Thread: Magnum Rolle: Will the Hawks Keep Him?

Default Magnum Rolle: Will the Hawks Keep Him?

I'm Just wanting some perspective here. I want him back in training camp really bad next year. I think he would make the team no questions asked. He really seemed to me to be the physical presence we needed down low. Sure he is young and thin, but I could see him being a good tandem with Hibbert, or even next to him.

He is worlds better than Solo and I think that move may have cost us a few games this year and possibly a playoff series. Maybe I rate him too high but I just really thought his athleticism and strength was really missing in our front court this year. I was upset that a division foe that beat our team into the ground when we had JOB got him. I just don't see the Hawks letting him go if they trade Smith.

Any thoughts? Or who could we reasonably get that won't break the bank that would upgrade our front court?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Magnum Rolle: Will the Hawks Keep Him?

Did they ever say what his contract was? Was it just for the remainder of this season? I never saw the terms.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Cutting Magnum Rolle absolutely did not cost a single game, and it sure as Hell did not cost us a playoff series.

That's all I'm going to add to this non-starter of a topic.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm Just wanting some perspective here. I want him back in training camp really bad next year. I think he would make the team no questions asked. He really seemed to me to be the physical presence we needed down low. Sure he is young and thin, but I could see him being a good tandem with Hibbert, or even next to him.

He is worlds better than Solo and I think that move may have cost us a few games this year and possibly a playoff series. Maybe I rate him too high but I just really thought his athleticism and strength was really missing in our front court this year. I was upset that a division foe that beat our team into the ground when we had JOB got him. I just don't see the Hawks letting him go if they trade Smith.

Any thoughts? Or who could we reasonably get that won't break the bank that would upgrade our front court?
    You say he's thin in one paragraph and then talk about his strength in another paragraph.

Beyond highlights on youtube & I'm assuming you watched the summer league what makes you think this guy is anything other than 13-15 man on a roster?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think that not having him costed us anything. I do think he has a nice upside. He was only averaging 13 ppg on the redclaws so he's not anything huge. I do wish we could have kept him. I think he will be around there they need some good young talent to get ready for when they have to thin that salary cap. I think one day he will be a 6th man.

When I chatted with Magnum he said that the contract the Hawks signed him for was basically for next season, so I'm assuming that's the training camp he'll be in.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    I don't think that not having him costed us anything. I do think he has a nice upside. He was only averaging 13 ppg on the redclaws so he's not anything huge. I do wish we could have kept him. I think he will be around there they need some good young talent to get ready for when they have to thin that salary cap. I think one day he will be a 6th man.
    I dont think we can determine anything from his time with the redclaws. He only played 2 games before a pretty serious knee injury. That said, I would like to see him on our team as a project player. We will need some minimum salary players to fill out the roster and he does have upside. I have a hunch he won't be back. Not sure why.

I like Magnum Rolle, but I find it very odd that he has become the next Damon Bailey or Steve Alford of Pacers lore.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I like Magnum Rolle, but I find it very odd that he has become the next Damon Bailey or Steve Alford of Pacers lore.
    I think it's just at a lot of fans (myself included) would like to see him on the team next year, because he is a nice guy who still talks to a lot of Pacers fans and seems to still get along with Paul and Roy.

I wish for nothing but the best for that guy. He's a good dude.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I think it's just at a lot of fans (myself included) would like to see him on the team next year, because he is a nice guy who still talks to a lot of Pacers fans and seems to still get along with Paul and Roy.

I wish for nothing but the best for that guy. He's a good dude.
    I agree completely, but some people have gone off the deep end when it comes to Magnum. To say that not having him on the roster this past season may have cost us games, or even the playoff series is a perfect example of that.
    Grown Man Ball

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I agree completely, but some people have gone off the deep end when it comes to Magnum. To say that not having him on the roster this past season may have cost us games, or even the playoff series is a perfect example of that.
    You're gonna have your idiots out there, that's for sure. I mean hell, we got guys on here who think all Dwight Howard does on offense is dunk. But yeah, in my eyes, agreed, the lack of Magnum didn't necessary help or hurt our cause this year. Definitely didn't cost us any playoff games for that matter.

