Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sixers preparing to deal Iguodala this offseason

Default Sixers preparing to deal Iguodala this offseason

Inside the Sixers
    Inside the Sixers: Prepare to say goodbye to Iguodala
    POSTED: May 8, 2011 By Kate ***an

Inquirer Staff Writer

emailprintreprintsizecomments29options POSTED: May 8, 2011 Inside the Sixers
    Inside the Sixers: Prepare to say goodbye to Iguodala
    By Kate ***an

Inquirer Staff Writer

You don't need a microscope to read between the lines of Andre Iguodala's postseason quotes.

If you want to be somewhere, or do something, you rarely bury the admission beneath layers of verbiage.

DAVID MAIALETTI / Staff photographer
    Veteran Andre Iguodala does not seem to fit with coach Doug Collins' youthful 76ers, and the team will look to trade him.
    Heat 97, Sixers 91 Sixers 86, Heat 82 Heat 100, Sixers 94 There's an extra pair of tickets to the Phillies game at work: First come, first served.

We'll take them.

Do you kids want to go to Disney World?

Yes!

An answer to a straightforward question is simple, but Iguodala's answer to the question, "Do you want to play for the 76ers next year?" was anything but.

Here was his first attempt: "I expect to be back in the NBA," Iguodala said after the team's season-ending loss to the Miami Heat in the NBA playoffs. "It's always been a dream of mine to play ball. This has been a great ride so far, not just with the Sixers, just playing basketball in general. I'm really looking forward to getting some rest this summer, just letting my body recuperate and get back to 100 percent, and I'm really looking forward to next year being my best year in the league."

Not his best with the Sixers, but his best in the league.

When asked to clarify his answer - considering it was anything but clear - Iguodala continued down the same fuzzy path.

"I think it's something I've always dreamed about, playing in the league," Iguodala said. "Once I got here, I think I've always wanted to be in one place, not having to move around a lot, being comfortable in one spot."

Iguodala never actually said he didn't want to return to the Sixers. He danced around igniting an aggressive offseason controversy, but he tossed in a cup of passive-aggressiveness for confusion.

Iguodala has not asked Sixers management for a trade, but the team will be looking to trade him this summer.

Sixers coach Doug Collins has finally found a nucleus of guys - Thaddeus Young, Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams, and Jodie Meeks - who enjoy playing for the Sixers. Veteran power forward Elton Brand, in addition to having an anchor of a contract, serves as a complementary presence for those guys.

What Collins doesn't need is a borderline star answering questions vaguely about his desire to play for Collins' team. It's too much navigation at this stage of the building process, and Collins is too genuine to ignore Iguodala's half-statements and innuendo.

Here's the breakdown of how NBA general managers feel about the remaining $56 million on Iguodala's contract. Approximately half of the GMs believe he's paid appropriately, perhaps slightly overpaid but nothing that would prevent them from making a deal. And half believe he's overpaid and wouldn't trade value for him.

This brings us to the main question each Sixers fan must ask this offseason: Do you care for whom Iguodala is traded?

Two deals that have been whispered about in NBA circles highlight the different directions this move could take.

Some league folks have hinted that the Sixers and Memphis Grizzlies could discuss a swap of Iguodala for Memphis' injured star Rudy Gay. The Grizzlies are making an impact in the Western Conference playoffs without Gay, who went down with a shoulder injury late in the season.

The salaries match: Iguodala will make $13.5 million next season, while Gay will make $13.6.

Gay is under contract through the 2014-15 season, meaning the Sixers would take on an extra year of salary (approximately $20 million) in such a trade.

But the biggest question is: Should the Sixers trade Iguodala for a similarly skilled player? Or should their focus be on an area of need - the center spot, for example - while also opening up minutes on the wing for returning sophomore Evan Turner?

Another trade that was discussed last season involved trading Iguodala to the Los Angeles Clippers for big man Chris Kaman.

Kaman has only one year remaining on his contract - $12.2 million for the 2011-12 season. He also would provide talent and experience in the low post, while relieving the franchise of a good chunk of the remaining millions on Iguodala's contract.

This offseason will be crucial in taking the Sixers from mediocre to good, and to do so won't involve just the decision of whether or not to trade Iguodala. They also need to hit a home run in what they get in exchange.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1LmO31nyi
    Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Sixers preparing to deal Iguodala this offseason

NOW!

Woah.. Igoudala for Gay? Man oh man that is a ridiculous trade.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 05-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Would swapping Danny with Andre be a good idea, bad idea, or just a lateral move? Would Andre be accepting of Paul George's ascention to "the guy", assuming he proves worthy of it, or would he create a power struggle for who gets to be "the man"?

