Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells talks Larry, Lance & Simon after Larry is brought back on the Grady & Big Joe show!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mike Wells talks Larry, Lance & Simon after Larry is brought back on the Grady & Big Joe show!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    -Said NO ONE was willing to say anything positive about Lance's future, like "lance will be OK", even off the record. That said, he stressed that the locker room not having a leader was a reason this even became an issue, & if we got a leader he said he did not think the Lance thing would be much of an issue. Said Lance is no higher than #3 on the priority list though, behind a big & a scorer. Also said that if Lance is around but not ready to be a contributer, don't be surprised to see him in a Mad Ant uni.

-Said the coaching battle is a 2 man race between Frank & M.Brown, w/ Frank having an edge. He also stated he expected that if Frank was retained that he expected an upgrade to the bench. Said the Pacers were loose w/ Fronk - too loose! Said players messed around too much & were often late to practice. Said he expected someone (not Frank) who could/ would be more of an stern hand to keep the disipline.

-Said he expected Larry to go after OJ.Mayo again, esp w/ Memphis's cap situation after signing Zach/Rudy & Mike C., & having to still sign M.Gasol. Said he did not see adding OJ as a negative to P.George.

Those were the biggies IMO...
    Podcast from Grady & Big Joe show with Mike Wells is up on this page:

http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wells talks Larry, Lance & Simon after Larry is brought back on the Grady & Big Joe show!

Let's keep Frank and hire M. Brown as defensive assistant!

What? Mike wouldn't do that? Awww shoot.... certainly it beats doing television.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Default Re: Mike Wells talks Larry, Lance & Simon after Larry is brought back on the Grady & Big Joe show!

"He also stated he expected that if Frank was retained that he expected an upgrade to the bench. Said the Pacers were loose w/ Fronk - too loose! Said players messed around too much & were often late to practice. Said he expected someone (not Frank) who could/ would be more of an stern hand to keep the disipline.
    "
    Jim O'Brien as an assistant maybe?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

The whole discipline aspect of Frank and players showing up late makes me want mike brown even more now. Mike Brown won't take that crap from the players.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Not sure how to say this. Can you become more discipline and not damage the established relationships in doing so?

Was it lack of respect or lack of clear expectations and consequences?

With a full camp and removing the interim tag, maybe all of those things fall into place, I guess.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    "He also stated he expected that if Frank was retained that he expected an upgrade to the bench. Said the Pacers were loose w/ Fronk - too loose! Said players messed around too much & were often late to practice. Said he expected someone (not Frank) who could/ would be more of an stern hand to keep the disipline.
    "
    Jim O'Brien as an assistant maybe?
    It usually works better with a disciplinarian head coach and a player friendly assistant. It would be interesting to see how Vogel manages the transition, if ever.

I wonder if Bird had to be the disciplinarian last season?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought we read that Frank was stepping up towards the end of the season discipline wise. Didn't he go toe to toe with Posey in practice? I don't think I made that up.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Wish I could truck Mike Wells more to tell what's really happening rather than just to stir up things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Wish I could truck Mike Wells more to tell what's really happening rather than just to stir up things.
    Ummm... That's whats happening/happened. All the happenings can't be P.R. for PS&E!

I know that you want sunshine and lollipops when it comes to the local media & beat writer reporting.... But, that kind of leaves us all in the dark and a lot of NEWS unreported!!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 05-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I thought we read that Frank was stepping up towards the end of the season discipline wise. Didn't he go toe to toe with Posey in practice? I don't think I made that up.
    I remember it too, but I can't think of where we heard it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Something in the gut says Mike Brown will be offered the job and Bird's last interview with Vogel will be the offer to accept associate head coach.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I really hope there isn't a lockout because this Summer will be huge in terms of improving our team and getting everybody on board with the coaches. I'm all for getting OJ Mayo this summer, he needs out of Memphis badly. I'm pretty sure when they subbed him in the other day and the crowd was booing him. A change of scenery would do that young man some good.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I really hope there isn't a lockout because this Summer will be huge in terms of improving our team and getting everybody on board with the coaches. I'm all for getting OJ Mayo this summer, he needs out of Memphis badly. I'm pretty sure when they subbed him in the other day and the crowd was booing him. A change of scenery would do that young man some good.
    Not to mention that at some point, his handles might be good enough to play 1 while PG plays 2. When PG has to guard the other team's PG, it'd be nice to have a guy who can bring up the ball and also have the size to guard a guy like Korver.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Something in the gut says Mike Brown will be offered the job and Bird's last interview with Vogel will be the offer to accept associate head coach.
    Wouldn't work. Too much of a potential power struggle. I'd love it if it could happen, but Vogel can't go back to being an assistant with these players.

my biggest concern about Vogel is that he is too lax, and what Wells is saying here seems to back that up. Not sure if the same guy can turn that around.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    my biggest concern about Vogel is that he is too lax, and what Wells is saying here seems to back that up. Not sure if the same guy can turn that around.
    I really don't think I'm making this up, but didn't you turn on this comment a few weeks ago when we read that Frank was acting as more of a disciplinarian?

Edit: It was a Kravitz article. This is a quote from Dunleavy: "As he's gone along, he's gotten more comfortable and figured out what his coaching style is," Pacers veteran Mike Dunleavy said. "At the beginning, he wanted to be overly positive, and that was a good thing. Now he's gotten to the point where he's raising his voice a little bit and cracking the whip a little bit recently."

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...isplay.php?f=3
    Last edited by BPump33; 05-12-2011 at 10:39 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody want to make a bet that Tyler will put Lance in his place this season?

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    I really don't think I'm making this up, but you didn't turn on this comment a few weeks ago when we read that Frank was acting as more of a disciplinarian.
    Yes there was an article I think from Wells during the playoffs that showed Vogel had been challenged by Posey and Vogel stood up to him and that Vogel had become a little firmer in the way he coached the team. I just wonder if it is enough.

I don't think Mike Brown is a hard *** either though

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Wouldn't work. Too much of a potential power struggle. I'd love it if it could happen, but Vogel can't go back to being an assistant with these players.
    Determining factors are....can Vogel secure a head coaching position somewhere else, too much pride if he doesn't, and does he need a job? When unemployment is staring at you and your options are limited I would think Frank would be willing to listen.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    The whole discipline aspect of Frank and players showing up late makes me want mike brown even more now. Mike Brown won't take that crap from the players.
    Mike Brown's players quit on him in the playoffs.

What did Frank Vogel's players do?

I think part of it was a "substitute teacher" problem. But I also think as the year went on he got sterner. (Stickup up to Posey, punishing AJ for missing shoot around, punishing Lance for whatever he did, getting into the guys in the locker room) And that it was a growing experience for Vogel. He knew when he got the team he needed to be positive. But like a bunch of young guys would do, without a leader, they took it too far. And then he realized he had to be hard on them sometimes. They liked him, but they needed to learn to respect him. And I think it was obvious at the end, that they did.

I remember Roy Hibbert saying that when Frank gets mad and yells, they listen. Because it means something. Guys will tune out a dictator.

Then add in Roy's comments about Frank being the coach of the year, Danny saying he wanted Frank to be the head coach, and someone saying that Tyler Hansbrough would "run through a wall for Frank" Makes the decision all too obvious for me.
    Last edited by Sookie; 05-11-2011 at 01:27 PM.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Determining factors are....can Vogel secure a head coaching position somewhere else, too much pride if he doesn't, and does he need a job? When unemployment is staring at you and your options are limited I would think Frank would be willing to listen.
    It's not that Frank necessarily wouldn't do it, Bird wouldn't do it. He can't run the risk of having a split locker room. If Frank doesn't get a HC job, he'll be a lead assistant somewhere, but almost definitely not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Mike Brown's players quit on him in the playoffs.

What did Frank Vogel's players do?

Go 21 - 23 over a really small sample size?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    Go 21 - 23 over a really small sample size?
    I think "didn't quit" is the answer we were looking for.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Not to mention that at some point, his handles might be good enough to play 1 while PG plays 2. When PG has to guard the other team's PG, it'd be nice to have a guy who can bring up the ball and also have the size to guard a guy like Korver.
    They tried Mayo at Point in Summer league to because those around him were lobbying for him to get minutes at the Point. It was a disaster, I guess. Not to say he can't develop it, he's young, but it seems he's no where close to being able to do it, now.

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I think "didn't quit" is the answer we were looking for.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post: