Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal retiring?

Default Jermaine O'Neal retiring?

Looks like former Pacer JO may finally hang 'em up and retire to spend more time with this family.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...=Google+Reader

I can't say that I blame him at all as his body is breaking down and he has two young children. Plus, he has made about 160 million while playing in the NBA and is financially secure. I think it would also be fitting if he could sign a one day contract with the Pacers so that he could retire as an Indiana Pacer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal retiring?

i just want to say please no one suggest bringing him here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, if he'd want to come back and play for the minimum, would anyone complain? You can't tell me he's not better than Solomon Jones.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

He needs to go into the painting business. He could sell franchises called "Dominate the Paint".

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i just want to say please no one suggest bringing him here.
    You know who would make a good back-up PF/C for us? Jermaine O'Neal.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

On a slightly more serious note, the conspiracy theorist in me finds it a little interesting that this news comes out shortly after Bird re-ups with the Pacers. Maybe JO was considering trying to come back to Indy for a season and retire as a Pacer, but when he saw Larry was back, he knew there was no chance of that happening.

Banned
    Mood

Its like asking a kid not to push the big red button...

You know maybe JO could be the leader in the locker room that this team needs...........HAHAHAHAA, just kidding.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

You know, if Jermaine came back here as the big man coach he could teach Roy how to shoot the turn around fadeaway jumper (CLANK) in his quest to establish dominance of the paint...

I wish I wish I wish I could go back and find an archived thread from the Indystar day's of a battle between Will Galen, Arkman40, Doug, Ben N & myself over length of players staying in the NBA.

This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when all of the young guys were coming out of high school & I theorized that they would not be in the NBA any longer than guys coming out of college because the body generally can only take so much pounding before it gives out & age was only a small determining factor.

Here we are all of these years later and some of these high school players are starting to leave the game in their early 30's and have body's that are giving out. Sure there are some who are still going strong but I fell I was correct when I told them that these guys would not be playing into their 40's and have careers that were 25 years in nature.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    He needs to go into the painting business. He could sell franchises called "Dominate the Paint".
    I think he'd be better in the barbershop business where he could do fades all day.

I thought he played pretty well in the playoffs. It's too bad the history is here; if I could put that all aside I'd want him to come back.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO was and still is one of my favorite players.

For those of us that like Jermaine, we remember the MIP year and the following 6 All-Star seasons.

We remember the 61-win season when he came in 3rd place in MVP voting.

We remember that he is the only Indiana Pacers player to be named to an All-NBA 2nd team and made the 3rd team twice.

We remember the 2003 series against the Boston Celtics where he averaged 17.5 rebounds (including 2 games with more than 20).

We also remember that although he only played 8 seasons with the Pacers, he is the all-time leading shot blocker for the NBA franchise. He also was a top 5 shot blocker in the NBA in 4 of those seasons and 9th in 2 other seasons.

This website said it best about JO (they ranked him the 3rd best Pacers player of All-Time behind Reggie and Mel Daniels):

http://www.hoopsmanifesto.com/articl...-all-time.html

3) Jermaine O'Neal - Indiana Pacers - 2000 - 2008

Pacers accomplishments:

- Pacers all-time leader in blocks
    - NBA leader in blocks in 2000/01
    - six-time NBA All-Star
    - three-time All-NBA selection
    - NBA Most Improved Player

"Coming in a trade to the then-Eastern Conference champions for All-Star Dale Davis, O'Neal surpassed every expectation in Indiana. He became the prototypical power forward of the 21st century and even led the Pacers to championship contention before the brawl with the Pistons ruined that franchise." - Diego Quezada

"While he may be remembered more in Indiana for his knees breaking down and his role in the horrific fight at the Palace of Auburn Hills, O'Neal's career was actually a pretty solid one while he was with Indiana. Before injuries really zapped his power, he was a great post defender and a great offensive player in the low post with range to step back and hit the jumper. Amazing how injuries make you forget just how explosive he was." - Philip
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You know who would make a good back-up PF/C for us? Jermaine O'Neal.
    i don't think JO would want to come back here and be a bench player. NBA player have fragile egos. JO would want to start and prove that he still has gas left in his tank.