I think Danny will welcome it, if it happens. I have no idea if Andre would.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I prefer Danny to Igoudala honestly.. I mean look at the post season numbers comparing the two. They are night and day.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

I think swapping Granger for Iguodala would be a lateral move for both teams.

If the 76ers are looking for youth, they'd probably demand Paul George and a pick. I think if the Pacers don't offer that, they're going to get outbid. That's a tough choice.

I guess the question you have to ask is this: If you're Nene or David West, which wing combo makes the Pacers more attractive?

A) Granger and George
    B) Granger and Iguodala
    C) George and Iguodala

I'd have to go with B. George may very well turn out to be something special. But how long will we have to wait for that to happen?
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would swapping Danny with Andre be a good idea, bad idea, or just a lateral move? Would Andre be accepting of Paul George's ascention to "the guy", assuming he proves worthy of it, or would he create a power struggle for who gets to be "the man"?

I think Danny will welcome it, if it happens. I have no idea if Andre would.
    If we are not able to acquire Iggy to play next to Granger, then I would certain consider it ( without giving up PG, such as BRush+2011 1st + 2013 1st )....it makes sense for both Teams as both Players fit positional needs for each Team. But since the Sixers are in a position to really build upon their Playoff run, I can see them asking for a high quality Starting SF like Granger or Gay.

IMO....if we are not comfortable with PG immediately starting....I think that it is easier to get more "bang for the buck" if we look for a Free Agent SF as opposed to a Free Agent SG this offseason.

It would be a lateral move...but a lateral move that shifts our assets to positions of need. If you are comfortable with PG as the future Starting SF....then we would still be in a very good financial situation with 4 Starting positions filled ( DC / Iggy / PG / Hibbert ) while maintaining the same SalaryCap situation as before while leaving $$$ to go out and get a Starting PF through Trade or Free Agency.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I prefer Danny to Igoudala honestly.. I mean look at the post season numbers comparing the two. They are night and day.
    I'm not going to look at 1 post season performance and make a judgement as to whose a better Player.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    Lets review some numbers

2011 Playoffs per 36 minutes

Iggy 11.4 pts
    7.0 rebs

George 8.2 pts
    6.8 rebs

2011-12 Salaries

Iggy $13.5 mill
    George $ 2.4 mill

With PG's defense and upside I will pass!

This is beginning to sound like a record that skips

Please let it go

We need a big man.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    I think swapping Granger for Iguodala would be a lateral move for both teams.

If the 76ers are looking for youth, they'd probably demand Paul George and a pick. I think if the Pacers don't offer that, they're going to get outbid. That's a tough choice.

I guess the question you have to ask is this: If you're Nene or David West, which wing combo makes the Pacers more attractive?

A) Granger and George
    B) Granger and Iguodala
    C) George and Iguodala

I'd have to go with B. George may very well turn out to be something special. But how long will we have to wait for that to happen?
    I agree with you...to a certain degree. I know that many would balk at moving PG....but it's something that I would have to consider but would be on the fence.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-08-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    NOW!

Woah.. Igoudala for Gay? Man oh man that is a ridiculous trade.
    The one thing in the Pacers favor if the Sixers were to consider Granger or Rudy is the long-term salary/contract. Granger has a smaller contract where he earns $3mil less per season and ends sooner.

I'm not in the least bit interested in Iggy. I don't want to thwart PG's growth at SG, not interested trading PG for Iggy, nor am I interested in trading Granger for Iggy either.

I would be interested in Speights for #15 and cap space.

Iggy-Gay trade? Why would Memphis do it? Besides the hope that Michael Heisley is a certified loony and will do any trade.
    To save 1.5 mil next year? Maybe you shouldn't resign Z-BO at 5 mil over his market price.
    To improve defense? Gay just had a career year defensively. He's very good. In fact, he might be the 3rd best all-around SF now, behind LeBron and Durant and above Melo when you account for D.
    Not to mention, you are getting older. This sucks for Memphis.

Personally, I would be all for acquiring Iggy, if we don't have to give up Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough. What I would like to see (as much as it will pains to say this), trade Hibbert+Rush+Picks to the 76ers for Iggy then sign Nene during the offseason.

Collison/Lance/Price
    Iggy/D. Jones
    Granger/Paul George
    Tyler/?
    Nene/?

That sounds like a good team. Nene should fare better in the East, and Paul George might be able to challenge the 6th Man of the Year award.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 05-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Hibbert for Iguodala all day long.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

20. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

As for Iggy to us, I'd love it. I don't even think we'd need to give up much. If we believe the rumours, they want to drop salaries. I'd take Iggy+Brand (2 years left) for cap space with a sweetener (this year's pick, or a future pick).

I don't understand the idea that PG needs to start. Why exactly?
    Wouldn't you rather have 3 great wing players instead of 2 great wing players?
    All PG needs to develop is minutes and good coaching. Not starting.
    There's 96 minutes on the wing. What does it matter if he shares those minutes with Granger&Iguodala or Granger&Dunleavy&Dahntay? If anything, he'll pick up a few defensive tricks from Iggy.

T-Mac didn't start much till year 4, and he ended up pretty good.

Kobe didn't start till year 3.

Granger might've been a better player today if we stayed a playoff team and he came off the bench in year 2/3/4 - he was so much more aggressive defensively in the first 2 years, before he became 'the man'.

Look, talented youngsters don't insta-start on decent teams. And if they get good minutes, it doesn't kill their development. If anything, it gives you another reason to keep working even harder. And we are a decent team. With Iggy, we'd be more than decent.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because of Paul George, I don't want Iguodala on this team. If we were to get Iggy, I see Paul potentially surpassing Iguodala very soon, and then we'd be stuck with yet another expensive problem rotting on our roster waiting for his contract to expire. Iggy's a good player on both ends of the court, but with Paul George, I see no need for this move to happen.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Because of Paul George, I don't want Iguodala on this team. If we were to get Iggy, I see Paul potentially surpassing Iguodala very soon, and then we'd be stuck with yet another expensive problem rotting on our roster waiting for his contract to expire. Iggy's a good player on both ends of the court, but with Paul George, I see no need for this move to happen.
    This makes zero sense. 3 great wings are better than 2. You cant have too much talent and we lack talent right now. We are never gonna win a title with this type of thinking or not aquring more talent all the time. Plus Paul isnt on Iggys level yet and proably wont be for the duration of Iggys contract Iggy has a different skill set he is a playmaker.

I could understand not wanting him but not for this type of reason I just dont get it.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-08-2011 at 02:29 PM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

It's hard to be too impressed by Rudy Gay when you see how well Memphis is doing without him. He's a nice scorer, but I'd take Iggy's Pippen-like overall game if given the choice.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    As for Iggy to us, I'd love it. I don't even think we'd need to give up much. If we believe the rumours, they want to drop salaries. I'd take Iggy+Brand (2 years left) for cap space with a sweetener (this year's pick, or a future pick).

There's 96 minutes on the wing. What does it matter if he shares those minutes with Granger&Iguodala or Granger&Dunleavy&Dahntay? If anything, he'll pick up a few defensive tricks from Iggy.

Granger might've been a better player today if we stayed a playoff team and he came off the bench in year 2/3/4 - he was so much more aggressive defensively in the first 2 years, before he became 'the man'.

Look, talented youngsters don't insta-start on decent teams. And if they get good minutes, it doesn't kill their development. If anything, it gives you another reason to keep working even harder. And we are a decent team. With Iggy, we'd be more than decent.
    If the Sixers were willing to send the Pacers Iggy+Brand....it was something that I would consider...but would be the last option IF the FO really wanted to go "ALL IN" this season...as opposed to later.

This would certainly be a huge move to solidify the roster for the next 2 to 3 seasons:

DC / AJ????
    Iggy / Inferno
    Granger /PG
    Brand / Hansbrough
    Hibbert / ???

IMHIO....this roster is more like what the Nuggets did after they moved Melo. But this is one of those options that I'm not sure that the FO would consider given the amount of $$$ that comes in ( roughly adding $30-34 mil in Salary Cap per season over the next couple of season ) while sending out a minimal amount ( probably BRush and Posey's contract ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-08-2011 at 02:59 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

athletic big man please.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    What's so wrong with 3 good wings? Chicago had Jordan, Pippen, and they still managed to play Tony Kukoc 30 min a game, even in the playoffs.

Also, did you just compare Iggy's contract with Dunleavy/Murphy contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post

Best point of the entire thread!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Okay well if we could get Iggy and keep both Granger and George I'd be down, because then we would flip anyone of them for Gordon next year.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Iggy, I really do. But I'm not sure he fits in well with this Pacers team as currently constructed. And I wouldn't trade Danny or Paul for him.

I'd rather have Andre than Mayo, though.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Hibbert for Iguodala all day long.
    I'd rather have a young mediocre center than no center at all.

39. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: