Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vogel interviewed by Rockets (Update post #91 - Vogel no longer a candidate

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vogel interviewed by Houston Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tomorrow's Friday and that's when the official meeting between Bird and Simon is supposed to be held.

Hopefully things are effectively done especially giving Vogel an extension.

This meeting with Houston doesn't mean anything. I'm sure Houston knows that Vogel is more than likely returning to be our coach, but were just interested to hear what he had to say.
    I heard on 1070 today that Simon will meet Bird in Los Angeles on Monday at 10 AM.

I hope Bird and Simon come out of the meeting on the same page with Bird continuing in his present role... or even President/GM as far as I'm concerned. The sooner Bird re-ups, the sooner we can get Vogel on board.

I've thought about Bird saying that Vogel would get the first interview and also last interview. If you really think about it, if he only interviewed Vogel, I suppose that would be a true statement, right?

A coach like Vogel is hard to find. He's a "player's coach", having developed a very good raport with his players. He got them to consistently perform in the final stretch of the season and in the playoffs. In fact, they delivered on what he stated he wanted... a "smashmouth" team.

I say give him 3 years and one or two additional players through trades or FA and let's see what he can do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

As Gnome said, Bird and Simon will meet Tuesday, not tomorrow.

Mood

As for the story, good for Frank, honestly. It's further validation that he's a worthy hire as far as I'm concerned.

An interview doesn't mean he's out the door, so I'm not viewing this as any sign that he's done with the Pacers.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Considering Frank's accomplishments with our 2nd half a season left in Indiana after OB half gutted it, the man is a pretty shiny gem out there. Good for him. He deserves recognition for what he did. Much love Frank.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

I will be mad as ***** if we don't hire Vogel to be honest.. and if that happens , I am more than willing to meet up/carpool with a bunch of you guys to picket Conseco ..
    Matter of fact, to me , it sounds like a great idea for us to right now, start a "HIRE VOGEL" campaign online , as well as organizing something where maybe we could get at least a few hundred outside in front of The Fieldhouse , with our hire Vogel signs..
    I can guarantee you this, if we could have a successful turnout ,(with some well placed calls ) I know we could make it on WTHR , WISHTV , as well as the rest of the Indiana news stations. and in essence force the hand of the Pacer's front office to act..
    Wouldn't that be something?

All those in favor, Let's do this folks..

I would venture to say , that if we got the word out, that we could most definitely get quite a few Pacers players to show up..

I ask , What Say You?

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Why do you guys keep saying Bird & Simon are going to meet on "Friday" when it's not happening until Tuesday!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by IndyStar, bottom of Pacer players expect lockout article
    Bird-Simon meeting next week

Pacers president Larry Bird will fly to California to meet with owner Herb Simon on Tuesday.

Simon has said he wants Bird to return, but Bird is looking to resolve some financial and personnel issues.
    This almost reminds me of Painter/Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    start a "HIRE VOGEL" campaign online
    They already have one on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/VogelCampaign

Has Tbird interviewed with Houston yet? I swear he's the only guy they haven't talked to yet.

IMO the Vogel fans should be happy about this. It only serves to further validate him. Plus, regardless of if Herb wants Vogel or not, it reminds him the longer he takes, the less candidates will be available.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    I am going to be pretty pissed if we let someone else snag Coach Vogel and we twiddle our thumbs.

The last half of this season and our postseason showed us that he *IS* the man for *THIS* team. Are there more experienced people we could bring in? Of course.

But I am firmly convinced that Coach Vogel is the perfect fit for our organization and young team.

We need to get this **** DONE. NOW!
    With all due respect, this is why people like us are not in the front office managing a NBA team.

You communicate openly with him, tell him how he's appreciated, but tell him that we need to go through a formal interview process.

If he's half the coach I believe he is, he'd be confident that he'll stand up well in that comparison, and welcome it... helping his value in the process.

Panic isn't the right approach to this. If he just takes another offer and doesn't honor what he said publicly about wanting to stay here, then it's probably the best to move on anyways.

JMHO.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    With all due respect, this is why people like us are not in the front office managing a NBA team.

You communicate openly with him, tell him how he's appreciated, but tell him that we need to go through a formal interview process.

If he's half the coach I believe he is, he'd be confident that he'll stand up well in that comparison, and welcome it... helping his value in the process.

Panic isn't the right approach to this. If he just takes another offer and doesn't honor what he said publicly about wanting to stay here, then it's probably the best to move on anyways.

JMHO.

I agree with you, I didn't mean to come off "panicked".