Interesting he came in the same draft class of Kobe, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, AI and only Kobe/Nash/Ray Ray remain everyone else is gone reminds me of this video

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I wish I wish I wish I could go back and find an archived thread from the Indystar day's of a battle between Will Galen, Arkman40, Doug, Ben N & myself over length of players staying in the NBA.

This was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when all of the young guys were coming out of high school & I theorized that they would not be in the NBA any longer than guys coming out of college because the body generally can only take so much pounding before it gives out & age was only a small determining factor.

Here we are all of these years later and some of these high school players are starting to leave the game in their early 30's and have body's that are giving out. Sure there are some who are still going strong but I fell I was correct when I told them that these guys would not be playing into their 40's and have careers that were 25 years in nature.
    I agree, mileage is way more important. The only way I think you can fight the trend is if you're working out as often and as intensely as Kobe Bryant does. Otherwise, you'll drop off earlier than you might expect if you started logging serious minutes when you were 19, 20, 21.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    i don't think JO would want to come back here and be a bench player. NBA player have fragile egos. JO would want to start and prove that he still has gas left in his tank.
    O'Neal has already said he wants to retire a Pacer by signing a one-day contract with the team. He knows he's not a starter anymore. I would assume if he plays another season it would be strictly to go for a championship, so that would likely preclude him from coming back here to actually play next season.

He'll probably be a Pacer again, but it'll just be the symbolic 1-day deal.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jermaine was a great player until his health went south.

I liked him, I still do. No harm in that.

I'm okay with that 1-day contract for him to retire a Pacer.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man, I miss those days... when JO was just a beast in his prime. Got serious consideration for MVP one year. Easily our 3rd best player in franchise history, all due respect to Granger. JO was just... beast. It was awesome having such a great low-post presence.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

JO, bring him back for one year. With our team he could provide a nice punch off the bench for about 10 minutes.

Just as long as he signed cheap.

If he does retire, then I wish him the best for him and his family. I will always remember JO fondly.

For some reason, I always recall how he'd dig his toes in at the FT line like he was in a batters box or something. Always made me laugh.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Man, I miss those days... when JO was just a beast in his prime. Got serious consideration for MVP one year. Easily our 3rd best player in franchise history, all due respect to Granger. JO was just... beast. It was awesome having such a great low-post presence.
    Oh man, that sweet post-hook shot he had...

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

The demise of JO and Tmac in their early 30's seem to back you up, that's for sure.

Tmac turns 32 in a month and is a shell of himself. JO has been a shell for years.

The years even seem to be catching up to Kobe a bit and he's just 32. 15 years of pounding it super hard takes it's toll, and when you factor in all of the playoff games he's played then it's not hard to see why the guy looked really tired this postseason (not to mention the Olympics).

Tim Duncan didn't come straight out of HS, but it's sad to see how far that guy has fallen.

My .02 is that both O'Neals should retire. They just need to fade into the setting sun. Neither can play anymore, so no need to degrade oneself trying when one just can't get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The demise of JO and Tmac in their early 30's seem to back you up, that's for sure.

Tmac turns 32 in a month and is a shell of himself. JO has been a shell for years.

The years even seem to be catching up to Kobe a bit and he's just 32. 15 years of pounding it super hard takes it's toll, and when you factor in all of the playoff games he's played then it's not hard to see why the guy looked really tired this postseason (not to mention the Olympics).

Tim Duncan didn't come straight out of HS, but it's sad to see how far that guy has fallen.

KG isn't the player he was either.

NBA basketball has to be the most grueling sport when the ridiculously long schedule is factored in. It is really hard for the human body to maintain that onslaught. Especially the knees. We got shortchanged by evolution with the knees.

JO should be considered one of the Pacer greats, I'd love for him to come back just as a defensive presence if only he could play most of the games. I don't think that will happen, and it would be hard to see him sitting on the bench in nice suits every game all over again.

Here is a good question. Does he get his Jersey retired?

Sports Logo

Yeah, we had some crap with him, but I think we should all wish him well and personally I'd like to see him in our uni again.
    When I think of JO I don't think about the brawl, I think about one of our best forwards in franchise history. I also remember when he scored 55 points and went to the bench so he won't break reggie's record.
    He did have a bad contract though :P

35. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post: