Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Month of May.. .It's Indy 500 time...

Banned

Default Re: Month of May.. .It's Indy 500 time...

One of the all-time greatest choke jobs in sports history. He's the 2007 New England Patriots of racing. A brilliant run ruined by total failure at the end.
    Last edited by Jared Sullinger; 05-29-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, that hurt. By the way, watching the race on TV, you see almost as much racing as you do commercials. Almost.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While he definitely gets blame for it, that's not entirely his fault. That lapped car really screwed him up. Really forced him into No Man's Land.
    If he slows down, Wheldon might have caught him still. Hildebrand said later his concern was that if he slowed down and waited to get around Kimball, he wouldn't have enough left in the tank to get back up to speed. He had pitted for the last time at the same time as Dario, so I think he had some validity to that.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

The team and spotter should've known whether he could afford to tip-toe around the lapped car... pull in behind him and slingshot out on the straight... whatever..... It's easy to blame the rookie but what info did his spotter give him?

A lot of people said Marco relaxed a few years ago and that was the momentum killer than Hornish needed to catch him and get around him before the stripe. I'm sure that scenario was on Hildebrand's mind as well.

I gotta say though that was a heartbreaker for the kid. I'm just glad that the next car in line was Wheldon and not a Penske or Ganassi. I respect what those guys have done but a deserving winner from another team was so much better for the event and fans.

And of course if the yellow would've came out within a few moments of the contact with the wall...... Hmmmmmmm......
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I don't think Marco relaxed. The Penskes that year had been the fastest day in and day out. Sam had the horses under the hood to catch him even after Marco slammed the door shut in turn 3 on lap 198.

And I agree, Im glad it was a small time team who won it after JR hit the wall, I'd been ticked if it had been a Penske or Ganassi.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

This shouldn't be so confusing...
    First I read this:
    Speculation surrounded the finish as the final lap was officially run under a yellow flag. The rules dictate that the finish would normally revert back to the running order on the previous lap--Lap 199, which Hildebrand led--but because Hildebrand caused the yellow, the results will stand.

"[IndyCar Race Director] Brian Barnhart explained to us that because JR was a wounded car on the last lap, he was fair game," said Barnes. "I'm fine with that. It's a classy decision and we're not going to protest."
    www.speed.com

The question was, when did the caution light come on? Chief steward Brian Barnhart said that was irrelevant since a wounded car is always fair game to pass.

"There has never been an expectation for a car not to pass a car involved in an accident," Barnhart said.

Said Wheldon: "As Brian says, you have to make it to the bricks with a car that can go forward on all four wheels. At that point I knew it was mine."
    www.Indystar.com

First, I thought the rule about reverting back to the previous lap was LOOOOONG gone.

Second, the caution light clearly didn't come on until Wheldon passed Hildebrand. You can argue the caution light was late, but you can't argue the track lights weren't green when Wheldon passed. So whatever excuse officials would want to give for the late light is basically their prerogative.

Just leave it at that. Wheldon passed under green....and the track took a little extra time to decide on going to caution due to the desire to finish under green, the position of the wreck, and the limited racing left (last turn of last lap)....whatever.... I mean, they don't really even have to explain why there was a delay going to yellow. The track went yellow when the track went yellow.

Why complicate it with this wishy washy stuff? Half the reasoning starts calling into question how Hildebrand could even be credited with 2nd place if we're going down the road of saying a car must be able to go forward with all 4 wheels on it. Comments like that are just begging for a scenario they'll end up regretting one of these days (at Indy or somewhere else in the series).

If Wheldon had not been close enough to pass Hildebrand before he skidded past the S/F line would Barnhart still say a car needs to get to the line with all 4 wheels on it under its own power? ....And not allow Hildebrand the win?

Oh well... Fortunately Barnes is not going to raise a stink so that is good. Although behind closed doors some drivers and team owners should be seeking some black and white clarity on the rules and the situation that doesn't lead to contradictions. That question needs answered and it needs an answer consistent with Hildebrand being awarded 2nd place. They can't have it both ways... IMHO...
    Last edited by Bball; 05-30-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I just got home from Carb Day, and one of the things I noticed is that RHR was in the top 10 in the final speed charts in the last practice today. He might be a surprise on Sunday.

This got what seemed to be the entire front stretch to all yell OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH in unison!
    I was Jorge's chief mechanic in FBMW...Great kid.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The team and spotter should've known whether he could afford to tip-toe around the lapped car... pull in behind him and slingshot out on the straight... whatever..... It's easy to blame the rookie but what info did his spotter give him?
    Exactly this and the high priced talent on top of the war wagon should have been keeping him advised of his "gap" back to the next car. His fear about losing momentum and a possible stutter getting out of and back into the gas (because of the low fuel state) is valid but, then, hindsight is always 20/20.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Keep in mind that Wheldon (with more fuel and fresher tires than JR) was FLYING those final laps. A couple laps earlier, there was a lot of us who thought that if JR and Dario ran out of fuel, it was going to be Scott Dixon taking the checkered. Apparently his fuel guy screwed up again though. For all we know, one of JR's spotters saw Wheldon flying and advised JR to keep on the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    One of the all-time greatest choke jobs in sports history. He's the 2007 New England Patriots of racing. A brilliant run ruined by total failure at the end.
    He's a rookie. Give me a break. He's 23 years old. He did what every other 23 year old in the world would have done right there, he took the only line he had and he went balls to the wall. No one has any right to say they would have done differently at this age or experience level.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also, as I said in the other thread, IMO Kimball blew it. If you're that slow, and you know you have the leader coming up on you, it's completely ridiculous to force the leader to take the high line.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: