Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OJ Mayo

is his trade value going up with the POs? What will it take to land him this summer?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

Default Re: OJ Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is his trade value going up with the POs? What will it take to land him this summer?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp
    I think it depends on what Bird thinks his value is. THe guy is making 5.6 next year and thats about what you pay for a guy like him. Maybe a little more but its not like we HAVE to get him. There will be other options if we want to get a 6th man sg with potential.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a damn shame that trade fell through. It boggles my mind that any Pacer fan could have been against that deal. Mayo for McRoberts is so big a talent upgrade it's not even funny.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mayo is better than McRoberts, but I'm far from enthralled with Mayo. I'll make a bold statement now and say that the Pacers will acquire a much better player than Mayo this offseason and we'll all be thankful the trade ended up not going through.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Mayo is better than McRoberts, but I'm far from enthralled with Mayo. I'll make a bold statement now and say that the Pacers will acquire a much better player than Mayo this offseason and we'll all be thankful the trade ended up not going through.
    I wont the trade was robbery any way you look at it. Stupid FO ****ed up

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I wont the trade was robbery any way you look at it. Stupid FO ****ed up
    I agree the trade was robbery, but I think we'll make a better trade this offseason which would not have gone through without McRoberts in the deal. Yes, that's a sunshiner point of view with no basis in any sort of substance right now, but I just have a feeling it will happen.

Mood

I agree the trade was robbery, but I think we'll make a better trade this offseason which would not have gone through without McRoberts in the deal. Yes, that's a sunshiner point of view with no basis in any sort of substance right now, but I just have a feeling it will happen.
    even if that happens i still wanted Mayo at the deadline you cant have too many good players. We are a long way from title contenders and adding a talented player would have been a step in the right direction.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

It's a damn shame that trade fell through.

The shame is ANOTHER Mayo thread! Geez.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

even if that happens i still wanted Mayo at the deadline you cant have too many good players. We are a long way from title contenders and adding a talented player would have been a step in the right direction.
    Right but a team's assets are always limited. My point is that McRoberts will end up getting us a better player (though not as the key player in the trade) than Mayo that we could not have gotten if McRoberts was involved in the Mayo deal. So we will end up getting a better player than Mayo that could not have gotten had the Mayo deal gone through.

Of course this has no basis in fact and I could end up eating crow.

We might acquire a better player than Mayo, sure. But that doesn't change the fact that McRoberts for Mayo was a massive talent upgrade. Even if we get better players down the line, it's never a bad thing to have a talent upgrade like that. I don't see why getting better players down the line all the sudden makes that talent upgrade a bad thing. Plus, Mayo could always be used as a bargaining chip. I recall the Grizzlies GM saying that he gets calls on OJ "all the time." (I know Chicago wanted him badly). A talent upgrade like McRoberts (and a first in a weak draft) for Mayo is never a bad thing.

In Mayo's rookie year he started every game and averaged 18.5. His next year, he again started every game and averaged 17.5. He lost his starting spot this year and his numbers took a hit. I'm guessing he would have enjoyed the fresh start here and his numbers would have reflected that. Regardless, I would have loved to have his offense against the Bulls during all those moments where we were so stagnant and couldn't get a bucket.

McRoberts is what he is: an OK basketball player. Mayo is a dude that averaged 18 points per as a rookie and has *boderline* all star *potential*. That trade was so much in our favor it's not even funny.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-14-2011 at 12:12 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Right but a team's assets are always limited. My point is that McRoberts will end up getting us a better player than Mayo that we could not have gotten if McRoberts was involved in the Mayo deal. So we will end up getting a better player than Mayo that could not have gotten had the Mayo deal gone through.

Mcroberts is a FA you know he can leave and go where ever i dont know how he will net us anything. He isnt likley to get anymore than 2-5m per year. That is MLE money so teams can just sign him out right and he is a URFA. Anyways i dont know how he would net us anyone better then Mayo a guy who is a 16ppg scorer. Mcroberts isnt nearly worth what we almost got for him in my opnion.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Right but a team's assets are always limited. My point is that McRoberts will end up getting us a better player (though not as the key player in the trade) than Mayo that we could not have gotten if McRoberts was involved in the Mayo deal. So we will end up getting a better player than Mayo that could not have gotten had the Mayo deal gone through.

How will McRoberts get us a better player than Mayo? McRoberts for Mayo was highway robbery. McRoberts for a player even better than Mayo would be downright criminal.

McRoberts looked bad down the stretch and in the playoffs. All his stock did was fall. I'm guessing the Grizzlies wouldn't even do the Mayo trade now, because they know they could get something better than McRoberts for him. And I don't think there's any way McRoberts could get you someone better than Mayo at this point.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 05-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mcroberts is a FA you know he can leave and go where ever i dont know how he will net us anything. He isnt likley to get anymore than 2-5m per year. That is MLE money so teams can just sign him out right and he is a URFA. Anyways i dont know how he would net us anyone better then Mayo a guy who is a 16ppg scorer. Mcroberts isnt nearly worth what we almost got for him in my opnion.
    I don't think he'll be the primary player given up in the trade by any means. But I think otherwise if we had Mayo now and wanted to make a trade we'd probably have to include Hansbrough which would seriously harm our depth at PF.

Mood

I don't think he'll be the primary player given up in the trade by any means. But I think otherwise if we had Mayo now and wanted to make a trade we'd probably have to include Hansbrough which would seriously harm our depth at PF.
    huh? When you make trades you have to give to get. This doesnt make sense to me. We will have nearly 30m in cap Tyler Hans is replaceable and isnt a franchise player I think you guys get to attached to players. I would also think Mayo has much higher trade value then Tyler he is younger and done more things as a pro. We dont have to make trades to aquire players this off season we have cap room. I just dont think there is anyway around it not getting that trade done at the deadline really hurts.

Plus if they want jmac like I said the Grizz or any other can just give him the MLE now he is a urfa.

Mayo didn't lose his starting spot. Hopkins just wanted more scoring off the bench and Mayo never adapted well. Mayo is a starting 2 in the NBA.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    Mayo didn't lose his starting spot. Hopkins just wanted more scoring off the bench and Mayo never adapted well. Mayo is a starting 2 in the NBA.
    Hopkins? I thought his name was Lionel Hollins

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

was using my phone when i typed that, has auto correction and that was the correction

There was never a Mayo for McRoberts trade.

That trade requires the Pacers to take on $3.6 million in additional salary. It doesn't work under the cap. Just because a reporter reported it, doesn't make it so.

There WAS a larger trade involving other teams where the specific players involved haven't been made public. Would we have liked that trade? How can we know without knowing the players involved?

There's no point in talking about Mayo for McRoberts because it couldn't have happened.

And if you think it COULD have happened, please tell me how. I've been waiting months for someone to explain it to me. Was it a two part trade exception deal somehow? Has Mike Wells ever explained how it was supposed to work? He claimed it was a done deal.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Banned

The only way Mcbob's brings you a better player than Mayo is if you also ad two draft picks and one of our young pieces(Tyler,PG,Roy,DC) Mcbob by himself would bring us peanuts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OJ is playing like he did in his rookie year in the second round and it's helping Memphis out a lot.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a season, but I'm hoping to focus on getting Gordon in 2012.

I am happy Bird is still focused on getting OJ at least.
    Last edited by Trophy; 05-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.

I Stupid FO ****ed up
    I hope you're not referring to the Pacers' front office because it sure seemed by what I read that either Memphis dicked around or New Orleans dropped out at the last second.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I hope you're not referring to the Pacers' front office because it sure seemed by what I read that either Memphis dicked around or New Orleans dropped out at the last second.
    You're right. But the Indy press initially pointed the finger at the Pacers front office. And they didn't do an adequate job of attempting to remove that perception. We've had people on here blaming our front office ever since. Blaming Morway and Bird. It's very unfair.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We still ****ed up we had to get that deal done i dont care who ****ed up but it happen and it hurts us moving forward. I dont think we will ever know what truly happened still conflicting reports.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

That's like me being blamed for someone crashing into my car and totaling it.

It hurts me moving forward, but it sure as hell isn't my fault.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post: