Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

  1. #1
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nba

    Thirty years later, that same body is quitting on Jackson again. He replaced his hips a few years ago; his creaky kneecaps are next. I spent exactly 95 minutes with him and realized that, over everything else, the physical grind of coaching was pushing Jackson away. Cramming himself between two assistants, hopping up on a whim to battle officials, standing on a sideline yelling at players one-third his age? Not how he wants to spend his mid-60s. You forget that Jackson isn't that old. That's why he discusses his coaching afterlife in practical terms. He wants more time with grandchildren that he rarely sees. He owes his girlfriend multiple vacations to multiple destinations (and hopes to move around comfortably when he's there). He definitely wants to start writing again, maybe even craft another book ("The Last Last Season?"). I didn't think Jackson sounded like someone who needed a year off; more like someone who wanted a different life.

    This is one of my favorite articles dating all the way back to 2000.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Some people don't like Simmons, but I thoroughly enjoy most of what he writes. Great article!
    Grown Man Ball

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    I just read this. I thought it was great. I'm an unabashed Simmons fan, and I think this is one of his best columns in a long, long time.

  6. #4
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    i can't stand Simmons. he is nothing but a blogger. he claims to be some kind of sports "expert." problem is he knows nothing about sports. he said Ray Allen is clearly better than Reggie Miller, which is a joke. He critiziced OKC for drafting James Harden. He has an anti-indianapolis bias, which is unprofessional. This guy is a clown.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i can't stand Simmons. he is nothing but a blogger. he claims to be some kind of sports "expert." problem is he knows nothing about sports. he said Ray Allen is clearly better than Reggie Miller, which is a joke. He critiziced OKC for drafting James Harden. He has an anti-indianapolis bias, which is unprofessional. This guy is a clown.

    When did this happen? Also, did you read the article at all or just enter the thread to bash Simmons?
    Last edited by SMosley21; 05-13-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Grown Man Ball

  9. #6
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did this happen? Also, did you read the article at all or just enter the thread to bash Simmons?
    you can just tell that he thinks he knows a lot about sports when you either read or listen to him. i don't think he ever has said it, but you can tell with how smug he acts. if he knew about sports, he wouldn't say that allen is better than reggie.

    i did start reading the article, but quickly lost interest and stopped reading. his writing is so terrible, i couldn't stand it. all he was writing about was how hard it is for Jackson to walk around. over and over again. he could have said how hard it is for Phil to walk around in only 10 words, but it took him at least 50 words. terrible writing.

  10. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Simmons is an NBA expert. I bet he watches more games than anyone on this board.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,452

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you can just tell that he thinks he knows a lot about sports when you either read or listen to him. i don't think he ever has said it, but you can tell with how smug he acts. if he knew about sports, he wouldn't say that allen is better than reggie.

    i did start reading the article, but quickly lost interest and stopped reading. his writing is so terrible, i couldn't stand it. all he was writing about was how hard it is for Jackson to walk around. over and over again. he could have said how hard it is for Phil to walk around in only 10 words, but it took him at least 50 words. terrible writing.
    Sorry, but Allen is better than Reggie. I love Reginald as much as anyone, but Allen is better.

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, but Allen is better than Reggie. I love Reginald as much as anyone, but Allen is better.
    ray has only hit one meaningful game winner his entire career. ray has never had a team built around him that did anything in the playoffs. the sonics weren't good with ray, and the bucks were good because of cassell and glenn robinson. reggie was a franchise player and did damage in the playoffs year after year. reggie is by far a better defender. ray is a streak shooter, and reggie is more consistent. the offense always centered around reggie miller except for 04, and the offense on any good team has never been built around ray allen. Allen has only been a piece on good teams, never the best player.

  15. #10
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simmons is an NBA expert. I bet he watches more games than anyone on this board.
    lol. you are hilarioius trader joe. no NBA expert would question OKC by drafting James Harden. Harden has a clear role on the Thunder. Sure, he may not have had the instant impact as other rookies like Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans. But OKC already has westbrook and durant, so they dind't need any more scorers. Drafting Harden made perfect sense. only a fool would question that draft pick. and simmons is a fool.

  16. #11
    Member mb221's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OC, MD
    Age
    30
    Posts
    300

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    The fact that the only reasons you think he doesn't know about basketball are his Allen/Miller comparison and his criticism of one draft pick leads me to believe you haven't read any of his material. Try reading his book and come back and tell me he doesn't know about basketball.

    edit: Also if you read his book, you'll find out about his anti-Indiana bias. He suggests the NBA Hall of Fame is moved here. Some bias. Even his comments on Peyton Manning have changed over the years. You should come back on out of 2004 and give ole Billy boy another chance.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mb221 For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that the only reasons you think he doesn't know about basketball are his Allen/Miller comparison and his criticism of one draft pick leads me to believe you haven't read any of his material. Try reading his book and come back and tell me he doesn't know about basketball.

    edit: Also if you read his book, you'll find out about his anti-Indiana bias. He suggests the NBA Hall of Fame is moved here. Some bias. Even his comments on Peyton Manning have changed over the years. You should come back on out of 2004 and give ole Billy boy another chance.
    i have read plenty of his material, including his book. simmons knows quite alot about basketball history, but his player evaluations/predictions/comparisons are usually completely wrong. i have turned on bill simmons primarily because of the allen/miller comparison. i just can't take anybody seriously that believes ray>miller. sorry c dash.

  19. #13
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    If you've been reading Simmons for a long time, you'll actually understand that he's always had a lot of respect for Indianapolis, and even a little fondness.

    I think he's always had trouble admitting how great Manning is....But then again, name one among us that doesn't despise Tom Brady, and especially Bellichick a little?

    He's always had a very good beat on Indiana basketball, and I think he even slightly roots for their success...

    It's hard to explain, but even without reading his book, which it's much more blatant how fond he is of Indiana, but all his articles reveal he definitely has no bias against Indy.
    Last edited by mattie; 05-13-2011 at 01:10 PM.

  20. #14

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i can't stand Simmons. he is nothing but a blogger. he claims to be some kind of sports "expert." problem is he knows nothing about sports. he said Ray Allen is clearly better than Reggie Miller, which is a joke. He critiziced OKC for drafting James Harden. He has an anti-indianapolis bias, which is unprofessional. This guy is a clown.


    Except I do think Ray Ray is better than Reggie.

    However he's unprofessional because he's a Boston apologist I don't think he hates Indiana not as much as Los Angeles and he lives there go figure.

  21. #15
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except I do think Ray Ray is better than Reggie.

    However he's unprofessional because he's a Boston apologist I don't think he hates Indiana not as much as Los Angeles and he lives there go figure.
    why is ray better? is it because you read it somewhere in a media publicactin? or is it beacuse you have watched both guys play? if you have watched both guys, and don't have a bias, no way you say Ray is better.

  22. #16
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why is ray better? is it because you read it somewhere in a media publicactin? or is it beacuse you have watched both guys play? if you have watched both guys, and don't have a bias, no way you say Ray is better.
    Whoa chill, you can make an extremely strong case that Ray is better. I won't say either way, but admitting that a truly great player like Ray is better than Reggie wouldn't be the biggest travesty would it? Relax.

  23. #17
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoa chill, you can make an extremely strong case that Ray is better. I won't say either way, but admitting that a truly great player like Ray is better than Reggie wouldn't be the biggest travesty would it? Relax.
    you can only make two reasonable cases for ray. the first is the one championship, which was because of pierce and kg. and the second is the all star teams. the AS game is a popularity contest. i have posted before how inferior players got selected like bj armstrong in the early 90s before reggie made a name for himself. this was a joke, but an even bigger joke was ray allen making this years AS team. He got in ahead of Josh Smith are you going to tell me that ray allen right now is better than Josh Smith too?

    sorry to come off strong, but this really irritates me that people think ray>reggie.

