Thread: If you had it to do over again...

Default If you had it to do over again...

Would you have traded Al and Croshere to Minnesota in return for cap space?

If it had meant keeping Brad?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: If you had it to do over again...

Probably not.

What kills me is everything I read during the summer indicated that Donnie came damn close to being able to slip in as a 5th team in that 4-team sprewell trade, and would have landed us Brandon's contract for Croshere and Mercer. Could have had our cake and eaten it too if that had gone through.

I started at least one thread late last summer saying that the Pacers choose AL over Brad Miller and I still believe that in the end that was the choice made and I think it was the correct choice.

I started at least one thread late last summer saying that the Pacers choose AL over Brad Miller and I still believe that in the end that was the choice made and I think it was the correct choice.
    But then again if they had chosen Brad & traded Al you would have still said it was the correct choice.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

But then again if they had chosen Brad & traded Al you would have still said it was the correct choice.
    That's because the guy in the chair is Donnie Walsh and we serve him:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I wouldn't have done the Minn trade.

I just wouldn't have given Foster & Bender those extensions.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

If you were Minnesota, would you rather have Latrell Spreewell or Harrington/Croshere? I do not think we had the chance to trade.

With Brad Miller playing like he has, I find it hard to argue that B. Miller would not have fit well into Carlisle's system, so I won't try.

Also, the Pacers team salary-wise would have been much better off taking the Minnesota deal, if it were available.

With Brad signed at 7 mil and Cro and Al gone, team payroll would have dropped over six million each year for the next few years counting Ron Mercer's salary at full value.

And, we would have had much greater flexibility in terms of acquiring players who could make an impact. For one, Mercer's expiring contract might have been parlayed into a guard who would contribute big time.

Things can change. Injuries. Or Brad Miller's game can deteriorate. Maybe, Al Harrington can really break out into a full-blown star, or we might trade him for one. But I'd say, right now, looking back, if the Minnesota deal was really offered, we should have taken it.

Brad has just played too well.

I wouldn't have done the Minn trade.

I just wouldn't have given Foster & Bender those extensions.
    If we hadn't given Bender that extension where would the team be now without him? ....oh... wait.... nevermind...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden