Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nene may opt out of contract with Nuggets

Default Nene may opt out of contract with Nuggets

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17978868

By Chris Dempsey
    The Denver Post

On the table in front of Nene are two choices: Take the last year of his contract, which would keep him with the Nuggets, or opt out of his contract, which could make him a former member of the Nuggets.

While no final decision has been made, Nene said Monday he is strongly considering opting out of the final season of his six-year, $60 million contract, which would pay him $12 million, and testing the free-agent market.

After nine seasons in the NBA, Nene has full control of his future and it could take hard work for the Nuggets to make him happy enough to return.

"I've been here for nine years," said Nene, 28. "If that doesn't work how you want it, you need to sit down and evaluate everything and see what you can do."

The overarching issues in this situation are his level of happiness with the Nuggets and, ultimately, his value on the open market.

Players similar to him — Utah's Al Jefferson, Chicago's Carlos Boozer and Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge — will make $11 million to $14 million next season. The NBA's new collective bargaining agreement will have the final say about what the market can offer Nene, but he stands to command big dollars.

Nuggets executives Masai Ujiri and Josh Kroenke have said they want Nene back, but will have to ask themselves how high they want to go.

But it's not all about the next contract for Nene. There is a large component of appreciation that Nene says is missing, and that's proving to be equally as important as the dollars.

"If I play happy, if I enjoy the game, my game improves," Nene said. "I did my best for the team, for the city. I tried to do my best for the fans. But the (Nuggets) need to understand you need to see the return on the other side, or you need to look for it. You need to look for it sometimes.

"They don't realize all of the sacrifices I made. When you don't feel appreciated, it's hard."

During his career in Denver, Nene has had to battle back from major injuries and ailments: a torn ACL in his right knee in the 2005-06 season opener, a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb in November 2007 and a bout with testicular cancer in January 2008.

Nene made it through and has been a durable player the past three seasons, playing no fewer than 75 games.

This season, Nene set a career high in field-goal percentage (.615). The 6-foot-11 center from Brazil was near career highs in points (averaging 14.5), free-throw percentage (.711) and rebounds (averaging 7.6).

"I'm very professional. I do my best and I want the team to do their best too — look good, have the best players they can have, be smart," Nene said.

And he intends to continue operating in that fashion whether it's with the Nuggets or another team.

"Nine years you give your best to represent the Denver Nuggets name," Nene said. "There's not many players that take that seriously, that name. I did because I want to be here. I want to retire here. But God says you know your present, but your future is in his hands."

I certainly hope he does! And if so, we need to go after him big time. If you're going to overpay anyone this summer, this is the guy. This is that Player X we used to talk about. The guy who is a good fit next to Roy AND Tyler.

We can pay as much as anyone for this guy, and this franchise is known for treating its players like angels. Oh, and there's the part where he's a huge, huge missing piece for us towards becoming a contender.

Admittedly, his stats aren't as good as I thought they were, but I still think he's a great fit here. Big, skilled, athletic, a finisher. Not the rebounder I thought he was, but not terrible.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Default Re: Nene may opt out of contract with Nuggets

Made my morning! Pacers will be in GREAT position to sign him, come on Larry Legend!!!!!
    Murph

Nene!!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he would be a nice addition, but by player X are you saying that you think he makes us a contender? I don't know if he makes us that much better, but he would obvioulsy help.
    Last edited by HC; 05-03-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: sorry I see where you said he would be a piece towards becoming a contender
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Banned

Pacers need to get him and in case he doesn't fit with Roy, send Roy to the bench, we need a consistent starting center ASAP.

Going by this:

http://www.82games.com/1011/10DEN17.HTM

He makes their offense better, but he makes their defense a lot better.

Rebounding-wise, he's apparently going to hurt you on offense, but help you scoop up more of them on defense. Not ideal, but we certainly could have used more help with defensive boards against the Bulls.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he would be a nice addition, but by player X are you saying that you think he makes us a contender? I don't know if he makes us that much better, but he would obvioulsy help.
    Player X is the mysterious power forward that used to get discussed a year, two years, ago who would serve as a compliment to both Roy Hibbert and also to Tyler Hansbrough.

You start Nene and Roy, then Roy sits, Tyler comes in, and Nene is the center.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Player X is the mysterious power forward that used to get discussed a year, two years, ago who would serve as a compliment to both Roy Hibbert and also to Tyler Hansbrough.

You start Nene and Roy, then Roy sits, Tyler comes in, and Nene is the center.
    I can live with that

Holy crap, I hope we go HARD after him.

If all we did this summer is sign him I would be on Cloud 9.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

I certainly hope he does! And if so, we need to go after him big time. If you're going to overpay anyone this summer, this is the guy. This is that Player X we used to talk about. The guy who is a good fit next to Roy AND Tyler.

We can pay as much as anyone for this guy, and this franchise is known for treating its players like angels. Oh, and there's the part where he's a huge, huge missing piece for us towards becoming a contender.

Admittedly, his stats aren't as good as I thought they were, but I still think he's a great fit here. Big, skilled, athletic, a finisher. Not the rebounder I thought he was, but not terrible.
    My issue with Nene is inconsistent defensive effort. Given Hibbert's defensive issues, it's a problem. Can Vogel do what George Karl could not and keep Nene engaged at all times? If this was Horford or Noah, I'd be exstatic about pursuing him. Nene is a good rotation guy with painfull flaws that also happen to be Hibbert's flaws.

Interesting...I don't know why I thought his stats were better than that.

The way I look at it and I posted it before Nene will take about 15 million per year. Thats a lot of money for one guy and I am reluctant to offer him that type of money so we can have a pf/c "fit" with the team.

What would be a better overall team. Offer Nene 15 million and hopefully grab Mayo with our draft pick or offer Dalembert 8 to 10 mill/year and offer Crawford 8-10 mill/year.

To me Crawford trumps Mayo by a lot and Dalembert is pretty close to Nene.

I don't view Dalembert as someone who plays at the 4, and I also don't think he's nearly the threat offensively Nene is. I'd take the former combo every time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

What is the scenerio as to why he would want to come here. Money OK, but do we know the Nuggets aren't going to pay him as much as we would?

I watched Dalembert some when he was in Philly I think, and tried to get behind the guy. I just don't think he is that good. I would easily overpay for Nene before giving Dalembert that kind of money.

If anything, I would rather just take a flier on a young C in the draft or bring in a Euro guy(Stanko) than sign Dalembert.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    What is the scenerio as to why he would want to come here. Money OK, but do we know the Nuggets aren't going to pay him as much as we would?
    Well he feels under-appreciated in Denver. I know we would pitch it to him like he would be a major part of our team, and he most certainly would be.

The fan support would be pretty strong too I would think. I already like him as a player and his name is Nene which is unique/easily marketable. I could easily see him becoming a fan favorite for his thunderous one handed jams and energetic play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No we don't know, that is the reason why teams send an offer to see if the other team match.
    I have a feeling that Denver is going to start going young and wouldn't like to pay to much for a guy that is 28, I would expect them to ask for Roy also(in a sign and trade)

I don't view Dalembert as someone who plays at the 4, and I also don't think he's nearly the threat offensively Nene is. I'd take the former combo every time.
    I don't think either are much of a threat offensively. I think Dalembert could play pf and center. He similar in height and weight to Nene and he would be a better rebounder and shot blocker.

I would really like a big line up that we dominate the paint with but I don't want to sacrafice almost all the capspace to do it. For sure Bird will go after Mayo and if he does he will want to resign him which will be around 7 million per year or more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    The way I look at it and I posted it before Nene will take about 15 million per year. Thats a lot of money for one guy and I am reluctant to offer him that type of money so we can have a pf/c "fit" with the team.

What would be a better overall team. Offer Nene 15 million and hopefully grab Mayo with our draft pick or offer Dalembert 8 to 10 mill/year and offer Crawford 8-10 mill/year.

To me Crawford trumps Mayo by a lot and Dalembert is pretty close to Nene.
    Sam Dalembert is a bum, IMHO. Seriously, he is an underachiever with little to no offensive game, and he has a poor work ethic.

He was kicked off the Canadian National team because of his attitude a few years back and he reportedly had problems with 2 different coaches in Philly because he doesn't like to practice.

Although he's not the rebounder Dalembert is, Nene is a much better player. If you're the opposing team, you have to include him as a player you have to stop in your gameplan. He's a very good team defender as well and I think if he had the opportunity to play more minutes at PF he would be even more effective. The Pacers can give him that opportunity.

I agree that Jamal Crawford would be much better for the Pacers (he's the #1 free agent I would love them to sign) but as Atlanta continues to compete and win, it's going to be harder to pull him away from the Hawks.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 05-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

Here's Nene's production compared to the production of our other bigs.

For those who care about this sort of thing, Nene had the 26th best PER in the league this past season, 5th best amongst centers.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Sam Dalembert is a bum, IMHO. Seriously, he is an underachiever with little to no offensive game, and he has a poor work ethic.

He was kicked off the Canadian National team because of his attitude a few years back and he reportedly had problems with 2 different coaches in Philly because he doesn't like to practice.

Although he's not the rebounder Dalembert is, Nene is a much better player. If you're the opposing team, you have to include him as a player you have to stop in your gameplan. He's a very good team defender as well and I think if he had the opportunity to play more minutes at PF he would be even more effective. The Pacers can give him that opportunity.

I agree that Jamal Crawford would be much better for the Pacers (he's the #1 free agent I would love them to sign) but as Atlanta continues to compete and win, it's going to be harder to pull him away from the Hawks.
    I highly doubt the Hawks resign Crawford. It would put them around 80 million in team salary which is very step for Atlanta.

We are just going to have to disagree with Dalembert. Nene's is not a sure lock for the money and I am not even sure he the pf/c every one is making him out to be. The guy may be good but in my mind he isn't 15 million per year and the best player on your team good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Nene would be a good fit. It's all about the price though.

Also, no thanks on Dalembert. This frontline needs to get bulkier and stronger on the frontline, not skinnier and more frail. Besides blocking shots, what would Dalembert give us that we really need?

He is perfect for what we need. He will be one of the oldest players, but I think he can give five solid years at least.

From a basketball standpoint, I think he would look at our team as a good opportunity. He would be THE man, or at least one of the top guys. We have a young team with tons of potential where he could be the guy who pushes us beyond mediocrity into good and dangerous.

The downside is how cold it gets in winter time... and he is from Brazil, but heck, he has been playing in Denver for the last 9 years, so he is probably used to it by now.

We need our guys like Danny, Roy, DC and Paul talking to people like Nene, or whoever else we are trying to get, and getting them excited about the future of the Indiana Pacers. I think the future looks very bright, if we can just get one or two more pieces.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I highly doubt the Hawks resign Crawford. It would put them around 80 million in team salary which is very step for Atlanta.

We are just going to have to disagree with Dalembert. Nene's is not a sure lock for the money and I am not even sure he the pf/c every one is making him out to be. The guy may be good but in my mind he isn't 15 million per year and the best player on your team good.
    If the Hawks don't re-sign Crawford and the Pacers do, I'll be dancing for joy. I've wanted Jamal Crawford on the Pacers since he was in Chicago. He just plays so well in the playoffs and he can be a catch-and-shoot scorer or create his own shot off the dribble and guys like that are hard to find.

No matter where Nene goes, he won't get a contract starting anywhere north of 12 million. It might eventually grow to 15 million by year 3 but I would expect him to get a deal like Noah and Horford got. He's worth as much as Horford especially. Big men come at a premium price.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

I am sorry but aren't you the same guy that keeps pushing for us to sign Dwest for close to that kind of money even after he got hurt?