  24. #18

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    this is off topic but in what ways is reggie better than ray???...I think he has more clutch moments and stayed loyal to his team but ray is the better overall player jmo

  25. #19
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by DTheKing23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is off topic but in what ways is reggie better than ray???...I think he has more clutch moments and stayed loyal to his team but ray is the better overall player jmo
    read post #9. i didn't even mention the clutch moments, which is another strong point.

  26. #20
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you can only make two reasonable cases for ray. the first is the one championship, which was because of pierce and kg. and the second is the all star teams. the AS game is a popularity contest. i have posted before how inferior players got selected like bj armstrong in the early 90s before reggie made a name for himself. this was a joke, but an even bigger joke was ray allen making this years AS team. He got in ahead of Josh Smith are you going to tell me that ray allen right now is better than Josh Smith too?

    sorry to come off strong, but this really irritates me that people think ray>reggie.
    Sweet, you made it easier. Since you obviously lack basketball knowledge, there is no reason to take you serious.

    It's evident because you apparently think Josh Smith is better than Ray Allen. Josh "I take stupid jumpshots" Smith.

  27. #21
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sweet, you made it easier. Since you obviously lack basketball knowledge, there is no reason to take you serious.

    It's evident because you apparently think Josh Smith is better than Ray Allen. Josh "I take stupid jumpshots" Smith.
    josh smith is better. allen can shoot way better, but that is it. Smith is one of the top defenders in the NBA. Smith's defense is miles better than Ray. Josh is also a better finisher around the rim. if you watch Pacer games, then you should know how good Josh is. He kills us almost every game. Smith is more versatile, he can play 4 positions, where Allen can only play one position. In conclusion, Josh can impact a game more than Allen.

    You proved that you only value outside shooting when evaluating talent.

  28. #22
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    This thread went downhill fast. We've got one guy who is obviously EXTREMELY biased in favor of Reggie saying that anyone without a bias couldn't possibly say that Ray Allen was a better player. Same person says Bill Simmons doesn't know anything about sports and hates Indiana, then when proven wrong he re-words his stance. Worst type of person to debate with.
    Grown Man Ball

  29. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol. you are hilarioius trader joe. no NBA expert would question OKC by drafting James Harden. Harden has a clear role on the Thunder. Sure, he may not have had the instant impact as other rookies like Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans. But OKC already has westbrook and durant, so they dind't need any more scorers. Drafting Harden made perfect sense. only a fool would question that draft pick. and simmons is a fool.
    He has always said they should have taken Curry. Could you imagine Curry getting open jumpers from Westbrook and Durant getting so much focus? Holy moley. That's basically what Harden does too, he just shoots jumpers, and Curry does that better.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #24
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,944

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Ray Allen put Pierce and KG to shame in the playoffs this year, and to act like he rode their coat tails to the one title this Celtics team has won is also a complete joke.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  32. #25
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Simmons Kills it: Appreciating the Zen Master in full

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread went downhill fast. We've got one guy who is obviously EXTREMELY biased in favor of Reggie saying that anyone without a bias couldn't possibly say that Ray Allen was a better player. Same person says Bill Simmons doesn't know anything about sports and hates Indiana, then when proven wrong he re-words his stance. Worst type of person to debate with.
    how was i proven wrong? i must have missed that somewhere. reggie>ray for a career. Smith>Ray right now. i clearly won the debate lol.

Similar Threads

  1. The always classic: Bill Simmons Draft diary XIV
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
  2. Good Column by Bill Simmons
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
  3. Sports Guy Bill Simmons on the NBA MVP
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 05:04 PM
  4. Bill Simmons article
    By dannyboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 11:44 PM
  5. Must read. Page 2 Bill Simmons draft report
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •