View Poll Results: Trade Hibbert for Iggy, or keep Hibbert and trade for Mayo (if Nene is signed by Pacers)?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Hibbert/pick for Iggy

9 10.34%
  • Keep Hibbert, trade pick for Mayo

66 75.86%
  • No interest in Mayo or Iggy

12 13.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iggy or Mayo?

Default Re: Iggy or Mayo?

Hibbert and a pick for Iggy is way over paying for guy whose stock is down. I think Brush and a pick would get Mayo and I would do that if the Grizz were interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They almost gave him up for Josh Mcroberts...
    It was McRoberts + unprotected pick. The pick was still anywhere around 8-17 back then, and the draft looked better than it does now. But the key is, teams now know the starting price and will bid up + Mayo has played considerably better since deadline.

I'd be stunned if we can get Mayo for anything close to the initial deal.

Banned

I don't think Mayo's really played any better, post-deadline. I think it's more a case of time, coupled with Memphis' impressive postseason, erasing a lot of the negativity towards him.

I doubt #15 alone will get it done, but if we're able to move Rush for another pick/asset to add to the deal, that may be enough.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mayo seems to be somewhat undervalued, so I'd rather roll the dice on him than have to give up one of our building blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    I don't think Mayo's really played any better, post-deadline. I think it's more a case of time, coupled with Memphis' impressive postseason, erasing a lot of the negativity towards him.

I doubt #15 alone will get it done, but if we're able to move Rush for another pick/asset to add to the deal, that may be enough.
    I'm not sure there's anything to think about...

After the deadline, he's shooting ~.400 from the 3, getting ~1.1 steals a game, and he's regained his mojo as distributor. And for the first time in his career he had a really good assist/turnover ratio - although it went down a bit during the last few games of the season when Grizz started to tank.

He's clearly played better than before the deadline. Which is amazing because his minutes actually went down due to arrival of Shane and emergence of Allen.

Are they the only options the Pacers can get? Not that they're bad, but certainly there are better players out there that the FO can trade for.

I don't think there is much point in bringing in Iggy unless Granger is leaving. To me it just seems like the money spent on Iggy could be used more wisely. With Iggy this team would have two all-star caliber wing players with Granger and Iggy, with the potential of a third with George. While that sounds awesome, and is, it might not be the wisest idea. As we all should know good wing players are abundant in this league, you can't take two steps without tripping over one. On the other hand the same can't be said about PG's and Post players. The wiser thing to do is to get a slightly worse wing player that will only cost half as much, but not bring only half as much production. Then use the saved money on post players. If Granger, George, and Iggy were all post players this would be a different discussion, but there is a reason that the Pacers have the opportunity to have so much talent at the wing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't think there is much point in bringing in Iggy unless Granger is leaving. To me it just seems like the money spent on Iggy could be used more wisely. With Iggy this team would have two all-star caliber wing players with Granger and Iggy, with the potential of a third with George. While that sounds awesome, and is, it might not be the wisest idea. As we all should know good wing players are abundant in this league, you can't take two steps without tripping over one. On the other hand the same can't be said about PG's and Post players. The wiser thing to do is to get a slightly worse wing player that will only cost half as much, but not bring only half as much production. Then use the saved money on post players. If Granger, George, and Iggy were all post players this would be a different discussion, but there is a reason that the Pacers have the opportunity to have so much talent at the wing.
    Miami seems to be doing alright for themselves .

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Miami seems to be doing alright for themselves .
    Miami has 3 all-stars, not 3 all-star wings. I'm not saying it would be bad, I'm just saying the money can be better spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Miami has 3 all-stars, not 3 all-star wings. I'm not saying it would be bad, I'm just saying the money can be better spent.
    Shooting Guard, Small Forward, Pansy Forward. 3 wings.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a vacuum, I think Iguodala is a better player because he contributes in a greater variety of ways other than scoring. He is a better defender as well, though I think Mayo has the potential to be at least average.

If age and salary were no concern I'd take Iguodala, but if I had to lose Roy to get him I'd definitely rather have Mayo.

I would take Iggy in a heartbeat.

I really don't think we need Iggy, especially at that salary. If we sign Nene to a contract around $13-14M/year I see no reason to keep Hibs. He hasn't really shown enough to me that we should hang on to him with Nene on board. However, I wouldn't use him in a trade for Mayo. I would use him in a trade with Atlanta to get Josh Smith.

Something like Hibs+ Posey + future ( 2013 or 2014)1st round pick. Atlanta needs to dump some salary and this would save them $4M right off the bat and even more depending on the CBA and any possible luxury tax. Plus that would allow Horford to move to his natural PF position. Then you S&T McBob and trade him+2011 1st+ Rush/Lance. We resign Foster and bring over Stanko to round out the front court.

