http://www.10news.com/news/27802565/detail.html

Chargers' Antwan Applewhite Arrested On Suspicion Of DUI
Applewhite, 25, Arrested Friday Morning

POSTED: 10:10 am PDT May 6, 2011
UPDATED: 5:00 pm PDT May 6, 2011

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers' Antwan Applewhite was arrested Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence, according to the San Diego Police Department.

The 25-year-old linebacker was pulled over at 2:23 a.m. near Grand Avenue and Gresham Street in Pacific Beach and given a DUI evaluation. During the course of the evaluation Applewhite was placed under arrest.

A female in the silver Infiniti sedan was given a courtesy ride to another location by officials -- likely her home -- and not taken into custody during the incident.

Applewhite was booked at 4:09 a.m. He posted $2,500 bail later in the day and was released on his own recognizance, SDPD Lt. Andra Brown said.

His court date is scheduled for June 17.

10News reporter Salvador Rivera tried to speak to Applewhite at his home Friday afternoon, but Applewhite said, "I don't want to talk about it right now ... that's all I'm going to say."

The San Diego Chargers released the following statement Friday afternoon: Its disappointing to hear about the issue involving Antwan Applewhite. Well continue to monitor the situation and let the legal process run its course.

Charger fan Robert Clark reacted to Applewhite's arrest and told 10News, "It's probably more of a character issue, not a team deal. They should stay clear of those players, that way situations like these don't happen in the future."

San Diego State University student Amanda Causey told 10News, "I feel he should know he's representing a lot of people. It's disappointing."

Applewhite was signed by the Chargers in 2007 as an undrafted free agent after playing college football at SDSU from 2003 to 2006.

According to his bio on the Chargers website, Applewhite was a criminal justice major at SDSU.

When asked if he had anything to say to Charger fans, Applewhite said, "I just don't know if I'm ready ... I'll have a statement later about it."