Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OJ Mayo, Pacer this off season?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Red face Re: OJ Mayo, Pacer this off season?

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still a little concerned with having two knuckleheads (and no strong player leader) in the locker room.
    Well, Granger and Hibbert are going to be around for a while...
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OJ Mayo, Pacer this off season?

I think there is one thing that is being overlooked. I believe that Mayo could be a contributor for the Pacers for one year. During that year, hopefully a reasonable extension to his contract be worked out.

Following next season, or even at the trade deadline, I would then use Mayo in a trade to acquire Gordon. At least with Mayo, the Clippers would be getting back a similar player that is also very good and that will probably have a more reasonable contract for the next 3-4 years.

Based on history, I think the Clippers would appreciate a quality player with a more reasonable salary that has similar skills to cover the SG position.

Gordon could be acquired without a trade in a year, if we're willing to overpay. Gordon will be a RFA, and we all know how Sterling is about paying his players.

But Mayo is a trade asset that would be worth having for the right price (like the offer at the trade deadline).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Gordon could be acquired without a trade in a year, if we're willing to overpay. Gordon will be a RFA, and we all know how Sterling is about paying his players.

But Mayo is a trade asset that would be worth having for the right price (like the offer at the trade deadline).
    he wont be a RFA till next year. They have a team option that will be piccked up.

There's no such thing as overpaying for Eric Gordon. I could be a Hoosier homer, but he's a beast. No reason to trade Granger either... Gordon, Granger, and George on the same team is pretty solid. Not to mention Dahntay in the last year of his deal and Rush playing 10 minutes a game after we resign him for cheap. DC, Price, Lance, Hansbrough, Hibbert, and whoever else just happens to be on our team in Gordon's 1st season in the Blue and Gold? Ha, sorry league, we win.

The trick is, if P4E is right (I have no clue and don't want to look it up), and he's a RFA next offseason, how much do we offer? I'd love to pay him Granger money or maybe a little more and he'd love to take it, but the Clippers can't let him walk. They just can't. Bledsoe, Gordon, Griffin, and probably Jordan is too enticing to screw up.

If some **** changes with this new CBA and whatnot, the price of a max deal could be different. If it is, I'd lob Eric Gordon a max deal and hope the Clippers don't match it.

DC
    Gordon
    Granger or George
    Hansbrough or whoever
    Hibbert

with Granger or George and Hansbrough or whoever coming off the bench? lol

Based off Mayo's price tag, you could take a chance. Pick #15 for Mayo is not bad if that's the case.

Only reason McRoberts and New Orleans were involved were due to roster spots and cap space. That will not be an issue this summer. The one hold could be the NFL lockout situation if that happens in the NBA, and teams are only allowed to trade picks for picks and not picks for players.

The Pacers need to at least call and ask around to see who's all available before trading that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post

As long as they don't play cards on the plane, I'm sure it'll be fine.

LOL! That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post

he just needs to keep his mouth shut. Our teams positive attitude could and should rub off on him if we get him, so I am not to worried about his attitude anyway.

The team's positive attitude apparently didn't rub off on Stephenson! I'd be leary of it having any effect on Mayo, since the Memphis team has a positive attitude. Apparently Mayo hasn't embraced their positive attitude either. The Pacers already have a problem in Stephenson. If you bring in Mayo, you can be compounding the problem which isn't anything the Pacers need. I don't see the 2 co-existing. They duplicate each other, so one should be expendable. There would be no reason to keep Stephenson if Mayo comes to the Pacers.

[QUOTE=dgranger17;1231392]

There's no such thing as overpaying for Eric Gordon. /QUOTE]

If PG is as good as he seems, why is Gordon going to be happy backing up PG at SG? So yes you can overpay for Gordon. Why overpay for something you already have that is younger and cheaper?

Sports Logo

[QUOTE=Justin Tyme;1231407]
    Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post

If PG is as good as he seems, why is Gordon going to be happy backing up PG at SG? So yes you can overpay for Gordon. Why overpay for something you already have that is younger and cheaper?
    Gordon BACKING up PG? Look, I love PG, kid's got a lot of promise. But we gotta slow down or a lot of people are gonna be disappointed.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

If PG is as good as he seems, why is Gordon going to be happy backing up PG at SG? So yes you can overpay for Gordon. Why overpay for something you already have that is younger and cheaper
    ?
    Ya PG hasnt shown he can be a 22pt scorer on a nightly basic. Not saying he wont be but he is a long way away from that right now. We were one of a few teams to not have a guard (SG,PG) ave at least 15ppg. It needs upgraded. If PG ever becomes that player then you have a great problem on your hands you can never have too many good players. There is plenty of mintues to go around

staring pg 33mins EJ 15mins

Starting shooting guard= 28mins EJ=20

starting SF 35 mins backup(starting SG)= 13

so that would be 41 mintues for starting PG 35 mintues for EJ and 35 mins for Danny. That would be more than enoght and that is only if PG becomes a superstar which isnt as likley as some make it out to be on here he still has a long way to go. However Manu Ginobili came off the bench so im pretty sure ethier Danny or Paul or EJ could swallow their pride for the good of the team. Starting isnt that important who finishes is more important.

with a 4 man rotation their would be plenty of mintues to go around. Im not keen on EJ playing pg though just showing that there s enoght mintues to go around. Danny will need to start redoucing his mins anyway in a few years.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 05-08-2011 at 12:10 PM.

No, he isn't. Gordon is significantly better than Mayo.
    in what ways?

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    because if Gay was healthy he wouldnt even be playing.

Mike Wells Indy beat writer said we will do everything within reason to get OJ this summer. If he was just guessing im not sure but he sounded confident in his radio interview.
    Now that's not even true. OJ would be sixth man if Gay was playing. They're LOTS better with Mayo playing more minutes and Rudy Gay out...they're better in EVERYTHING when Gay is out. Mayo flourishes when Gay doesn't play.

This isn't even worth a response, but I'm bored....

Eric Gordon will not be backing anybody up. Unless of course, like p4e said, he welcomes the 6th man role. Also like p4e said, there will be plenty of minutes to go around with a wing rotation of the 3 G's. Gordon could easily play the point for stretches as well and be on the court with Granger and George too. I say pass on OJ Mayo and pray the Clippers don't match us on Gordon. We already have a Juice anyway

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Now that's not even true. OJ would be sixth man if Gay was playing. They're LOTS better with Mayo playing more minutes and Rudy Gay out...they're better in EVERYTHING when Gay is out. Mayo flourishes when Gay doesn't play.
    Not really they would play Battier and Young and Tony Allen I mean Mayo might play but not as much. He cerinly is replaceable i mean they almost traded him for J-mac

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'd be happy to have OJ from next season at least and then look to bring in someone else like Gordon.
    OJ Mayo and Eric Gordon playing in the same backcourt, you going to have to be a mastermind to be able to acquire both

[QUOTE=Heisenberg;1231408]
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

Gordon BACKING up PG? Look, I love PG, kid's got a lot of promise. But we gotta slow down or a lot of people are gonna be disappointed.

The day PG was drafted I said Bird drafted him as Rush's replacement. The kid HAS talent, and I see no reason to trade for or sign Gordon when a player has the capabilities of being the best player on the Pacers. The Pacers have more important needs to address at the present time.

Rant on

This is just another pipe dream thread about trying to get a player who isn't available and probably never will be to the Pacers. The Pacers have a better chance of getting Mayo than Gordon, and I'm not that intersted in Mayo. Getting Gordon is nothing more than conjecture at it's finest. Geez, I can't wait until next year for the 100 let's trade/sign Howard threads.

Seriously, what really "good established named player" has the Pacers ever gotten that has had threads created to get that player? Lets be realistic in our wants. There is realism and there are fantasies. I prefer to deal in realism, I have found out that it works out better.

Rant off

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    in what ways?
    I would pretty much say in every way.

I've always been impressed by EJ. Then I saw him play in person, and damn, he is goooood. Sure it was a night when he was on, but I mean he was on. Every time he shot it went in it seemed like,

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This is just another pipe dream thread about trying to get a player who isn't available and probably never will be to the Pacers. The Pacers have a better chance of getting Mayo than Gordon, and I'm not that intersted in Mayo. Getting Gordon is nothing more than conjecture at it's finest. Geez, I can't wait until next year for the 100 let's trade/sign Howard threads.
    First off, I want Gordon. However, there is no assurance whatsoever that we can compel the Clippers to trade him, nor is offering him a very sizable contract a guarantee that the Clippers would not retain him. Besides that, a lot can happen in a years time to change either our situation or theirs.

For that reason, I believe we should acquire an quality SG if one is available that is suitable. It seems likely that Mayo would still be available during this off-season. And, it also seems probably that Igoudala is available.

If Mayo were acquired during the off-season, he may very well prove to be the SG that fits. Then in another year, if he doesn't fit as well as we would like, Mayo would make an excellent bargaining chip to possibly coerce the Clippers into training Gordon. Mayo is not likely to be paid anywhere near what Gordon will command in salary. Maybe the Clippers would be perfectly happy with Mayo if he ended up being paid 3M to 4M less per year than Gordon.

If we happened to sign Igoudala this off-season instead, acquiring Gordon next summer would probably prove a little more difficult than dealing with Mayo at a lesser salary.

At any rate, I absolutely would NOT use our first round pick to obtain Mayo until after a suitable PF is obtained. I believe that our need to the PF is greater than our need to an additional SG. If the pick is not necessary in obtaining a new PF, then by all means we can do whatever we want with it in getting Mayo or another SG.

Gordon is a pipe dream...period. Where are the rumors that Gordon is even AVAILABLE to be had?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Gordon is a pipe dream...period. Where are the rumors that Gordon is even AVAILABLE to be had?
    He's a RFA in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    He's a RFA in 2012.
    Restricted. Clippers will match any offer. They're on record somewhere stating they're building around Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Restricted. Clippers will match any offer. They're on record somewhere stating they're building around Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin
    yepp EJ Blake and (Deandre Jordan )

The Clippers beat writer said they refused to trade EJ for Melo and wouldnt trade him for almost aanyone he is near untouchable..

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    If we do get Mayo what would be the need to get Gordon? He is a good player but some u guys seem like u only want him cause he is hometown boy. OJ is just as good or better, his defense is highly underrated.
    Gordon finished the season as the 13th overall scorer in the NBA. Mayo probably didn't make the top 50.