PG- DC/AJ/Lance or FA (Barea/Drajic?) or 2nd round pick
    SG- PG/Mayo/Rush or Dun or 2nd rd pick
    SF- Granger/DJ
    PF- Smith/Hans
    C- Nene/Foster/Stanko
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

If we're lucky enough to land Nene I want him starting with Hibbert, I don't want him in Hibberts place. We need to add size to our front court not subtract.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Really all depends on a combo of what it would take to get him and what we might or might not be adding in addition to him. One thing he doesn't give is shooting from range. Somewhat of an upgrade in terms of creating his own shot, although I find him hot and cold there. Defensively, no question he can bring it if focused.

EDIT: Whoops! Talking Iggy here, obviously. Thought I was in the Iggy thread, not the versus one. In that case, again, whether I'd want either is at least partially dependent on what it costs and our other moves. Mayo is somewhat like the alter ego of Iggy...probably has the ability to average more points, but about the same as a driver (hot/cold, not consistent), much better shooter, not the same level on D.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 05-09-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If we're lucky enough to land Nene I want him starting with Hibbert, I don't want him in Hibberts place. We need to add size to our front court not subtract.
    I agree. I'd like Nene on our squad as the starting 4 and backup 5, not the starting 5 with Hibbert gone or backing him up.

I think any trade for Mayo may need to start with A.J. Price our 1st and a resigned Mcbob

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't state it enough, good centers are hard to come by. And having Nene at the 4 with Hibbert is nothing short of sexy. We need a giraffe and a horse in the front court.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Can't state it enough, good centers are hard to come by. And having Nene at the 4 with Hibbert is nothing short of sexy. We need a giraffe and a horse in the front court.
    So would you prefer a 4/5 combo of Nene/Hibs or Josh Smith/Nene? To me the Smith/Nene combo would be more athletic and much better defensively and on the boards. Plus either one is capable of dropping 20 pts in a given night. A starting 5 of DC/PG/Granger/Smith/Nene would be outstanding.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    I'm not sure there's anything to think about...

After the deadline, he's shooting ~.400 from the 3, getting ~1.1 steals a game, and he's regained his mojo as distributor. And for the first time in his career he had a really good assist/turnover ratio - although it went down a bit during the last few games of the season when Grizz started to tank.

He's clearly played better than before the deadline. Which is amazing because his minutes actually went down due to arrival of Shane and emergence of Allen.
    I wont bother calculating pre/post deadline production, but from looking at his pre/post All-Star break splits, I don't see much difference. His assists are up a bit, sure, but so are his turnovers. Everything is nearly identical when taking into account minutes played. His postseason numbers were about the same, too, before his excellent game last night gave them a boost.

I'll be charitable and accept that O.J.'s been slightly better, post-deadline, but I doubt it's been significant enough to change his trade value much. If anything's changed that, it's the fact that his fight and drug suspensions are drifting more-and-more into the past.

Everyone knows O.J. has talent. The question is: Does that talent outweigh the negatives off the court? Three months ago most would probably lean towards no, whereas today, it's probably a yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    I wont bother calculating pre/post deadline production, but from looking at his pre/post All-Star break splits, I don't see much difference. His assists are up a bit, sure, but so are his turnovers. Everything is nearly identical when taking into account minutes played. His postseason numbers were about the same, too, before his excellent game last night gave them a boost.

I'll be charitable and accept that O.J.'s been slightly better, post-deadline, but I doubt it's been significant enough to change his trade value much. If anything's changed that, it's the fact that his fight and drug suspensions are drifting more-and-more into the past.

Everyone knows O.J. has talent. The question is: Does that talent outweigh the negatives off the court? Three months ago most would probably lean towards no, whereas today, it's probably a yes.
    Well if you want to argue about it, then bother? Come on man, this isn't some negotiation You are drawing all these conclusions yet you are too lazy to look at anything besides one split. Exclude pre-deadline games. Exclude the last few games where Memphis was trying to lose and get San Antonio. Then you'll see the difference. And not even all the difference - he's been so much more active on D which is never fully reflected in stats.
    Last edited by ballism; 05-10-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: repetitive

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Because we'd be paying a guy 16 mil in a few years to put up 14 ppg.
    They can get better then cap relief and they should take it. We can do a lot better for that kind of money.
    I like Iggy and think he would be great on the team but I don't like his contract. I'd rather they sign a couple of sharp shooters like Jason Kapono and James Jones than have a bunch of money tied into AI.

Plus getting a quality backup SG will allow Paul George another season to develop as the starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

I think Nick Young is also an option. I am not a fan of overpaying him but if the Pacers can sign him for around 3-4 million they should take a strong look @ the kid. He can shoot the ball from the outside. He may command more but he becomes overpayed after 4 mill IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Got to keep Hibbert. He has more value to me than Iggy brings himself anyways, let alone a pick. We dont need to go get another on/off player in Iggy.. We already have Granger as our leader. :/ As long as Mayo stays out of trouble I wouldn't mind having him, he could easily morph into a closer. I really hope we get Nene though, with Tyler backing him up that would be a much better lineup already.

Under no circumstances should we trade Hibbert imho
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.