However, I do think that this should be a fairly no-brainer decision for the Pacers FO and that we should avoid any potential courting from other teams if we can. It's obvious that Vogel wants to stay here, and it's obvious that he has had a tremendously positive impact on our team, so why go through all the motions? Just hire the guy and show him that we have the confidence in him he deserves after his performance this last year.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

This is why we should have done this before the end of the season. Now we're going to have to outbid other teams if we want to keep him.

With that said, I have a feeling that this is where he wants to be considering his familiarity and bond with the players.
    Last edited by Doddage; 05-06-2011 at 01:49 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I hope we make a complete overhaul. I like Vogel but if keepng him means keeping Bird and ultimately standing pat, no thanks.
    You should change your name to Captain Oblivious.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Let's not forget the possibility that Morey could have given Vogel the interview as a favor, hoping it'd help him get the job with the Pacers. I want Vogel back like (almost) everyone else, but just because he got an interview from his former boss doesn't mean we're in danger of losing him.

If he gets two more interviews, that's when I start to worry.

I'm not concerned at all. The Rockets are interviewing everyone under the sun. If we want to bring Vogel back, he will be back.

A lot of you guys should join an old women's knitting bee, you'd be right at home repeating gossip, and saying "Oh my god," on hearing the latest rumor.

Has anyone got a link to Friday being when Bird and Herb were to meet? I would really like to pinpoint where that came from in as much as we've known for a couple days that they were meeting Tuesday in California.

Myself I'm not completely sold on Vogel. Yes he turned things around, but he came after O'B, so he had the players attention. Under those circumstances I think a lot of coaches could/would have got the team moving.

Now I like the man as a person as well as the rest of you, and I also like his upbeat style. However, the team did have a bump in the road where they lost six straight games under him. Three of those six games were on a west coast road trip. However, Minnesota the team with the worst record in the NBA, and Toronto, the team with the third worst record closed out that 6 game losing streak. So my question is what the heck happened?

From what I understand, that's when the Stephenson uproar happened, and since this was when the team played 5 of 6 games on the road, Vogel and the other coaches would have been with the players pretty much 24/7. If that's the case it appears to me Vogel didn't do to good of a job at that time. I think maybe a firmer hand as coach, someone like O'B, might have been better at that time. (Sorry )

Of course things got better, but at that time Vogel had lost a lot of his popularity here on Pacers digest, and people were starting to complain. Plus we did have a five game losing streak later. (Last 2 games of season, plus 3 straight to Chicago)

So the reason I'm not completely sold on Vogel, is I don't know if the locker room righted itself or Vogel had anything to do with it. On the plus side, even if he didn't have anything to do with things getting better, he's young, he probably learned something.

The thing is I'm not in the Pacers locker room, and I'm not behind closed doors with the team, and neither is any of the other hard core fans on this site. We just watch the games and read what goes on. And yes we read and listen to gossip.

The way I feel is this, I would like to see Vogel back as coach, but just on a one year contract. I want to see how he handles himself over a full year.

Some of you hated the way O'B ran things, and I'm telling you right now, if Vogel is hired, some of you are going to be whining and complaining about how he runs things. He is a O'B disciple after all, and some of you are complainers.

Bottom line though, I'm not sure Vogel is right for this team. And I suspect other coaches could have gotten the Pacers into the playoffs. So if Bird comes back and doesn't hire Vogel I won't be upset about it. Bird does know what goes on in the locker room and behind closed doors.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

“@MikeWellsNBA: Vogel and Rockets general manager David Morey were together with the Boston Celtics.”
    I wouldn't worry until Daryl Morey interviews Vogel...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    the team did have a bump in the road where they lost six straight games under him. Three of those six games were on a west coast road trip. However, Minnesota the team with the worst record in the NBA, and Toronto, the team with the third worst record closed out that 6 game losing streak. So my question is what the heck happened?
    I don't disagree with some things you've said, however, bumps in the road just happen. Whether people agree or not, every team in the NBA is a good team. That's why upsets happen. Lakers lost to the Cavs, the Heat gets blown out by the Pacers, Bulls lose to the Nets, Celtics lose to the Bobcats, bumps for teams happen. Yes, that 6 game losing streak was hard to watch, and work ethic definitley played a huge part in it.

The bad teams of a season rise to the occasion at times. It just so happened to go for 6 times with us being the victim. Like I said, the team's work ethic during that streak was horrid.

You made some great a valid points as well. I don't think Vogel is a disciple of JOB, I believe he is a gem in a solid rock. I also believe that he deserves a chance to show us what he can do with an 82 game season.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

This is what happens when you stick with a coach WAY past his expiration date until you're left with no choice but fire him or face a player and fan mutiny... you end up with a situation where you're stuck trying to figure out if you had an up and coming coach on the bench all along or someone who was fortunate enough to take over for a bad coach who had lost all respect of the players.

And no, I don't completely trust TPTB to make the right decision in this case. They are going to be confused themselves plus the allure of a popular coach willing to work cheap on his first HCing contract will be a factor when that shouldn't have ever been a factor. Let alone players' desires muddying the picture as well. ...and fans too....

Then you have Vogel's paper thin resume'. And then you have his turnaround of the season and winning record as the HC and excellent showing in the playoffs.

Any person that signed off on the idea O'Brien needed an extension/option picked up for his 4th season BEFORE his 3rd season is still pretty questionable in my book when it comes to judging coaches.

It's really a tough call. Vogel has done everything he could to make this a tough call with the turnaround and playoffs. I'm sure the day JOB was fired Bird had other coaching plans for this off-season.

I even wonder if part of the problem is Bird would still like to go with whoever he was considering and Herb is saying "But the players like Frank... the fans like him... he coached us to the playoffs.... and he's not going to cost much"
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This is what happens when you stick with a coach WAY past his expiration date until you're left with no choice but fire him or face a player and fan mutiny... you end up with a situation where you're stuck trying to figure out if you had an up and coming coach on the bench all along or someone who was fortunate enough to take over for a bad coach who had lost all respect of the players.

And no, I don't completely trust TPTB to make the right decision in this case. They are going to be confused themselves plus the allure of a popular coach willing to work cheap on his first HCing contract will be a factor when that shouldn't have ever been a factor. Let alone players' desires muddying the picture as well. ...and fans too....

Then you have Vogel's paper thin resume'. And then you have his turnaround of the season and winning record as the HC and excellent showing in the playoffs.

Any person that signed off on the idea O'Brien needed an extension/option picked up for his 4th season BEFORE his 3rd season is still pretty questionable in my book when it comes to judging coaches.

It's really a tough call. Vogel has done everything he could to make this a tough call with the turnaround and playoffs. I'm sure the day JOB was fired Bird had other coaching plans for this off-season.

I even wonder if part of the problem is Bird would still like to go with whoever he was considering and Herb is saying "But the players like Frank... the fans like him... he coached us to the playoffs.... and he's not going to cost much"
    Excellent post!

An a really tough call!

Bringing a coach in for an interview doesn't necessarily indicate a
    serious interest in hiring him.

How do we know that this wasn't just Vogel's old colleague (buddy ?),
    Morey, doing him a favor to help his leverage with and/or build a
    sense of urgency a bit within the Pacers organization ?

Just to reiterate what has been said a couple times, Frank Vogel is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. He seems like he could be a very promising coach. But, this guy hasn't even coached a full season!! If some other team offers him a job right away and we don't get him? So be it! We cannot afford to blindly hire a former assistance who coached barely over 40 games, esp. since the prior coach was so terrible, my mother could have coached that team.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Just to reiterate what has been said a couple times, Frank Vogel is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. He seems like he could be a very promising coach. But, this guy hasn't even coached a full season!! If some other team offers him a job right away and we don't get him? So be it! We cannot afford to blindly hire a former assistance who coached barely over 40 games, esp. since the prior coach was so terrible, my mother could have coached that team.
    All this talk of a full season. You think a guy who had a 20-18 half season record and coached a troubled Indiana team, who were supposed to been blown OUT in 4 games I might add, to scare the #1 team in the league and their fans to death won't deliver? I have more faith than that.

Statement: I'm still unsure about hiring him, he hasn't even coached a full season!

Solution: Let him coach one.
    Last edited by Constellations; 05-06-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    extending Vogel before the lockout to me is stupid just kind of a waste of money if we are locked out.

Of all the possibly scenerios what you have outlined is the absolute worst. "Waiting until after the lockout" to do anything that can be done now is a horrible idea. I trust the pacers have zero intentions of waiting until the lockout is over to do anything

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Am I the only one who's first thought was "good for Frank"?
    That was my reaction exactly.

I will say this, I believe Frank will make an excellent representation of himself in an interview. Would not be surprised if he moves up into the top 3 or 4 - and is on the Rockets short list

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    A lot of you guys should join an old women's knitting bee, you'd be right at home repeating gossip, and saying "Oh my god," on hearing the latest rumor.
    That is Pacers Digest in a nutshell. Well done, sir.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown