Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ECF Playoffs 2011: Miami Vs. Chicago

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ECF Playoffs 2011: Miami Vs. Chicago

As much as I hate to write this, i'm gonna go with the Bulls in six. Chicago's defense is outstanding, and i'm not sure if Miami's one-on-one offense is enough to win 4 games. Sure Miami has Wade and Lebron, but Rose is just as good as those guys. From a matchup standpoint, Rose cancel's out one of Miami's two superstars. Bosh vs Boozer is about even as well. I just don't think Miami's supporting cast is enough. Bibby is a shell of his former self, Jones is hit-or-miss, and Joel anthony isn't going to give you much offensively. The Bulls are deeper than Miami, and Rose won't be stopped.

It's pretty clear now that the Pacers played way above their heads in the first 4 games against the Bulls. We shouldn't discredit how good the Bulls are just because they "struggled" to beat us. Bulls are going to the finals. I hope i'm wrong though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm tempted to pick Miami in 5, but since Chicago has HCA, I'll go with the Heat in 6.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I have to hope for Chicago in 7.

For me, "anyone but LeBron" is because if the Heat win the championship this year that - plus the improvement in TV ratings and attendance - is the proof of concept the NBA needs to embrace fully the "few teams with multiple superstars and everyone else can just suck it" mode of operation for the next 10 or more years.

I really don't want to be one of the Washington Generals teams who are lucky to have any fans, appear on national television as anything but being posterized in commercials, and exist solely to provide experienced FAs for the Big Four or Big Six.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I ask why so many hate Lebron? I'm just wondering why he's so hated.

If it's how he left Cleveland, get over it please. He took on boo's and hate for 82 games, overcame them, been a complete professional all year about it, helped Miami to the ECF, and apologized about the decision. The man wants a ring, why hate him for that?

I never hated Lebron's actual decision I hated "The Decision" but I never liked Lebron even before that.

Mostly because while I do think he's talented saying he's going to be the potential GOAT before he set foot on the hardwood was incredibly excessive. At least let the man prove himself before you go there.

I don't mind arrogance but you need to back it up which LeBron doesn't do most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I have to hope for Chicago in 7.

For me, "anyone but LeBron" is because if the Heat win the championship this year that - plus the improvement in TV ratings and attendance - is the proof of concept the NBA needs to embrace fully the "few teams with multiple superstars and everyone else can just suck it" mode of operation for the next 10 or more years.

I really don't want to be one of the Washington Generals teams who are lucky to have any fans, appear on national television as anything but being posterized in commercials, and exist solely to provide experienced FAs for the Big Four or Big Six.

But the NBA has been like this for the past 30 years though its not a LeBron thing(even if I can't stand the guy)

This will be the first Finals since 1998 that didn't feature Duncan, Kobe or Shaq

Before them it was Michael Jordan's Bulls and with a couple titles from Hakeem's Rockets

The 80s had Lakers/Celtics

The 70's was the last balanced decade 8 different teams winning titles.

The NFL is the only sport where it thrives on parity.

But the other three need the storied franchises/stars to even be noticed. Which is why I can't take those seriously who say "We want to see different teams in it yet the ratings reflect otherwise"

This isn't directed at you just the casual fan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    But the NBA has been like this for the past 30 years though its not a LeBron thing(even if I can't stand the guy)

This will be the first Finals since 1998 that didn't feature Duncan, Kobe or Shaq

Before them it was Michael Jordan's Bulls and with a couple titles from Hakeem's Rockets

The 80s had Lakers/Celtics

The 70's was the last balanced decade 8 different teams winning titles.

The NFL is the only sport where it thrives on parity.

But the other three need the storied franchises/stars to even be noticed. Which is why I can't take those seriously who say "We want to see different teams in it yet the ratings reflect otherwise"

This isn't directed at you just the casual fan.

Understood, and I often feel like a voice crying in the wilderness that just because it has been that way and even has been somewhat successful that way it doesn't mean that's the most successful it COULD be.

At least Cleveland had an opportunity - I think the future with the Heat mode means no team other than certain ones will ever be able to retain a top level player, meaning unless you can win a championship during his rookie contract (because I think those top players no longer even bother to extend with who drafts them) you are sunk.

Knowing you have to have A top player, galling as it is, at least means any team has a shot to get (and maybe even retain) said player. Needing THREE top players (not just all-stars, but top players in the league) makes it almost impossible.

Even if it is just an illusion that is shattering, isn't that a large part of what sports fandom is all about - at least having the illusion of a chance?