With that said, I still say he should've made the team over Solomon friggin' Jones.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I like the kid. I really do.

But whether he comes back or not means nothing to me. He's likely nothing more than a 14-15th guy on most teams. And honestly, I don't much care who's sitting over there in suits.

Now if he came back, I'd certainly be welcoming to it. I think he's a genuine guy who really liked the Pacers. But if he never makes it back, oh well. I wish him the best.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    I dont think we can determine anything from his time with the redclaws. He only played 2 games before a pretty serious knee injury. That said, I would like to see him on our team as a project player. We will need some minimum salary players to fill out the roster and he does have upside. I have a hunch he won't be back. Not sure why.
    He actually played 15 games with them.
    On November 26, Rolle was waived by the Red Claws because of a knee injury which was due to keep Rolle out 'indefinitely'. In two games with the Red Claws, Rolle averaged 7.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game. His rights were retained by the Red Claws.
    50 Magnum Rolle* C Waived Due to Injury (11/26/10) & returned to
    team (03/03/11); Signed by Atlanta (NBA)
    04/15/11
    averaging 14.1 points and 5.5 rebounds in 25.9 minutes. After missing much of the season due to injury, Rolle rejoined the Red Claws in early March, and averaged 19.0 points and 6.8 rebounds in his final five games, shooting 59.4 percent (41-69).

Mood

Didn't Magnum block a few of Howard's shots in the Pre-season game against Orlando?

I'm not in the camp that thinks he's some sort of future star, but if there is a spot 14th or 15th spot available like Solo inhabited, I'd much rather have Rolle. I like him as a player, and he seems to be a good guy and a hard worker who will play his part when asked. Maybe those guys of the end of the bench don't matter to some of you, but I'd like to see a guy like Rolle there.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

You're gonna have your idiots out there, that's for sure. I mean hell, we got guys on here who think all Dwight Howard does on offense is dunk. But yeah, in my eyes, agreed, the lack of Magnum didn't necessary help or hurt our cause this year. Definitely didn't cost us any playoff games for that matter.

With that said, I still say he should've made the team over Solomon friggin' Jones.
    Wow an idiot? And Mackey I can assume just as much as you can. Just because you think you're some expert doesn't make you such.

I think he was that good on defense/shot blocking/athleticism. We could have really used the dude in the season and against the Bulls.

I guess it's best that this is an anonymous internet site because I would smack a couple of you of your high horses if we ever met.

How am I thinking so highly of the guy to think he could have helped us win a couple more regular season games, and possibly could have helped us against Chicago because Josh was clearly hurt? Say if it was 2-2 when we went to Chicago for game 5, we could have won the series still even if we would have got smashed in game 6. Noone knows for sure. Except all the fans who claim they know for sure on this site. Probably the same fans who predicted over and over a 4-0 sweep and us losing by 20 every game. How'd that turn out?

I think he would have been a better fit than McRoberts, and when Tyler struggled he would have been a good change of pace. He would have really helped us rebounding the ball as well.

And Peck I said he was thin, but that doesn't mean he isn't strong and won't gain weight. I was skinnier than alot of guys on the football team in high school, but I could outlift guys alot bigger than me on alot of different weight excercises. I was a beast on anything triceps or shoulders.

I think some of the fans on this site are clueless when it comes to evaluating talent, or understanding the holes in our team. Magnum Rolle would have helped us this past year.

I had to go on the defensive when all I was trying to do is point out that we need a long, athletic, shot blocking, rebounding young big with tons of upside and a good attitude and the heart to get better and never quit. If you don't like Magnum Rolle and the "folklore" offer up similiar guys, that's what the discussion was about before it got hijacked.

And I apolgize for my agression, but when someone tells me my opnion is wrong and "idiotic, and a non starter of a topc" with an opinion of their own, and they're opinion is rude and shallow, and they add nothing of value to the discussion other than smearing my opinion, I will fire back.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 05-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Mood

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about you. I think Mosley and I were referring to the people who thought he could be our starting PF.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about you. I think Mosley and I were referring to the people who thought he could be our starting PF.
    Well then I apologize Day-V for my agression, I thought it was directly aimed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Wow an idiot? And Mackey I can assume just as much as you can. Just because you think you're some expert doesn't make you such.

I think he was that good on defense/shot blocking/athleticism. We could have really used the dude in the season and against the Bulls.

I guess it's best that this is an anonymous internet site because I would smack a couple of you of your high horses if we ever met.

How am I thinking so highly of the guy to think he could have helped us win a couple more regular season games, and possibly could have helped us against Chicago because Josh was clearly hurt? Say if it was 2-2 when we went to Chicago for game 5, we could have won the series still even if we would have got smashed in game 6. Noone knows for sure. Except all the fans who claim they know for sure on this site. Probably the same fans who predicted over and over a 4-0 sweep and us losing by 20 every game. How'd that turn out?

I think he would have been a better fit than McRoberts, and when Tyler struggled he would have been a good change of pace. He would have really helped us rebounding the ball as well.

And Peck I said he was thin, but that doesn't mean he isn't strong and won't gain weight. I was skinnier than alot of guys on the football team in high school, but I could outlift guys alot bigger than me on alot of different weight excercises. I was a beast on anything triceps or shoulders.

I think some of the fans on this site are clueless when it comes to evaluating talent, or understanding the holes in our team. Magnum Rolle would have helped us this past year.

I had to go on the defensive when all I was trying to do is point out that we need a long, athletic, shot blocking, rebounding young big with tons of upside and a good attitude and the heart to get better and never quit. If you don't like Magnum Rolle and the "folklore" offer up similiar guys, that's what the discussion was about before it got hijacked.

And I apolgize for my agression, but when someone tells me my opnion is wrong and "idiotic, and a non starter of a topc" with an opinion of their own, and they're opinion is rude and shallow, and they add nothing of value to the discussion other than smearing my opinion, I will fire back.
    Peck's official Admin. response to your post.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm about providing a subject to talk about in the off season I can't say that I care much for what could easily be perceived as a threat of physical violence.

I'm going to chalk that up to "heat of the moment" kind of talk & that you weren't serious. However in the future please refrain from such verbiage; it will save all of us the hassle. It's just an internet message board, nothing to get worked up over.

Peck's personal response to your post (not in Admin. mode here)

I just don't see it. I know nobody thinks Solomon Jones is worth much, and he isn't. But at the end of the day this is a veteran NBA player who has even started some games for both the Hawks & us. He was left off of the roster for the playoffs. I don't see Rolle having one thing on him this last season. Next year & in the future? Maybe, time will tell, but last season IMO no

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like to fish.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

I thought the Pacers should have retained him and let Solo go. IMO, Magnum Rolle has a much brighter upside than Solo could ever dream of! He's far more productive on both sides of the ball even as a rookie, and he can actually handle the basketball. The problem was he and Jmac have very similar skill-sets. Still, I'd have kept him.

This board loooooooovveessss Magnum Rolle. If you make any sort of thread just put Magnum Rolle somewhere in the title and your guaranteed 100's of views.
    Here we come lottery?

Mood

Did they ever say what his contract was? Was it just for the remainder of this season? I never saw the terms.
    he has a contract for next season according to this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

says he will be a RFA in 2012

If this is the case good for him. I like the kid but i dont know why so many on here want him so bad and make so many threads about him.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.

It must frustrate Magnum when he sees videos of Lance short-changing prostitutes and hears of Lance pushing pregnant women down a flight of stairs while he works his butt off to rehab and injury and find his place in the league.

Imagine what Lance would be like if you put the character (as far as I know it) of Magnum Rolle in him.

Lights out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Magnum would have helped only if he received all the Solo got under JOB, but if we had a rotation of Hibbert, Foster, McRoberts, and Hansbrough from the very beginning for the whole season Magnum wouldn't have made any difference because he wouldn't see the court very often. If Magnum was really good enough to get time over those four he would not have been cut.

Anyways I would have liked to seem him on this team last year, and if fate allows it this coming year too as the 5th big man.