Thread: John Daly tries to keep Ryan Mallett on course

Default John Daly tries to keep Ryan Mallett on course

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...335904&chkEm=1

John Daly tries to keep Ryan Mallett on course
    By Ian R. Rapoport
    Friday, May 6, 2011 - Added 4 hours ago
    + Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email

E-mail Print (8) Comments Text size Share FRISCO, Texas — Ryan Mallett returned to the Athletes Performance facility after the Patriots [team stats] drafted him, back to work to prepare for the season.

But the former Arkansas star took a break Wednesday for a good reason.

PGA star John Daly wanted to play golf.

“He needs a little work,” Daly told the Herald, laughing about the 6-foot-6 quarterback’s game. “But he needs clubs about four inches longer because he’s so tall. I called TaylorMade to see if we can take care of him.”

Daly isn’t limiting his guidance to the golf course. The dedicated Razorbacks fan has watched Mallett countless times from the sidelines, and the two became friends after they appeared on Jon Gruden’s ESPN quarterback special.

Daly, who has dealt with his share of negative publicity, assisted Mallett on the pitfalls of being a celebrity.

“I’ve always believed that the press loves to write about the past, whether it’s good or bad,” Daly said. “In my life, it’s been bad. I’ve been telling him, don’t live in that past. And I don’t know about Ryan’s past. You talk to everybody about it, there’s nothing there. . . . You know the deal: If someone sees you drinking a beer, they think you’re drunk, especially if you’re a celebrity. All I know is, he’s a good kid.”

While they played golf, Daly said, Mallett drank water. He emphasized that all Mallett wants to do is learn from Pats coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady [stats].

“He’s ready to play football,” Daly said. “He’s preparing for the season. Coach Gruden said he couldn’t keep him off the board. He’s very, very smart.”

Mallett has enjoyed getting to know Daly, one of the Arkansas program’s most visible supporters.

“He’s just trying to help me know that there are going to be people trying to bring you down,” Mallett said. “And surround yourself with good people. He’s a really good guy. He’s had his problems, and he dealt with them. He knows what he could’ve been, and he doesn’t want to see the same thing happen to other people.”

Daly played golf with Belichick years ago, and the Cowboys fan does keep tabs on the Pats. He anticipates a bright future for Mallett.

“They got the best backup quarterback in the country right now,” Daly said, “and Ryan will learn quick. I don’t think they have to worry about winning games if Brady sits out or gets hurt

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: John Daly tries to keep Ryan Mallett on course

If I am Mallet's agent I am keeping him away from John Daly and telling him to follow Tom Brady.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

John Daly, sobriety coach.

Daly is a character. Hard living, but completely likable.