Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U of Miami

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default U of Miami

Wow. Has anyone read the Yahoo reports? Detailed! Impressive.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigatio...enefits_081611

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: U of Miami

Well, we won't be seeing The U in a bowl game for a few years....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    U of Miami
    = screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Well, we won't be seeing The U in a bowl game for a few years....
    Or any games at all with any luck.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They should get the same treatment SMU got years ago...I.E. the death penalty. It'd be a strong statement from the NCAA, and Miami is still a big enough name for it to actually matter, but at the same time no longer competitive enough for it to cause a huge loss of a national power.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

cheating goes on at every college it is a shame this rat had to tell his story because he is locked up and bitter he sounds like a media attention hungry guy. I don't blame the players for taking the money I mean most people would in that situation but this booster is a scum bag. He really thought that these players would have his back after they got paid in the NFL? This guy is an idiot.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Robert Marve won't be playing for us I don't believe.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    cheating goes on at every college it is a shame this rat had to tell his story because he is locked up and bitter he sounds like a media attention hungry guy. I don't blame the players for taking the money I mean most people would in that situation but this booster is a scum bag. He really thought that these players would have his back after they got paid in the NFL? This guy is an idiot.
    Yes, he's an idiot. However what does that make Miami for letting him be around that long?

In the end, it may be the players who get screwed, honestly. He may get the last laugh. If his scheme that got him locked up benefited the players, there MAY, and I say may, because I don't know for sure but there may be a case that the players received the money that was stolen from investors in his fraudulent scheme. That could give the people who were ripped off, a case in court to demand the players give those portions of the money back.

Much in the same sense that if you buy a stolen item, and the police match the serial number to that item, you're screwed. The police will take the item and you're out of however much money you spent on it.

Same concept, and I'm not 100% sure it applies, but I'm guessing it will be attempted.

Really college players need the money? They have to take it, even though it's breaking the rules? These guys are getting a FREE education! And on top of that they have tutors at their beck and call 24/7, they have trainer's table, they have nicer accommodations than other students. These kids get plenty of ****, they just don't take advantage of it. They'd rather waste their time getting pointless **** like sexual favors from hookers or rims for their SUV.

Sorry, I don't have any pity for Division 1 athletes, and most division 1 athletes I've talked to who have graduated and matured, including guys who played football at major D1 programs like Purdue and then later went on to other professions agree with me. They can't believe all the benefits they get that are perfectly legal that most players take for granted.

I get some of these players want to "help their mom" or "help their dad", but guess what there are a lot of average students that want to do the very same thing.

/endrant

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

And yeah the guy's an idiot and the worst type of whistle blower, but the whistle still got blown, Miami and its players should have to pay the consequences. IU got taken behind the woodshed for some cell calls.

And, also P4E, I'm sorry if it sounded in that earlier post like I was coming down hard on you. I just really think players often get portrayed as victims or just "doing what everyone would do" and I just think that's a cop out. They get so much already, they just take it for granted, or I should say those that seek impermissible benefits do. To me that's the most fascinating part of this story, this guy is just some tiny wannabe who happened to start writing checks to football players, probably LOVED the attention he got from them being his "friends" and the next thing he knows he's a huge booster involved in illegal NCAA benefits as more and more players approach him. He just sort of fell into it, not an excuse for him at all, but I can see how this nerdy short kid with some money woudl find this a tough offer to pass up.

Now he sort of plays it up, but I bet if anything he loved hanging out with the players as much or more than they enjoyed using his yacht, money, etc.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Wonder when the Calipari story's going to break. Been waiting since UMass, probably be awhile. Guy insulates himself pretty well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wonder when the Calipari story's going to break. Been waiting since UMass, probably be awhile. Guy insulates himself pretty well.
    It better be soon because he will be back in the NBA in a few years IMO

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

It better be soon because he will be back in the NBA in a few years IMO
    Nah, he's getting paid like $5 mil in salary, gets a million dollar bonus every year just for coming back, and I think he has some sort of media/endorsement deal that brings in another couple mil. He's at a (maybe THE) destination program, and still hasn't won a title so it's not a "what else there left to do?" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    They should get the same treatment SMU got years ago...I.E. the death penalty. It'd be a strong statement from the NCAA, and Miami is still a big enough name for it to actually matter, but at the same time no longer competitive enough for it to cause a huge loss of a national power.
    Unfortunately, the NCAA will never give an SMU Death Penalty again. If U$C didn't get it, then I don't think the U will either.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Unfortunately, the NCAA will never give an SMU Death Penalty again. If U$C didn't get it, then I don't think the U will either.
    USC didn't do anything to warrant it. This is far, far beyond what USC did. Don't see how they're related.

They'll get nailed with a bunch of penalties, maybe fines, loss of scholarships, etc.... but they won't get the Death Penalty. It would impact too many other schools because of scheduling.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

If they want to make a statement (and they NEED to), they'll kill the program for quite a while.

“SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the nuclear bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one.”
    ~John Lombardi on the SMU Death Penalty

I hate the U as much as anyone, but destroying them for 20 years is too much. They WILL get beat down hard, but the NCAA will not use the SMU Death Penalty again.

IU got taken behind the woodshed for some cell calls.
    IU got off pretty easy sanctionswise. That could have been a whole lot worse if they hadn't done a lot of the things they did internally (fire Senderhoff, remove Sampson, etc).
    Last edited by Sandman21; 08-17-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Nerd.
    Mood

“SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the nuclear bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one.”
    ~John Lombardi on the SMU Death Penalty

I hate the U as much as anyone, but destroying them for 20 years is too much. They WILL get beat down hard, but the NCAA will not use the SMU Death Penalty again.

IU got off pretty easy sanctionswise. That could have been a whole lot worse if they hadn't done a lot of the things they did internally (fire Senderhoff, remove Sampson, etc).
    While it can be equated to 'dropping the nuclear bomb'....I think it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Robert Marve won't be playing for us I don't believe.
    Actually they said he's still eligible to play

However none of this is suprising

Now the fact he kept very detailed records that's the surprise

Personally I don't care that this is going on and if you look hard enough pretty much all the elite programs do this. The ones that don't do this are the ones that suck.

I can't wait for the inevitable ESPN/HBO documentary on this one.

Or at least the movie the should be based on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    If they want to make a statement (and they NEED to), they'll kill the program for quite a while.
    If they want to make a statement they will take a look at the SEC. Slamming The U isn't going to change the culture of college football because the untouchables are going to continue to think they are untouchable.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    If they want to make a statement they will take a look at the SEC. Slamming The U isn't going to change the culture of college football because the untouchables are going to continue to think they are untouchable.
    While I can agree with this, you work with what you are given or have in front of you...right now it's Miami...you deal with this issue and then move on to the SEC...

In considering the punishment, I think you also have to look at the reason that SMU got the death penalty. It wasn't because their violations were worse than those of others, it was because they committed violations while they were already on probation for committing a separate set of violations. It was like skipping parole- the penalty was huge.

That's why I think that, while Miami will get hammered, the punishment will stop short of the death penalty. It wasn't the second set of violations for the same collection of administrators.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

You guys do realize Miam WAS on probation when all these events were going down right? Miami has been on perpetual probation basically since the 90s.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-death-penalty

Pat Forde makes the argument why the NCAA may bring back the death penalty here.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-18-2011 at 09:17 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: