particularly because I get the sense he believes he has arrived. IOW, I don't think he's that hungry in the regular season nor do I think he's trying to prove anything. That's one reason why we saw him step it up in the playoffs. He was more motivated. I don't expect the regular season to regularly motivate him that much.

Sports Logo

It depends on the coach really...
    If it's Vogel, and we'll have the same smashmouth style of play, I guess somewhere between 19-22 ppg with decent FG%. He was somewhat more consistent under Vogel but less explosive imo.
    But like I said, who knows... it depends on how much freedom he gets from the coach, how well he fits in that offense, and it also depends on him individually...
    we'll have to wait and see

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I won't say that he will be a significantly BETTER player but I will say that I think he will be a significantly more effective player because of the development of his supporting cast.
    Grown Man Ball

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

I think we'll see a significantly better player than Danny was in the middle of the season.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Will he be a better player? No.

Will his stats/efficiency go up? Depends on his teammates.

If we can acquire another scorer to take some pressure off of Danny, I think he'll become much more efficient. Thus making him a very lethal player.

But I doubt he gets any better as a player.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

This might be an unpopular opinion... but Danny's nice playoff run made me think he might have been dogging it sometimes during the regular season.

It's hard to blame him for saving his best efforts for the games that matter, but yeah it would be nice to get more consistency out of him. More of the 2008-09 Danny please.

I was thinking about this thread and the question that comes to mind is what constitutes better? He could play better without making any statistical improvements. I expect with the team around him improving that there should be a reduction in the things people complain about (bad shots) .

I also believe that his teammates should help keep him motivated. Our current starting lineup is a very driven group of young guys. Tyler, George, Collision , and Hibbert are all very hard workers. Much like Hibbert I believe Danny feeds off of the people around him. I don't know how many people watched the world championships last year, but you couldn't have a a more excited bench warmer than Danny. Danny seems to me to be the type of guy that just wants to be a part of a winning team and I expect he will be happy to share the spotlight.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't think he is getting better, he looked worse during the season until the playoffs, I expect his production to decrease now that he is also getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I was thinking about this thread and the question that comes to mind is what constitutes better? He could play better without making any statistical improvements. I expect with the team around him improving that there should be a reduction in the things people complain about (bad shots) .
    Yeah, stats rarely tell the whole story. In the 09-10 season Danny's statistics were nearly identical to his 08-09 season except for FG%, but anyone who watched him could tell he wasn't playing up to the same level as before.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

By a better Danny Granger I mean, for example, less turnovers, better shot selection, more blocks/steals, better on ball defense, better shooting percentages, etc. Basically a more motivated Danny.

Because if he has a year where he averages like 17 PPG, but with .5% better from the field and great defense, more FTA, and less turnovers than that is much better than last year or the years before.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 05-15-2011 at 04:53 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't think he is getting better, he looked worse during the season until the playoffs, I expect his production to decrease now that he is also getting older.
    He may be getting older, but he also has less wear and tear than most guys his age anymore. Most players his age have been in the league for 8 or 9 years while Danny has only played 6 seasons. Age is only part of the equation, and it could easily be argued the lesser part of the equation.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    He has a while until he starts regressing due to age. He's going into his 'prime' next year.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is weird that Danny is getting close to 30 years old, it seems like we drafted him yesterday. After what he has put up with in Indiana, he deserves a teammate of equal or better talent or a trade to a more talented team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He may be getting older, but he also has less wear and tear than most guys his age anymore. Most players his age have been in the league for 8 or 9 years while Danny has only played 6 seasons. Age is only part of the equation, and it could easily be argued the lesser part of the equation.
    Don't forget that he has issues with one of his knees, let's hope he doesn't have any issues but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion... but Danny's nice playoff run made me think he might have been dogging it sometimes during the regular season.

It's hard to blame him for saving his best efforts for the games that matter, but yeah it would be nice to get more consistency out of him. More of the 2008-09 Danny please.
    If he went 100% all the time in the regular season he would be injured a lot. You have to pace yourself for an NBA season no player plays 100% every night. In fact elite teams rarely play 100% during the regular season.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    If he went 100% all the time in the regular season he would be injured a lot. You have to pace yourself for an NBA season no player plays 100% every night. In fact elite teams rarely play 100% during the regular season.
    I don't think it is as much about him giving 100% all the time, as it is about giving 90% all of the time instead of giving 90% when we played the elite teams or elite players and giving 50% when we play everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    It depends on the coach really...
    If it's Vogel, and we'll have the same smashmouth style of play, I guess somewhere between 19-22 ppg with decent FG%. He was somewhat more consistent under Vogel but less explosive imo.
    But like I said, who knows... it depends on how much freedom he gets from the coach, how well he fits in that offense, and it also depends on him individually...
    we'll have to wait and see
    Aside from the rhetorical spiel, what aspect of the Pacers on the court
    play under Vogel was 'smashmouth' ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post
    Aside from the rhetorical spiel, what aspect of the Pacers on the court
    play under Vogel was 'smashmouth' ?
    Compared to the previous regime?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!