Ultimately, though, I think resting on "well, look how well we do when only one or two teams are great and no one else matters" at best stagnates and at worst ends up reducing the fan base. I've explained my reasoning in a lot of threads, so I'll stop hijacking this one for now
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo

In my heart, I'm rooting for neither Team to win.......but my wallet is rooting for the Heat to win the series and the NBA Championship.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Can I ask why so many hate Lebron? I'm just wondering why he's so hated.

If it's how he left Cleveland, get over it please. He took on boo's and hate for 82 games, overcame them, been a complete professional all year about it, helped Miami to the ECF, and apologized about the decision. The man wants a ring, why hate him for that?
    I don't hate the man for wanting a ring. I hate that people call him the GOAT or compare him to Michael Jordan and he had to join up with another superstar to try and win a ring. As most of those great players mentioned from the 80's/90's, they would never have done what the Heat did. LeBron in my mind can never be in the same category as MJ or even Kobe, yes Kobe had Shaq, but Kobe was essentially drafted to the Lakers (I know, Charlotte drafted him), and he worked his way up to the starting line up. Also, I do not consider Gasol a superstar, just my opinion.

Also, I was never a Lebron hater, I loved Lebron up until the point he gave up on being great in my mind my joining up with Dwade, once again, this is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm tempted to pick Miami in 5, but since Chicago has HCA, I'll go with the Heat in 6.
    I forgot Chicago has home court. I'll change mine to Heat in 6 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    Also, I was never a Lebron hater, I loved Lebron up until the point he gave up on being great in my mind my joining up with Dwade, once again, this is just my opinion.
    Lebron gave up on trying to drag one of the worst run franchises in the league to the promise land. He spent the better part of 7 years trying to do it. It's not as if he just gave up after his rookie contract ended.

When Jordan retired the first time around, Pippen, Horace Grant and Phil Jackson still won 55 games and came within a controversial foul away from getting back to the the conference finals. That showed everyone what a tremendous supporting cast Jordan had (albeit that team had Kukoc, who never played with Jordan up to that point).

In comparison, the Cavs this season showed everyone just how bad Lebron's supporting cast really was this entire time. If you're saying you're disappointed Lebron quit on the Cavs, you're basically saying you're disappointed that Lebron gave up on trying to win a championship all by himself.

Or you could say that Jordan should have further proven his greatness by signing with the worst team in the league just to prove himself or demanded that the Bulls' management trade away Scottie Pippen for a bunch of scrubs.
    Last edited by d_c; 05-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Understood, and I often feel like a voice crying in the wilderness that just because it has been that way and even has been somewhat successful that way it doesn't mean that's the most successful it COULD be.

At least Cleveland had an opportunity - I think the future with the Heat mode means no team other than certain ones will ever be able to retain a top level player, meaning unless you can win a championship during his rookie contract (because I think those top players no longer even bother to extend with who drafts them) you are sunk.

Knowing you have to have A top player, galling as it is, at least means any team has a shot to get (and maybe even retain) said player. Needing THREE top players (not just all-stars, but top players in the league) makes it almost impossible.

Even if it is just an illusion that is shattering, isn't that a large part of what sports fandom is all about - at least having the illusion of a chance?

Ultimately, though, I think resting on "well, look how well we do when only one or two teams are great and no one else matters" at best stagnates and at worst ends up reducing the fan base. I've explained my reasoning in a lot of threads, so I'll stop hijacking this one for now
    The ironic thing is that the ratings etc show otherwise it has been successful it gets people to watch the Heat because you root for them to win or you root for their epic failure.

The Lakers? Have their huge fanbase and their epic detractors as well.

When you had the Cavs/Spurs in the Finals a ratings pitfall and LeBron was in it so was Duncan but both small markets and yet not many people outside of diehards cared.

For the other three it doesn't work like that. This is why the NFL is so powerful you can have a Super Bowl feature the Packers and Steelers both are storied franchises but they are small markets and have it be a ratings bonanza. Of course the NFL is different every game matters and playoffs are one and done. The other three are series games and have regular seasons lasting 50 + games. I think the sport suffers for it since you know that a lot of teams coast during the regular season and only the playoffs are where people notice the teams.

The MLB version of the Brewer/Pirates? Ratings disaster.

A Peyton Manning type star is fine in football being in Indianapolis they don't need him in NYC etc to sell the sport. However in basketball? Doesn't register as much sure we had Reggie but he was never on Jordan's level either.

As much of a douche as LeBron is he didn't start this trend it was always there which is why the pearl clutching over his decision ruining the NBA is laughable when it started way before that(namely when Stern became the commissioner)

http://www.terezowens.com/anti-lebro...cago/#comments

Anti-LeBron Billboard Pops up in Chicago
    May 13, 2011

At one point the Chicago Bulls desperately wanted LeBron James…The biggest free agent frenzy in the history of the world had LeBron taking his talents to New York, Chicago, or Miami…The King decided to place his throne in South Beach and the rest is history…Today, the Chicago fans want revenge…Not only for themselves, but the rest of us who had to ‘Witness’ the debacle that was the Decision…This series is going to be a dogfight…Thanks to SendLeBronHome.com for the scoop. -TO

Sports Logo

LOL....the first thing that I thought of when I read the Title of this Blurb on RealGM from Boozer is that this was a "pot shot" at Tag-Along:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Great_Players

Boozer: Heat Have Two Great Players
    May 13, 2011 12:37 PM EDT

Carlos Boozer sized up the Miami Heat after the Bulls eliminated the Hawks on Thursday.

“All of us have to do our jobs,’’ Boozer said. “We’ve been a team all year long. It’s not a one-man show, but our one man [Rose] is pretty good. We rely on everybody. They have two great players in D. Wade and LeBron. We look forward to the challenge.’’
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

How the hell they thought a billboard with SIX ALREADY WON NBA TITLES is a good fit with the phrase "Unfinished business" is beyond me. Pretty sure that business was finished a long-*** time ago.....

When you had the Cavs/Spurs in the Finals a ratings pitfall and LeBron was in it so was Duncan but both small markets and yet not many people outside of diehards cared.
    A big reason why the ratings were so bad that year - the series only lasted 4 games, and the outcome was not in doubt after the first quarter of game #1. It was a bad series.

I think the Heat will sweep the Bulls. The Bulls are overrated and that great defense isn't going to stop the two best players in the league. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the three teams left in the West having much of a chance at beating the Heat in the finals.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Lebron gave up on trying to drag one of the worst run franchises in the league to the promise land. He spent the better part of 7 years trying to do it. It's not as if he just gave up after his rookie contract ended.

When Jordan retired the first time around, Pippen, Horace Grant and Phil Jackson still won 55 games and came within a controversial foul away from getting back to the the conference finals. That showed everyone what a tremendous supporting cast Jordan had (albeit that team had Kukoc, who never played with Jordan up to that point).

In comparison, the Cavs this season showed everyone just how bad Lebron's supporting cast really was this entire time. If you're saying you're disappointed Lebron quit on the Cavs, you're basically saying you're disappointed that Lebron gave up on trying to win a championship all by himself.

Or you could say that Jordan should have further proven his greatness by signing with the worst team in the league just to prove himself or demanded that the Bulls' management trade away Scottie Pippen for a bunch of scrubs.
    Seriously.

He gets criticized for not having a ring, and now will be criticized for going to Miami to get a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How the hell they thought a billboard with SIX ALREADY WON NBA TITLES is a good fit with the phrase "Unfinished business" is beyond me. Pretty sure that business was finished a long-*** time ago.....

My guess is to get back at LeBron for stringing them along during the FA bonanza last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    A big reason why the ratings were so bad that year - the series only lasted 4 games, and the outcome was not in doubt after the first quarter of game #1. It was a bad series.

Maybe but the Lakers swept the Nets in 2002 and it still got better ratings than the Cavs/Spurs.

You are aware that every single guy the Cavs brought in was approved or requested by the King himself?

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    You are aware that every single guy the Cavs brought in was approved or requested by the King himself?
    Give me a break.

Thank you. Lebron James did what any rational human being would do. He definitely deserves criticism for the stupid ESPN special, though.

This series all depends on which Rose shows up if 11/27 scoring 35 points with 4 assists and 5 turnovers Rose shows up and gets all the headline for his "great play" the Bulls will get stomped.

If 19 and 12 actually a point guard Derrick Rose shows up, the Bulls can win.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    Thank you. Lebron James did what any rational human being would do. He definitely deserves criticism for the stupid ESPN special, though.
    I never understood why anyone outside of Cleveland would be pissed off that he actually left. If I was him I would have done the same thing. Go play with another great player, get paid millions and live in Miami instead of Cleveland sounds like a win win.

Now the way he handled leaving and how he handled the arrival in Miami is why I think most people want to see him and the rest of the Heat fall flat on their face.

I actually have more disdain for Bosh then I do Lebron. At least Lebron is a superstar in this league. Bosh is just a good player and no where near close to being a star.

Sadly I do not see Rose being able to do it all in this series. I hope I am wrong and we see a Mavs/Bulls Finals, but I have a feeling we will be seeing Miami there.