Thread: Tom Moore quietly leaves the Colts

Default Tom Moore quietly leaves the Colts

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...ure-from-colts

On Tom Moore's quiet departure from Colts
    May, 10, 2011 May 106:27PM ETEmail Print Comments1 By Paul KuharskyWhen Chris Mortensen mentioned in SportsCenter draft preview shows that Mike Munchak had nearly lured Tom Moore to Tennessee as offensive coordinator, I figured the Colts would have let him go if he really wanted to.

It should have set off a bigger alarm bell.

Tuesday when I saw this mention that Moore has been invited to visit with the Jets to talk about red-zone scoring, I realized Iíd missed something. Itís the second time heís been identified as the Colts' "former offensive coordinator" instead of as their current senior assistant.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack
    Tom Moore, who was instrumental in the creation of the Colts offense under Peyton Manning, is no longer with the team.And what are the odds the Colts let Moore talk about a job with a division rival and let a conference foe approach him to talk strategy?

Zero.

Sure enough, Mooreís name is no longer on the team web siteís coaching roster and I've confirmed in a couple places that heís no longer with the team. It's a change to the staff that officials have not yet been asked about.

Itís something I certainly should have asked Bill Polian about when Iíve had the chance.

Itís not uncommon for the Colts to make moves with no announcement and allow them to be discovered later -- something thatís taken too long for me to do. Perhaps Moore didnít want any fanfare with his departure, it would fit with what I know of him. We do not know if it came against his wishes, if it was a mutual deal or if the team wanted him to stay and he chose to walk away.

Moore was instrumental in the creation and perfection of the Coltsí offense run by Peyton Manning. Last year, Clyde Christensen officially took over as offensive coordinator, with Moore reduced to offensive assistant. A reduction was significant, but it's nothing compared to a departure.

Mortensenís report said Moore ultimately told Munchak he couldnít make the commitment the Titans deserved.

That makes it sound as if the 72-year old coach no longer wants to live a full-time football life. More power to him if that's the case.

But remember, Howard Mudd made a declaration like that at the end of the 2009 season. And a little more than a year after he retired, he said yes to Andy Reidís offer to join the Eaglesí staff for 2011.

As of now, at least for 2011, one of the NFLís great offensive minds has taken a seat.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tom Moore quietly leaves the Colts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any reference from the Ren & Stimpy show is a winner for me.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Eh, didnt he retire last year?? Im pretty sure they didnt just now seperate. Am i just crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh, didnt he retire last year?? Im pretty sure they didnt just now seperate. Am i just crazy?
    He went from offensive coordinator to a consultant. He still was on the sidelines and I think he still wore a headset.

I don't remember exactly what the deal was but it seems it was something about the pension he would receive down the road if he remained offensive coordinator. So this was some kind of compromise scenario.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

That thread is an interesting read. I'd forgotten that Mudd was included in the coach - consultant shuffle. ...or that Peyton was so agitated and negative in discussing the situation.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm glad you posted a link to that thread, able. I had forgotten about that.

Interesting how Mudd was only retired for a year before coming back to coach the O-Line in Philly. But I know guys constantly retire only to get that itch to come back after being gone a year or two.

Tbh no matter how good you are i personally think that being on the sideline for an NFL season at age 72 is complete insanity from both sides.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I forget the details but Howard Mudd has some kind of personal relationship with someone within Philly's organization...

Tom Moore has already been on his way out. He didn't leave because they wanted some sort of mentor relationship with Clyde..

It is not really a big deal, he had to go something, and honestly it would be extremely unlikely for him to comeback with another team.

Howard Mudd was simply a different situation...